Apple Magic Mouse OSX86 - external bluetooth dongle

Dannydeman

453 posts in this topic

Also, yes, it does wake from sleep there are a few that do and are documented throughout this thread. Lastly, applying the firmware update will cause Windows to lose BT functionality, that is it won't see the adapter.
I came to different findings. Resume from sleep is broken in my vanilla 10.6.2 installation; the corresponding entry on the Bluetooth settings page is greyed out. Also, the DBT-120 continues to work even with Windows after the firmware update - all you need is to tweak it into the HCI mode. You might want to read the in-depth explanation and download the Windows utility from this post.

Hey antipop,

sorry, I took some time to check your suggestion out just to be sure that I'm not doing it wrong. I'm sorry say - still no luck for me. Even with pairing the devices via the keyboard and mouse panels in the OS X settings, only my keyboard remains paired in Windows 7.

I did recognize something interesting nevertheless: When I boot up in Windows 7 and the mouse isn't in its list of known devices yet, pressing the mouse button leads to an incoming connection request from the mouse. Yes, the mouse tries to establish a connection to the computer! It also requests a pairing code (0000 works) what it doesn't do when the connection is initiated from the computers side.

However, the result remains the same: As soon as the mouse works in Windows 7, it gets unpaired in OS X and vice versa.

well, here's exactly what i did, it doesn't logically make sense to me in any way but... i'm pretty sure first i had uninstalled the drivers in win 7 by removing it through the control panel/programs & features. i then went to bluetooth and went to "add device" when mouse is find just highlight it and click next and go through the pairing process (when i would right click the device and hit properties it would ask me for pairing code, don't do this) - after the mouse is working, reboot into snow and re-pair the device (may as well do it through the system preferences/mouse/& bluetooth device). then i booted back into windows, it wasn't working as i anticipated.. but i was just at the point where i could follow the apple support article instructions. i shut down windows, booted back up into snow (where the mouse was working) and re-paired it through system preferences/mouse/ add bluetooth device anyways... rebooted back into windows & lo and behold the mouse was working (after a couple mouse clicks)... if you get to this point, then install the windows drivers for the magic mouse to get functionality of scrolling and such.

i know what i've said is pretty bizarre, but humor me and try it lol.

*btw, at no point should you be asked for a pairing code in windows if i hadn't made that clear.

I came to different findings. Resume from sleep is broken in my vanilla 10.6.2 installation; the corresponding entry on the Bluetooth settings page is greyed out. Also, the DBT-120 continues to work even with Windows after the firmware update - all you need is to tweak it into the HCI mode. You might want to read the in-depth explanation and download the Windows utility from this post.

Right. I meant it won't work on it's own =P.

However, today I got the B4 D-Link adapter, plugged it in, and the wake from sleep option is still grayed out! I tried updating firmware using the one you provided. However as I said before I noticed that the firmware update utility is PPC only and I was wondering if it worked under our hacks. I proceeded to update anyways, and it did not want to update. Stating it did not find a compatible device.

So I then plugged it into my old iBook and updated it through there fine! I also noticed that BT option to wake from sleep was then available to me. On the iBook that is. I took this as a great sign, plugged it back into my desktop, and no luck! =/ The option is still unavailable here in 64bit 10.6.2.

Could there be a different firmware we can try? When I was manually searching for the firmware in the Apple Support page, there was a v1.2.1 and a 2.0.2 IIRC.

Right. I meant it won't work on it's own =P.

However, today I got the B4 D-Link adapter, plugged it in, and the wake from sleep option is still grayed out! I tried updating firmware using the one you provided. However as I said before I noticed that the firmware update utility is PPC only and I was wondering if it worked under our hacks. I proceeded to update anyways, and it did not want to update. Stating it did not find a compatible device.

So I then plugged it into my old iBook and updated it through there fine! I also noticed that BT option to wake from sleep was then available to me. On the iBook that is. I took this as a great sign, plugged it back into my desktop, and no luck! =/ The option is still unavailable here in 64bit 10.6.2.

Could there be a different firmware we can try? When I was manually searching for the firmware in the Apple Support page, there was a v1.2.1 and a 2.0.2 IIRC.

