Callisto Technical Discussion

Swad

826 posts in this topic

I tried a second attempt to install the driver in case it was an error I had made during installation. Still no go. The login window never appears and the boot screen gets tearing.

What type of monitor do you use - CRT or LCD? Is it connected on VGA output or on DVI?

I get that on the VGA output (using a CRT monitor), but using the DVI output (with a DVI-VGA adapter) seems to work (I mean I can get into OS X, with a distorted image and monitor flickering - but that's another story).

Just to help with the universal mind:

I tried out Callisto with my x300 and my 23" Cinema Display. Resolution actually would change to 1900x1200! but the screen flickered horribly. No options for refresh change and any res change and I got a permanant black screen. Soooo close. I wonder what the flickering issue is?

Alpha 002 works about 1/4 of the time for me(I have to restart 1-4 times before the screen is fixable/readable). Better than nothing. :)

1.) Download SwitchResX

2.) assign F-keys to different resolutions. 640x480 is a good one.

3.) If the display boots up scrambled, wait for switchresx to load (you did tell it to load in the menu bar, right?)

4.) Profit.

SwitchResX is a messy work around, but it does work. It took more than a few restarts to get it right. Just as greenman said, create a kb shortcut for 640x480 and you favorite higher res/refresh. Problem is you only have 10 days to use it :).

SwitchResX is a messy work around, but it does work. It took more than a few restarts to get it right. Just as greenman said, create a kb shortcut for 640x480 and you favorite higher res/refresh. Problem is you only have 10 days to use it :(.

the timer isn't counting down for me for some reason. and I didn't hack/crack it.

Hey there. I found another messy workaround, but without SwitchResX:

Add "Displays.prefpane" to your startup items. This way, the res change box will come up after every boot. Then simply press Apple-Tab, Tab and then Up/Down to try and change the resolution. I found that I only needed this twice, as the resolution stays stable after some reboots - if I don't change anything.

Hi everyone,

just installed callisto alpha 002, which is a real success with a radeon X300SE (0X5b60), except some crappy mouse artifacts!

I need some help please, because I selected a too high refresh rate for my monitor. My CRT display is awful now, and I'm totally blind. Please, could anyone tell me how to fix this? Meaning, How can I do to decrease my refresh rate if I'm not able to see anything?

Many thanks

Ok thx, and what is the command to edit a file in -x mode?

Or could anyone explain me how to remove the driver in single user mode? So that I could install it again.

Thx

PLEASE if you know, help me, because I'm here to wait!!! and I googled without any answers...

Hi!

I think you should edit info.plist in IONDRVSupport.kext and replace all "IONDRVFramebuffer" to "CallistoFB", i did that and now autologin works and the screen isnt scrambled. :whistle:

Sorry for my bad english!

Ok ive done the change, nothing better or worst, same stage : it doesnt work, im still having the screen in twice + white screen and blue stripes when screen try to resfresh resolution.

the timer isn't counting down for me for some reason.

I don't use the timer. I created 2 custom resolutions. One 800x600, 85.14Hz and the other 1600x1200, 75Hz. Under Display Sets, create your "Safe reso"and add your higher reso. and create your kb shortcuts for them. When you reboot, you should be able to use your shortcuts to change reso. Also, make sure you choose "Last used resolution" under the General Tab.

I did notice under the switchresx control that the display sets become undefined. That's okay though. You should still be able to use your kb shortcuts to change reso. and it will default back to your last used reso. Mine is 1600x1200@75Hz.

On a side note, if you change your reso first using System prefs to your desired resolution, open switchresx and it should pick up the timing perams to add to the custom display. If you change to the 800x600@85Hz, open switchresx again and add the custom reso to it. It should also pick up the perameters for 800x600@85Hz.

Ok thx, and what is the command to edit a file in -x mode?

Or could anyone explain me how to remove the driver in single user mode? So that I could install it again.

Thx

PLEASE if you know, help me, because I'm here to wait!!! and I googled without any answers...

This will remove the driver

fcsk -fy

mount -u /

cd /System/Library/Extensions

sudo rm -rf Calisto*

cd ..

rm Extensions.mkext

rm Extensions.kextcache

reboot

Pretty similar to that I think, but I might have gotten a couple of things a bit wrong.

Be careful with rm -rf...

I don't use the timer. I created 2 custom resolutions. One 800x600, 85.14Hz and the other 1600x1200, 75Hz. Under Display Sets, create your "Safe reso"and add your higher reso. and create your kb shortcuts for them. When you reboot, you should be able to use your shortcuts to change reso. Also, make sure you choose "Last used resolution" under the General Tab.

I did notice under the switchresx control that the display sets become undefined. That's okay though. You should still be able to use your kb shortcuts to change reso. and it will default back to your last used reso. Mine is 1600x1200@75Hz.

On a side note, if you change your reso first using System prefs to your desired resolution, open switchresx and it should pick up the timing perams to add to the custom display. If you change to the 800x600@85Hz, open switchresx again and add the custom reso to it. It should also pick up the perameters for 800x600@85Hz.

timer as in OMG WTF YOU HAVENT PAID FOR THIS YET

Before anyone ask, this is the process to make a usbkey boots DOS, remember that you PC needs to be able to boot from USB devices.

Tools needed

- HP USB Disk Storage Media (http://www.apcstart.com/usb/software/SP27213.exe)

- Get-EDID (http://john.fremlin.de/programs/linux/read-edid/get-edid-dos.zip)

- A USB DRIVE (Safe the content, you need to format)

Process

- Intall HP USB Disk Storage Media

- Select your USB Drive (Be sure is your USB Driver because you need to format it)

- Select "Quick format"

- Select "Create a DOS Startup disk" and "Using Internal MS-DOS system files"

- Press Start to format

- When it finish copy to your drive the contents of get-edid-dos.zip

- Reboot

- Enter in BIOS config and set USB device as first boot device

- Save & Exit

- When DOS boots, just do GET-EDID.EXE EDID-OUT

Hope it helps.

when i use "get-edid" to find the information about my monitor the screen stays black... it wont quit... The monitor is an Apple Cinema Display 23". When i use get-edid with my 17' dell monitor i DO get information bout the screen. Anyone any idea? Thanks!