Apple Magic Mouse OSX86 - external bluetooth dongle

Dannydeman

453 posts in this topic

OK I finally got everything working. Sleep and wake with my Magic Mouse and Apple Bluetooth Keyboard using Trust 2400P (15542-02) bluetooth dongle.

My system:

Core i7 overclocked to 3.88GHz

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P board

ATI Radeon HD 4870 1GB graphics

3GB DDR3 1333

I used the vanilla installation with the DSDT file and instruction from d00d. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=196771. He gave the full instruction on how to overclock with all the proper changes in the DSDT file. Everything worked beautifully until I decided to add Bluetooth.

After reading this forum and countless other support postings, I decided to purchase Trust 2400P (15542-02). What I really want is to be able to use both the new Magic Mouse and Apple Bluetooth keyboard. Therefore wake from sleep is VERY important to me. I was lucky to find the Trust bluetooth dongle in London during a business trip last weekend. The Trust dongle works well with both MM and Apple Keyboard except two problems:

1. I can't wake the computer with either the keyboard or MM. The "Allow Bluetooth Device to Wake the Computer" option in Bluetooth Preferences/Advanced is grey out.

2. If i wake the system up with the Power button my MM will only work 1 in 10 time. I can see the both MM and keyboard are still connected on the computer but both won't wake up until I use my wired mouse to change any Bluetooth setting. However, LocusOfControl indicated in his earlier posting that he was able to get it to work after he wakes the system (by using Power button).

I was determined to make them work. I went out today and brought another BT dongle, the Targus ACB10US (rev. 2) as per Apple's support site. Unfortunately after reading the Targus web page it looks like only the older Rev 1 (long stick) will support Mac. Rev 2 (shorter stick) will not. Apple's support page did not make it very clear. After spent $34 at the local Office Depot I found out the Targus bluetooth dongle is worst than the Trust dongle. Both MM and Keyboard will work. But neither device will wake from the sleep mode no matter what I do.

After reading through hundreds of forum postings. someone discovered after install SteerMouse from (http://plentycom.jp/en/steermouse/ ) the "Allow Bluetooth Device to Wake the Computer" option in Bluetooth Preferences/Advanced is no longer greyed out. I can now wake my computer with either my MM or the keyboard using the Trust dongle. And both devices will work properly after the system is awake.

Unfortunately the Targus ACB10US (rev. 2) dongle still does not work.

For all of you who has a working BT dongle with MM and want to be able to wake the computer with your Bluetooth keyboard or MM, you can try the above software to see if it will work. Again I am assuming you can wake your computer with a wired mouse.

BTW: SteerMouse is installed in your System Preferences. I did not make any changes to the default settings in SteerMouse.

Good luck. Thanks to LocusOfControl for recommending the Trust dongle. I am so happy. Now my system is fully functioning like a $3000 mac. :)

OK I finally got everything working. Sleep and wake with my Magic Mouse and Apple Bluetooth Keyboard using Trust

For all of you who has a working BT dongle with MM and want to be able to wake the computer with your Bluetooth keyboard or MM, you can try the above software to see if it will work. Again I am assuming you can wake your computer with a wired mouse.

BTW: SteerMouse is installed in your System Preferences. I did not make any changes to the default settings in SteerMouse.

Consider yourself lucky. That option is still greyed out for me with steer mouse installed. ;)

I am using the same trust dongle...

OK I finally got everything working. Sleep and wake with my Magic Mouse and Apple Bluetooth Keyboard using Trust 2400P (15542-02) bluetooth dongle.

My system:

Core i7 overclocked to 3.88GHz

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P board

ATI Radeon HD 4870 1GB graphics

3GB DDR3 1333

I used the vanilla installation with the DSDT file and instruction from d00d. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=196771. He gave the full instruction on how to overclock with all the proper changes in the DSDT file. Everything worked beautifully until I decided to add Bluetooth.

