[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

Hi blackosx, the applehda kext i used was from 10.6.2 and now im not sure if i got it on this board or elsewhere, but in case anyone needs it, here it is in my public dropbox folder. Ill leave it there temporarily since it shouldnt be too dificult to attain elsewhere. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/626190/AppleHDA.kext10.6.2.zip ..... oh one other thing, you can add me to the VMWARE fusion 3.0.2 is working fine as well (windows XP SP3 and Windows 7).

Hi John

Yeah, after reading your post I interpreted it as you were unhappy. But now I know otherwise (silly me) so thanks for coming back :)

Thanks for reporting back on the VMWare case LOLmoe.

Did you use the patched AppleHDA.kext from the Support Files that was discussed in post #2665 ?

Hi BIGHERNAN

Thanks for your report.

Can I put the same question to you as to LOLmoe which is did you use the patched AppleHDA.kext as discussed in post #2665?

And thanks for the report on the JMicron36xATA.kext. I saw the post the other day but not having and ATA drive I just passed over it, but as you said, it might well prove useful for others.

I haven't used xbench in a while as I thought it was fairly old so I've since been using Geekbench to get some benchmark results. I haven't run it yet on my 10.6.3 system, but I will also do that when I return to see what differences I find.

Hi fragreaver, it's been a while since we last spoke :)

Unfortunately, you are the first person to post about random panics when running the kernel in 64-bit mode. Is anybody else experiencing this? You may or may not have read in some of my above posts, but I am away from my hack so I can't do any testing at the moment to help directly with any issues.

The AppleHDA.kext I have in v1.3.1 of the Support Files (same as the one link to here) and mentioned in post #2665 has unfortunately not been tested by me and that's why I have just asked LOLmoe and BIGHERNAN to confirm they've used it or not. So I need to know for definite it that file works to be able to guide you on that... (sorry).

So you are still using IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext?, I know I haven't seen you around for a while, but I stopped using that a while back. Try removing that from /Extra/Extensions to see it that makes a difference for you?

And the DSDT.aml in the Support Files works just great with the GA-EP45-DS3L. Can I ask what version of BIOS you are currently using? as that was based on F11C.

Okay. Even though I no longer use it, it's still good to know that IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector was giving you the KP's. But you've got me thinking about why the DSDT.aml won't work for you... I can't think right now of anything in particular....hmmmm

But it's getting late here am I must go to bed shortly, so if there's anything I can for you in the next 5 mins then let me know :)

(it's funny, but I have just looked at adding a smiley, and using Chrome in Windows7 as I am now, I see loads more available than I have ever noticed when using Safari on my hack).

Okay, i got 11b. Flashed to 11c and using your dsdt gave me sound (finally! :)). But I noticed, that with the old dsdt my IDE drives worked aaaaaaaaaaand (damdada) even sleep (which never worked. not even in tiger). With the new bios, neither of them works :/ I really should try cartri, but I'm kinda afraid to mess things up ("reboot about 3 times to get dmi updated, or your mainboard will get broken") :s

Hi aethereal - Have you double checked the ownership/permissions of the patched AppleHDA.kext?

Hi blackosx,

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post. I found the problem with the kext; I was using your previous incorrectly patched one. When I installed the new version you posted and followed the chmod+chown process it all started working fine.

Thanks again, you're a legend!

Hi fragreaver,

If by "IDE" drives not working you are referring to your the ATA drives, then try the kext i posted up above a couple posts prior to this one (the one i got from tonymacx86) . It fixed my issue, just drop it in extra/extensions folder and reboot. hope this helps.

Okay, i got 11b. Flashed to 11c and using your dsdt gave me sound (finally! :wub: ). But I noticed, that with the old dsdt my IDE drives worked aaaaaaaaaaand (damdada) even sleep (which never worked. not even in tiger). With the new bios, neither of them works :/ I really should try cartri, but I'm kinda afraid to mess things up ("reboot about 3 times to get dmi updated, or your mainboard will get broken") :s

Hi John

Yeah, after reading your post I interpreted it as you were unhappy. But now I know otherwise (silly me) so thanks for coming back :)

No Worries!

