[GUIDE] Scripted Yosemite/Mavericks Install on Gigabyte Mobos

4,696 posts in this topic

2. Edit your DSDT as follow:

Under "Device (PCI0)" or "Device (PEGP)"

Find "Name (_UID, One)" and change "One" to "Zero"

This fix will make your card to work at login but Graphics/Ethernet injection from your com.apple.boot.plist will not work anymore, irrespective of bootloader used so at the end you will have to go back to original DSDT and install universal injector for ati and nvidia (ATY_Init.kext).

When I use IORegistryExplorer, my VideoCard is shown at PCI0@0, so theoretically modifying DSDT from pciroot=1 to pciroot=0 makes perfect sense (it does as far as getting VideoCard to work at login) but somehow disables Graphics/Ethernet injection from com.apple.boot.plist, even if I use Chameleon2 RC3 bootloader which supports only pciroot=0 (on PC EFI V10.3/4 pciroot=1 is used by default).

Is anything there that I am missing?

Can someone please explain this paradox?

I use Chameleon 2 RC3, made the same DSDT modification, and successfully have video using the following in com.apple.boot.plist;

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>yes</string>

@LocusOfControl

Would you mind sharing your exact KEXT setup? (So including e/e/ S/l/e versions etc?) - For the life of me I can't seem to get sleep working on my UD5 and want to try out your exact same setup with files and boot.

It's in the picture two posts above

steve

I use Chameleon 2 RC3, made the same DSDT modification, and successfully have video using the following in com.apple.boot.plist;

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>yes</string>

Excellent news!!!

I made my original install with PC EFI 10.3 and unmodified DSDT plus ATY_Init.kext.

My results may be affected by the fact that all tests have been done by swapping different bootloaders and modified DSDT files.

I will try fresh install to confirm.

Edit: Just finished fresh install and still can't get Graphic/Ethernet injection to work.

d00d,

Can you specify the following to help sort this case out:

1. Version of Chameleon used: Was it Chameleon-2.0-RC3-r658 ?

2. How DSDT was created: In Windows with koalala's DSDT Patcher or with D_D script ?

3. Can you post your DSDT and com.apple.boot.plist ?

4. Was that manual install or with D_D script ?

5. Can you provide Kexts list used and their location ?

Thank you in advance.

I think it's a problem with that WD Mybook that I'm using (it's the one with USB, Firewire, eSATA). When it's plugged in and the bios is set to boot from USB, it just hangs. When it's plugged in with USB not set to boot, my USB keyboard doesn't work during post. I have a WB usb only drive for timemachine and that one has no impact on anything during boot.

I have a really old USB drive that I'm going to clone to and see if that one works.

Well, that didn't work, same thing happened. Has anyone been able to boot a USB clone of their install?

1. Version of Chameleon used: Was it Chameleon-2.0-RC3-r658 ?

2. How DSDT was created: In Windows with koalala's DSDT Patcher or with D_D script ?

3. Can you post your DSDT ?

4. Was that manual install or with D_D script ?

5. Can you provide Kexts list used and their location ?

1. Correct.

2. Manual edits using EvOsx86's DSDTSE V1.2.4.

3. Attached dsdt_f8_s3_wak_rtc_tmr_pic_px40_hdef_video_hpet_ide_lan_loc.aml.zip.

4. Manual.

5. The following are in /Volumes/Boot\ OSX/Extra/Extensions.mkext;

ALC889a.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

fakesmc.kext

...and the following is in /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ (AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext and AppleRTL8169Ethernet removed);

RealtekR1000.kext

dsdt_f8_s3_wak_rtc_tmr_pic_px40_hdef_video_hpet_ide_lan_loc.aml.zip

1. Correct.

2. Manual edits using EvOsx86's DSDTSE V1.2.4.

3. Attached dsdt_f8_s3_wak_rtc_tmr_pic_px40_hdef_video_hpet_ide_lan_loc.aml.zip.

4. Manual.

5. The following are in /Volumes/Boot\ OSX/Extra/Extensions.mkext;

ALC889a.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

fakesmc.kext

...and the following is in /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ (AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext and AppleRTL8169Ethernet removed);

RealtekR1000.kext

a. In your Kext list I don't see IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext.

Is that true that you are not using it at all ?

b. Besides having Video and Ethernet working, how can you tell that Graphic/Ethernet injection have actually worked under Chameleon bootloader ?