After reading this forum and countless other support postings, I decided to purchase Trust 2400P (15542-02). What I really want is to be able to use both the new Magic Mouse and Apple Bluetooth keyboard. Therefore wake from sleep is VERY important to me. I was lucky to find the Trust bluetooth dongle in London during a business trip last weekend. The Trust dongle works well with both MM and Apple Keyboard except two problems:

1. I can't wake the computer with either the keyboard or MM. The "Allow Bluetooth Device to Wake the Computer" option in Bluetooth Preferences/Advanced is grey out.

2. If i wake the system up with the Power button my MM will only work 1 in 10 time. I can see the both MM and keyboard are still connected on the computer but both won't wake up until I use my wired mouse to change any Bluetooth setting. However, LocusOfControl indicated in his earlier posting that he was able to get it to work after he wakes the system (by using Power button).

I was determined to make them work. I went out today and brought another BT dongle, the Targus ACB10US (rev. 2) as per Apple's support site. Unfortunately after reading the Targus web page it looks like only the older Rev 1 (long stick) will support Mac. Rev 2 (shorter stick) will not. Apple's support page did not make it very clear. After spent $34 at the local Office Depot I found out the Targus bluetooth dongle is worst than the Trust dongle. Both MM and Keyboard will work. But neither device will wake from the sleep mode no matter what I do.

After reading through hundreds of forum postings. someone discovered after install SteerMouse from (http://plentycom.jp/en/steermouse/ ) the "Allow Bluetooth Device to Wake the Computer" option in Bluetooth Preferences/Advanced is no longer greyed out. I can now wake my computer with either my MM or the keyboard using the Trust dongle. And both devices will work properly after the system is awake.

Unfortunately the Targus ACB10US (rev. 2) dongle still does not work.

Good luck. Thanks to LocusOfControl for recommending the Trust dongle. I am so happy. Now my system is fully functioning like a $3000 mac. ;)

Great post, I'll give it a try

I have the older Targus adapter but I can't get it to work properly in OS X, works in windows. Not sure what Apple

were thinking in not recommending this.

The peculiar thing about BT is that my first Belkin dongle did wake from sleep, this implies both OS X and motherboard

support this feature. Unfortunately on waking it refused to work unless I pulled it out and reinserted it. After a lot

of messing around I eventually lost the wake feature as well

The Trust works perfectly apart from not waking from sleep

steve

Consider yourself lucky. That option is still greyed out for me with steer mouse installed. :(

I am using the same trust dongle...

Hi A,

Sorry to hear that! I noticed there are two different versions of Trust 2400P dongle. If you check the Trust web site, they have both CSR and Broadcom chipset drivers for Windows for this dongle. Check that you have the Broadcom chipset. Here is the information from my System Profiler/Hardware/USB

BCM2046B1:

Product ID: 0x4500

Vendor ID: 0x0a5c (Broadcom Corp.)

Version: 1.00

Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: Broadcom

Location ID: 0x3a200000

Current Available (mA): 500

Current Required (mA): 94

Composite Device:

Product ID: 0x4502

Location ID: 0x3a210000

Current Available (mA): 132

Current Required (mA): 2

Composite Device:

Product ID: 0x4503

Location ID: 0x3a220000

BCM92046DG-CL1ROM:

Product ID: 0x2148

Version: 8.18

Serial Number: 000272A471CB

Manufacturer: Broadcom Corp

Location ID: 0x3a230000

If you have the same chipset, you can try my IOBluetoothHIDDRIVER.Kext. In the process of playing around to get my MM wake function to work, I edited the ProductID and VedorID for the Trust Dongle into my IOBluetoothHIDDRIVER.Kext. I did not bother to remove the information when I installed SteerMouse. Maybe that has something to do with it.

IOBluetoothHIDDriver.kext.zip

Good luck. I spent a few days on this. I know there is a way to get this thing to work.

