[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

@Enzo - Good luck to ya mate, I really hate random {censored} like that

Thanks for the advice guys. Before I tackle the dark world of DSDT editing I like to mention this...

Sleep stops working for me past version 10.5.8 (inclusive) - My current install of 10.5.7 sleep works just fine

Does this give any clues as to what might be causing my problems?

Thanks again

Apple changed the way the kernel interacted with AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext with 10.5.8 and with the change, the kernel then waited for a response from AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement before it put the system to sleep.

So you then had two options for sleep, which is the same today.

1 - use a DSDT with patched HPET and remove any Disabler for AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement, allowing your system to run with Apple's power management.

2 - Add SleepEnabler.kext (by pista7) in with the Disabler kext in Chameleon's /Extra/Extensions. SleepEnabler sends the kernel the correct message to allow it to sleep even though AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement is disabled.

But yes, I recommend you having a properly patched DSDT for your GA-P35C-DS3R and for that you are going to have to do some reading or find somebody else using your mobo who's already done it and is kind enough to share.

Hey i need to run disk utility off my osx cd to fix my boot drive but I can't seem to boot from a disk.

Whenever i try booting from a disk my computer ends up booting right into chameleon instead.

The disk drive works fine, the disk shows up in finder and everything.

Just can't boot from it.

Also the disk shows up in my chameleon preference pane but not in the gui when booting.

Any thoughts? Thanks

I have the ep45-ds3L.

I have the following issues:

Restart does not work

Nvidia 8800gs 384mb is not being recognized. I have inject set to ON in the com.apple.boot.plist

My processor does not show up correctly under About this mac. (I have a q6600)

Ram does not show correctly (I can edit SMbios to get this right) Isn't there a way to get this automatically detected? I have 2 gigs of Corsair XMS2

I also can't take screenshots (gfx issue?)

In my com.apple.boot.plist.

This is for 32 bit right? What do I need to do for 64 bit?

<key>arch</key>

<string>i386</string>

I've done so far:

Installed 10.6.2 and used Cartri's modified bios.

Followed step 3 and 4 of your guide to create my USB chameleon drive.

My cham drive consists of the following (I attached my Extra folder, just in case someone needs to look at it)

EXTRA

com.apple.boot.plist

extensions

smbios.plist

themes

EXTENSIONS

fakesmc.kext

LegacyHDA.kext

OrangeIconFix.kext

Any ideas on how to get Chameleon to inject my gfx for me? What's stopping it? I know it's worked before.

Extra.zip

Extra.zip

Hey :-)

I have two problems at hand now.

Problem 1: BIOS altered after restart from Windows 7?

I have three drives, two for SL, one for Windows 7. Everytime I boot into Windows 7 and restart from there, booting now into Snow Leopard, the boot of Snow Leopard hangs. When I shut down Windows 7, everything is back to normal.

I suspect, that a restart of Windows 7 doesn't clear the BIOS fully, while a complete shut down clears it, because when I restart from Windows 7, the BIOS-information display of my GA P35-DS4 is not the same, as if I do a real shut down.

Is there a setting in Windows 7, that is responsible for that behavior? And if so, which setting is it? Can it be switched off?

Problem 2: Every changing disk numbers in Snow Leopard

With those three drives I have, I notice, that the disk-numbers of my windows 7-drive is changing randomly across restarts/shutdown. Which is quite annoying, because I use VMWare to use this drive as bootcamp drive. Meanwhile VMWare has recognized this windows 7 drive three times as different disk number etc., forcing me to install the VMWare Tools every time anew.

Is there a way to force OSX to fix the drive numbers for internal drives? Or a workaround of any kind?

Thanks for an answer.

Professor©

I have the following issues:....

Hi jamesah

As you are using Cartri's modified BIOS, then for restart, he recommends using either EVOReboot.kext or OSXRestart.kext in /Extra/Extensions.

Your 8800GS should work using the GraphicsEnabler boot option in com.apple.Boot.plist. You can see it listed here in Chameleon's source code under device ID 0x10DE0606. If you card has a different device ID then maybe that's why it's not working? (see this post for more info about your device ID).

What does your processor show as in this About this Mac?

For your memory to be detected and have the fields in System Profiler populated automatically you need to use Asere's modified Chameleon RC4 bootloader, which at this time is the only option. Rekursor had been developing similar code into Chameleon but has been very busy for the last month on other projects so for now, the latest Chameleon RC5 pre-releases only have a part-implementation. If you want the full details displayed in System Profiler without using Asere's modified RC4 bootloader then you will need to add the information yourself in to the SMBIOS.plist.

To boot the kernel in 64-bit mode you just remove the arch=i386 key/string from com.apple.Boot.plist.

I have two problems at hand now.

Hi Professor

I have Windows 7 installed on another partition of one of my OS X drives and I have not experienced any problems after restarting from within Windows 7. So I am not too sure what the problem can be.

As for OS X recognising different disk numbers, I have seen it too and I think it only happens when selecting to boot from a different drive (pressing F12) from BIOS. A Similar discussion has been going on here.

Yes, I'm using the modified bios.

-Thanks, will get a reboot kext.

Maybe trying RC4 will do something for my graphics.

My proc shows as a quad core xeon.

I completely removed that string and I always get frozen at the apple boot screen. I'll verbose mode that later and see if I can find what's causing it.

Thanks for the help.

It appears that when I use the bios' DSDT my gfx won't inject properly. When I use a known working DSDT, gfx injection with chameleon works. Strange.

