[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

The card worked fine with 10.5.7,8 and the other card I'm trying to update to 10.6 is an ATi 2400. I used a really clean installer that patched both 100%. No QE/CI on the 2400.

Yes, 10.5 was fine but 10.6 is not.

and all the links for EFI are to a mediafire page that appears to be expired.

Click the 'booter' link on this page to download it, uncompress it and then replace Chameleon's boot file with that.

EDIT: I've just tried it and it boots successfully for me, though I think you will have to add the Restart=Yes key/string to your com.apple.Boot.plist.

This is for Tooly and anybody else who may benifit:

The board I use (GA-EP45T-DS3R is very similar to the one used in BlackOSX's guide.

I created a custom DSDT file and now my system is 99.9999% perfect (for as much as I have tested so far anyway and for what I do with it). I created my custom DSDT using BIOS F4b (I will be making one for the F4c BETA BIOS soon). I am running on F4c BIOS now and my DSDT from F4b seems to work fine.

Also, I am currently using these kext files in my Extra\Extensions folder on my Cham partition:

Disabler.kext

fakesmc.kext

IONetworkingFamily.kext

LegacyHDA.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OranceIconFix.kext

RealtekR1000SL.kext

SleepEnabler.kext

I WANTED to attach my DSDT file here for you to try if you desire, but I keep getting this message when I try: "Upload failed. You are not permitted to upload this type of file"

Why can't I upload and HOW can I upload? Then I will.

Thanks,

Mammoth

What are you using to back up your systems? I know about Time Machine, and I'm a noob with SuperDuper, but what I really want is a "Ghost" type of backup for the entire drive. It would be great if I could periodically clone my entire drive (all partitions OS X, Win 7, OS X repair install, etc), that way if things really go south, I can just blast an entire image back to the drive.

Also individual images (so that if I blow up Win 7 for example, I could just lay back down an image on that partition and be ready to go.

Thanks!

Change SMproductname to MacPro3,1 in SMBIOS.plist. It has been noted many times in this thread.

Thank you SO MUCH for posting this! And a big DOUBLE thank you for actually posting the needed info rather than just say "It's been posted before... search for it." MAN I hate it when people do that.

Thanks again!!

:)

Thanks blackosx,

Acouple of them links I didnt see in my searchings so thanks.

And the wiki made it very confusing;)

I have my desktop set up as my hackintosh and really the only reason I want it is because it seems everything with the iphone has to be enabled by wifi to work on mac, chicken of vnc, track pad, ect. So I think it might just be easier to find a way to work these programs via usb cable.

thanks,

Nando690

Here's another minor issue: My GA-EP43-DS3L based build accesses its DVD+-R drive (TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223F) without any reason. The drive is a tray one, no CD or DVD is inserted and there's no application running except for the finder.

Despite of that, every few minutes the DVD drive access LED lits and I can hear the laser pickup carriage move. This doesn't happen with Windows 7.

I don't want the DVD drive lifespan being degraded by the unnecessary accesses.

Any hints?

Hi landmark

I can't really help you on this, but I know I have read many posts in the past about issues with TSSTcorp DVD drives. Exactly where they are and what the were about I don't know from the top of my head but I know they have been problematic.

Hope you find something out :)

I have my desktop set up as my hackintosh and really the only reason I want it is because it seems everything with the iphone has to be enabled by wifi to work on mac, chicken of vnc, track pad, ect. So I think it might just be easier to find a way to work these programs via usb cable.

Hi nandor690

My hack is connected to my WiFi router by ethernet cable, and I can communicate with my iPhone perfectly well through that router using the iPhones WiFi connection. Though I must admit, I am not using and VNC apps or track pad.

What are you using to back up your systems? I know about Time Machine, and I'm a noob with SuperDuper, but what I really want is a "Ghost" type of backup for the entire drive. It would be great if I could periodically clone my entire drive (all partitions OS X, Win 7, OS X repair install, etc), that way if things really go south, I can just blast an entire image back to the drive.

Hi Mammoth

All I can tell you is I have successfully used CarbonCopyCloner to create a disc image (.dmg) of my OS X install which I can store on HDD or make a compressed disc image for writing to DL-DVD. I have then been able to restore my complete OS X system from that disc image to another partition, but note, thats' doing it from another OS X installation. I haven't explored any other options.

I can't really help you on this, but I know I have read many posts in the past about issues with TSSTcorp DVD drives. Exactly where they are and what the were about I don't know from the top of my head but I know they have been problematic.

