Callisto Technical Discussion

Swad

826 posts in this topic

Hey, everyone... I kinda need some help here...

I got an X800XT All In Wonder AGP 256MB card. Dev ID = 4a4b

I've done all the steps in the installation walkthrough available at omni's website then rebooted.

When Mac OS loads, it shows me a screen telling me that it wasn't possible to load CallistoHAL.kext. Then I click ok on that and there are absolutely no resolutions available for me to change (of course).

Last week I installed SwitchResX here but removed it later. Could that be the problem?

I'm using Mac OS X 10.4.4.

Thanks in advance.

Man, 7 times, you are so patient.

well, I tried 7 times but it didn't work for me. :angry:

One thing funny is that I found my self can't stand for the long reboot back to windows xp.

try again, it took me 7 reboot before my first 100% working 1280x800

post-26726-1147142863_thumb.jpg

Although I can't read it, I guess it's the same as what I encountered first time.

Seems like it's the problem of inproper file mode.

Please follow the installation guide on omni's website.

Especially those "sudo xxx" commands. I suggest copy-paste.

Here's a screenshot of the problem described on my last post.

I'd really appreciate any help. Thanks!

Here's a screenshot of the problem described on my last post.

I'd really appreciate any help. Thanks!

you did not follow instalation guire, you dident repaired permission manually, follow the omni instalation guide then repain permission in disk utilies

Keep up the good work, Omni. Alpha 002 works great now on my X800 XL(0x554d). However, QE/CI/GL with ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin results in this:

picture10yl.th.png

So I'm waiting for it to be fixed[hopefully] in the future. But I can't complain. No tearing! :angry:

picture23gz.th.png

Keep up the good work, Omni. Alpha 002 works great now on my X800 XL(0x554d). However, QE/CI/GL with ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin results in this:

picture10yl.th.png

So I'm waiting for it to be fixed[hopefully] in the future. But I can't complain. No tearing! :angry:

picture23gz.th.png

I'll say it again, of course you don't have tearing - tearing only occurs with QE/CI. Enable QE/CI and you will have tearing again - this driver does not address tearing.

Hi there:

I would like to report that my Radeon Mobility x600 SE 128Mb PCI-E its working now.

First, I followed omni's instructions from his website.

When I tried to switch resolutions, my display became trashed. It seemed like a synch problem. I let it be that way and rebooted.

When I came back to OSX, my screen was like I left it, with the refresh rate problem, then I managed to go to the display properties and pressed the up arrow to go back to 1024x768, which worked fine. After that I pressed the down arrow once and my resolution switched to 1280x800 and it worked. Finally, I pressed the down arrow one more time to get 1440x900 (my laptop's native resolution) and worked too.

System Profiler reports:

Chipset Model: Radeon X600SE (PCIE)

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

VRAM (Total): 128 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x5462

Revision ID: 0x0000

Displays:

Color LCD:

Resolution: 1440 x 900 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Not Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

My screen tearing problem is gone, and graphics acceleration is gone too as expected, VLC plays video as a granny trying to cross a street.... READ: SLOW!!! but since I want to try OSX for web development, I think that a bigger workspace is better than having Graphics Acceleration.

I don't know if Omni's going to kick QE and CI into his drivers, if he does would be amazing, if he doesn't.... well, he already made a lot!!!

Excelent work Omni!!!

May 9 02:27:01 localhost kernel[0]: CallistoHAL Initialized!

May 9 02:27:01 localhost kernel[0]: Callisto: omni's ATI Driver&FrameBuffer, build 002, 07-May-2006

May 9 02:27:01 localhost kernel[0]: Callisto: Model Radeon Mobility 9600/9700 (M10/M11) NP (rv370)

May 9 02:27:01 localhost kernel[0]: Callisto: MMIO range@0x18 (ff5f0000) mapped to kernel virtual address 0x2922d000

May 9 02:27:01 localhost kernel[0]: Callisto: 64 MB DDR SGRAM found on 128 bit wide bus

May 9 02:27:01 localhost kernel[0]: Callisto: VRAM range@0x10 (d0000000:04000000)

May 9 02:27:01 localhost kernel[0]: Callisto: Found ROM @0xc0000

May 9 02:27:01 localhost kernel[0]: Callisto: Legacy ATI BIOS detected

May 9 02:27:01 localhost kernel[0]: Callisto: PLL values detected from Legacy BIOS: ref_clk=2700, ref_div=6, xclk=22300, min_freq=20000, max_freq=35000

May 9 02:27:01 localhost kernel[0]: Callisto: Port[0] DDC: DDC_DVI, DAC: TVDAC, TMDS: Internal, Connector: DVI-D

