[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

I had a question about replacing my current active drive with a new SSD.

..../snip/....

What's the least tedious way to copy the Chameleon partition and OSX from my current drive (320 GB HDD) to the SSD so that the computer boots off the SSD? I know I'll have to leave some apps behind since the entire drive won't fit on the little 30 GB SSD, but I have no problem reinstalling apps... it's just the OS files and Chameleon boot partition I want copied.

Hi RKmd

As I don't know a way to selectively backup your current install, I think it will be quicker to just do a re-install of Snow Leopard from the retail DVD, then applying the 10.6.3 combo update.

EDIT: I have never used it but you could try looking at the Migration Assistant utility from /Applications/Utilities to see if that gives you are help?

No Luck with any of the Sleepenabler.kexts posted on this thread. KPanics ( gray curtain comes down! ) after Cham boot screen. Not sure what the problem is. Anyone have an idea?

I reinstalled NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and that doesn't KPanic... so the initial KPs were probably from Sleepenabler and not NullCPUPowerManagement.kext. The CPU temps dropped about 5 degrees.

I'm still using 10.6.3.

Hi Johnny V, lets try and sort your kernel panic. :P

So I guess you were using SleepEnabler just fine with 10.6.2? and you can boot 10.6.3 just fine without SleepEnabler, but as soon as you add it, your machine KP's at boot?

Booting in verbose mode, can you read references to something like triaxis, and kernel mismatch? (or something similar)? can you post a screenshot?

Well... SleepEnabler seems to be working now! I think SleepEnabler needed NullCPUPowerManagement.kext back in Cham/Extra/Extensions for all to work correctly.

When the update first came out it was recommended on this thread to remove NullCPUPowerManagement.kext before updating.. which I did.

But on netkas' blog http://netkas.org/?p=382 he recommend to enable your own personal flavor of CPUpowerblocker which is totally opposite of what was recommend here. Guess I should have listen to netkas instead.

Only reason I reinstalled NullCPUPowerManagement.kext was to get the CPU temps down and to see if it crashed 10.6.3. Kinda dumb luck that it worked out... but I'll take it.

Thanks blackosx for your suggestion about running in verbose mode as I totally forgot about the basics!

I did run in verbose mode. It stalled for about 10 seconds below and I thought I found the culprit but it kept on booting up to my surprise.

screenshotpmx.png

If all is working I guess it does't matter what the screen says?

Thanks!

John

The answer to this is probably really obvious, but I still can't work it out. I've patched my AppleHDA.kext, repaired permissions and rebooted with -f, but the kext still won't automatically load on start up. If I manually enable it with sudo kextload AppleHDA.kext it will work, but be gone again on next boot...

Well... SleepEnabler seems to be working now! I think SleepEnabler needed NullCPUPowerManagement.kext back in Cham/Extra/Extensions for all to work correctly.

When the update first came out it was recommended on this thread to remove NullCPUPowerManagement.kext before updating.. which I did.

But on netkas' blog http://netkas.org/?p=382 he recommend to enable your own personal flavor of CPUpowerblocker which is totally opposite of what was recommend here. Guess I should have listen to netkas instead.

Hi Johnny V

Sorry not to get back to you last night but I am still away from home and doing this when I get the chance. I still haven't been back to my hack since running the 10.6.3 update, so had no time to play...

Good news to hear you have your SleepEnabler issue sorted.

As for the advice you received about removing NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, well... to be honest I have never tried using SleepEnabler.kext without NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, so I didn't know it would cause a KP either. So thanks for the note ;) However, I have always stated in this thread and in my PDF's that SleepEnabler.kext works with, and is only needed, when using NullCPUPowerManagement.kext. Though ultimately, as with anything with our hackintosh systems, it's always up you to double check any advice before doing it.

Anyway, thanks for your help in this thread and I hope you continue to kindly donate your time to supporting others here when you can.

The answer to this is probably really obvious, but I still can't work it out. I've patched my AppleHDA.kext, repaired permissions and rebooted with -f, but the kext still won't automatically load on start up. If I manually enable it with sudo kextload AppleHDA.kext it will work, but be gone again on next boot...

Hi aethereal - Have you double checked the ownership/permissions of the patched AppleHDA.kext?

Here's a little helper for anyone struggling with using the patched AppleHDA.kext:

EDIT: I have now added this next bit to the main 10.6.3 update post to keep everything together.

Using the Finder, copy the original 10.6.3 AppleHDA.kext from /System/Library/Extensions by dragging it somewhere safe. Then delete that 10.6.3 AppleHDA.kext from /System/Library/Extensions by dragging it to the bin (you'll need to authenticate with your password).