Hi A,

Sorry to hear that! I noticed there are two different versions of Trust 2400P dongle. If you check the Trust web site, they have both CSR and Broadcom chipset drivers for Windows for this dongle. Check that you have the Broadcom chipset. Here is the information from my System Profiler/Hardware/USB

If you have the same chipset, you can try my IOBluetoothHIDDRIVER.Kext. In the process of playing around to get my MM wake function to work, I edited the ProductID and VedorID for the Trust Dongle into my IOBluetoothHIDDRIVER.Kext. I did not bother to remove the information when I installed SteerMouse. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Good luck. I spent a few days on this. I know there is a way to get this thing to work.

Thanks,

I'll give it a try, trouble with a lot of this is that there isn't too much useful diagnostics for it.

I'm currently on windows 7 at the moment. The Targus ABC10EU seems to work perfectly there.

Haven't got wake from sleep working but looking on the MS site there is a registry hack.

Here is some of the power management device info for the Targus

Seems to show that wake from sleep is supported in firmware which may indicate it is an OS X config issue?

steve

post-383752-1259418339_thumb.png

I agree there aren't any tools to troubleshoot. One thing I know is that you must make sure OSX will support the "Allow Bluetooth Device to Wake the Computer" option with your bluetooth dongle. I was only able to solve this problem by install SteerMouse with my Trust dongle.

Good luck.

Hi A,

I tried your kext, it didn't make a difference though.

Interestingly your SystemProfiler USB info seems different

All I get is

Bluetooth Com One Device:

Product ID:	0x2101
 Vendor ID:	0x0a5c  (Broadcom Corp.)
 Version:	 1.00
 Speed:	Up to 12 Mb/sec
 Manufacturer:	Broadcom Corp
 Location ID:	0x3a100000
 Current Available (mA):	500
 Current Required (mA):	100

Looking on PCIDatabase.com this is shown as 2045 Broadcom Bluetooth 2.0+eDR USB dongle (installer)

whereas yours is a Broadcom 2046 Bluetooth 2.1 USB Dongle

I don't get all the extra info that you did !

Did you do anything to your USB settings or DSDT etc?

regards

Steve

Hello!

Your trick didn't work out for me, ttgolf. I'm using a DBT-120 though :D

One question... Would it be difficult to just use one of the mac pro bluetooth boards? I'm using a Macbook Pro IR board (which wires I soldered to a USB cable) and is working flawlessly. Maybe this might be the exact case...

I tried your kext, it didn't make a difference though.

Interestingly your SystemProfiler USB info seems different

All I get is

Bluetooth Com One Device:

Product ID: 0x2101
Manufacturer: Broadcom Corp
Location ID: 0x3a100000
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 100

Looking on PCIDatabase.com this is shown as 2045 Broadcom Bluetooth 2.0+eDR USB dongle (installer)

whereas yours is a Broadcom 2046 Bluetooth 2.1 USB Dongle

I don't get all the extra info that you did !

Did you do anything to your USB settings or DSDT etc?

regards

Steve

As I indicated in my original post, my sleep/wake was working properly with my Hackintosho. I follow the direction from d00d in my original post. One thing I forgot to mention is that I am using the latest beta BIOS firmware. According to some of the links I read you must have the latest firmware to allow sleep to work properly. I am using the DSDT file that was attached by d00d.

I think one of the problem is that even if you buy the same dongle, you still run into the issue of the manufacturer using different chipset. My guess it is not a big deal with Windows (you can just install the proper driver). But with our Mac it could potentially make a big difference. As I said before I now have purchased two Bluetooth dongles, Trust and Targus they both have different chipsets even with the same model number. At least Targus changed the physical design on version 2. But with Trust they use both CSR and Broadcom chipsets on the same model.

I don't personally think it makes a difference if it is a Broadcom 2045 or 2046 chips. If you look into IOBluetoothHIDDriver.kext, they both use the same driver.

One question - does your mouse works after you wake the computer by Power button? In your earlier post you said you got the mouse to work after waking the computer with the Trust dongle. If it does I think SteerMouse should help.

As I indicated in my original post, my sleep/wake was working properly with my Hackintosho. I follow the direction from d00d in my original post. One thing I forgot to mention is that I am using the latest beta BIOS firmware. According to some of the links I read you must have the latest firmware to allow sleep to work properly. I am using the DSDT file that was attached by d00d.

