Apple Magic Mouse OSX86 - external bluetooth dongle

Dannydeman

453 posts in this topic

Anyone have any issues with the 3 or 4 finger gestures causing the mouse to stop responding and or the computer to stop receiving?

Trackpad connected to my CSR adaptor, wake on power is greyed out, but I used the trackpad "Setup Bluetooth Mouse" and it reconnects on boot. 1 or 2 (scrolling) finger gestures work fine, but soon as I try expose or app switching it is dead for about 30 seconds.

EX58UD5 Gigabyte board, 10.6.4, SleepEnabler.kext added. Attempted the LegacyBluetooth.kext but didn't adjust any device ID's. I read thru this thread a bit and its starting to make me think I need to just get a different adaptor.

Ran demesg to see what errors came up and got:

ort][54] ERROR: setReport returned error 0xe00002d6
[ffffff801be26400][BNBTrackpadDevice::_enableMultitouchEvents][54] ERROR: _simpleSetReport returned error 0xe00002d6
[BNBTrackpadDevice][waitForHandshake][xx-xx-xx-x-xx-xx] Timeout waiting for handshake
[ffffff801be26400][BNBTrackpadDevice::_simpleSetReport][54] ERROR: setReport returned error 0xe00002d6
[ffffff801be26400][BNBTrackpadDevice::_enableMultitouchEvents][54] ERROR: _simpleSetReport returned error 0xe00002d6
[BNBTrackpadDevice][waitForHandshake][xx-xx-xx-x-xx-xx] Timeout waiting for handshake
[ffffff801be26400][BNBTrackpadDevice::_simpleSetReport][54] ERROR: setReport returned error 0xe00002d6
[ffffff801be26400][BNBTrackpadDevice::_setMultitouchReportID][54] ERROR: _simpleSetReport returned error 0xe00002d6
[ffffff801be26400][BNBTrackpadDevice::_getMultitouchReportInfo][54] ERROR: _setMultitouchReportID returned error 0xe00002d6
[ffffff801cadf200][AppleMultitouchDevice::_getFeatureReportInfo] ERROR: getMultitouchReportInfo returned error 0xe00002d6
[ffffff801cadf200][AppleMultitouchDevice::_deviceSetReportWithLookUp] ERROR: _getFeatureReportInfo returned error 0xe00002d6
[ffffff801be26400][BNBTrackpadDevice::_setMultitouchReportID][54] ERROR: _simpleSetReport returned error 0xe00002d6
[ffffff801be26400][BNBTrackpadDevice::_getMultitouchReportInfo][54] ERROR: _setMultitouchReportID returned error 0xe00002d6
[ffffff801cadf200][AppleMultitouchDevice::_getFeatureReportInfo] ERROR: getMultitouchReportInfo returned error 0xe00002d6
[ffffff801cadf200][AppleMultitouchDevice::_deviceGetReportWithLookUp] ERROR: _getFeatureReportInfo returned result 0xe00002d6
[ffffff801cadf200][AppleMultitouchDevice::_deviceSetReportWithLookUp] ERROR: _getFeatureReportInfo returned error 0xe00002d6
[BNBTrackpadDevice][waitForData][xx-xx-xx-x-xx-xx] Timeout waiting for data
[BNBTrackpadDevice][getExtendedReport] getReport returned error e00002d6
[BNBTrackpadDevice][updateBatteryLevel] Couldn't get battery percentage from device

Thanks

Sorry if I'm just a n00b and this is something simple, but I have the CSR Dongle with the productID of 1 and Vendor ID of 0x0a12 (2578) that should be supported out-of-the-box in SL with the CSR kext inside IOBluetoothFamily.kext.

And when I plug it in it automatically recognizes it, but it will NOT pair with my MM, or anything else for that matter. In Windows 7, the dongle pairs with my MM just fine, which rules out either a defective dongle, or a defective MM.

This is on SL 10.6.2 Leohazard on my main workstation, as well as my netbook on 10.6.4 Retail. Same problem.

Is there something I am doing wrong here?

I have googled and Plist edited my heart out, and every forum I see says it works OOTB, but when I try to add a bluetooth mouse, it just searches indefinitely. And yes, my MM is on and in pairing mode.

Any help or a point in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Oh, and by the way, when I edited the Broadcom kext and put my productID and vendorID under the "Broadcom USB dongle" section of the kext, it recognized as a Broadcom2045 in system profiler, and the option to wake from bluetooth was no longer greyed out. Just thought I would add that in case someone has the CSR dongle, but the wake option was greyed out.

Trackpad connected to my CSR adaptor, wake on power is greyed out, but I used the trackpad "Setup Bluetooth Mouse" and it reconnects on boot. 1 or 2 (scrolling) finger gestures work fine, but soon as I try expose or app switching it is dead for about 30 seconds.