Then put the new patched AppleHDA.kext on your desktop, load up Terminal and do something like this:

cd ~/Desktop

sudo -s

cp -R AppleHDA.kext /System/Library/Extensions

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext

exit

If you want, you can then load Disk Utility and repair permissions just to make sure everything is set right.

Then reboot, and the system will update the caches.

OK, first off, thank you for you time and effort into this guide ... My board is slightly different, but I was able to understand it better than any other out there and get a solid 10.5.8 and starter 10.6.3.

Since it was asked earlier how our .3 updates went, I'll mention that mine SEEMED to go swimmingly. One issue that seems to have popped up is that I can no longer load my vmware xp sp3 or Windows 7 virtual machines. I'm using Fusion 3 and when I launch the vms I get a KP that I think has something to do with the graphics.

Has anyone else encountered this? I'm interested in some input.

Hi Manyk

Thanks for your report. I too use VMWare Fusion v3 with a Vista virtual machine but have yet to try running it under 10.6.3. When I return home I will try running it to see if the same happens for me.

Apple have decided to no longer support ALC888 in 10.6.3. Therefore your audio will no longer work using the default AppleHDA.kext in /System/Library/Extensions so we now have to do something to it to make our audio function (as the other two parts, DSDT and LegacyHDA.kext are fine).

You have two options:

1) Keep a backup of AppleHDA.kext from 10.6.2 and replace the AppleHDA.kext from 10.6.3 with the older one.

2) Patch the AppleHDA binary (which is inside the AppleHDA.kext) with a hex editor like hexedit. You will need to search for four occurences of 85 08 EC 10 and replace with 88 08 EC 10 (Thanks to tmongkol & thiagomorales for sharing). Or if it's easier, here's a link to one I have done myself which you can use - patched AppleHDA.kext.

I tried this patched kernel (and also the one included in your support files zip - they appear to be the same), and my sound still didn't work. I had a quick look inside the AppleHDA file within the kext using a hex editor, and noticed that there is still one occurrence of 85 08 EC 10, along with three occurrences of 88 08 EC 10. I changed the 85 08 EC 10 to 88 08 EC 10, fixed permissions, then copied the kext to my /System/Library/Extensions folder. OS X immediately picked up the new kext, as I noticed an increase in CPU activity, and after about 30 seconds, my sound started working again (evidenced by the volume control in the menu bar changing from grey to black).

I thought this might help some others who may have experienced a similar problem.

Thanks for all the good work, and keep it up ^_^

I just checked VMWare Fusion (running XP SP3) and it works fine for me. I'm running v2.0.5, haven't got round to updating VMWare yet. My graphics card is a 7300GT DDR3, and I'm running 32-bit mode.

Hi thebeast

Thanks for spotting the error in the patched AppleHDA.kext. That'll teach me to do this supporting away from my hack. Apologies to everyone for my mistake.

I have amended the AppleHDA.kext, replaced it in the Support Files and have uploaded Support Files v1.3.1.

EDIT: I have now also updated the link to the revised patched AppleHDA.kext in the main update post in post #2649.

Can someone please test the revised AppleHDA.kext and let me know if that one is good?

And thanks for your note about VMWare Fusion working for you. Though I have noted you are running v2.05.

:)

Thanks for the working VMWare confirmation CyCLoBoT.

Is there any reason I couldn't use a PPC Mac running Leopard to build the USB image as described in step 1B?

No, I don't think so Zykr. I have tested using fdisk440 on an HDD from my hack using my G5 and that worked fine, so go ahead. Just make sure you don't accidentally write the Chameleon files to the Apple HDD.

Hi Johnny V

Anyway, thanks for your help in this thread and I hope you continue to kindly donate your time to supporting others here when you can.

You are welcome and of course I'll still be here supporting others. Did you think otherwise?

Thanks for your help and excellent install guide... it's the best around! I appreciate it.

Best,

John

Long time lurker. hopefully this helps someone out. Thank you to everyone for the tremendous work.

GA-ep45-ds3l

Chameleon RC4

Cartri Bios (no dsdt at all, woohoo!)

Graphics enabler on boot file. Geforce 8600 GTS.

Fresh new install 10.6, and combo updated to 10.6.3.

Sound went out, copied AppleHDA found on this board into S/L/E (backed up new AppleHDA from 10.6.3 first). Repaired permissions and sound is good again.

