[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

titan4,

Do you simply unplug the OS X drive when installing Win7? So to leave Cham intact throughout the whole process?

Thanks

No, but I setted Windows drive as first boot drive in BIOS.

I have Drive 1 with Chameleon on Partition 1 and Snow Kitty on Partition 2

and Drive 2 with Windows 7 on 1 partition. (And well Drive 3 for Time Machine but that one is irrelevant)

If you set Drive 2 as first in HDD Boot Order Drive 1 will stay intact by Windows Installation process. After that you can set Drive 1 back as first and you can boot to Win7 or OS X from Chameleon.

ive done it.

its nesessery to delete graphicenabler complete form com.apple.boot.pl and add the device propertyies form efi strings :wacko:)

when u turn graphics enabler = no it won't work...

bye

Thanks for mentioning it. I have replied to your post on Voodooprojects' forum.

Hey BlackOSX

success with a GA-EP45-UD3L over here!

I simply do not have words to thank you for your work on this topic and on the guides. Best howto I ever saw in InsanelyMac. Jaw-Dropping quality. How lucky am I to have (nearly) the same motherboard as you :wacko:

So, I managed to have a perfectly working system following your guide to the letter. By perfect working system I mean really all is OK over here: Shutdown, Restart, Suspend/Wake (even by moving a wireless USB mouse), Quartz, Sound, Network. I only am not sure about SpeedStepping (see question below).

Here are my specs:

- GA-EP45-UD3L

- Core2Duo E8400 3.0Ghz

- ASUS NVidia EN8400GS 512Mb

- and to top it all, some nice Noctua silent coolers and fanless CPU Heatsink for a nicely silent Mac :)

From the choices given in your guide I chose:

- USB install

- I used all your files, including DSDT.aml provided in the Support Files section of your guide.

- 3 partitions on a single 1Tb GUID disk (Cham, Mac and MacBackup)

- I applied both the Realtek Bonjour and Mouse lag fixes

- Updated to 10.6.2 replacing the LegacyHDA and SleepEnabler kexts.

All is working perfectly, except for a small glitch: when I boot up the system, Chameleon comes nicely and loads OS X. When OS X is loaded, I get a mouse cursor and a black screen. If I just put the system to sleep and awake, then I get the screen OK. Strange. Anybody seen this before? I have GraphicsEnabler=Yes in my com.apple.boot.plist.

About SpeedStepping & Temperature: as I use a silent PC setup, temperature is a concern for me. How do I know if SpeedStepping is working properly (sorry for newbieness, but I never cared about SpeedSteeping in my previous Hackintosh builds). I heard about a VoodooMonitor app. How does that tell if SpeedStepping is working properly?

I will probably tackle your DSDT Guide, but only if I really need it, as for the moment, all is working so well, that maybe I even do not need to mess with DSDT's.

Again, huge thank you for this guide and the rest of your work.

Cheers!

Hi rbonon

Thanks for the comments and well done with your install.

The DSDT used here has been confirmed as having the same requirements for the EP45-UD3L so there's no need for you to do anything with it apart from reading this post in my DSDT thread for instructions on speedstepping (if you want to of course).

And for reference only, I posted the most recent DSDT I was using a month ago, including my CPU stepping data, here.

note: you might find the CPU data in a different location in that one, to the one in the stepping guide I linked too.

Regards :wacko:

Hi rbonon

Thanks for the comments and well done with your install.

The DSDT used here has been confirmed as having the same requirements for the EP45-UD3L so there's no need for you to do anything with it apart from reading this post in my DSDT thread for instructions on speedstepping (if you want to of course).

And for reference only, I posted the most recent DSDT I was using a month ago, including my CPU stepping data, here.

note: you might find the CPU data in a different location in that one, to the one in the stepping guide I linked too.

Regards ;)

Thanks blackosx,

I will followup the links about SpeedStepping. Have you ever seen or read about this video glitch I am facing (black screen when OS X loads, that goes away if I sleep/awake the machine)?

Regards.

No, but I setted Windows drive as first boot drive in BIOS.

I have Drive 1 with Chameleon on Partition 1 and Snow Kitty on Partition 2

and Drive 2 with Windows 7 on 1 partition. (And well Drive 3 for Time Machine but that one is irrelevant)

If you set Drive 2 as first in HDD Boot Order Drive 1 will stay intact by Windows Installation process. After that you can set Drive 1 back as first and you can boot to Win7 or OS X from Chameleon.

Ah, thanks for the insight! Will come in handy, going in and unplugging a drive always was more troublesome =P.

rbonon,

Can it be a gfx initialization issue? Are you using DVI-DVI cable? Have you checked to see it does the same thing on your video card's second DVI port?

Ah, thanks for the insight! Will come in handy, going in and unplugging a drive always was more troublesome =P.

rbonon,

Can it be a gfx initialization issue? Are you using DVI-DVI cable? Have you checked to see it does the same thing on your video card's second DVI port?

