Apple Magic Mouse OSX86 - external bluetooth dongle

Dannydeman

453 posts in this topic

OK I got the Logitech Bluetooth Mini Receiver for Dinovo keyboard. Unfortunately it does not even show up as a Bluetooth device on a mac. Apparently this bluetooth dongle will only work with the keyboard and nothing else. It's a shame.

Anyway my search continues............

I read in another forum that Anycom USB-250 will work during POST. Just got one from ebay for $12. Will try it out and let you know.

I have read through the whole topic now but haven't found an answer to my question :angel:.

The only bluetooth adapter my store sells is this one: http://www.trust.com/products/product.aspx?artnr=16008

It's not the 2400p, but will it work with my hackintosh (GA-EX58-UD5) and can i do sleep/wake from sleep with mouse?

I'm only going to use this adapter for the magic mouse but would like to wake from sleep with my magic mouse.

Thanks ^_^

I have read through the whole topic now but haven't found an answer to my question ;).

The only bluetooth adapter my store sells is this one: http://www.trust.com/products/product.aspx?artnr=16008

It's not the 2400p, but will it work with my hackintosh (GA-EX58-UD5) and can i do sleep/wake from sleep with mouse?

I'm only going to use this adapter for the magic mouse but would like to wake from sleep with my magic mouse.

Hi

Guess you missed my post on Dec 18th :P

I also have a Trust 2.1 dongle http://www.trust.com/products/product.aspx?artnr=16008

It doesn't work for me, EX58-UD5 wont even boot with it, if you install it during SL boot it will work but doesn't

wake from sleep

I finally got my Targus ACB10US last week. This is the old version (Long stick). I can confirm as well that it works out of the box. Wake from Bluetooth device check box is also visible. Sleep and Wake no problem. The only issue I have is Idle (Auto software) sleep won't work if I have Wake from Bluetooth device is checked. I believe LocusOfControl have confirm the same issue.

Bottom line - we have two Bluetooth Dongles that will support "Allow Bluetooth Devices to wake this computer" option in Bluetooth Preferences. These are Trust 2400P and Targus ACB10US (long stick).

Also wake/sleep all working except idle sleep.

One other question for everyone - can you check to see if you can get into BIOS with your BT keyboard? I read that Logitech DiNovo keyboard bluetooth dongle support this feature. I am planning to get one to try it out. It looks like a common problem for any BT keyboard. It will not work until the OS is loaded. I read in a forum that some BT dongle will support HID Proxy mode which will "pretend" to be an actual keyboard during boot up (POST). Search for the PERFECT BT dongle continues.............

Hi, where did you get the Trust 2400P and Targus ACB10US? THanks

i just received Trust Bluetooth dongle from eBay (it is version 2, not version 2.1 as in Trust website), and I would like to confirm it works with my Logitech Travel Mouse.

The mouse is still connected after resuming from sleep.

I have another one which is a generic brand with CSR chip inside, on the contrary this one lost connection after resuming from sleep. Only rebooting will remedy the issue.

So, the Trust one is better even though it is more expensive.

• 2 weeks later...
I know this is old - so maybe everyone is already working well but.. I have a Trend TBW-105UB that works fine, sleep and all. Can wake with mouse too.
Can you take a snapshot of the USB device in system profiler so we can see the Product ID and Vendor ID?

It would be helpful from now on to know what each manufacturer uses for a chipset. Apple only supports a few, Cambridge Silicon Radio and Broadcom are two of them. We should compile a list of all the USB devices. If you all post them I'll compile them into another thread.

Can you take a snapshot of the USB device in system profiler so we can see the Product ID and Vendor ID?

It would be helpful from now on to know what each manufacturer uses for a chipset. Apple only supports a few, Cambridge Silicon Radio and Broadcom are two of them. We should compile a list of all the USB devices. If you all post them I'll compile them into another thread.

Sorry guys - I haven't been able to reproduce being able to wake the machine from sleep using the mouse. I might have hit the keyboard at the same time and not realized it? Anyway, other than that, it works fine. It works after the machine wakes but you just cant use it to actually WAKE the machine. :)

post-540278-1263175766_thumb.png

Sorry guys - I haven't been able to reproduce being able to wake the machine from sleep using the mouse. I might have hit the keyboard at the same time and not realized it? Anyway, other than that, it works fine. It works after the machine wakes but you just cant use it to actually WAKE the machine.
What brand and model USB Bluetooth device is this?

today i bought a sitecom bt stick. name: sitecom USB micro adapter bluetooth 2.1 version

on the package it claims that it is windows xp/ vista/ and osx compatible. I tried it in both machines, Powermac G5 running leopard and my hackintosh running 10.6.2 and it gets listed in system profiler in both machines. as i have no magic mouse at the moment, im not able to tell if its working with that stick, but on first sight all seems to work ok

Hello Everyone!

I read all 9 pages of this forum and I learned alot although I do have a question.

1. I'm looking to pair the new Magic Mouse to just a regular Windows Laptop without Bluetooth on it. Do I just need to purchase one of these http://www.outletpc.com/c7522.html ?

