[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

@Squeaky369 - Good to hear you have it sorted, well done.

@elementality119 - Well done and thanks for coming back an reporting.

Are you using the 4outs2ins kext? That's what I've been using. I went to his thread and it looks like I have to edit the kext myself... hmm didn't see them specify 10.6.2 ready, only instructions on how to apply the fix. What's the difference between the "regular headphone" and "HDA headphone"? I guess I should really be asking there too =P

Edit: Looks like I gotta edit it. heh

I also remember you using 3outs2ins, otherwise I'd just use yours =P. Though right now, I don't remember if I used "regular headphones" or the "HDA headphones" kext, haven't figured out the difference.

Good question, lol.. it's been so long now since I originally looked at the four variations of kext that tmongkol supplies, I can't remember from the top of my head, but I think I use the 4outs2ins. Though it might be worth me adding a link to the front page or something to highlight the other three variations to the one I use in my Support Files..

EDIT: I have just done a test and I have been using 3out2in HDA (tmongkols' grey labelled kext).

I don't know the difference between the regular and HDA headphones.

Updated my LegacyHDA kext. I haven't been paying attention to my bootup time anytime recently, but is it possible it went up with the kext? I think it used to take like 18 circle animations, now it does like 25.

hmmm I guess it could be my now "bloated" install =P

The audio and networking does slow down the boot process. Master Chief has done a lot of experiments with boot times and this was one of the main observations (when I last read his how to boost the OS X boot process thread)...

But yes, it's funny as I have a 10.5.8 installation along side 10.6.2, and 10.5.8 still boots quicker and feels snappier (for instance when loading system preferences).

When is Apple going to get smart and offer their own supported version of OS X for PCs? Bill Gates didn't become the richest man in the world, or build one of the most successful companies of all time (love 'em or hate 'em), by selling hardware; it was through selling OPERATING SYSTEMS! If Apple's hardware is superior, than there will always be people buying it. WAKE UP APPLE!

I just want to say a BIG THANKS to BlackOSX for all of your GREAT work! Your guides and collection of support files and links have been a true God send for me!!

THANK YOU!

It would be wrong of me not to also thank all of the GREAT contributors to the scene who make this a possibility, so THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH!

I am SO appreciative for ALL of your GREAT and HARD work!

At this time though, I do want to single out BlackOSX. Even though the possibility is out there, it’s not realistically possible for those of us like me who no longer have hours, days, weeks, months, etc to locate everything we need and to experiment endlessly in order to finally get something that we can use, AND is stable.

I jumped into the scene in 2007, and it has been hell ever since. My sanity was tested and pushed to the brink too many times to recall. It is painful to even think about it still.

Because of BlackOSX’s contributions, getting SL working on my machine was not tortures, as it always was before, but realistically viable. Again, THANK YOU BlackOSX!

I would like to make a donation to BlackOSX via PayPal or otherwise, so please let me know how this can be done. The quality of your work is so professional and comprehensive, and accurate, I would gladly have paid for a kit had one been offered.

My SL is up and running better than any other installation of OS X, and in a fraction of the time! Amazing!

Thank you one more time,

Mammoth

Mammoth: They did that once and that was nearly their end. People stopped buying Apple computers, because other licensed manufacturers were cheaper. And it also brings a lot of issues. You know most of stability problems in Windows are caused by drivers.

Hi Mammoth

Congratulations with your install and thanks for reporting your success with this guide.

I would like to make a donation to BlackOSX via PayPal or otherwise, so please let me know how this can be done. The quality of your work is so professional and comprehensive, and accurate, I would gladly have paid for a kit had one been offered.

It's very kind of you wanting to make me a donation, but I don't believe in accepting anything other a thank you. :)

This community survives on the kindness of everyone donating their knowledge, after all this is a hobby for most people. The methods, tools, tricks and tips have come from many people, from many places and from many years of tinkering, researching, coding, testing, documenting and playing.