EnzoFX, I am using the VGA port as my LCD monitor is a old one with VGA only.

rbonnon, I have a similar issue on another machine. It is caused by using a DVI-HDMI Cable, that is it's connected to a monitor that only has HDMI input, aside from VGA. However, simply turning the monitor off and on re-initialized the display. Instead of having to sleep/wake it. Maybe you can try the other port via a DVI-VGA adapter? You could also try enabling graphics by other means, via EFI Sring, DSDT or Chameleon.

Ok, I need a little help. Has anyone setup a software RAID on this motherboard? I have twin raptors and know the BIOS must remain in AHCI mode and that basically you are setting up the hidden first partition of each with boot file. A handy guide maybe?

blackosx, I have finally managed to have a dual boot system (SL & Win 7) thanks to your very thorough guide. One question though, I now want to implement Speedstep in SL so will that have any affect on Windows 7 installation if I configure the BIOS?

Hello all,

I am having a dual boot issue: I have SL and W7 on the same drive, different partitions. I had a problem with my W7 installation, so whiped it out, and reinstalled it. Now I get "BOOTMGR is missing" when I try to boot into W7; so annoying! My Cham and SL are fine though.

I tried reapplying Dr Hurts cham, but did not fix the W7 problem.

Any help?

THANKS!

@CyCLoBoT - Well done with your dual boot.

For stepping, you will want to leave the EIST option in BIOS enabled. As I currently have this dual boot setup on the same HDD and this way I have stepping in OS X and Windows7.

@Mammoth - Did you follow the steps in 'Part 9 - Dual Boot Windows7' PDF and disconnect all other drives? as I have found in the past that when installing Windows7 to a secondary partition, it will attempt to write the BOOTMGR files elsewhere, resulting in the error you are seeing.

blackosx, I tried to implement the Speedstep but I can't get it to work. The DSDT file compiled just fine but when I look in the IORegistryExplorer, I don't see the CSTInfo and the PerfomanceStateArray doesn't look quite right. Also, I don't have the C2/C2E State Support and C4/C4E State Support showing up in BIOS.

I have attached my DSDT file so if its not too much trouble, could you please take a look at it?

dsdt.dsl.txt

Hey guys-very new to this stuff-got a vanilla install going way back when with 10.5.2 and then broke it by doing system update. Doh!

Anyway, my computer has been down for months and it's the hub of my home studio. All my audio gear was recognized natively with the previous vanilla install.

Can't find my retail disk, so decided to try the Vanilla Snow install outlined here.

Got 10.5.7 loaded onto one of my two 1TB drives, but no audio or wireless. Doesn't recognize my audio PCi card.

Followed BlackOSX's guide here(and have just gone through the process again with updated files(all dated 2/10).

Snow throws a KP immediately. Verbose logging shows the, "CPU 1 has no HPET assigned to it" BIOS settings are as noted in the guide. I am running the GA-EP45-DS3L board. I have no idea how to deal with a DSDT file and am not sure what that's all about. Makes my head hurt reading about it. ;-)

Same panic in single user boot mode.

ANY help would be much appreciated. Been staring at this sexy box that doesn't do anything for months and would really like to use it again before it's outdated! ;-)

Cheers! John

blackosx, I tried to implement the Speedstep but I can't get it to work.

Hi CyCLoBoT

Can you create a signature so I know what hardware you have? As for speedstep I need to know what motherboard (IIRC you have the EP45-DS3L) and CPU you are using.

Hi John

Can't find my retail disk, so decided to try the Vanilla Snow install outlined here.

Got 10.5.7 loaded onto one of my two 1TB drives, but no audio or wireless. Doesn't recognize my audio PCi card.

As Johnny V has asked, are you trying to install 10.5?

Followed BlackOSX's guide here(and have just gone through the process again with updated files(all dated 2/10).

Snow throws a KP immediately.

Or have you got a retail Snow Leopard DVD?

If so, everything you need is in the PDF's and the Support Files.

Verbose logging shows the, "CPU 1 has no HPET assigned to it"

If you add the DSDT from the Support Files to Chameleon's /Extra folder, then HPET will be patched. Have a look at the PDF's and hopefully your head won't hurt ;)

Sorry I don't know how to add a signature here but here are my specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte EP45-DS3L F11c BIOS

CPU: Intel Quad Core Q6600 2.4GHz

RAM: 4GB DDR2 RAM

Hope this information is sufficient enough. I have installed SL following each and every word in your guide. Have not done anything different.

Okay.

For making a signature, providing you are using the InsanelyLucid theme for this forum, click on 'My Controls' which is the cog icon above your login name in the blue bar at the top. Then in the next page, on the left side, under 'Personal Profile', click on 'Edit Signature'.

