[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

The version of Chameleon in the Support Files is a RC5 pre-release, so although functional it's not yet finished. If you want to have complete memory injection then you could use Asere's modified RC4 bootloader (linked to on the front page).

However, if you want to continue using the version of Chameleon RC5 in the support files and want to have the memory's manufacturer and serial numbers etc. displayed then I believe you can add the details in the SMBIOS.plist as it used to be done without adding any flag in the com.apple.Boot.plist, though I haven't tried it. If you do, can you let me know if it works?

I'm a newb, and wanted to find out if there is a geforce card that works out of the box?

Here are a couple I have been looking at:

EVGA 01G-P3-N988-TR GeForce 9800 GT 1GB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...0-534-_-Product

SPARKLE SFPX94GT1024U2 GeForce 9400 GT 1GB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814187037

Or could you recommend one.

Thanks for all your help.

hi!

yes i know that pc efi has nothing to do with ntfs support!

i mean i had installed Chameleon RC4 with PC EFI 10.5 whitch made this hangs while restarting.

then u helped me to install chamaeleon RC5 and my restart is working now without restartfix.kext.

but is in chameleon rc5 pc efi 10.5 or 10.6 included ?

is the restartfix included in pc efi 10.6 ?

so i only need to copy & past the boot file of pcefi 10.6 into my root directory !

thx

bart

PC EFI 10.6 doesnt include restart fix ... back to 10.5...

someone got Surround sound 4.1 or 5.1 on alc 888 analog speacker outputs working with HDALegacy.kext ?

How about searching this thread? as titan4 only recently posted a link to an older post of his about surround sound. Try looking over the last 10 pages here.

PC EFI 10.6 doesnt include restart fix ... back to 10.5...

Why do you want to use PC EFI exactly?, doesn't the Chameleon RC5 pre-release do what you need?

Hi, I tried to install, but I got a black screen after the apple logo, Then I tried to boot with -v -x and same appear, there's some file loading, and after 2/3 minutes, black screen... I noticed in the verbose mode a launchctl error report, and I guess I saw just before the screen gone black, something related with my graphic card.

I use a Gigabyte EP31-DS3L with a Q6600 and I know some of you successfully install with these... So it might be my graphic card: Nvidia GTX280. Any issue with this card ?

THanks for your help.

I am not in anyway suggesting for anybody to do this, and if you do so, you do it at your own risk.

But I thought I would share what I had been doing yesterday and that was to trial Cartri's modified Gigabyte BIOS which allows us to run without a DSDT and I think it might be something to keep our eye one for future.

See here for my report.

Blackosx,

Advantages/potential advantages vs. Chameleon install for our motherboard?

With this thought in mind what further improvements do see on the horizon for your current install method?

hm snow leo only recognice 256 of 512 mb grapic mem of my 8600 gt

i did efi studio and wrote the code into /extra/com.apple.boot.plist

but it still shows 256 mb.

someohne has got an idea ?

My 8600GT came with 256k, was 512 an option?

And have you tried using GraphicsEnabler instead of efi string ?

I don't use the onboard NIC because of speed issues. Instead, there's a PCI-E Intel Pro/1000 installed. It is running nearly out of the box; the only thing to be changed was PID:VID in /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/Intel82574L.kext/Contents/Info.plist.

I'd like to keep my OS X partition as vanilla as possible - because of that I want to move that modification to the Cham partition. However, I'm not familiar with those nested kexts. What exactly do I have to copy to /Volumes/Cham/Extra/Extensions? Only Intel82574L.kext or the whole IONetworkingFamily.kext? What about the ones at /S/L/E - do I have to delete them afterwards or do the ones at /Volumes/Cham/E/E supersede them automatically?

Thanks for some wise words!

blackosx,

I remember you linking Dr.Hurt's RC5 pre8 I believe it was, and remember reading that it did not alter the Windows code in the boot file? Where it still allowed both OS' to boot fine after installing it, and allowing sleep to work on Windows.

So am I right in assuming that if I use your boothfs file instead of booth, that it will replicate this same process? Or is that not how it works? Or worst, a lot more to it than that? I'm just looking for some general Chameleon install steps for a dual-boot setup that I can possibly apply to the latest Cham release or even Asere's Mod.

Also, would the procedure change if each OS had it's own HDD? Most of the time I use 2 drives for each OS, so that would be more helpful to know. What I've always done before is just unplug my OS X drive whenever I install Win7, but this method does not allow Win7 to sleep.

I am very busy at the moment so I can only quickly answer some your questions...

@nekkro-kvlt - I don't know what specific files you will need for the EP31-DS3L, and you most probably need a specific DSDT it. Are there any other threads for your board that you can gather files support files from? Same goes for the GTX280, try and find others with the same card to find any issues they've had.

@cnote - This install, as far a I am aware, is up to date with the latest developments in this scene. So that's having an untouched retail install, with the Chameleon bootloader injecting the necessary files needs for OS X to run on the EP45-DS3L. So any future developments of this install will happen when more developments are made in the scene. Cartri's modified BIOS at the moment rules out us having to use a DSDT, but in time it might evolve in to us being able to not need LegacyHDA and the OrangeIconFix kexts. You can read more about future plans for it on his website. Also there is a nice bonus table hidden in the BIOS which will be very useful for dual booting Windows7 ;)

@landmark - Good question and to be honest I don't know the answer to extracting the Intel82574L.kext from IONetworkingFamily.kext. For this install, like you want, I have kept the retail installation completely untouched. So you could try extracting the Intel82574L.kext and putting it in to /E/E and see if it works, but it would be simpler to just copy the revised IONetworkingFamily.kext to /E/E and see if it loads instead of the one in /S/L/E. If the modified one doesn't load then you can try changing the CFBundleVersion key/string in the info.plist of IONetworkingFamily.kext as I think OS X will choose to load a newer version kext over an older one. You could also try trashing your /System/Library/Caches folder.