May 9 02:27:01 localhost kernel[0]: Callisto: Port[1] DDC: DDC_VGA, DAC: Primary, TMDS: Unknown, Connector: CRT

May 9 02:27:01 localhost kernel[0]: Callisto: Panel ID string: 1920X1200 WUXGA

May 9 02:27:01 localhost kernel[0]: Callisto: Panel Size from BIOS: 1920x1200

May 9 02:27:01 localhost kernel[0]: Callisto: (BIOS) FP: Hdisp=1920, Hblank=224, Hover_plus=88, HsyncWidth=32

May 9 02:27:01 localhost kernel[0]: Callisto: (BIOS) FP: Vdisp=1200, Vblank=12, Vover_plus=2, VsyncWidth=1

May 9 02:27:01 localhost kernel[0]: Callisto: (BIOS) FP: Pixel Clock=157500

May 9 02:27:01 localhost kernel[0]: Callisto: Non-DDC laptop panel detected

May 9 02:27:01 localhost kernel[0]: Callisto: Found Monitor: LCD

May 9 02:27:01 localhost kernel[0]: Callisto: done with Radeon Mobility 9600/9700 (M

This is what I get from Callisto. It detects it as LCD. Native Resolution does not work. Only 1024x768 , 1280x1024 and 1280x800 Scaled works.

When I enable QE/CI in the 9700GA.plugin folder by pointing it to CallistoFB I get garbled screen.

Hope this helps.. Keep up the great work.

I'll say it again, of course you don't have tearing - tearing only occurs with QE/CI. Enable QE/CI and you will have tearing again - this driver does not address tearing.

Well if it wasn't obvious from my last post, I *can't* enable QE/CI or I get that garbage screen. ;)

Tested this with my X200M card. Driver loads, and is supporting my card, but that's about it. When I close my lid the computer goes to sleep, but then refuses to wake up, instead flashing the capslock/numlock keys intermittently. Can't change resolutions without destroying the screen either.

Ok, i have installed it several times now, same error every time.

There is one thing in the instalation i can't do, because the files (/Library/Preferences/com.apple.window*) that i'm supose to delete isn't there. I don't know if that is the problem but it may be.

Anyways, the error is that when i boot up my machine the screen shows me the Callisto output+++ and when the loginwindow.app loads the screen won't go any further, but the os loads. I can tell by the sound of the os ;)

Anyone who know if I have to delete som files, or reconfigure something. I have used Omni's instalation manual every time. And it's just the files i can't remove that is the problem.

Sorry for bad english, from norway

--SleepO

version 2 work a little better. The kext detects my screen as LCD & CRT and picks the supported resolutions only. But whenever I try to change it, the display goes crazy. If I let the setting to 1280x800 and reboot, I get a kernel panic, but if I get back to 1024x768 before rebooting, this does not happen.

x700 mobility 256 Mo DDR, 1280x800 LCD (Acer 1692 wlmi)

Ok I think Ill try build 2 of this alpha release and see how it goes.As of right now I am using the original driver omni gave me a while back here is some info on gxf and rez/refresh

ATI Radeon 9600 XT:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon 9600 XT

Bus: PCI

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Device ID: 0x4152

Displays:

Proview 17" LCD:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 75 Hz

Core Image: Supported

Quartz 2D Extreme: Supported

Quartz Extreme: Supported

I have no issues with screen scrambles or any of this but will post back with my results from the new build

Okay, I finally got my 9600 Mobility recognized as AGP. Then I moved the Callisto kext files to the proper location, chmod/chowned properly, removed the kext cache files, and did a verbose reboot. It freezes when starting the login window, but my card is found and recognized properly.

This is what I get from verbose mode, it's gonna take a year to type ;) Including messages previous to Callisto drivers loading cause they may be relevant. Excuse any typos...

kextd[37]: kld_load_from memory() failed for module /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.ketext/Contents/MacOS/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin
kedtd[37]: a link/load error occured for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext
CallistoHAL Initialized!
kextd[43]: a link/load error occured for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleMLANAudio.kext
kextd[44]: a link/load error occured for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/AudioIPCDriver.kext
Callisto: omni's ATI Driver&FrameBuffer, build 002, 07-May-2006
Callisto: Model Radeon Mobility 9600/9700 (M10/M11) NP (rv370)
Callisto: MMIO range@0x18 (fcff00000) mapped to kernel virtual address 0x2a58c0000
Callisto: 128 MB DDR SGRAM found on 128 bit wide bus
Callisto: VRAM Range@0x10 (d0000000:08000000)
Callisto: Found ROM @0xc0000
Callisto: Legacy ATI BIOS detected
Callisto: PLL values detected from Legacy BIOS: ref_clk=2700, ref_div=6, xclk=24300, min_freq=20000 max_freq=35000
Callisto: Unknown DDCType 6 found in BIOS
Callisto: LCD DDC info table found in BIOS!
Callisto: Port[0] DDC: N/C, DAC: Primary, TDMS: External, Connector: DVI-D
Callisto: Port[1] DDC: DDC_VGA, DAC: Primary, TMDS: Unknown, Connector: CRT
Callisto: Panel ID string W3866154U1