And for your DSDT, it looks like you've had a good go at it. Are you sure you have the right FID/VID values in your PSS object? as 0x091E, 0x081E, 0x071E and 0x061E look a bit man made? (if you know what I mean). I have posted my latest DSDT here which includes my PSS and CST objects which you can use for reference. Read the next few posts from there to give you more info and see if that helps.

I did realize that the values did look weird comparing to what others have been getting on the forum including you. But I'm not sure why that's happening. I installed the VoodooPState.kext in the S/L/E folder and when I run the PStateChanger app, I get the following values in the PState tab:

post-94164-1267967091_thumb.png

Are there any other settings I have to modify in BIOS to get me the actual values? As I mentioned in my previous post, I don't have the C2/C2E State Support and C4/C4E State Support showing up in BIOS as well.

Ok, I need a little help. Has anyone setup a software RAID on this motherboard? [...] A handy guide maybe?

Here you are! I assume that the RAID device has already been created by the diskutil GUI. Afterwards do the following in a terminal session:

At first, become root:

sudo sh

Find out diskX from which the BIOS actually boots:

diskutil list

Install MBR code:

./fdisk440 -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdiskX

Install further boot stages:

dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXs3
diskutil mount diskXs3
cp boot /Volumes/Boot\ OSX/

Copy the usual needed stuff to

/Volumes/Boot\ OSX/Extra
/Volumes/Boot\ OSX/Extra/Extensions

OS X creates a virtual RAID disk Y. Find out its number via…

diskutil list

… and grep its volume UUID:

diskutil info diskY | grep "Volume UUID"

Now instruct the bootloader to boot exactly that volume:

nano /Volumes/Boot\ OSX/Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist

Add to Kernel Flags:

rd=uuid boot-uuid=[UUID from above]

Save with CTRL+X, Y and return.

Now unmount the raid helper partition:

diskutil unmount diskXs3

Done!

I don't use the onboard NIC because of speed issues. Instead, there's a PCI-E Intel Pro/1000 installed. It is running nearly out of the box; the only thing to be changed was PID:VID in /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/Intel82574L.kext/Contents/Info.plist.

I'd like to keep my OS X partition as vanilla as possible - because of that I want to move that modification to the Cham partition. However, I'm not familiar with those nested kexts. What exactly do I have to copy to /Volumes/Cham/Extra/Extensions? Only Intel82574L.kext or the whole IONetworkingFamily.kext? What about the ones at /S/L/E - do I have to delete them afterwards or do the ones at /Volumes/Cham/E/E supersede them automatically?

@landmark - Good question and to be honest I don't know the answer to extracting the Intel82574L.kext from IONetworkingFamily.kext. For this install, like you want, I have kept the retail installation completely untouched. So you could try extracting the Intel82574L.kext and putting it in to /E/E and see if it works, but it would be simpler to just copy the revised IONetworkingFamily.kext to /E/E and see if it loads instead of the one in /S/L/E. If the modified one doesn't load then you can try changing the CFBundleVersion key/string in the info.plist of IONetworkingFamily.kext as I think OS X will choose to load a newer version kext over an older one. You could also try trashing your /System/Library/Caches folder.

blackosx,

I owe you some observation results:

It's actually perfectly sufficient to only copy the Intel82574L.kext to /E/E/, modify its Info.plist to ones needs and to boot with '-f -v' once afterwards. Neither IONetworkingFamily.kext nor the comprised Intel82574L.kext on the OS X volume have to be changed.

This, however, applies to Snow Leopard. On Snow Leopard Server, I do experience a weird issue: The NIC gets recognized only with the boot parameters '-f -v' on every boot. To be honest, I haven't got the faintest idea why this happens. I also tried to delete /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext with no effect at all.

EDIT: I was wrong. Both Snow Leopard and SL Server recognise the kext in /E/E/ only when booted with -f -v. Deleting or renaming /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext does resolve the issue. But that's not exactly the plain vanilla approach. I'll check out the CFBundleVersion suggestion.

blackosx, I am having an issue with my wireless network card (Asus WL-138g v2). Initially when I installed Snow Leopard following your guide, SL picked up the card just fine without any additional kexts and was showing up as Airport and I was able to connect to the internet just fine. But now the card can no longer connect to the Internet. It sees my wireless connection but can't connect to it anymore. The card is picking up an IP address from the router and I can see all other information such as the Gateway, Subnet, etc. but I can't open any websites. My question is, would I have to modify anything in the DSDT file since yours was using the built in ethernet port on the motherboard rather than a PCI card?

Thanks for the replies guys-head still hurts. Installing 10.6 from retail disc. 10.5.7 is on the second drive.

Checked the extras and the DSDT file is in in there. Still getting HPET kernel panic. I'll run through the guide again to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Maybe the 6th time is the charm! ;-)