Thanks for posting your results. Were you able to get into the BIOS screen with the wireless keyboard after the firmware update? That is the feature I am most interested in.

Thanks,

Bruno

Nope, not working in BIOS =/ I too was looking forward to that functionality.

Could it be a SL bug? As I said, updated firmware through a PPC Mac, and the "Allow wake from sleep" BT option in Sys Prefs was then available, but only on that PPC Mac which was still running 10.5.7 (haven't updated it to .8)

On the Apple support forums, I did see other people having the same issue with SL with the same adapter.

Edit: I think I just lost sleep on idle.. =/

landmark, do you still have system sleep on idle?

Edit: Went into Energy Saving options and turned them all on. Then tested sleep on idle, and it worked fine. Not sure why I didn't have to before.

Yet another Edit:

Keyboard works now in BIOS! I didn't notice before, because it takes like 2-3 seconds for it to kick in. I guess I was impatient before to notice.

Nope, not working in BIOS =/ I too was looking forward to that functionality.

Could it be a SL bug? As I said, updated firmware through a PPC Mac, and the "Allow wake from sleep" BT option in Sys Prefs was then available, but only on that PPC Mac which was still running 10.5.7 (haven't updated it to .8)

On the Apple support forums, I did see other people having the same issue with SL with the same adapter.

Edit: I think I just lost sleep on idle.. =/

landmark, do you still have system sleep on idle?

Edit: Went into Energy Saving options and turned them all on. Then tested sleep on idle, and it worked fine. Not sure why I didn't have to before.

Yet another Edit:

Keyboard works now in BIOS! I didn't notice before, because it takes like 2-3 seconds for it to kick in. I guess I was impatient before to notice.

Thanks for the update! Purchased a Rev B4 of this dongle on eBay for $7 a couple of days ago! Can't wait to try it when it gets here.

What OS was your iBook running? Can the DBT-120 only be flashed from a non-Snow Leopard machine?

Bruno

Well the iBook is running Leopard 10.5.7 (just haven't taken the time to update it to the latest 10.5.8). The firmware update utility states it is PPC only, though it did install and run under SL 10.6.2, but it failed stating that the device was not compatible. So I ran it on my non-intel PPC iBook and it updated fine there.

I also got the BT wake from sleep there, but not on SL. I'm guessing there's a very good chance it's a SL bug. Here's hoping they fix it in the upcoming 10.6.3 update. I found real mac users with the same issue with the same adapter (DBT-120) when upgrading to Snow Leopard, stating it worked fine in Leopard.

forgive me for my noob-ness and having a hard time keeping up with all this talk. i have the targus acb10us ver. 1, and have the problem where i can't get it to post with it plugged in; it just freezes up. it will work if i insert once SL begins loading. focusing on this specific problem, what is the hangup at the bios phase? this seems like a problem separate from a SL/hackintosh thing. is it something fundamentally off with the dongle hardware? i just don't get why this thing wouldn't be able to get past the freakin' bios. like locusofcontrol said a ways back, it seems like it thinks it's a bootable device. is there no way to disable this?

forgive me for my noob-ness and having a hard time keeping up with all this talk. i have the targus acb10us ver. 1, and have the problem where i can't get it to post with it plugged in; it just freezes up. it will work if i insert once SL begins loading. focusing on this specific problem, what is the hangup at the bios phase? this seems like a problem separate from a SL/hackintosh thing. is it something fundamentally off with the dongle hardware? i just don't get why this thing wouldn't be able to get past the freakin' bios. like locusofcontrol said a ways back, it seems like it thinks it's a bootable device. is there no way to disable this?

Well, if you believe your BIOS is loading your BT dongle as a bootable device, you may should organize boot priority in BIOS and select your BT device to be the last on to boot in boot priority list. :P

Cheers,

bb.

Dunno if anyone has experienced this problem, but all of a sudden whenever my computer switches off the display and I wake it up, the mouse pointer is invisible. I can still click away as if it was there, but it takes a hellavalot of random clicking to make it come back which is rather annoying.

Anyone heard of this?