How can I be unhappy with this group of great hackintoshers! I need them more than they need me... that's for sure! :angel:

Hey blackosx

Will over in the Cartri Bios thread posted that you can download a MAC driver for the 8111C so I thought I would mention it here for others to try. I haven't tried it myself because I bought a couple of TP-links that work oob (wish I'd have known there was a Realtek driver). Anyway here is a snippet and the link to the post.

"am using the GA-EP43-UD3L on two different computers both hackintoshes

networking works just fine as does Bonjour, I am sharing files and a printer

between them, I am using the driver over at"

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1439148

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post. I found the problem with the kext; I was using your previous incorrectly patched one. When I installed the new version you posted and followed the chmod+chown process it all started working fine.

Thanks for the confirmation of the revised patched AppleHDA.kext works aethereal :D

@BIGHERNAN - Thanks for coming back too. I see you have used the 10.6.2 version so I won't ask you to test the revised patched 10.6.3 one. And thanks again for your confirmation of VMWare working.

Manyk can you possibly re-check VMWare at your end? as there have been a few positive reports back since his report.

No Worries!

How can I be unhappy with this group of great hackintoshers! I need them more than they need me... that's for sure! ;)

Lol :)

Will over in the Cartri Bios thread posted that you can download a MAC driver for the 8111C so I thought I would mention it here for others to try.

Hi d'animal

Thanks for the reporting about that Realtek driver. However, I was under the impression that only worked when using the kernel in 32-bit mode, but not in 64-bit mode, so it turned out to be only half a solution. It was posted my Markus23 back in August last year. I wonder now if things have changed?

But I like the sound of those TP-link cards.. and they're dirt cheap. Thanks :)

Okay, i got 11b. Flashed to 11c and using your dsdt gave me sound (finally! :D). But I noticed, that with the old dsdt my IDE drives worked aaaaaaaaaaand (damdada) even sleep (which never worked. not even in tiger). With the new bios, neither of them works :/ I really should try cartri, but I'm kinda afraid to mess things up ("reboot about 3 times to get dmi updated, or your mainboard will get broken") :s

Hi fragreaver

The latest DSDT here has had the ATA/IDE code stripped out, so that might explain that and help rule out the BIOS. I did attempt to add that code back in and posted a revised DSDT for testing but nobody ever came back with confirmation of it working. (I'll see if I can find the link to where I posted it).

But did the ATA kext that BIGHERNAN posted help at all?

Okay, sleep works now (with sleepEnabler.kext) and I <3 it :P

The JMicron driver bighernan suggested gives me a kp. Thanks for it, though! :)

edit: ah blackosx :) yeah, that would be nice. I'd love not having to boot up windows7 for burning CDs XD

@blackosx Thanks for the guide this is the best one I've used and my machine has been very stable. 10.6.3 has given me some issues with sleeping and keeps on rebooting when waking however I need to check the BIOS setting before I look at the files.

The main question I have is how to protect or hide the Chameleon partition from the Finder/Desktop on a shared machine to avoid any tampering. In the past I've used the EFI partition but I can't get this to work with your files?

Any pointers or help would be great.

Hi 2bitpunk

Did wake from sleep work before you updated to 10.6.3? as this update shouldn't wake affected anything there. But for a pointer, we used to have our machines restarted when waking from sleep if the 'Restart after power failure' checkbox wasn't ticked in System Prefs/EnergySaver - So you check that?.. But Master Chief removed that requirement with a DSDT fix that is in the current DSDT used for this board (GA-EP45-DS3L).

As for hiding certain partitions, I only know of the fstab method. You can get a basic idea of it from NeilK's post in my old dual boot thread, then google for more info.

As for hiding certain partitions, I only know of the fstab method. You can get a basic idea of it from NeilK's post in my old dual boot thread, then google for more info.

Hi blackosx,

I read through the thread and tested the various solutions and decided the 'chflags' method from tlarkin is the most effective and works for all user accounts on a shared machine. For me this completes the Chameleon installation and provides a good balance between security and access to the Cham partition.