I think one of the problem is that even if you buy the same dongle, you still run into the issue of the manufacturer using different chipset. My guess it is not a big deal with Windows (you can just install the proper driver). But with our Mac it could potentially make a big difference. As I said before I now have purchased two Bluetooth dongles, Trust and Targus they both have different chipsets even with the same model number. At least Targus changed the physical design on version 2. But with Trust they use both CSR and Broadcom chipsets on the same model.

I don't personally think it makes a difference if it is a Broadcom 2045 or 2046 chips. If you look into IOBluetoothHIDDriver.kext, they both use the same driver.

One question - does your mouse works after you wake the computer by Power button? In your earlier post you said you got the mouse to work after waking the computer with the Trust dongle. If it does I think SteerMouse should help.

I'm using an EX58-UD5 board with F9e - think the latest is F9i. Is this what you are using?

The Trust works fine via wake on keyboard, power or USB insertion,removal just not mouse click

I agree that the kexts show support for 2045, 2046 and CSR but curious as to why system profiler shows

many more features.

I may flash the latest bios and try the dood DST (too lazy before) but this BT is really bothering me :D

I'm using a targus acb1001us which I bought from office depot.

OSX sees it without any work and the magic mouse works.

Unfortunately this mouse isn't very good IMO. The ergonomics on it are just horrible its too low profile to rest your hand on it.

Your thumb and pinky will drag on the mouse pad all of the time and you have to be careful how you rest your fingers on the surface

other wise you may have issues with right click and scrolling. The tracking speed is horribly slow even with the speed maxed out. I

find myself lifting the mouse as if it was an old ball mouse. There are ways to increase the speed via a console command which does

help with the tracking speed but the lag is still fairly bad. This issue is not limited to hackintoshes as it does it on my mac mini.

I've gone back to my $15 logitech Walmart special and may return the mouse if Apple does not come up with a fix.

I'm using an EX58-UD5 board with F9e - think the latest is F9i. Is this what you are using?

The Trust works fine via wake on keyboard, power or USB insertion,removal just not mouse click

I agree that the kexts show support for 2045, 2046 and CSR but curious as to why system profiler shows

many more features.

I may flash the latest bios and try the dood DST (too lazy before) but this BT is really bothering me :censored2:

Yes I have the latest BIOS version. I have the UD4P board. My latest beta BIOS is 10H.

I have some more time to tinker around with the Bluetooth over the Thanksgiving weekend. I think I have a much better understanding of how I got my system to work. The only reason I found out is because my MM stopped working. I spent a few more hours on getting it back to working order. In the process I realized a few more things that might benefit you.

First a few corrections to my original postings:

1. I now realized it was not SteerMouse that made the "Allow Bluetooth devices to wake the Computer" available in Bluetooth Preferences/Advance. It is because I edited the ProductID and VendorID to match my USB Trust Bluetooth dongle. The reason I thought it was SteerMouse was because after I edited the IOBluetoothFamily.kext, I forgot to clear out the boot cache. It did not register the changed I made until after I installed SteerMouse.

2. The file I edited was not the one I attached in the earlier posting. I posted the wrong one. The one I edited to include the proper Product and Vendor ID is in this file.

IOBluetoothFamily.kext.zip

3. In the above IOBluetoothFamily file I added the following information in IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/BroadcomUSBBluetoothHCIControl/Contents/info.plist/IOKitPersonalities the following information:

a new entry called Broadcom2046FamilyUSBBluetoothHCIController_TT (_TT is just my initial). The easiest way is to just duplicate one of the Broadcom2046 keys in IOKitPersonalities. Go into the key you just created and change the idProduct to your Bluetooth dongle Product ID and idVendor to your Bluetooth dongle's Vendor ID. NOTE: you need to convert the HEX information of your Bluetooth dongle found in System Preferences/Hardware/USB to Decimal. In my case my Product ID is 0x2148 (8520 in decimal) and Vendor ID is 0x0a5c (2652 in decimal).