I am asking because PC EFI 10.3/4 lets you know by showing PCI devices in System Profiler under PCI Cards.

If injection did not work they will not show there.

Should I expect the same behavior for Chameleon bootloader as well ?

Thanks guys for all the help, I have done almost every suggested post here and still end up with a black screen just before the desktop should load. This even happens when I use a boot CD and boot from the Installer DVD.

Obviously there is something wrong somewhere. I have even lost count of my install attempts. I will keep trying though. If anyone has DD's very first script (4.01) for SL install, please make it available so I can download. I just want to try it out just to be sure.

I will swap graphics cards and see if that helps. Even if my graphics card will not yield good performance, I am convinced booting off the install DVD should work no matter what.

Bummer, I am so tired :)

after doing a fresh install from SL to a new hard drive with SL on, I am all good to go apart from no audio and ethernet. not sure why these arent working, where is the best place to start?

Your ethernet and audio should be installed in S/L/E. Use dd's script to install the kexts and toggle them from extra to system by keying in their numbers and hitting enter.

Hope this helps :D

Pardon my ignorance but I can't work out from there if you installed all in e/e or s/l/e? Also which kext are you using for your ALC889a-64bit ?

Thanks!

Its a picture of the kexts in /Volume/EFI/Extra/Extensions (ignore Alc889A.Fix, I don't use it)

I'm using PC EFI 10.4 for my boot file

I have RealtekR1000 in /System/Library/Extensions

nothing else and running this in 32 bit mode, unfortunately sleep not working for me

I have the same setup in 64 bit on a different HD but sleep does work

The difference being that the 64 bit was a cleaner install, messed up some permissions on 32 bit, not sure what

a. In your Kext list I don't see IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext.

Is that true that you are not using it at all ?

b. Besides having Video and Ethernet working, how can you tell that Graphic/Ethernet injection have actually worked under Chameleon bootloader ?

I am asking because PC EFI 10.3/4 lets you know by showing PCI devices in System Profiler under PCI Cards.

If injection did not work they will not show there.

Should I expect the same behavior for Chameleon bootloader as well ?

I don't have to use IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext to not have my drives show up in the Finder with orange icons, because I have added the following to IDE1 and IDE2 (above `Device (PRIM)');

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
               {
                   Store (Package (0x02)
                       {
                           "device-id", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x81, 0x26, 0x00, 0x00
                           }
                       }, Local0)
                   DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                   Return (Local0)
               }

I'm not using Chameleon's EthernetBuiltIn option because I've added the following to PEX4 and PEX5 (change to location 2 for PEX5);

Device (LAN0)
               {
                   Name (_ADR, 0x00)
                   Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)
                   {
                       0x0B, 
                       0x04
                   })
                   Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                   {
                       Store (Package (0x06)
                           {
                               "location", 
                               Buffer (0x02)
                               {
                                   "1"   
                               },
                               "built-in", 
                               Buffer (0x01)
                               {
                                   0x01   
                               },
                               "device_type", 
                               Buffer (0x09)
                               {
                                   "ethernet"
                               }
                           }, Local0)
                       DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                       Return (Local0)
                   }
               }

My ethernet devices show in System Profiler under Ethernet Cards, not under PCI Cards, just like Apple hardware machines.

I see my video card in System Profiler under Graphics/Displays, the `xx.xx.xx - internal' ROM revision means that it's from Chameleon;

GeForce GTX 285:

Chipset Model:	GeForce GTX 285
 Type:	GPU
 Bus:	PCIe
 PCIe Lane Width:	x16
 VRAM (Total):	1024 MB
 Vendor:	NVIDIA (0x10de)
 Device ID:	0x05e3
 Revision ID:	0x00a1
 ROM Revision:	xx.xx.xx - internal
 Displays:
Display Connector:
DELL G2410:
 Resolution:	1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz
 Pixel Depth:	32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
 Main Display:	Yes
 Mirror:	Off
 Online:	Yes
 Rotation:	Supported

It would show `xx.xx.xx - NVIDIA.ROM' instead if you have a /NVIDIA.ROM file.

There is a DSDT modification that also shows your video card in System Profiler under PCI Cards like Apple hardware does, but I haven't made that change yet.

Your ethernet and audio should be installed in S/L/E. Use dd's script to install the kexts and toggle them from extra to system by keying in their numbers and hitting enter.