I had the same issue, and even worse, when i'm trying to connect the wireless keyboard, the MM will lockup and freeze.

What is the status on the Trust 2400p, will it make mouse/keyboard act crazy after waking up?

Is the old Targus a better out of the box option?

And when I plug it in it automatically recognizes it, but it will NOT pair with my MM, or anything else for that matter. In Windows 7, the dongle pairs with my MM just fine, which rules out either a defective dongle, or a defective MM.

Per this and some other threads I went in and edited the:

S/L/E/IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBBlueToothHCIController.kext/Contents/Info.plist

I adjusted the bcdDevice integer to match the location id of the USB I plugged it into:

Bluetooth USB Host Controller:

Product ID: 0x0001

Vendor ID: 0x0a12 (Cambridge Silicon Radio Ltd.)

Version: 1.34

Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec

Location ID: 0x3d100000

Current Available (mA): 500

Current Required (mA): 100

<key>Generic BTD</key>
	<dict>
		<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
		<string>com.apple.driver.AppleUSBBluetoothHCIController</string>
		<key>IOClass</key>
		<string>AppleUSBBluetoothHCIController</string>
		<key>IOProviderClass</key>
		<string>IOUSBDevice</string>
		<key>bcdDevice</key>
		<integer>0x3d10</integer>
		<key>idProduct</key>
		<integer>1</integer>
		<key>idVendor</key>
		<integer>0x0a12</integer>
	</dict>

It seems to connect better now but I still notice my Bluetooth list has a lot of weird device ID's in it that aren't real devices. My Keyboard works fine but gestures just goofed and wake support.

Per this and some other threads I went in and edited the:

S/L/E/IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBBlueToothHCIController.kext/Contents/Info.plist

I adjusted the bcdDevice integer to match the location id of the USB I plugged it into:

Bluetooth USB Host Controller:

Product ID: 0x0001

Vendor ID: 0x0a12 (Cambridge Silicon Radio Ltd.)

Version: 1.34

Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec

Location ID: 0x3d100000

Current Available (mA): 500

Current Required (mA): 100

<key>Generic BTD</key>
	 <dict>
		 <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
		 <string>com.apple.driver.AppleUSBBluetoothHCIController</string>
		 <key>IOClass</key>
		 <string>AppleUSBBluetoothHCIController</string>
		 <key>IOProviderClass</key>
		 <string>IOUSBDevice</string>
		 <key>bcdDevice</key>
		 <integer>0x3d10</integer>
		 <key>idProduct</key>
		 <integer>1</integer>
		 <key>idVendor</key>
		 <integer>0x0a12</integer>
	 </dict>

It seems to connect better now but I still notice my Bluetooth list has a lot of weird device ID's in it that aren't real devices. My Keyboard works fine but gestures just goofed and wake support.

I have tried that to no avail.

My LocationID was the same as yours, It made no change.

In system profiler it still shows my BT with a VendorID of 0, and a ProductID of 0.....

So weird.

I ordered a DBT-120 D-Link from http://www.jr.com/dlink/pe/DLK_DBT_hy_120/. Its version C1. Plugged it in and everything works 100%.

$24 hit to the wallet.

I went out and bought the Targus ACB10US, works out of the box on my Hack pro at home, but won't pair with my MM on my hackbook still.... =(

I also have a Trust dongle on the way to try that out.

I haven't heard the best of things about the DBT-120 on SL and wake from BT.

I had the same issue, and even worse, when i'm trying to connect the wireless keyboard, the MM will lockup and freeze.

What is the status on the Trust 2400p, will it make mouse/keyboard act crazy after waking up?

Is the old Targus a better out of the box option?

I believe I've got the same issue. My MagicMouse is recognized and functions as designed, until I tap it with three fingers, plus every once in a while it just stops responding but starts up again after a couple of minutes. I can also get my BT Aluminum keyboard recognized, but it really slows down mouse response, so I just use my Apple USB Aluminum keyboard.

At first, none of these Apple BT devices worked with the BT dongle I had. But after upgrading to 10.6.4, I started to see life (occasional connections, but still lots of problems). So I purchased three "under $10" BT dongles off of eBay. As luck would have it, the $1.99 worked. It is identified as a CSR in Windows and recognizes both BT Apple devices as described above.

So aside from the occasional freeze, I'm happy :( I've also installed MagicPrefs and customized a few extra taps, which work great. But nothing involving three fingers :D

Attached is my Bluetooth plist (don't try to install it, but it may be useful to compare values with yours ....

working_bluetoothPLIST_from_LIB_PREF.zip

EDIT: Forgot to mention that my "Allow bluetooth devices to wake.." is greyed out. And I have numerous extra BT devices listed, that don't exist but come back every time I reboot.