Callisto: Panel size from BIOS: 1920x1200
Callisto: No Panel Timing found in BIOS
Callisto: (BIOS) FP: Hdisp=1920, Hblank=-1016, Hover_lus=104, HsyncWidth=0
Callisto: (BIOS) FP: Vdisp=1200, Vblank=-255, Vover_plus=2, VsyncWidth=0
Callisto: (BIOS) FP: Pixel Clock=0
Callisto: Non-DDC laptop panel detected
Callisto: Found Monitor: LCD
Callisto: Guessing panel info...
Callisto: done with Radeon Mobility 9600/9700 (M
...some ipv6 stuff and other networking stuff...
localhost /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/loginwindow: Login Window Application Started

and it stops there. That was exhausting.

When not in verbose mode I get the apple logo and spinner, the spinner stops, and when I move the mouse I get a block cursor and a bit of artifacting.

I don't have any of the other ATI drivers installed (but they're backed up). I removed them from the Extensions directory cause it got my sound to work. No, really, it did. No ATI drivers = sound.

I hope someone is able to get something from this... cause after typing all that, I'm exhausted. :)

I've followed the instructions on Callisto's site to the letter, many times over. Permissions are correct, I've done disk utility permission repairs on top of that.

Any ideas? I'm *almost* there.

quick edit: when I install the kexts when I'm in OSX and kextload them, they load fine, no issues at all, but it doesn't result in any more resolution options.

dbunder: got the same problem as you. Does your screensaver work? Mine does, when it hangs on the login app window thing the screensaver pops up after 5min. And it is in widescreen format ;) but i can't get into osx tho.

a little more details I have noticed : the fade effect doesn't work (when switching in full screen for diaporama, iTunes vis, screen saver...), the "flash" effect neither works, and the most surprising, sometimes the mouse cursor bugs and appears as a line and then there's no more mouse tearing !

Hangs in loginwindow are usually caused by a bad ATIRadeonxxxx.kext that enables QE anc CI. If you are using 10.4.6 kexts go back to use 10.4.4 or 4.5. From Omni's site:

Black screen with mouse cursor instead of the Desktop

You must be using ATI KEXTs from 10.4.6. It seems Apple has changed something between 10.4.5 and 10.4.6 versions. Just go back to 10.4.5 ATI KEXTs and you should be fine

Alright well I just installed omni's alpha 2 release and had some strange scrambled screen issue so I went and got my dvi to vga converter and used it so my lcd is pluged into the dvi , anyway on first boot I got a scrange like double screen and scrambled but I could see enough to change rez/refresh.After the first change it was fine and everything seems to be working ok , after one reboot. I hope it stays this way :)

here is my info

Radeon 9600XT AR:

Chipset Model: Radeon 9600XT AR

Bus: PCI

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Device ID: 0x4152

Displays:

Proview 17" LCD:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 75 Hz

Core Image: Supported

Quartz 2D Extreme: Supported

Quartz Extreme: Supported

(BTW Radeon 9600XT AR ( AR = AGP ) )

and here is my startup

Callisto: omni's ATI Driver&FrameBuffer, build 002, 07-May-2006

Callisto: Model Radeon 9600XT AR (rv370)

Callisto: MMIO range@0x18 (ff8f0000) mapped to kernel virtual address 0x299dc000

Callisto: 256 MB DDR SGRAM found on 128 bit wide bus

Callisto: VRAM range@0x10 (c0000000:10000000)

Callisto: Found ROM @0xc0000

Callisto: Legacy ATI BIOS detected

Callisto: PLL values detected from Legacy BIOS: ref_clk=2700, ref_div=12, xclk=20000, min_freq=20000, max_freq=40000

Callisto: Port[0] DDC: DDC_DVI, DAC: TVDAC, TMDS: Internal, Connector: DVI-I

Callisto: Port[1] DDC: DDC_VGA, DAC: Primary, TMDS: Unknown, Connector: CRT

Callisto: Found Monitor: CRT

Callisto: done with Radeon 9600XT AR

Also Cyclonefr , Sorry but I can not post any pre release drivers from omni.