4. After you boot without system cache you now should be able to go into your Bluetooth Preferenece/Advance and select "Allow Bluetooth Devices to wake the computer".

5. I had to reinstall SteerMouse. Without it my computer with KP after the system is wake from sleep. I believe SteerMouse uses older Bluetooth HID driver in its Kext.

Now check to see if you can wake the computer with your mouse. Hope you can get it to work.

ttgolf, nice trick!

Unfortunately, it doesn't work with the DBT-120 stick (I used CSRFamilyUSBBTHCIC....kext of course)

The thing is that I didn't even have to change the Product and vendor ids because they are the same as the Info.plist ones. So the thing that the dbt-120 doesn't work is on purpose by Apple.

Thank you anyway!

First a few corrections to my original postings:

1. I now realized it was not SteerMouse that made the "Allow Bluetooth devices to wake the Computer" available in Bluetooth Preferences/Advance. It is because I edited the ProductID and VendorID to match my USB Trust Bluetooth dongle. The reason I thought it was SteerMouse was because after I edited the IOBluetoothFamily.kext, I forgot to clear out the boot cache. It did not register the changed I made until after I installed SteerMouse.

2. The file I edited was not the one I attached in the earlier posting. I posted the wrong one. The one I edited to include the proper Product and Vendor ID is in this file.

IOBluetoothFamily.kext.zip

3. In the above IOBluetoothFamily file I added the following information in IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/BroadcomUSBBluetoothHCIControl/Contents/info.plist/IOKitPersonalities the following information:

a new entry called Broadcom2046FamilyUSBBluetoothHCIController_TT (_TT is just my initial). The easiest way is to just duplicate one of the Broadcom2046 keys in IOKitPersonalities. Go into the key you just created and change the idProduct to your Bluetooth dongle Product ID and idVendor to your Bluetooth dongle's Vendor ID. NOTE: you need to convert the HEX information of your Bluetooth dongle found in System Preferences/Hardware/USB to Decimal. In my case my Product ID is 0x2148 (8520 in decimal) and Vendor ID is 0x0a5c (2652 in decimal).

I would probably agree with you, your last kext confused me as I couldn't work out what you changed

I have 3 BT dongles v1.1, v2.0 v2.1

The v1.1 doesn't work on OS X (targus) but it is the best one on Windows 7!

The v2.0 wakes up on OS X but not by mouse (Trust) ie it is an older version

The v2.1 dongle doesn't wake properly (Belkin)

However, the Belkin 2.1 (2046) does have a signature similar to yours in system profiler except for the ROM

The Trust 2400p only has basic info (it is a 2045)

I have ordered the newer 2.1 Trust dongle which hopefully has the appropriate firmware and a better composite

device implementation (the Belkin doesn't wake from sleep). I did change the product id on BTFamily for the Belkin

but it didn't fix it. I may as well give your kext fix a try while I wait for the new Trust dongle

I think you need the right chipset and firmware combo for this to work?

Could you clarify what version your dongle is please ie 2400p there are a few different Trust versions floating about

regards

Steve

I would probably agree with you, your last kext confused me as I couldn't work out what you changed

I have 3 BT dongles v1.1, v2.0 v2.1

The v1.1 doesn't work on OS X (targus) but it is the best one on Windows 7!

The v2.0 wakes up on OS X but not by mouse (Trust) ie it is an older version

The v2.1 dongle doesn't wake properly (Belkin)

However, the Belkin 2.1 (2046) does have a signature similar to yours in system profiler except for the ROM

The Trust 2400p only has basic info (it is a 2045)

I have ordered the newer 2.1 Trust dongle which hopefully has the appropriate firmware and a better composite

device implementation (the Belkin doesn't wake from sleep). I did change the product id on BTFamily for the Belkin

but it didn't fix it. I may as well give your kext fix a try while I wait for the new Trust dongle

I think you need the right chipset and firmware combo for this to work?