I have only learnt what I know from the work of others and hopefully that chain will continue without the desire for financial gain by a few chancers as has happened in the past in this scene.

If you do feel like making a donation though then maybe donate to InsanelyMac to help them keep this forum running or maybe buy some Voodoolabs' merchandise.

Regards and enjoy your new hack :(

hi !

big thanks for your guide ! :D

it workes perfectly for me.

but i have one problem :

when i do a restart he does the restart procedere and i get a black screen . my screen switches into standby mode and the machine is still running. i must reset it.

shutdown workes perfectly.

thx

hi !

big thanks for your guide ! :D

it workes perfectly for me.

but i have one problem :

when i do a restart he does the restart procedere and i get a black screen . my screen switches into standby mode and the machine is still running. i must reset it.

shutdown workes perfectly.

thx

If you have Asere's modified Chameleon RC4 just add this to com.apple.Boot.plist:

<key>RestartFix</key>
<string>YES</string>

If not, you need OSXRestart.kext from support files

If you have Asere's modified Chameleon RC4 just add this to com.apple.Boot.plist:

<key>RestartFix</key>
<string>YES</string>

If not, you need OSXRestart.kext from support files

Hi!

Thank you for your quick answer !

i downloaded the support files again and there is no osxRestart.kext anymore..

greets

bart

@84R7

Have you installed the version of Chameleon from the latest support files? as restart should just work without the need for doing anything else. So no need to add the Restart key/string to the com.apple.Boot.plist and no need for OSXRestart or any other restart kext.

@84R7

Have you installed the version of Chameleon from the latest support files? as restart should just work without the need for doing anything else. So no need to add the Restart key/string to the com.apple.Boot.plist and no need for OSXRestart or any other restart kext.

hm

ive installed chameleon 2 rc4 V3

ill try to install your chameleon.

the probleme ive have is that i didnt do a seperate partition for chameleon

so whhat should i do on this step : ?

sudo -s cd (then a space)

You’ll then be asked for your password. then drag the ‘Chameleon’ folder, from inside Part3 of the Support Files, to the Terminal.

Drag file fdisk440 -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdiskX

dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXsn cp boot /Volumes/Cham mkdir /Volumes/Cham/Extra exit

my diskutil list :

/dev/disk0

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *200.0 GB disk0

1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_HFS MAC OS X 199.7 GB disk0s2

thx

If you have previously installed Chameleon to your system partition - disk0s2, then do as the instructions you've quoted but use:

fdisk440 -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0

dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2

cp boot /Volumes/ (then drag the OS X partition)

If you have previously installed Chameleon to your system partition - disk0s2, then do as the instructions you've quoted but use:

fdisk440 -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0

dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2

cp boot /Volumes/ (then drag the OS X partition)

it worked !

big thx !

64 bit workes, too with native ntfs

http://ntfsmounter.com

Great ;)

I have not used NTFS mounter but be careful if it enables the currently disabled Apple NTFS implementation as other users have reported corrupted disks with using it.

hm what about pc efi 10.6 support ?

i tried it before u helped me and had this reboot problem.

I'm pretty ticked off at my Mic input, I just find it too low, and I have it maxed out =/

Is anyone else experiencing this? Aside from the mic, I don't really use on board, I use USB for output.

Just looking for a general direction here, mic and audio does work fine in Windows. This is on ALC888 with DSDTHDEF+LegacyHDA kext.

hm what about pc efi 10.6 support ?

i tried it before u helped me and had this reboot problem.

PC EFI is a bootloader and has nothing to do with NTFS support.

I'm pretty ticked off at my Mic input, I just find it too low, and I have it maxed out =/

Is anyone else experiencing this? Aside from the mic, I don't really use on board, I use USB for output.

Just looking for a general direction here, mic and audio does work fine in Windows. This is on ALC888 with DSDTHDEF+LegacyHDA kext.