I posted this same info in Cartri's bios thread. I'm not sure where the conflict is. Either bios or chameleon I'm guessing...

Thanks for the help none the less!

Great!!

I have to say that it has been a great week end working on this project.

I followed the guide step by step all the way.

I have updated the system to 10.6.2 and every thing looks good.

Im using a GeForce 8400 gs that is working fine,

And my MOBO is a GA-X48-DS4 and is working fine except for the audio.

It has aALC 889a and not the 888 that your MOBO has, and I just cant find how to make it work.

Please, if you can point me in the right direction,would be great...

My proc shows as a quad core xeon.

Hi jamesah

About your CPU detection, read here. And for the QE/CI of your video card, using Cartri's BIOS, you will need to add PCiRoot=1 boot option to the /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist (I posted that also to Cartri's thread for you).

It has aALC 889a and not the 888 that your MOBO has, and I just cant find how to make it work.

Hi titodj

For audio, you are going to need a DSDT patched with HDEF for your motherboard - Either build your own or find someone else who has one (You are going to have to search for a thread for that).

And a LegacyHDA.kext for ALC889A - See tmongkol's thread for that.

Great!!

Try a thread for the GA-EP45C-UD3R which uses the same audio too if you are looking for the right legacy audio kexts. I patched mine in my DSDT so it won't work for you.

Great!!

I have to say that it has been a great week end working on this project.

I followed the guide step by step all the way.

I have updated the system to 10.6.2 and every thing looks good.

Im using a GeForce 8400 gs that is working fine,

Please, if you can point me in the right direction,would be great...

I have just what you need:

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2009/11/cre...ur-dsdtaml.html

blacksox, I noticed one thing in Mac about my memory modules is that it is being detected as 800MHz while in BIOS it is showing it as 1066MHz (the correct one). So why is Mac showing less? Is it not utilizing full speed?

It's a cosmetic issue. You RAM is still running at 1066HHz. I'm at work and don't have time to tell you how to fix it.

So somebody tried 10.6.3 ? :-)

I'm tempted to try it, but I'm waiting for a post on Netkas' site just in case we need to update any kext(s) and/or there's a new package to enable graphics acceleration. I'd rather wait a day or two than have to reinstall everything. :)

I'm tempted to try it, but I'm waiting for a post on Netkas' site just in case we need to update any kext(s) and/or there's a new package to enable graphics acceleration. I'd rather wait a day or two than have to reinstall everything. :D

This is what we are living for! :) To see if our install will run correctly after a major dot update!

So this is my current status:

post-246944-1269885540_thumb.png

10.6.3 works just fine. But please notice that I am NOT using SleepEnabler. If you do you should wait for new version of it or confirmation that it works, because it will probably cause Kernel Panic on boot.

EDIT: Sound is not working

(This can be temporarily solved by using AppleHDA.kext from 10.6.2 until there is better solution)

Thanks for posting titan 4 :)

Yes, 10.6.3 update has gone fine for me.

I don't use SleepEnabler either but there is a SleepEnabler for 10.6.3 floating about somewhere.

The only audio fix I know of at the moment which works, apart from replacing the older AppleHDA.kext from 10.6.2 , is to edit the AppleHDA binary inside the 10.6.3 AppleHDA.kext in /S/L/E. (Thanks to tmongkol & thiagomorales for sharing). I have done it and it works fine. I will post details of it shortly..

EDIT: More info

Sorry if this is short, but I can't be about much this evening as I am very busy and away from my hack...

The 10.6.3 update is new and it has worked for me on my GA-EP45-DS3L, but as with any point update from Apple, be sensible and apply the update to your back up installation first, before applying to your main installation. That way you can check everything is working for your hardware. Always check netkas' page as he is always in the ball as to what to look out for.

To use the 10.6.3 AppleHDA.kext you need to edit it.

You can do that by making a backup of your original AppleHDA.kext from /S/L/E and patching the AppleHDA binary (which is inside the kext) in a hex editor like hexedit. You need to search for four occurences of 85 08 EC 10 and replace with 88 08 EC 10. Here's a patched binary I did earlier which you can used to replace the current AppleHDA binary inside the AppleHDA.kext.

That's all I have time for now, hopefully I can report back later, but in the mean time please post any other issues, and findings etc.. and I'll try an have a look later.

EDIT: I have since found time to post the complete patched AppleHDA.kext rather that just the binary that I posted before. You can get it here.

Damn ;)

Just updated (removed SleepEnabler first, mind you) and I got a kernel panic on boot with an 'Kext mismatch kernel error'

Think it might be the CPU Power Management kext. Do I need this? What does it do?

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext ?

You need it to disable AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext if you don't use speedstep.

The only audio fix I know of at the moment which works, apart from replacing the older AppleHDA.kext from 10.6.2 , is to edit the AppleHDA binary inside the 10.6.3 AppleHDA.kext in /S/L/E. (Thanks to tmongkol & thiagomorales for sharing). I have done it and it works fine. I will post details of it shortly..

I don't really see any difference in cleanliness of these solutions except that replacing with older kext is easier :-)

Meh. I just switched to VoodooHDA and removed AppleHDA.kext.

I just updated to 10.6.3 and everything works OK.

I fixed my audio with backup of my 10.6.2 AppleHDA and then replacing the new one with the 10.6.2 -- it works :D

@Blackosx, looking forward to the AppleHDA patching method. greets and cheers :D

EDIT: I replaced patched AppleHDA binary in AppleHDA.kext and audio (ALC888) works perfectly. thanks, blackosx :)