Hope this helps :)

thanks, that has fixed my audio for the first time. ethernet isnt working still tho, tried putting realtekr1000.kext into s/l/e but hasnt fixed it either.

thanks, that has fixed my audio for the first time. ethernet isnt working still tho, tried putting realtekr1000.kext into s/l/e but hasnt fixed it either.

Are you using chameleon or PcEfi Bootloader, make sure you boot in 32 bit mode. If you booted into 64 bit mode, you need to turn of your rig and pull out the power cord until the blue light on the board goes off or simply pull out the cord and wait 15 seconds, turn your machine back on.

You can type this at the bootloader screen if using Chameleon. arch=i386

hey

I want to install snow leopard on my system but I don't know how to manage to create a "physical drive" please take a look at this picture:

Picture

I hope you can help me, thanks in advance!

regards scream_deluxe

I took a look at your picture and it appears you have only one drive. You will need a second drive in order to install SL. One drive with 2 partitions is not recommended.

got it all going now, managed to break my whole install i was talking about in that post by mucking about with kexts, so redid it from beginning and its all working now. hoping firewire is gonna work ok, nothing to test it with just now

This thread is a bit tricky to follow, so I'll just ask:

Has anyone gotten audio working successfully in 64-bit Snow Leopard? If so, how?

if you are using DD's script, just install the 2 audio kexts to S/L/E and audio should work

got it all going now, managed to break my whole install i was talking about in that post by mucking about with kexts, so redid it from beginning and its all working now. hoping firewire is gonna work ok, nothing to test it with just now

There is nothing better than a working install...congrats

if you are using DD's script, just install the 2 audio kexts to S/L/E and audio should work

What? The audio kexts in DD's script are 32-bit only.

Audio

4) AppleHDA.kext 1.4.0a23 i386 1.2M /System

5) HDAEnabler.kext 1.0.0d1 i386 36K /System

Did my build over the weekend and it's working out for the most part. A few things still have me tripped up, in particular SATA stability and recognition when using all 6 of my 1TB drives. I initially set things up with just one drive in the system plugged into the ICHR10 slot 0. All was good once I worked through my own inability to follow DD's directions (and after I added EVOenabler.kext for my 4870).

Problems started when I added the other drives. At first I added all six to the ICHR10, but only a couple would show up in OSX even though they all show up in the BIOS. I then pulled out the additional five drives and started plugging them in one by one. Things worked fine for ICHR10 0-3, but OSX will not recognize drives in ICHR10 4 or 5 (that's with 0-3 full, I did not try skipping from 0 to 4). I moved the last two drives over to the JMicron and had to go through the same exercise to find a combination of ports that would allow all six drives to be seen by OSX. No matter where I plug them in, they all show up in BIOS, it's OSX that seems to be the issue.

Once I got all six drives recognized by OSX, I set up a couple of software RAID sets. One with two drives mirrored and one with three drives concatenated. Wow, was that a mistake. (I wanted to post the multi-RAID diskutil output for DD, but it looks like the wife turned the system off at home so I can't access it remotely right now.) I had a stability nightmare. I was getting lockups during file transfers, file access, and worst of all almost every time I used diskutil.

Time for Plan B. I'm now back to three drives, no RAID, all on ICHR10 0-2. It seems to be stable for now. It looks like the combination of JMicron and RAID was a no go. From the other posts it sounds like anything involving the JMicron ports is susceptible to stability issues.

To finally get to the question... Has anyone managed to get all six ICHR10 SATA ports to work at the same time? I'm hesitant to put anything on the JMicron right now. Ultimately, I want all six of my internal drives going, plus the eSATA setup for portable HDDs... 8 drives total (hence the purchase of a board with 10 ports).

System/Install Info

• GA-EX58-UD5
  • i7 920 (stock clock)
  • Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 1GB
  • 6GB Corsair 1600
  • 1 WD Caviar Green 1TB HDD
  • 2 Samsung F1 1TB HDDs
  • 3 WD Caviar Black 1TB HDDs
  • EFI v10.3 /extra
  • EVOEnabler.kext is the only one in use that wasn't included with DD's script.
  • Installed from a MacBook with SL. DSDT created using DD's script after moving the drive to the new system.

I took a look at your picture and it appears you have only one drive. You will need a second drive in order to install SL. One drive with 2 partitions is not recommended.

Thank you for your reply! :D

Could I take a old drive from my older pc (180 GB) or is this not a good idea?

Or should I buy a new one? If yes, how much GB I will need on this drive to run SL on it?