@EnzoFX - Yes, Dr Hurt's RC5 pre-release v8 installer did write a modified boot0 to the first 440 bytes of the MBR so therefore not destroying and code that Windows7 had previously written there, allowing for easy dual boots from the same HDD. But since then, Chameleon has evolved to include a two boot0 files, the original boot0 and boot0hfs, and the fdisk440 which only writes to the first 440 bytes of the MBR and should now be used for installing Chameleon manually regardless of doing a dual boot install or not. I have updated 'Part 3 - Install Chameleon' and 'Part 9 - Dual Boot Windows7' PDF's to reflect this.

So Dr Hurt's installer will still do the job, but if you want a later release of Chameleon then you will have to resort to installing it manually. And you can use the same manual install procedure for Asere's files.

I haven't recently dual booted Windows7 from a separate HDD, but booting it by choosing the HDD from BIOS will allow it to run and sleep just great. But I am not sure if it will sleep when booting it from a Chameleon install on a different HDD? I haven't tested that..

no, whats that and where to get this ? :)

It's been mentioned in this thread many times, and it's in 'Part 4' of the PDF guide!

To quote from page 4 of part 4 PDF.

GraphicsEnabler is Chameleon’s auto device property injection for your video card and to enable it, it needs the string Yes. It works for most nVidia cards but not all and is by far the quickest and easiest way for your video card to be fully supported by OS X. The alternative methods are to patch your DSDT with the data for your video card or build a

device (EFI) string and add it to the com.apple.boot.plist.

It's been mentioned in this thread many times, and it's in 'Part 4' of the PDF guide!

To quote from page 4 of part 4 PDF.

GraphicsEnabler is Chameleon’s auto device property injection for your video card and to enable it, it needs the string Yes. It works for most nVidia cards but not all and is by far the quickest and easiest way for your video card to be fully supported by OS X. The alternative methods are to patch your DSDT with the data for your video card or build a

device (EFI) string and add it to the com.apple.boot.plist.

hm the graphics enalber is set to yes in my boot file.

is there an option to set the vram on 512 mb manualy ?

thx 4 help :))

Hi, Blackosx.

Do you think it is worth to change form Asere modified RC4 bootloader to the new RC5?

Can you please tell me how good is the Cartri bios? What kexts do you have to use with it?

Thanks.

Hi jamonda

Do you think it is worth to change form Asere modified RC4 bootloader to the new RC5?

You can either wait until RC5 is officially released, update to one of the pre-release versions (r112 is in my Support Files), or use Asere's modified RC4. I am currently running RC5 pre-release r112 and have been for the last few weeks, but I had been changing versions as often as changing my shoes. It's entirely up to you.

Can you please tell me how good is the Cartri bios? What kexts do you have to use with it?

Cartri's modified Gigabyte BIOS v0.7h for the GA-EP45-DS3L is based on Gigabyte's BIOS F11c which I was using anyway, and he has tweaked the ACPI tables to make it more OS X friendly while maintaining full compatability for Windows and Linux. So for instance the patched DSDT that was being used for this board is now, pretty much, incorporated in to the BIOS so you can flash the EP45-DS3L with Cartri's 0.7h BIOS as per the instructions in his PDF and run OS X without worrying about having a DSDT. The only note, for now, is if you were previously using stepping data in your CPU with P & C-states then you will no longer be able to have it using the embedded DSDT in the BIOS until Cartri can squeeze his refined stepping code in to the limited space he has available. In this case you will want to carry on using your current DSDT.

So for your question of how good it is, all I can answer is it's as good as my previous F11c BIOS from Gigabyte with a few added extras.

And for the question of what kexts to use, well you will use the same as you are now. This install will allow you to run with only fakesmc.kext but you will need LegacyHDA.kext for audio and want OrangeIconFix.kext to replace your orange icons for normal ones. My guide includes NullCPUPowerManagement.kext (which if used also requires SleepEnabler.kext to allow sleep), but you don't need to run with them. This would be the same if you were using a Gigabyte BIOS with patched DSDT, or Cartri's modified BIOS without separate DSDT file in /Extra.

For more details read my report which I posted in Catri's thread.

I don't know if there are any further commands for that. Maybe somebody at the voodooproject's forum can assist you?

ive done it.

its nesessery to delete graphicenabler complete form com.apple.boot.pl and add the device propertyies form efi strings :))

when u turn graphics enabler = no it won't work...

bye

I haven't recently dual booted Windows7 from a separate HDD, but booting it by choosing the HDD from BIOS will allow it to run and sleep just great. But I am not sure if it will sleep when booting it from a Chameleon install on a different HDD? I haven't tested that..

I am booting with Chameleon to Win7 on seperate HDD and sleep works fine, but only if you disable Hybrid Sleep in Power Options. I am not using boot0 or anything like that.