Hopefully someone else can share their experiences with this as I don't have a microphone or the need for one. I can remember in the past someone using a USB webcam with built in microphone, but not the 3.5mm jack.

EnzoFX,

I have a different mother board but the analog mic works fine with the back outputs but not from the front. I switched to a USB mic/headset and life is good!

Just wondering if you are using the proper legacy kext? Test each one and see how it goes.

Also I use SoundSource for easier control of Audio input/output:

http://www.rogueamoeba.com/freebies/

Thanks guys,

Well I have the latest from tmongkol's thread, and I am using the 4outs2ins HDA headphones kext, I've also done the 10.6.2 edit/fix. Somehow I doubt trying another kext from there would change things, but I suppose I can try perhaps 3outs2ins... oh and I found out that HDA headphones is for Cases that support HDA connection for their front panel, as opposed to just AC97. So with HDA you gain auto-detection/switching when plugging in your headphones.

The mic is connected at the back. I have to have it maxed out in Sys Prefs for me to be audible in voice apps such as Skype, Gmail, etc. If it is at anything less, I'm talking to myself haha. I do have a Creative Xmod that I use for System Output. It has a Mic input and I did try using that. It too caused similar results. Volume was low, a little clearer. Overall though I don't think the OS liked me using it in conjunction with the output and the webcam, Skype kept giving me usb errors, and at one point it was like system output was muted =/. I would expect using it would be better via the usb...

So back at it with onboard, seeing if I can just get the volume up, but I'll keep messing with my devices in the meantime...

PC EFI is a bootloader and has nothing to do with NTFS support.

Hopefully someone else can share their experiences with this as I don't have a microphone or the need for one. I can remember in the past someone using a USB webcam with built in microphone, but not the 3.5mm jack.

hi!

yes i know that pc efi has nothing to do with ntfs support!

i mean i had installed Chameleon RC4 with PC EFI 10.5 whitch made this hangs while restarting.

then u helped me to install chamaeleon RC5 and my restart is working now without restartfix.kext.

but is in chameleon rc5 pc efi 10.5 or 10.6 included ?

is the restartfix included in pc efi 10.6 ?

so i only need to copy & past the boot file of pcefi 10.6 into my root directory !

thx

bart

I am not in anyway suggesting for anybody to do this, and if you do so, you do it at your own risk.

But I thought I would share what I had been doing yesterday and that was to trial Cartri's modified Gigabyte BIOS which allows us to run without a DSDT and I think it might be something to keep our eye one for future.

See here for my report.

but is in chameleon rc5 pc efi 10.5 or 10.6 included ?

is the restartfix included in pc efi 10.6 ?

so i only need to copy & past the boot file of pcefi 10.6 into my root directory !

hi bart

To be honest I haven't used PC EFI 10.6, so I don't know what features it now has. It's will be easiest to read netkas' blog to hopefully find out more. But if you want to use it, then I guess you will only need to copy the boot file, yes.

Interesting stuff blackosx!

I just had a friend install the latest cham in your sources files on their netbook. It apparently does not list any memory p/n or s/n for them in System Profiler. Can I simply add the memory info back to SMBIOS.plist? or do I also have to turn on a flag in boot.plist to first disable the memory detection feature?

Thanks

I just had a friend install the latest cham in your sources files on their netbook. It apparently does not list any memory p/n or s/n for them in System Profiler. Can I simply add the memory info back to SMBIOS.plist? or do I also have to turn on a flag in boot.plist to first disable the memory detection feature?

Thanks

The version of Chameleon in the Support Files is a RC5 pre-release, so although functional it's not yet finished. If you want to have complete memory injection then you could use Asere's modified RC4 bootloader (linked to on the front page).

However, if you want to continue using the version of Chameleon RC5 in the support files and want to have the memory's manufacturer and serial numbers etc. displayed then I believe you can add the details in the SMBIOS.plist as it used to be done without adding any flag in the com.apple.Boot.plist, though I haven't tried it. If you do, can you let me know if it works?