I can confirm that. I have Samsung DVD Drive as well. It causes random access even when there is no disc insterted and creates issues with auto-sleep functionality.

So I got a P55 setup going via the OSInstall.mpkg method, and it worked just fine. However, I could not install the Cham2 in your source files. This was done via another install, via a usb->sata adapter. I kept getting a Permission denied error when trying to install Cham2 manually. So I ended up just using Dr.Hurts. rc5pre8 and that worked. The system booted on it's own for the first time, and has been running fine. However, when trying to "update" the Cham2 version, that is install the one from your sources files, and this time from within the system it's on, I again received a permission denied error at the same step where you use the fdisk file. What is going on here?

I am more interested in the issue now, because today, the system would not boot, stating "Can't Find mach_kernel" I then found this strange fix that actually worked. I press any key to stop the timer in Cham2, then I select another partition (Win), just selecting it, while NOT pressing enter (booting it), and then switching the selection back to Snow Leopard, this worked!

Is this a bug with the Cham2 version I'm running? Dr.Hurts RC5pre8? Or is something else wrong with the install? =/ Seeing as I can't get past that permissions error when trying to install Cham2 manually. The other thing I've noticed not working is setting a Default boot partition. I set it according to how Terminal->Diskutil List sees them, but it still, at boot, has the wrong one selected =/.

Edit: been doing some reading, it seems it could be the partition/table, which will prob require re-installing/starting all over.

^^ I mean the Chameleon 2 version in your support files, though the point being that a manual install is not being allowed, with a "Permission Denied" error. This is when following your "Install Chameleon Manually" instructions word for word =/. Right now I just want to see if there really is something wrong with the partition or partition table, and if I do in fact gotta re-partition the drive.

So I got a P55 setup going via the OSInstall.mpkg method, and it worked just fine.

Well yes it will install but do it with a lot of errors as you are finding out. That's why this method is not recommended. read the guide!

haha yeah, I know, but I was feeling curious at the time, and it did work. Furthermore the errors are when installing Chameleon only... haven't noticed anything else, so was just trying to get some feedback regarding said "Permission Denied" error.

Dear Blackosx,

Your guide is amazing! :)

After reading it thoroughly i finaly decided to buy the ep45-ds3l

and all other hardware recomended by your guide.

And to start my journey from my leo 10.5.8 to leo snow 10.6.2 thanks to you

very exited!

though i know this thread is filled with precious info for me i haven't finished reading all of it yet

i am Sorry if my question already exists here :

Can i install Chameleon on the Snow "Leopard partition" or is it important to create the CHAM

partition as mentioned in your guide?

thanks

best wishes

hagy :) )

:D

Can i install Chameleon on the Snow "Leopard partition" or is it important to create the CHAM

Best to install on a Cham partition. It's so much easier to update Chameleon and trouble-shoot.

Hi, friend. I'm curious. Where are you from?

The Jersey Shore...USA! The Original Situation! :pirate2:

Thanks to all who continually contribute and help everyone out - THANKS!

I'm having a networking issue I would like help in resolving. Sometimes I can see computers on my network, sometimes I cannot. Sometimes I can see some machines, but not all. Normally these appear in Finder between DEVICES and PLACES.

I have Internet access, never a problem there, even when I can't see the other machines. I can ping the other machines from Terminal, so they are there. Most of these machines are PC Microsoft based machines.

I have set my machine up according to BlackOSX's guides, and you can see my sig below for machine specifics. I used the method of copying IONetworkingFamily.kext to the E/E partition (maybe I should have moved it instead?) and then copied the RealtekR10000SL.kext from BlackOSX's files to E/E and made the modifications as outlined in the Guides.

In Network settings, I had the NIC set to Auto, but even tried changing to manual, which had no effect.

Is anyone or has anyone seen this and have any ideas how I could fix it?

Thanks!

So I got a P55 setup going via the OSInstall.mpkg method, and it worked just fine. However, I could not install the Cham2 in your source files. This was done via another install, via a usb->sata adapter. I kept getting a Permission denied error when trying to install Cham2 manually. So I ended up just using Dr.Hurts. rc5pre8 and that worked. The system booted on it's own for the first time, and has been running fine. However, when trying to "update" the Cham2 version, that is install the one from your sources files, and this time from within the system it's on, I again received a permission denied error at the same step where you use the fdisk file. What is going on here?

Hi EnzoFX

Sorry not to answer your questions sooner but I have been very busy.