I recently bought a magic mouse and short BT keyboard for my "Mac" er "Hack Pro" I was getting tired of switching my iMac wired keyboard and mouse when I wanted to use the Pro. I originally bought an Asus BT21 BT dongle when I built my Pro about 6 months ago not realizing that I could not wake it up using the MM or Keyboard. So, I searched the boards and decided to get the Targus ACB10US since that was the one Apple suggests. Well of course I got sent the wrong dongle, version 2 instead of version 1 and version 2 does not work with OS X.

In the meantime... I thought, why not just use an Apple BT board. I bought a 2009 Mac pro case for my hack and I kept the BT antenna. The only problem was, what was the pinout of the board. I know it's USB, which is pretty simple but did not want to take the chance of frying my Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 and i7 920 cpu using the trial and error method, might be cheaper than a mac pro, but not THAT cheap.

As luck would have it, i finally came across an article which someone else did what I wanted to do. Finally, got the pinout.

I went on ebay, and started looking for a mackbook, imac BT board. Not hard to find most used Mac parts. I found one for $1.15 USD and $3.99 USD shipping. plus it comes with the USB wire and the antenna wire. I confirmed the pinout from the article based on the image of the part on ebay and they matched. The USB wires are even color coded and match to the USB colors used.

So, it should be no problem getting this to work like I want. I am first going to test it with an external USB cable, and if it works (I don't have any reason to believe that it won't) I will install it permanently inside my 2009 Mac Pro case using the original 2009 Mac Pro BT antenna, and connecting the USB to an unused internal USB header.

The MacBook BT 2.0 board is on it's way, hoping to have it by mid next week. Good thing too, cause my Asus BT21 does not seem to want to stay connected and even when it says it's connected the mouse nor keyboard work. Though they both work fine on my 27" iMac.

I will report back and let everyone know if I succeeded or failed.

Attached below is the pinout article I found in PDF form along with the link to the original article.

I thought this may help some people on the board to get BT working correctly once and for all without trying to track down a particular version of a damn BT dongle and hope the heck it works like it's supposed to.

Sliced_Apple___Using_OEM_Apple_Bluetooth_Module_in_Desktop.pdf

OEM Apple Bluetooth in PC

Edit 08/26/2010:

Got the BT board, hooked it up to USB, and.... Nothing. Tried it on a windows computer, windows did recognize that it was a usb device, but said it was malfunctioning.

I looked at the board closer, it read 3.3v, so maybe 5v was too much for it. Tried it again using 3.3v still nothing. Either the board was bad to begin with (no big surprise since it was only $5.00) or 5v was too much for it.

I plan on trying again with another board (you can always find them on ebay) in a few weeks, I think it will work. This time I will try with 3.3v first, maybe the newer boards run on less voltage. The one in the article was from a powerbook...

I did notice on a close up picture of a G4 powerbook BT card it said 4v not sure if it was referring to voltage or not..

For $8 - $10 it's worth giving it another try...

I'll report back with my final findings, hopefully success...

Edit 08/28/2010:

I also ordered a Macbook Pro IR (Infrared Receiver) I hooked it up to a USB cable I had and it works PERFECTLY. So I now have IR for my "Mac Pro"

I am reporting this cause I am fairly confident about the fact that the Macbook Bluetooth board was bad right from the start. It also makes me confident about buying another one and trying it again.

I'll be searching ebay for a reasonably priced one and i will be trying it again.

Edit 08/30/2010:

Here is the pinout and closeup picture of the Macbook Pro IR board for those who are interested.

post-277252-1283213129_thumb.jpg

I also came across a small pre-built circuit to convert +5v to +3.3v. It's only $1.95 USD so I will be giving the internal BT another try in another week or so.

Here is the link to the circuit:

Logic Level Converter

I really want to get the internal BT working if I can, cause my Targus ACB10US V1 is not working properly on my "Mac Pro" sometimes it will go to sleep ok and wake up ok, but then when it goes to sleep or I put it to sleep, it will wake right up and then if I put it back to sleep, it will shut down. I've tried many different settings and yes allow BT device to wake computer is checked, but nothing works properly. If I just use a regular apple wired USB keyboard and Mighty mouse, the computer sleeps and wakes just fine including idle sleep.

Edit 09/06/2010:

the link to the Logic Level Converter is NOT a power converter, it's a logic converter.

I did fiind a proper 5v to 3.3v power converter which I have ordered. Once I get the power converter, then I will order another internal Apple BT board. I'll post pictures and a diagram. I am pretty confident that it will work this time.

