[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

We still need the LegacyHDA.kext though with the edited AppleHDA.kext right?

Is there a way that we can use AppleHDA.kext in the Extra/Extensions folder isntead of keeping it in the S/L/E folder?

And I suggest to everyone who's using the Bonjour kext fix method to move the Realtek1000SL.Kext out to a different folder, then delete the IONetworkingFamily.kext, update to 10.6.3 then re-copy the IONetworkingFamily.kext from S/L/E then change the info.plist again instead of using 10.6.2 just incase it could have been updated.

Upgraded and all is running....

Here's my original Cham/Extensions for 10.6.2:

fakesmc.kext

LegacyHDA.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OrangeIconFix.kext

OSXRestart.kext

SleepEnabler.kext

VoodooPowerMini.kext

First I removed NullCPUPowerManagement.kext from the Cham/Extensions folder.

Installed 10.6.3 Combo

Restarted and a kernel panic occurred after the Chameleon screen.

Next... rebooted to my trusty iPC 10.5.6 hard drive and removed SleepEnabler.kext

Rebooted into 10.6.3 with sound!

Here's my new Cham/Extensions for 10.6.3:

fakesmc.kext

LegacyHDA.kext

OrangeIconFix.kext

OSXRestart.kext

VoodooPowerMini.kext

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I"ve noticed both monitors (dual-monitors) lost their custom profiles and had to reassign them. Maybe Apple fixed the color management issues?

I'm wondering why my sound is working? Do others not have a sound problem?

My CPU temps seem 3-4 degrees higher... guess taking out NullCPUPowerManagement.kext does this? I don't have SpeedStep in my DSDT.

I haven't checked Sleep yet.

All and all this was the smoothest dot upgrade I've ever done.

Good Luck to all.

There is some new version of sleepenabler that should work with 10.6.3 if anybody have difficulties finding it:

http://www.meklort.com/?p=167

Thanks titan4!

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext ?

You need it to disable AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext if you don't use speedstep.

I don't really see any difference in cleanliness of these solutions except that replacing with older kext is easier :-)

Hmm. Anyone know how I would go about fixing my predicament?

I'm wondering why my sound is working? Do others not have a sound problem?

Because ALC889 is not affected. Only ALC888 is :-)

Hmm. Anyone know how I would go about fixing my predicament?

You can try remove it to see if it helps. It won't make your computer explode, only you will have higher temperatures (same as Johny V). If if helps you have your victim. If it doesn't you can put it back and try something else.

Because ALC889 is not affected. Only ALC888 is :-)

You can try remove it to see if it helps. It won't make your computer explode, only you will have higher temperatures (same as Johny V). If if helps you have your victim. If it doesn't you can put it back and try something else.

Turns out there was another SleepEnabler hidden for some reason. Sorry. That was careless.

All is working fine now apart form AL888. {censored}. :-( I loved having everything working natively with my DSDT.

No luck with this sleepenabler. Installed in Cham/E restarted and kernel panic occurred.

I am sorry for that. It looks by comments that it usually works. As I don't use it I can't tell if it works for me or not :(

No problem. There's a couple links @ http://www.meklort.com/?p=167 for 10.6.3 sleepenabler. I tried each one but no luck... both had a kernel panic.

Guess I'll wait a little bit.

Updated went fine but, no sleep and no audio here, havent tried audio fix above...

SleepEnabler KPs on boot. Kernel Mismatch.

Going to try sleepenabler from here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...4015&st=40# post 57

EDIT: NOPE Didnt work either! Guess Ill wait for black... for now its the backup install 10.6.2.

Hello community,

I had a question about replacing my current active drive with a new SSD.