I have got it to work with a Laptop running Windows only that already has built in Bluetooth but not sure if it will work with a Bluetooth Dongle on a non bluetooth enabled PC. I used the guide below to get it to work with scrolling on my Windows based computer with the built in bluetooth.

http://uneasysilence.com/archive/2009/11/14588/

Hello Everyone!

I read all 9 pages of this forum and I learned alot although I do have a question.

1. I'm looking to pair the new Magic Mouse to just a regular Windows Laptop without Bluetooth on it. Do I just need to purchase one of these http://www.outletpc.com/c7522.html ?

I have got it to work with a Laptop running Windows only that already has built in Bluetooth but not sure if it will work with a Bluetooth Dongle on a non bluetooth enabled PC. I used the guide below to get it to work with scrolling on my Windows based computer with the built in bluetooth.

http://uneasysilence.com/archive/2009/11/14588/

I seemed to have a lot of problems with wireless mice on windows but trying 4 different BT dongles didn't present

any problems provided windows had the drivers or I installed them with the provide cd.

The main problem I had was that windows 7 kept forgetting the pairing of the mouse (I don't use it often enough

to care about fixing it, not sure where to look) after I rebooted. Apart from that it worked fine

One of the dongles I had is the european version of that one you linked to, it was a much older chip than my other

3 dongles but with appropriate drivers it worked fine

Never tested sleep/wake on windows though, also I never used any driver hacks on windows so was just using

it like a basic mouse, ie no touch scrolling

I am going to share my experience with waking from sleep with Trust BT Dongle and Magic Mouse or Aluminum BT Keyboard.

Just like on post #113 I added this to Info.plist

<dict>
		<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
		<string>com.apple.driver.BroadcomUSBBluetoothHCIController</string>
		<key>IOClass</key>
		<string>Broadcom2045FamilyUSBBluetoothHCIController</string>
		<key>IOProviderClass</key>
		<string>IOUSBDevice</string>
		<key>IOProviderMergeProperties</key>
		<dict>
			<key>ClassicMustNotSeize</key>
			<true/>
		</dict>
		<key>idProduct</key>
		<integer>8449</integer>
		<key>idVendor</key>
		<integer>2652</integer>
	</dict>

Product ID 0x2101
VendorID 0xa5c

Now "Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer" was not shaded out and I tested it, all worked fine, with a touch of the mouse button or touch of a key on the keyboard. Not sure if this was after another reboot, but I started getting those weird mouse issues. Soon as you pick up the mouse the pointer jumps to another part of the screen! Also I now have 4 other BT devices detected under "Bluetooth" in "System Preferences" weird much ? I don't know exactly what these are but they were not listed before AND now the only way I know to fix the weird mouse issue is to fully shut the sytem down and power off the PSU and then turn back on, or sometimes unplugging the BT dongle. Now it's weird because I did have this issue before and it may have been caused by having the BT dongle inside the case and it also seems when I get disconnected it's a real pain to get connected again. Since I have done this mod I have had the mouse and keyboard disconnect after reboot a couple times, I just tested that now and it connected fine.... Now going back into "Bluetooth" "Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer" is shaded out, but wake from mouse still works....

I've yet to read the whole thread so forgive me if I have missed some posts regarding these issues. Also is wake working for you guys by moving the mouse or just clicking the mouse button ?

My product ID is way different.........

hi,

I got my MM to work fine with the BT2400 dongle. Works perfect without setup, even after sleep. But: "Wake from sleep" is greyed out for me. I wanted to adjust the IOBluetoothFamily.kext's Info.plist to make it work, unfortunatly I can only find the right one for Broadcom based BT dongles, but my BT2400 is Cambridge based.

Any ideas where to find the kext that handles Cambridge BT devices? Afaik, apple uses them themselves so there has to be a kext for that somewhere.

hi,

I got my MM to work fine with the BT2400 dongle. Works perfect without setup, even after sleep. But: "Wake from sleep" is greyed out for me. I wanted to adjust the IOBluetoothFamily.kext's Info.plist to make it work, unfortunatly I can only find the right one for Broadcom based BT dongles, but my BT2400 is Cambridge based.

Any ideas where to find the kext that handles Cambridge BT devices? Afaik, apple uses them themselves so there has to be a kext for that somewhere.

That would be the CSRUSBBluetoothHCIController.kext for Cambridge Silicon Radio USB…

Feel free to modify my Legacy kext. LegacyBluetooth.kext.zip

kdawg, what's the purpose of the injector? Doesn't seem to fix wake from sleep and the dongles listed are natively supported?
Virtually every bluetooth device is supported but whether or not you're using it's full capabilities is another story. None of the devices listed are fully supported in a vanilla install. I made this kext to enable "Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer" preference.

Can anyone add anything to what I have said above.

None the less I can wake from Sleep I would just like to know why Wake from Sleep is greyed out.....

That seems to be the common behavior. I think we just need to wait it out and hope Apple updates their bluetooth drivers.