[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

Hi Titan4 - yeah I remember :blowup:

So I guess, being connected by USB, unplugging your iphone is the same as pressing a key on the keyboard? Thanks for the post and it's useful to know and one day we might find a solution, but it's not something I have ever done with my iphone and like when I experimented with the keyboard when you originally posted the problem, I have never done that since either.

I wonder if this same issue exists with using an Asus or MSI mobo?

blackosx: It makes sense that reason why it never happened to me before is because I wasn't able to wake up by USB with older DSDT. (And to be honest I would prefer to lose waking with USB instead of this.)

I do it a lot at evening. I am using iPhone as alarm clock and I just put computer to sleep and take iPhone to my bed automatically. :-(

Hello again, BlackOSX. A few months ago I had posted asking if you knew any reason why my hacintosh would not display video on an LCD television via DVI to HDMI.

After many different configurations and attempts, I finally found what did the trick.

In 10.6.2, the files "NVDANV50Hal.kext" and "NVDAResman.kext" are replaced with new ones in the Extensions folder of your system.

If you are having this problem, simply replace those files with the origional from the install DVD and your television should be working with no problems.

Doing this, the computer recognises the monitor, can display at full 1080P, and has no hickups whatsoever. And the origional file structure stays intact with no real messing around with the system.

You just have to keep the older version of the files. And from what I've read, this is actually happening on legitimate Apple computers with Snow Leopard 10.6.2 as well. So it is not hardware related.

Hi blackosx,

Thanks for the amazing tutorial and step by step. This has been great. I was able to get everything working with a ga-ep45-ud3l, and updated to 10.6.2. Everything seemed to be working 100% and then this morning my sound card stopped being recognized. I had just updated some programs (ilife, iwork, and ms office - sound was working after their initial install) as well as doing the security updates. Searched through this thread, but wasn't able to find a solution (although there are a lot of posts here, so I apologize if I missed something). Google turned up others with the same issue, but they weren't able to find a solution on the threads that I found. Any suggestions or am I looking at a reinstall and then holding back on the updates?

Thanks.

....(And to be honest I would prefer to lose waking with USB instead of this.)

I do it a lot at evening. I am using iPhone as alarm clock and I just put computer to sleep and take iPhone to my bed automatically. :-(

Hi titan4

Yeah, I have to agree with you there. As I have my iPhone in a dock and taking it from the dock after I have put my machine to sleep wakes it up.. Annoying I know, but I don't think we can isolate it...

EDIT: I have just tried this on my PowerMac G5 and the same happens - The Mac wakes up from sleep when I unplug my iPhone..

BTW. Does everyone see the 'Report' button now in red?

After many different configurations and attempts, I finally found what did the trick.

Hi Farshnowshkin

Yes, I remember. Thanks for coming back and sharing the solution - I am sure a few will find it useful. :gun:

Everything seemed to be working 100% and then this morning my sound card stopped being recognized.

Hi treehuggerguy

You refer to your sound card - What hardware are you using for sound?

I ask as I have only dealt with the motherboards' onboard sound.

As your mobo uses ALC888 like mine then you should be able to use the LegacyHDA.kext and DSDT from the support files linked on the front page. If your sound has stopped working then either the DSDT patched with HDEF, LegacyHDA.kext in Chameleon's /Extra/Extensions or the untouched AppleHDA.kext in /System/Library/Extensions has been changed.

If you replace your DSDT and legacyHDA.kext files with the ones from the support files then you will know they are correct.

If your sound has stopped working then either the DSDT patched with HDEF, LegacyHDA.kext in Chameleon's /Extra/Extensions or the untouched AppleHDA.kext in /System/Library/Extensions has been changed.

If you replace your DSDT and legacyHDA.kext files with the ones from the support files then you will know they are correct.

Blackosx, thanks for the help.

The first thing that I did was replace the 10.6.2 kexts into chameleon's partition. Just now I've changed the AppleHDA.kext out with one from the working backup partition, which also didn't work. I'm still showing "No output devices found". I tried copying over the entire extensions folder - as there were more kexts in main extension folder (207 vs 188 on the backup), but then it wouldn't boot (stopped at spinning wheel). After restoring the folder it will boot again, but still with no sound.

Would it be helpful if I gave you a list of kexts? I would just reinstall everything, but I'm worried that I'll lose sound again as soon as I update (of course, if I did that I'd clone the drive just prior to doing this, I'm kicking myself that I didn't do this to start with). Would that be your recommended course of action?

Also, this is quite random, but sometimes my DVD drive shoots out quickly and then gets stuck in the out position. It does this when booting from both the main and backup partitions, seemingly random (about half the time).

how did you guys fix your orange icons? dsdt? kext? i tried the included reviseorangeiconfix.kext but it doesn't work on my EP45-UD3L.

It should work. All I can suggest is to re-download the support files and try it again.

The first thing that I did was replace the 10.6.2 kexts into chameleon's partition.

Great, as the only kext you need in /E/E for audio is LegacyHDA.kext.