All I can suggest if you're getting "Permission denied" error is it's something wrong with permissions (hate to state the obvious). You know this already, but double check you are using sudo to gain root privileges. You could also try unmounting the Cham partition before writing to it?

If you still can't get it to work then maybe backup your /Extra folder, erase the Cham partition in Disk Utility and rebuild it. That's the beauty of the separate cham partition :)

I am more interested in the issue now, because today, the system would not boot, stating "Can't Find mach_kernel" I then found this strange fix that actually worked. I press any key to stop the timer in Cham2, then I select another partition (Win), just selecting it, while NOT pressing enter (booting it), and then switching the selection back to Snow Leopard, this worked!

Interesting.. but I can't explain it. Well done with working out a solution to get around it.

Seeing as I can't get past that permissions error when trying to install Cham2 manually. The other thing I've noticed not working is setting a Default boot partition. I set it according to how Terminal->Diskutil List sees them, but it still, at boot, has the wrong one selected =/.

If you have more than one HDD in your system and have instructed BIOS to boot from a different drive other than the first one then I think the result is the drives then appear swapped in Disk Utility but Chameleon will still see the original order of drives in BIOS. So you need to set the default partition boot option in your com.apple.Boot.plist to equal the drive number as BIOS sees it. (I think?). :)

Edit: been doing some reading, it seems it could be the partition/table, which will prob require re-installing/starting all over.

Okay, so were you not using a GUID partition table?

Hi hagy and welcome :)

As Johnny V mentioned, having Chameleon installed on to a separate partition is the easiest way to manage your system, as you can easily erase that partition and re-install Chameleon if you ever need to without messing with your OS X installation.

But it's not the only way to do it, and you can install Chameleon on to either the same partition as the retail OS X install, or on to the hidden EFI partition of the HDD. If you want to use either of those ways then you'll find lots of information about them on the forums. However, I only support here the method with Chameleon on a separate partition.

I'm having a networking issue I would like help in resolving. Sometimes I can see computers on my network, sometimes I cannot. Sometimes I can see some machines, but not all. Normally these appear in Finder between DEVICES and PLACES.

Hi Mammoth

It's a bonjour thing and to be honest I have never really looked too deeply in to it with regard to networking, other than using the remote app on my iphone to control iTunes. I use the ifconfig method rather than the RealtekR1000SL.kext for activating bonjour, but I don't know if that would make a difference.

can anyone help me install this on a ud3l should i follow this guide and should i make any variations

more info is here

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=213289

Problem will probably be the ATI hd 4890 video card. nVidia brand is recommended. There are ATI work-arounds that I've read in passing - but not sure where they are.

Other than the ATI video card issue, looks like this install should work as your motherboard has the same components as the EP45-DS3L.

@stickman1000000 - It's not the politest thing to cross post!

But you should be able to follow the install PDF's here and have a successful installation as others have done before you, though the PDF's here are mostly tailored for nVidia cards and not ATI.

Easiest way to get installed will be to swap in a different video card for now, but I have had a quick search for you and found this post from may last year from your HD4890 but that is for a 10.5 system not a 10.6 system. Other than that, check Netkas' site for more details as he has the knowledge.

(Thanks for the help Johnny V :D)

can anyone help me install this on a ud3l should i follow this guide and should i make any variations

more info is here

stickman1000000

I have a perfectly working systems with a GA-EP45-UD3L. I followed Blackosx's guide to the letter, and eveything works like a charm (including sleep/wake, updates, etc).

Make sure to have a NVIDIA card and no IDE devices. It makes it much easier. I have a ASUS EN8400GS (like this) and could not be happier.

more info is here

As I am on slightly different hardware than this thread, I can attest that 99% of what is here will work for you. Only difference is your graphics card and your Audio kexts may be slightly different. But follow the guide and you will get a stable system with just a couple of kinks to work out. Oh, and LEARN HOW TO DO YOUR OWN DSDT! Totally changes everything.

For the record, GA-EP45C-UD3R here. Trying 4 gigs of DDR3 next week which is the only reason I got the board.

Blackosx remember how I found a way to make waking up from sleep to fail by pushing keys after going to sleep ? Well I found another way and I am pretty sure that is the real cause I had this problem. Thing is since you can wake up by unplugging/plugging usb devices (like iPhone). Well I found out that it fails to wake up if I unplug my iPhone after I press sleep shortcut and before it really goes to sleep. Not that funny as pushing keys :-)