My current system:

Drive 0 (320 GB HDD)

- Chameleon partition (boot)

- OSX partition

Drive 1 (320 GB HDD)

- Win7 partition

I have all my hardware working 100% with 10.6.3 as of today (EP45-DS3L mobo), and I'll be receiving a 30 GB SSD this week which I want to use as my main partition. Since Steam (specifically Counter-Strike Source) is coming to Mac in April, I'll eventually have no reason for my Windows 7 partition. Ideally, this is how I want to map my system:

Drive 0 (30 GB SSD)

- Chameleon partition (boot)

- OSX partition (with the operating system and most frequently used apps)

Drive 1 (320 GB HDD) and Drive 2 (320 GB HDD) will be HFS+ formatted and software mirrored to hold my *other* applications and miscellaneous files. Maybe you guys have a better solution for mirroring the two drives (the EP45-DS3L doesn't have a RAID chipset).

What's the least tedious way to copy the Chameleon partition and OSX from my current drive (320 GB HDD) to the SSD so that the computer boots off the SSD? I know I'll have to leave some apps behind since the entire drive won't fit on the little 30 GB SSD, but I have no problem reinstalling apps... it's just the OS files and Chameleon boot partition I want copied.

Any help will be most appreciated! :D

Did you try this one? I think i maybe having issues with my thumbdrive...

oldnapalm "

ALC888 no longer works with LegacyHDA after update, you have to edit AppleHDA binary and replace 8508EC10 by 8808EC10. Here is the modified kext http://www.mediafire.com/?kjxxm4whdzu

About SleepEnabler, remove it and install 10.6.3 version http://www.mediafire.com/?jzjz0izwm23"

Do they work with P35-DS3L?

Did you try this one?

ALC888 no longer works with LegacyHDA after update, you have to edit AppleHDA binary and replace 8508EC10 by 8808EC10. Here is the modified kext http://www.mediafire.com/?kjxxm4whdzu

About SleepEnabler, remove it and install 10.6.3 version http://www.mediafire.com/?jzjz0izwm23

I think i maybe having issues with my thumbdrive...

Did you try this one? I think i maybe having issues with my thumbdrive...

oldnapalm "

About SleepEnabler, remove it and install 10.6.3 version http://www.mediafire.com/?jzjz0izwm23"

I tried all the SleepEnablers posted here and no luck!

Perfect upgrade here, but removed Sleepenabler first. I can live without it until a good working solution comes along. Of course I am on a slightly different motherboard (GA-EP45C-UD3R), so my sound still works too. Haven't tried too upgrade my GA-EP45-UD3Rs yet since they have ALC888 sound.

Glad I got this board too, there IS a difference with DDR3 RAM and speed. My geekbench scores are even higher than before, but fear that's almost the end of the line.

Those P55 boards are looking mighty fine lately...!

Didn't work for me either... must be the same file from http://www.meklort.com/?p=167

Update from above when I removed Sleepenabler, this one I used! You guys are going to hate me but it worked for me.

Well done everybody for going ahead with the update and thanks for posting your issues with the audio and SleepEnabler.kext. Sorry I couldn't be around to assist all night but I have been away and I still haven't been back to my hack since the update so I haven't had a chance to play with the final build of 10.6.3. So what's the verdict? is everybody happy with how it's gone?

EDIT: Thanks again everyone for your contributions here, I have put together an overall picture of the 10.6.3 update and posted to below.

And I suggest to everyone who's using the Bonjour kext fix method to move the Realtek1000SL.Kext out to a different folder, then delete the IONetworkingFamily.kext, update to 10.6.3 then re-copy the IONetworkingFamily.kext from S/L/E then change the info.plist again instead of using 10.6.2 just incase it could have been updated.

Good thinking here LOLmoe, thanks :)

I personally use the ifconfig method for bonjour so I had forgotten about this. I will update the front page post to include this too.

Couldn't you do the equivalent of the AppleHDA binary mod in your DSDT to trick the binary into thinking you have 889 or something?

I like this idea banini_jeque and think it would be great if it can be done... I guess we'll have to wait for the clever coders to see what they can engineer here?

EDIT:

10.6.3 Update

Just to recap on the 10.6.3 update and do some housekeeping to bring everything about it here. I had written this in the news section on the front page of this thread but as that changes regularly, putting it here will to keep everything in one post which I can refer to later.