Here is the link to the converter I bought:

Futurlec 3.3V Regulator

• 2 weeks later...
Edit 08/28/2010:

I also ordered a Macbook Pro IR (Infrared Receiver) I hooked it up to a USB cable I had and it works PERFECTLY. So I now have IR for my "Mac Pro"

I am reporting this cause I am fairly confident about the fact that the Macbook Bluetooth board was bad right from the start. It also makes me confident about buying another one and trying it again.

I'll be searching ebay for a reasonably priced one and i will be trying it again.

Thats very interesting, can you post a couple of pictures? Is the pinout the same in both boards? Would be nice if you can post the schematics to make the cable too. Thanks!

Thats very interesting, can you post a couple of pictures? Is the pinout the same in both boards? Would be nice if you can post the schematics to make the cable too. Thanks!

Yes, it's quite simple really. It is standard USB 4 wire. I would highly recommend getting an IR board that already has the wire with it as the connector is really small and hard to work with without wires.

I'll post some pictures and schematic in a day or two.

Edit: 08/29/2010

Actually the wires are soldered on the IR board there is no connector on the board side.

Swhay, see my PM; looked into doing this before but decided against as most internal BT modules seem to be 3.3V -- if you are determined I suspect there is a way. good news on the IR; definitely thinking of going that route.

Happy with my ACB10US V1 - working perfectly anyway

Swhay, see my PM; looked into doing this before but decided against as most internal BT modules seem to be 3.3V -- if you are determined I suspect there is a way. good news on the IR; definitely thinking of going that route.

Happy with my ACB10US V1 - working perfectly anyway

Well the BT could be run off of the 3.3V SATA Power Line (Orange). I'll try that first...

Well the BT could be run off of the 3.3V SATA Power Line (Orange). I'll try that first...

Well, after trying 4 different dongles, now it works :

ACB10US V2 (small one)

legacy kext

uncheck "allow to wake..."

And now ive got wake up with BT samll apple keyboard, and magic mouse still working after wake up ;)

@ ovof: Does the keyboard work on the startup of booting up os x? My magic mouse does but the keyboard requires repairing every time but that of course has to do with my different dongle. If yours works from the get go though, I'll probably just flesh out money to have that convenience of not having to pair it each and every time. Not to mention wake on bluetooth 8)

Hi there!

I posted some months ago a link with step by step guide to get this working. Here it is...

http://photos.pottebaum.com/gallery/7075206_LwKc4

I have it working flawlessly on my hack, with the aluminium remote.

P.S: I'm very interested on doing the same thing with the BT board... hope the guy above gets it.

• 3 weeks later...
http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_r...&submit.y=0

My magic mouse is coming tomorrow. Can someone please look at this list of dongles and tell me which one I should get as all of these are available at the store down the street from me.

thanks in advance guys.

D-Link and TrendNet should work without any additional kexts but there is no guarantee. The one definitely works without any modifications in 10.6.4 is the Targus ACB10US, here is the link below I just got 2 of those from the person below. Wake from MM works first time after powerup but then fails on subsequent wakes, I am pretty sure the problem is not with the dongle but with the Magic Mouse since any other bluetooth mouse I used were fine to wake my computer, so I use my keyboard to wake the computer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Targus-ACB10US-USB-Blu...emZ190439119773

I've got my MagicMouse almost working without problems using a $2 'flat top' dongle from eBay (chipset turned out to be Cambridge Silicon Radio). At first it wasn't recognize, then after trying it in different USB ports, and restarting the system a few times, it got recognized, as did the MagicMouse.

The only remaining problem I have with my MagicMouse, is explained in this thread. Any ideas would be appreciated.

do you guys know if the targus dongle uses alot of power? cause I have it plugged into one side of an apple keyboard so its right next to the mouse and the port on the other side wont work for anything cause it says its pulling too much power. i wanted to keep the targus close to the mouse so thered be no slowdown.

it's bluetooth. Assuming you're using a class 2 adapter, you can freely roam up to ~30 ft in any direction once their are no obtrusions the mouse will work perfectly fine. The adapter doesn't have to be sitting next to the mouse to get the best reception although it should be close so you don't get any erratic movements

I ordered a DBT-120 D-Link from http://www.jr.com/dlink/pe/DLK_DBT_hy_120/. Its version C1. Plugged it in and everything works 100%.

$24 hit to the wallet.

I have DBT-120 C1. I can't wake with my magic mouse after the system goes into idle sleep. Can you wake from idle sleep with your MM? Does your "Allow wake ..." is not greyed out in the bluetooth settings?

I probably tried half a dozen of different "official" bluetooth dongles. If I get my Magic Mouse paired and the "Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer" is checked, then the computer doesn't go into IDLE SLEEP, instead it SHUTS DOWN! Has anyone's seen this happen?

It works just fine if I pair a non-apple bluetooth mouse. :)