I've tried following ttgolf's instructions and using his modified kext to wake from sleep with the magic mouse, but I have a problem. I can wake from sleep by clicking the mouse, but the cursor will then be frozen and the mouse doesn't work. I then have to pull my (Broadcom) Trust Bt-2400p dongle out and back in to make it work again.

If I wake with my (wired) keyboard this doesn't happen, it's just when I use the mouse. I thought it could be something to do with the kexts I'm using (evoreboot and OSXrestart) but I tried removing them and have the same issue. I also tried trashing the com.apple.bluetooth.plist file so it is recreated but this doesn't help. I've tried the dongle in different USB slots but the same thing happens.

I had to change the product ID as mine is 2101 (8449 in decimal) but a few others seem to have changed it to this value successfully.

Any ideas? I've got an Asus P5K Premium and apart from the restart kexts above I'm using fakesmc, PlatformUUID and AD1988b.

Hi,

for some reasons i feel that the mouse on hackintosh doesn't have the same feel as on the "real" macs.

Am i imagining things?

I tried with the mighty mouse, magic mouse (that i have now) and mx something logitech wired USB.

Anyone else feels a slight lag?

Could it be a USB polling that can be adjusted somewhere?

Quick update -- bought the v1 acb10us (big silver one) and wake from sleep is now available and confirmed working -- wake works through USB HUB and Direct Connect.

As has been discussed this is the official Apple recommended dongle and replaces the DBT120 (back in tiger / leopard days)

Anything to report on 10.6.3 and the Magic Mouse? Is the ACB10US V1.0 have functioning sleep and wake with this update?

When I get some free time, I'll give it a shot myself as well.

well 10.6.3 didn't fix wake using BT for me, still doesn't sleep when enabled (Broadcom Trust 2400p)

CSR Trust 2400p still greyed out

ACB10US still working and waking from sleep with 10.6.3 -- although it now needs to directly attached (rather than through a hub)

Hi

What is the product id for your ACB10US if you don't mind me asking. Does it support both idle and software

sleep or just software sleep (via apple menu)?

Hi

What is the product id for your ACB10US if you don't mind me asking. Does it support both idle and software

sleep or just software sleep (via apple menu)?

Has anyone tried adding their USB adapter's ID info to the injector kext I posted earlier with 10.6.3?

Has anyone tried adding their USB adapter's ID info to the injector kext I posted earlier with 10.6.3?

I'm just putting the BT dongle product id into the Broadcom plugin's plist, does your injector do something

different? (not sure what you were referring to by USB Adapter?)

Quick update -- I am using Targus ACB10US v1 (the big silver one). Confirmed in 10.6.3 that both idle sleep, softsleep work; and wake (either) works. Should be noted that i'm still on mighty mouse and haven't made the jump to magic mouse quite yet.

targus-usb-bluetooth-adapter-acb10eu-p_46321.png

here is the Apple official support kb, funny enough they don't mention the version of the device.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3940

Here is my profiler

Apple Bluetooth Software Version: 2.3.1f4

Hardware Settings:

Address: 00-16-38-c0-4b-d0

Manufacturer: Broadcom

Firmware Version: 92 (8335)

Bluetooth Power: On

Discoverable: Yes

Vendor ID: 0xa5c

Product ID: 0x2100

HCI Version: 3 (0x3)

HCI Revision: 8335 (0x208f)

LMP Version: 3 (0x3)

LMP Subversion: 16732 (0x415c)

Device Type (Major): Computer

Device Type (Complete): Macintosh Desktop

Composite Class Of Device: 3670276 (0x380104)

Device Class (Major): 1 (0x1)

Device Class (Minor): 1 (0x1)

Service Class: 448 (0x1c0)

Requires Authentication: No

I can confirm that sleep works with a bluetooth magic mouse and bluetooth wireless aluminum apple keyboard with a V1.0 ACB10US, so long as "Allow Bluetooth Devices To Wake This Computer" is NOT checked. This will allow the computer to sleep normally, and you can use the power button on your computer to wake the machine. Having the "Bluetooth Wake" option checked results in the computer going to sleep and waking immediately. Anyone have a fix for this?

Either way, it's a step in the right direction.