In the Terminal use the following commands to set the hidden flag and hide the item from GUI.

sudo -s

your password

chflags hidden /Volumes/Cham

exit

And to unhide the item:

sudo -s

your password

chflags nohidden /Volumes/Cham

exit

After using the 'chflags' command and 'hidden' or 'nohidden' flags you will need to restart you computer to see the changes take full effect (killall Finder won't hide your item it will just ghost the icon).

I'm still investigating my waking from sleep issue.

Blackosx» no luck with your modified dsdt. Neither dvd nor harddrives work :/ Can't tell anything about PS/2, as I'm using USB keyboard and mouse.

Anyway, I finally gotta switch to sata completely. My pioneer 111d has served me for over 4 years now. Time to put him to rest :)

blackosx

Thank you for the effort you put into to keeping this information up to date. I have been following your guides from the original leopard days and I can not thank you enough.

I scanned through the latest posts and noticed that people are having problems with the JMicron IDE which I currently use in 10.6.2 and it works perfectly. I also noticed you posted on Cartri's custom BIOS thread that his BIOS has been working well for you - I am thinking about switching to it and would like to know if you would recommend it. I want to make the switch to 10.6.3 but I am not sure if I will set myself back without IDE and/or 64 BIT (I don't have a backup system to test 10.6.3 first). As I said earlier, I am also thinking about switching to Cartri's custom BIOS and would like to know if you would recommend it given that I have a perfect system already without it.

Seems like my IDE drives and the 7300GS video card are always going to be a challenge going forward. I would like to know what video card you have so I can switch to it and get the most out of your guides.

Does anyone know if this would work with a GA-EP43-DS3 board? I think I read that it works with a EP43-DS3L board which seems to be similar but if anyone can confirm or deny then that'd be awesome.

Also, I can't boot into CD/DVDs when AHCI is turned on, is a work around for this?

Does anyone know if this would work with a GA-EP43-DS3 board? I think I read that it works with a EP43-DS3L board which seems to be similar but if anyone can confirm or deny then that'd be awesome.

Also, I can't boot into CD/DVDs when AHCI is turned on, is a work around for this?

When the dvd is already in the tray at the bios boot, the dvd don't boot. (don't know why...)

At the bios boot, you have to push F12. At the bios menu, then load your cd in the tray, and choose the last option, that should have the name of your dvd player. It have worked for me.

This guide has also worked for me but you should build your own dsdt because the ep-45 ds3L isn't compatible with ep45 ds3.

google for one.

good luck

I/O

hi !

i updated to 10.6.3 but my sound doesnt work.

i did your guide with the patched kext and replaced the old AppleHDA.kext in S/L/E

but no luck - i also removed legacyHDA in /Extra and repaird permissions

i have an EP45 DSLR

someone has an solution ?

thx

bart

84R7: You are not supposed to remove LegacyHDA.kext. That is why it is not working for you.

hi !

thanks for reply. but it is still not working.

i downloaded the supported files 1.3.1 once again and copied the legacyhda.kext and applehda.kext on right place and repaired permissions. but still no luck.

apple hda is loading, but on osx i dont have any sound in system preferences ( EP 45 DS3L-R )

is on the DS3L-R board maybe another hardware id nessessary ?

here is my log :

02.04.10 17:38:39 kernel Sound assertion "0 == pathMap_aDriverInstance" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-184.4.3/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 1666 goto Exit

02.04.10 17:38:39 kernel Sound assertion "0 != createAudioEngines ( fPathMap_aDriverInstance )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-184.4.3/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 203 goto Exit

02.04.10 17:38:39 kernel Sound assertion "0 == pathMap_aDriverInstance" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-184.4.3/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 1666 goto Exit

02.04.10 17:38:39 kernel Sound assertion "0 != createAudioEngines ( fPathMap_aDriverInstance )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-184.4.3/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 203 goto Exit

thx

bart

I'm on 10.6.3

It's all ok after changes in /E/E and /S/L/E for audio

All is done and works fine

thanks BlackOsx