Yesterday, Apple released the 10.6.3 update to OS X and you can get it from Software Update. Netkas, as always, is on the ball with the update and I recommend you read his post first. As with any point update from Apple, be sensible and apply the update to your back up installation first, before applying to your main installation. That way you can check everything is working for your hardware.

But please read the following before continuing:

Issue: SleepEnabler.kext

If you have NullCPUPowerManagement.kext in your /Extra/Extensions folder, then you will probably be using SleepEnabler.kext too. SleepEnabler has a specific version depending on which version of OS X you are running, and you might remember having to change it when upgrading to 10.6.2. Well the same is true for 10.6.3, so you will need to remove SleepEnabler.kext from /Extra/Extensions while doing the update and until you have rebooted in to 10.6.3. Then you can add a new version of SleepEnabler for 10.6.3 back in to /Extra/Extensions. You can find a new version here. Please note this is untested by me as I don't run with NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and don't need SleepEnabler.kext.

Issue: Bonjour

If you had followed the method of installing RealtekR1000SL.kext in to /Extra/Extensions as shown in part 4 PDF then it's wise to remove the IONetworkingFamily.kext from /Extra/Extensions before the update, just in case the one in 10.6.3 has changed. Then after the update and rebooting back in to 10.6.3, re-copy the IONetworkingFamily.kext from the 10.6.3 system in to /Extra/Extensions. You will also need to edit the kext's OSBundleRequired key/string. Instructions for this are on page 6 of 'Part 4 - Configure for GA-EP45-DS3L' PDF. Please note this is untested by me as I am using the ifconfig method for enabling Bonjour.

Issue: ATI video cards

You'll probably know by now that I don't really know that much about using an ATI video card with a hack as I have only used my nVidia 8800GT. So again, check Netkas' page for more info for these, for example there is an issue with the radeon 4830/4850's and netkas has posted a 'QE CI Exotic cards 10.6.3.pkg'.

Issue: Audio

Remember the audio for our systems works with the combination of three things.

1) patched HDEF device in DSDT

2) LegacyHDA.kext in /Extra/Extensions

3) Apple's default AppleHDA.kext (which we used to not touch).

Apple have decided to no longer support ALC888 in 10.6.3. Therefore your audio will no longer work using the default AppleHDA.kext in /System/Library/Extensions so we now have to do something to it to make our audio function (as the other two parts, DSDT and LegacyHDA.kext are fine).

You have two options:

1) Keep a backup of AppleHDA.kext from 10.6.2 and replace the AppleHDA.kext from 10.6.3 with the older one.

2) Patch the AppleHDA binary (which is inside the AppleHDA.kext) with a hex editor like hexedit. You will need to search for four occurences of 85 08 EC 10 and replace with 88 08 EC 10 (Thanks to tmongkol & thiagomorales for sharing details which started being reported back in January).

To make it easier, here's a link to a patched AppleHDA.kext for 10.6.3 that I have done myself: patched AppleHDA.kext

EDIT: The previous one was incorrectly patched (well spotted thebeast) patched AppleHDA.kext.

To add the replacement AppleHDA.kext to /System/Library/Extensions:

Using the Finder, copy the original 10.6.3 AppleHDA.kext from /System/Library/Extensions by dragging it somewhere safe. Then delete that 10.6.3 AppleHDA.kext from /System/Library/Extensions by dragging it to the bin (you'll need to authenticate with your password).

Then put the new patched AppleHDA.kext on your desktop, load up Terminal and do something like this:

cd ~/Desktop

sudo -s

cp -R AppleHDA.kext /System/Library/Extensions

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext

EDIT: This next step has been added to help the process (Note: It's all one line).

sudo kextcache -v 1 -t -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

exit

If you want, you can then load Disk Utility and repair permissions just to make sure everything is set right.

Then reboot, and the system will update the caches.

EDIT: I have updated the Support Files to include the patched AppleHDA.kext and SleepEnabler for 10.6.3., and I have updated the 'Part 8 - Apple Updates' PDF to hopefully contain the relevant info for updating. Again, please let me know of any issues etc.