**** My ATA HD drive no longer shown (yes, i still have one of those). Fortunately i had recently stumbled upon tonymacx86's blog and found a very newly released kext - JMicron36xATA.kext that restored my ATA drives. I placed in Extra/Extensions and all good to go. [http: // tonymacx86. blogspot. com/]

Bonjour wasnt working either. Copied RealtekR1000SL.kext into S/L/E and airport express is now detected in itunes (remote speakers).

My xbench score went from 211 up to 265.

thanks again everyone!

anybody knows why x32 works just fine and x64 gives me random panics? Tried to track it down, disabled IDE, repaired permissions but no luck there...besides that, with any tutorial/kext in this thread, I can't get sound to work :/

Gotta try that cartri bios. Strange, 10.6.2 worked perfectly with sound and x64 :<

edit» issue seemed to be related to IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext in /Extra...anyone else encountered this? or has another solution? The 4kb dsdt.aml in the support files give me a kernel panic...my old one (20kb) workes fine :(

You are welcome and of course I'll still be here supporting others. Did you think otherwise?

Hi John

Yeah, after reading your post I interpreted it as you were unhappy. But now I know otherwise (silly me) so thanks for coming back ;)

I have the latest VMWare 3.0.2 and it works fine under 10.6.3.

And I'm using the patched AppleHDA. Thanks everyone!

Thanks for reporting back on the VMWare case LOLmoe.

Did you use the patched AppleHDA.kext from the Support Files that was discussed in post #2665 ?

Fresh new install 10.6, and combo updated to 10.6.3.

Sound went out, copied AppleHDA found on this board into S/L/E (backed up new AppleHDA from 10.6.3 first). Repaired permissions and sound is good again.

**** My ATA HD drive no longer shown (yes, i still have one of those). Fortunately i had recently stumbled upon tonymacx86's blog and found a very newly released kext - JMicron36xATA.kext that restored my ATA drives. I placed in Extra/Extensions and all good to go. [http: // tonymacx86. blogspot. com/]

My xbench score went from 211 up to 265.

Hi BIGHERNAN

Thanks for your report.

Can I put the same question to you as to LOLmoe which is did you use the patched AppleHDA.kext as discussed in post #2665?

And thanks for the report on the JMicron36xATA.kext. I saw the post the other day but not having and ATA drive I just passed over it, but as you said, it might well prove useful for others.

I haven't used xbench in a while as I thought it was fairly old so I've since been using Geekbench to get some benchmark results. I haven't run it yet on my 10.6.3 system, but I will also do that when I return to see what differences I find.

anybody knows why x32 works just fine and x64 gives me random panics? Tried to track it down, disabled IDE, repaired permissions but no luck there...besides that, with any tutorial/kext in this thread, I can't get sound to work :/

Gotta try that cartri bios. Strange, 10.6.2 worked perfectly with sound and x64 :<

edit» issue seemed to be related to IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext in /Extra...anyone else encountered this? or has another solution? The 4kb dsdt.aml in the support files give me a kernel panic...my old one (20kb) workes fine :)

Hi fragreaver, it's been a while since we last spoke :)

Unfortunately, you are the first person to post about random panics when running the kernel in 64-bit mode. Is anybody else experiencing this? You may or may not have read in some of my above posts, but I am away from my hack so I can't do any testing at the moment to help directly with any issues.

The AppleHDA.kext I have in v1.3.1 of the Support Files (same as the one link to here) and mentioned in post #2665 has unfortunately not been tested by me and that's why I have just asked LOLmoe and BIGHERNAN to confirm they've used it or not. So I need to know for definite it that file works to be able to guide you on that... (sorry).

So you are still using IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext?, I know I haven't seen you around for a while, but I stopped using that a while back. Try removing that from /Extra/Extensions to see it that makes a difference for you?

And the DSDT.aml in the Support Files works just great with the GA-EP45-DS3L. Can I ask what version of BIOS you are currently using? as that was based on F11C.

Yup, been a while :) haven't had any trouble with my hackintosh yet :D

The Panics are gone now, it was related to that kext :) Actually, it doesn't really bother me. As for the dsdt and bios; I'm pretty sure I'm running 11c, but i'll take a look. brb :)

Okay. Even though I no longer use it, it's still good to know that IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector was giving you the KP's. But you've got me thinking about why the DSDT.aml won't work for you... I can't think right now of anything in particular....hmmmm

But it's getting late here am I must go to bed shortly, so if there's anything I can for you in the next 5 mins then let me know :)

(it's funny, but I have just looked at adding a smiley, and using Chrome in Windows7 as I am now, I see loads more available than I have ever noticed when using Safari on my hack).