This works in conjunction with the Device HDEF patched in to DSDT and the default (untouched) AppleHDA.kext in /S/L/E.

Just now I've changed the AppleHDA.kext out with one from the working backup partition, which also didn't work. I'm still showing "No output devices found". I tried copying over the entire extensions folder - as there were more kexts in main extension folder (207 vs 188 on the backup), but then it wouldn't boot (stopped at spinning wheel). After restoring the folder it will boot again, but still with no sound.

This install is all about not touching the system install. You should have absolutely no need to touch, edit, replace or add anything to /System/Library/Extensions other than maybe when using VoodooPState.kext to get your initial FID/VID values for setting up speedstep. So you only need to add the DSDT.aml to Chameleon's /Extra and LegacyHDA.kext to Chameleon's /E/E.

When I mentioned previously about options for your audio not working, I did say that one of three things must have changed which would be either the DSDT.aml, LegacyHDA.kext or the untouched AppleHDA.kext. But I have never had a need to replace AppleHDA.kex as it won't have changed unless you had changed it, had you?. I didn't expect you to replace the AppleHDA.kext if you hadn't, sorry if I misguided you there.

Would it be helpful if I gave you a list of kexts?

It's not necessary to supply a list of kexts as I have the default set of kexts installed by Snow Leopard, as will everybody else here.

I would just reinstall everything, but I'm worried that I'll lose sound again as soon as I update (of course, if I did that I'd clone the drive just prior to doing this, I'm kicking myself that I didn't do this to start with). Would that be your recommended course of action?

You shouldn't need to do a re-install, as long as all your system kexts are back as they should be. It would be wise to run Disk Utility and repair permissions though.

You could clone your drive with CarbonCopyCloner if you wanted to. I used to use it to make backups of my system once I had it finally installed, but that was back when we had to edit the main system to get it fully functioning. The installation described in this guide uses a normal untouched retail install so there's no real need to make a back up of that as you can replace it just by running again the original installer from the OS X DVD.

Having said that, when I install a system I always then go on to install things like my screen calibration profile, Growl, Dropbox, GoogleNotifier and iStatMenus. So after doing that, I could use CarbonCopyCloner to back up to a disc image. Then just restoring that image to a new partition will give me a system with that already done.

Also, this is quite random, but sometimes my DVD drive shoots out quickly and then gets stuck in the out position. It does this when booting from both the main and backup partitions, seemingly random (about half the time).

I don't know why your DVD drive is doing that.

It should work. All I can suggest is to re-download the support files and try it again.

Thanks for the help and taking the time - I feel like such a newbie here (more comfortable with Linux).

Turns out I should have mentioned the cardinal sin of restoring some information from a time machine (with my settings from my dell mini). I thought it wasn't moving any vital system stuff, but I guess I was. Sound didn't disappear until the first restart (after the updates) so I didn't figure out this is what had done the damage. Thanks for the tip on CCC. I used this to clone from the backup partition and just build up again, without using the time machine backup. Now everything works great... except for the DVD drive

I don't know why your DVD drive is doing that.

I've linked it to inserting usb drives. If I plug in a usb drive the DVD tray shoots out and continues trying to eject (even with it stuck out... it's loud and sounds fantastically bad for the drive). I can prevent it from happening by restarting after I have to insert a usb drive. Somewhat odd. I'll look for a solution, and if I find it I'll post it back here. I'm guessing it's specific to my model of drive (an ASUS).

Thanks again for all the hard work on your tutorial/the files/this thread!

Thanks for the suggestions Blackosx! re: my OSInstall.mkpg method on this last particular install, and getting permission denied when installing Cham. The partition table is GPT, but I was hoping for more general tips. For example, the system is working fine, is there something that would jump out right away if something was "wrong" with my method of install?

In hindsight, I shouldn't have jumped the gun and stuck with the usb Installer method that's never given me an issue, but for now, leaving this new install alone.

Also, for the person asking if it's necessary to install Cham in it's own partition, no, it's not, but it's invaluable as many would attest to. If it's the idea of having another drive on your desktop (which will see no use once set up), then I recommend a script that would unmount the partition @ login. This is what I do, and I use it to unmount my Windows7 partitions as well, as I have no need for them within OS X. The end result is something transparent to the end user.

DSDT & Adding HW ?

Hi - a quick one: If I add new HW to my hack e.g. a new PCI USB controller - do I have to go thru the dsdt-creating process again ??

Currently everything is working fine on my EP45-DS3L with 10.6.2 .....

thanks

G.H

I've linked it to inserting usb drives. If I plug in a usb drive the DVD tray shoots out and continues trying to eject

I'll look for a solution, and if I find it I'll post it back here.

Okay. And likewise, if I ever come across this I will post here too :wacko:

...is there something that would jump out right away if something was "wrong" with my method of install?

Hi Enzo FX

You will know if the OSInstall.mpkg method has given you problems as you will experience random KP's. If however you don't experience random KP's and your system seems to be running fine then I guess it's fine and you don't need to make any changes. :)

But unfortunately, I still don't know why you are having problems installing Chameleon.