Could you clarify what version your dongle is please ie 2400p there are a few different Trust versions floating about

regards

Steve

Steve,

Below is the information on my Trust dongle: I have the Bluetooth 2.1 Trust 2400P dongle.

MacPro:

Address: 00-02-72-a4-71-cb

Manufacturer: Broadcom

Firmware Version: 14 (21298)

Bluetooth Power: On

Discoverable: Yes

HCI Version: 4 ($4)

HCI Revision: 21298 ($5332)

LMP Version: 4 ($4)

LMP Subversion: 16910 ($420e)

Device Type (Major): Computer

Device Type (Complete): Macintosh Desktop

Composite Class Of Device: 3670276 ($380104)

Device Class (Major): 1 ($1)

Device Class (Minor): 1 ($1)

Service Class: 448 ($1c0)

Requires Authentication: No

The changes I made in IOBluetoothFamily.kext is embedded in BroadcomUSBBluetoothHCIControl.kext. Basically I created a new key with my Bluetooth's Product and Vendor ID (in decimal). If you open up the attachment, go into BroadcomUSBBluetoothHCIControl.kext/IOKitPersonalities you will see a new key ending with _TT. That is the key I created. The ProductID and Vendor ID are same as the information from my Bluetooth.

Based on what you mentioned I think you will likely have a better shot of getting the V.2.0 dongle to work. I was in the same boat until I added the key above in the kext. Try to add the Product ID and Vendor ID for your dongle into the kext to see if you can "ungrey" the "Allow Bluetooth Devices to wake the comuter" setting in the Bluetooth Preferences. I will also try to install SteerMouse after this step. Not sure if it will help.

I know it is frustrating as I have been working on the same issue for a few days now to make sure I fully understand what is going on. It took me only a few hours to get my system fully running. But it took me a few days to get bluetooth working. The problem is there aren't many documentations around. Apple is not providing much help. The latest support document about the Targus dongle is a bit misleading. BTW, I did order another Targus dongle (Rev. 1). I should have it in the next few days. This will be the 3rd dongle I am buying. I want to make sure we get to the bottom of this issue to benefit others in the forum.

Good luck

ttgolf, nice trick!

Unfortunately, it doesn't work with the DBT-120 stick (I used CSRFamilyUSBBTHCIC....kext of course)

The thing is that I didn't even have to change the Product and vendor ids because they are the same as the Info.plist ones. So the thing that the dbt-120 doesn't work is on purpose by Apple.

Thank you anyway!

Hey YoMuS,

I think the only dongle that has proven to work so far is the Trust 2400P dongle. I just posted the version above.

I believe even with Dlink DBT-120 the "Allow Bluetooth Devices to wake the computer" option is grey out in a Mac Pro. I know it used to work in Leopard. But apparently Apple changed something in Snow Leopard. There are a lot of complains on the Apple Support board.

Does your BT dongle allow you to use the BT mouse after you wake the computer manually by the power button?

To me there are 3 levels of compatibilities:

1. Able to pair and use BT mouse and keyboard. (or any other devices supported by the BT dongle)

2. Able to operate the same BT mouse and keyboard after manually waking the comuter (ie, power button)

3. Able to wake the computer using the BT mouse and keyboard.

So far what I have found:

Trust BT 2400P dongle can do 1 and 2 without any problem. I need to modify the kext to get 3 to work.

Targus (Rev. 2 short stick) dongle can do 1 but not 2 and 3.

I am waiting for another Targus (Rev. 1 long stick). I will post my result.

Hi ttgolf,

Unfortunately I don't have a bluetooth mouse so I can't check it, but I do have a apple wireless keyboard and works just fine after waking up using the usb mouse.

The only thing I've improved with this bluettoth is that the wireless keyboard becomes available when I power on the computer (can select the boot hdd pressing F8, etc..)

Bye!