Hi - a quick one: If I add new HW to my hack e.g. a new PCI USB controller - do I have to go thru the dsdt-creating process again ??

Hi g_h

I think the DSDT just describes the onboard hardware for your motherboard so I don't think you will need to add anything for external cards. I recently plugged in an old firewire PCI card and it works just fine.. So I can suggest you try it an see. :(

Of course I could be completely wrong here.. :)

Guys...

2 Questions:

1. A USB install doesn't necessarily have to be on a USB stick right?

I could for instance, use a partition on another hard drive instead?

This is something I have already done and I know it works, but I could NOT get sleep working! I'm just trying to iron out every kink in the process so I know that I've done everything I can

2. Part 3 of this guide: Installing Chameleon. Where do I do this from?

An existing install or from the Snow Leopard Installer?

Cheers

Hi fuzzywasaduck2

1 - Absolutely. Here's an old post from shamansanchez.

2 - Good question. Part 3 of the guide is intended to follow on from Part 2 so after installation of Snow Leopard from part 2, reboot and boot from either the BootCD or the bootable USB in to the fresh 10.6 install. Then install Chameleon from there. Or if you have an existing install, then do it from there.

Hope that helps ;)

Thanks - that all worked. Snow is installed!

But as the great Columbo used to say... "Just one more thing..."

I can't get sleep working. I've tried a few installs of SL now and sleep is the one thing I just can't get working

Can you offer any advice? What are the common causes for sleep not working?

Thanks once again - absolute top notch guide :(

Well done fuzzywasaduck2 :(

Sleep not working is normally due to a hardware device not entering sleep correctly therefore not allowing the system to enter sleep, so it could well be one of your USB devices.. All I can suggest is try sleep with each unplugged or swapped to try and rule out an individual peripheral.

When I had this problem, I tried everything I could think of to get sleep working and about a month later I finally discovered it was my cheap USB mouse that was the culprit. I swapped it for a different one and volia!

Oh good to know! I too just found out sleep is no longer working correctly on my system. I noticed that the computer fans/psu stay on. This is something that seems to have happened right after a power failure here =/. It just seems odd, but I'll try the diff devices tip =).

Sleep not working is normally due to a hardware device not entering sleep correctly therefore not allowing the system to enter sleep, so it could well be one of your USB devices.. All I can suggest is try sleep with each unplugged or swapped to try and rule out an individual peripheral.

Ah, OK. This is promising

However... I've tried:

• Removing mouse
  • Removing PCI firewire card
  • Removing USB hub and other devices
  • Changing the physical USB port for my apple keyboard

Still can't get sleep to work ;)

In my days of sleep darkness only thing I needed to do was enable Start up automatically after a power failure in Energy Saver preferences. And yes I know that blackosx somewhere written that it is no longer needed but you know it's true, when something exceeds your ability to understand how it works, it sort of becomes magical :-)

EDIT: blackosx...damn I was trying to be funny :(

@EnzoFX - It's strange how your sleep has decided to stop functioning correctly...

@fuzzywasaduck2 - I was hoping the earlier idea of badly behaving hardware might have helped you, but I guess it hasn't....

Well, sleep has always been one of those areas where if it doesn't work for you then it's unfortunately up to you to find out why. There are many threads on this forum dedicated to sleep and there have been plenty of discussions in the past in this thread too about sleep too but I can only speak about what I have done with the GA-EP45-DS3L.

I know with the hardware and BIOS settings I have shown in the guide, along with the DSDT and kexts in the support files, sleep works with my system, and I have four different OS X installations on my hack, where sleep works just fine on each. So based on using those, if sleep doesn't work then I generally point to hardware being the cause.

You might find it handy to have a look at this post by Stellarolla. But unfortunately guys, it's gonna be a trail and error approach for you.

EDIT: Thanks for adding that titan4, though the 'Start up automatically after a power failure' option when it was needed, only helped my machine wake from sleep. Without it, my machine used to restart when waking. But you're right to mention that the requirement for it was removed by MasterChief with a DSDT fix, and that fix is in the DSDT used here. But when searching for a sleep answer, anything's worth a try so guys, it might be worth trying it. ;)

EDIT2: titan4 - you're great... and you can be funny too.. Lol :D

Ah, OK. This is promising

However... I've tried:

• Removing mouse
  • Removing PCI firewire card
  • Removing USB hub and other devices
  • Changing the physical USB port for my apple keyboard

Don't forget that a lot of us could not get sleep to work properly until we did the DSDT hack to make the USB devices appear to be builtin. Mine works perfectly now.

Yeah, it's definitely trial and error, and most of the times, just works or doesn't. However, it's weird here that it'd just stop for me. I really have to attribute it to the power failure that happened just before that night. I'm going to try resetting the CMOS and reconfiguring the BIOS. The power failure didn't reset it, but I want to cover my bases here before I give up =P.