To me there are 3 level of compatibilities:

1. Able to pair and use BT mouse and keyboard. (or any other devices supported by the BT dongle)

2. Able to operate the same BT mouse and keyboard after manually waking the comuter (ie, power button)

This is good information but i would add something:

in order to be able to wake the computer using BT mouse, you have to be able to wake computer using a USB mouse. I think that if you can't wake via USB, you won't be able to wake up via BT (as the BT adapter is plugged in USB port).

In my case, I have a Belkin - F8T016ng BT adapter, and i can do only 1., i know i i won't be able to do 3. as i can't wake up using my USB keyboard, but i would like to be able to do 2. because it's rather anoying to replug the adapter each time I wake up the computer.

As far as I can see, the only way for me is to buy another adapter . . . ?

Steve,

Below is the information on my Trust dongle: I have the Bluetooth 2.1 Trust 2400P dongle.

The changes I made in IOBluetoothFamily.kext is embedded in BroadcomUSBBluetoothHCIControl.kext. Basically I created a new key with my Bluetooth's Product and Vendor ID (in decimal). If you open up the attachment, go into BroadcomUSBBluetoothHCIControl.kext/IOKitPersonalities you will see a new key ending with _TT. That is the key I created. The ProductID and Vendor ID are same as the information from my Bluetooth.

Based on what you mentioned I think you will likely have a better shot of getting the V.2.0 dongle to work. I was in the same boat until I added the key above in the kext. Try to add the Product ID and Vendor ID for your dongle into the kext to see if you can "ungrey" the "Allow Bluetooth Devices to wake the comuter" setting in the Bluetooth Preferences. I will also try to install SteerMouse after this step. Not sure if it will help.

I know it is frustrating as I have been working on the same issue for a few days now to make sure I fully understand what is going on. It took me only a few hours to get my system fully running. But it took me a few days to get bluetooth working. The problem is there aren't many documentations around. Apple is not providing much help. The latest support document about the Targus dongle is a bit misleading. BTW, I did order another Targus dongle (Rev. 1). I should have it in the next few days. This will be the 3rd dongle I am buying. I want to make sure we get to the bottom of this issue to benefit others in the forum.

Good luck

Hey YoMuS,

I think the only dongle that has proven to work so far is the Trust 2400P dongle. I just posted the version above.

I believe even with Dlink DBT-120 the "Allow Bluetooth Devices to wake the computer" option is grey out in a Mac Pro. I know it used to work in Leopard. But apparently Apple changed something in Snow Leopard. There are a lot of complains on the Apple Support board.

Does your BT dongle allow you to use the BT mouse after you wake the computer manually by the power button?

To me there are 3 levels of compatibilities:

So far what I have found:

Trust BT 2400P dongle can do 1 and 2 without any problem. I need to modify the kext to get 3 to work.

Targus (Rev. 2 short stick) dongle can do 1 but not 2 and 3.

I am waiting for another Targus (Rev. 1 long stick). I will post my result.

Mine's slightly different as you can see

Apple Bluetooth Software Version:	2.2.4f3
 Hardware Settings:
 LocusOfControl:
 Address:	00-02-72-13-59-3f
 Manufacturer:	Broadcom
 Firmware Version:	14 (16384)
 Bluetooth Power:	On
 Discoverable:	Yes
 HCI Version:	3 ($3)
 HCI Revision:	16384 ($4000)
 LMP Version:	3 ($3)
 LMP Subversion:	17166 ($430e)
 Device Type (Major):	Computer
 Device Type (Complete):	Macintosh Desktop
 Composite Class Of Device:	3670276 ($380104)
 Device Class (Major):	1 ($1)
 Device Class (Minor):	1 ($1)
 Service Class:	448 ($1c0)
 Requires Authentication:	No

Option 2 works although I can wake with the apple wired usb keyboard and a logitech usb wireless mouse

so my usb ports are not dead. I believe BT adapter sends the mouse to sleep and the adapter periodically

sniffs for BT packets from the mouse during sleep

I'll give the BTFamily kext a try for the Trust (only tried with the Belkin previously, I think it goes to an off

state rather than a sleep state when the computer sleeps due to the way the composite device is implemented.

If you look at some of the linux kext books there is a little bit on BT etc )

Thanks

Steve

In my case, I have a Belkin - F8T016ng BT adapter, and i can do only 1., i know i i won't be able to do 3. as i can't wake up using my USB keyboard, but i would like to be able to do 2. because it's rather anoying to replug the adapter each time I wake up the computer.

As far as I can see, the only way for me is to buy another adapter . . . ?

I also have a F8T017ng and mine behaves the same, I tried the trick of changing product id's with this

adapter when I first got it, loaded but it didn't fix it which is why I think you need the adapter firmware,

I gave up on it when I got the Trust, the Trust has a selling feature that it can be used after waking which

makes me think that Trust enabled this?

Well what do I know ;)

Just tried with the Trust 2400p - worked first time, just took an extra second or so for the mouse to start

having got the spinning beach ball for about 1 -2 sec

Dec  1 21:53:45 LocusOfControl kernel[0]: System Sleep
Dec  1 21:53:50 LocusOfControl kernel[0]: Wake reason = USB4
Dec  1 21:53:50 LocusOfControl kernel[0]: System Wake
Dec  1 21:53:50 LocusOfControl kernel[0]: Previous Sleep Cause: 0
Dec  1 21:53:50 LocusOfControl kernel[0]: USB (UHCI):Port 1 on bus 0x3a has remote wakeup from some device
Dec  1 21:53:50 LocusOfControl kernel[0]: EIR is not supported.
Dec  1 21:53:50 LocusOfControl kernel[0]: [ffffff801c3eb000][bNBMouseDevice::startMultitouch][30] ERROR: Invalid attempt to re-start multitouch

Edit:

Googled EIR, it is BT 2.1 feature which my BT 2.0 dongle obviously doesn't have - doesn't seem to cause any

problems

from the Broadcom 2046 site...

It is fully compliant with Bluetooth 2.1 features such as Simple Pairing (SP) and Enhanced Inquiry Response (EIR).

Next time I restarted mouse worked straight away :)

Thanks

Steve

post-383752-1259704682_thumb.png

Steve,

Glad you got it working!! Good to know another user with Trust Bluetooth dongle got it working!!!

Like I said I will try the Targus bluetooth dongle (Rev. 1) once I get it. Will report back. It still amazes me that not much information about this topic anywhere.

To summarize for any new users reading this long thread:

To use your Apple Bluetooth keyboard and Magic Mouse get a Trust 2400P Bluetooth Dongle. I have confirmed with this dongle you can

1. Pair with both Apple Bluetooth keyboard and Magic mouse

2. Wake computer from sleep with either BT keyboard or magic mouse (use the hack described above with ProductID and VendorID).

3. Keyboard or mouse will resume function after the computer is awake.

If anyone else is able to get other BT dongle to work please report back.

Hah! You are the man ttgolf!

I got the same vendor and product ID as you and just installed your kext -- it just works :) amazing!

(It wasnt working at first because my trust dongle was installed to a usb hub)

I got a Broadcom 0x5ac 0x2121 Dongle and sleep/wake after Kext Edit is possible. But when the System goes to sleep, it wakes up immediately since there seems to some bluetooth "traffic" going on between the System and the Mouse.

Anyone else experiencing this? Man, i really wanted wake by bluetooth, but not INSTANTELY after sleeping :hysterical:

I got a Broadcom 0x5ac 0x2121 Dongle and sleep/wake after Kext Edit is possible. But when the System goes to sleep, it wakes up immediately since there seems to some bluetooth "traffic" going on between the System and the Mouse.

Anyone else experiencing this? Man, i really wanted wake by bluetooth, but not INSTANTELY after sleeping ;)

Hi ApexDE,

I had a similar problem and I was able to fix it by playing around with the com.apple.bluetooth.plist. I am not sure if you will get the same result but give it a try.

Open your com.apple.bluetooth.plist in /Library/Preferences

Change BluetoothAutoSeekHIDDevices to NO.

Save it and try to sleep you computer again to see if it will wake instantly again.

Let me know.