Callisto Technical Discussion

Swad

826 posts in this topic

Tested on my Radeon X1800XL PCI-E. Basically works, but changing resolution causes the blue screen thing (machine has hung - wont respond to pings). Changing refresh rate causes either weirdo split purple screen, or it flashes then comes back ok. System profiler reports the new refresh rate, but the monitor disagrees - its info panel thing shows 60Hz.

Radeon X1800XL PCI-E -> DVI-VGA Converter -> Iiyama Vision Master Pro 452, fresh 10.4.6 JaS install.

I have a big problem with Callisto - the monitor no longer goes to sleep after 15 minutes as it should...

And also... I know monitor detection isn't implemented and probably never will be, but is there a way to tell the OS what monitor I have by hand? Like in Windows, "select driver manualy".

Also Cyclonefr , Sorry but I can not post any pre release drivers from omni.

Jas, thanx for the test, it has been really helpfull. Now to go futher, i would be glad if u can talk to omni and ask him to work on the code of the prerelease or ask him to post it on his blog...it will fix a lot of thing for a bunch of guys here...including me!

if u want to mail it to me i would be please to try it on my computer.

regards

And also... I know monitor detection isn't implemented and probably never will be

Where the heck do you get that conclusion from? Do you guys actually read?

From Omni's front page:

Still no proper monitor detection and as it stands now, I will take a shortcut route and go around it altogether.

Also, regarding configuring manually the monitor, I have tried this using displayconfigX but my conclusion is that it won't work due to callisto not reading monitor configuration values properly. Wait for alpha003 or whatever the next release is.

Build 2 is work on my card,Thanks Omni

Radeon Mobility:

Chipset Model: Radeon Mobility

Type: Display

Bus: PCI

VRAM (Total): 16 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x4c59

Revision ID: 0x0000

Displays:

Color LCD:

Resolution: 1024 x 768 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Not Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

Tested on my Radeon X1800XL PCI-E. Basically works, but changing resolution causes the blue screen thing (machine has hung - wont respond to pings). Changing refresh rate causes either weirdo split purple screen, or it flashes then comes back ok. System profiler reports the new refresh rate, but the monitor disagrees - its info panel thing shows 60Hz.

Radeon X1800XL PCI-E -> DVI-VGA Converter -> Iiyama Vision Master Pro 452, fresh 10.4.6 JaS install.

I can confirm that it happens also with an X1900XT-card so I guess there's still some problems left to iron out in the X1X00-support. But atleast it works fine in 1024x768, keep up the good work Omni I say ;)

Is it possible to make an installer app and an unistaller app. Or a script maybe. Two times i'm trying to install the driver and my mac os doesn't want to rebbot correctly... Two times re-installing MacOS in two days for a mac user it's too much.

Excuse my english, I'm French!

Is it possible to make an installer app and an unistaller app. Or a script maybe. Two times i'm trying to install the driver and my mac os doesn't want to rebbot correctly... Two times re-installing MacOS in two days for a mac user it's too much.

Excuse my english, I'm French!

oubli ce driver il marche pas.

you don't have to fully reinstall macOS to de-install the kexts. Just reboot in single user mode and do a

"

mount -uw /

rm -R /System/Librairy/Extensions/Callisto*

rm /System/Librairy/Extensions.*

reboot

"

and you should be ok...

I have installed Callisto and it is working perfectly on my Radeon 9600 XT. However, I no longer have QE/CI and would like to enable it. The beginning of this thread mentioned editing the ATIRADEON9700GA.plugin seek to make this happen, but I cannot find this file to do it. I've tried using Spotlight to locate this file, but it returns nothing. Is this file loaded automatically or is this something that I have to install and then edit? If it is something that I have to install, where would I get it from? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

I have installed Callisto and it is working perfectly on my Radeon 9600 XT. However, I no longer have QE/CI and would like to enable it. The beginning of this thread mentioned editing the ATIRADEON9700GA.plugin seek to make this happen, but I cannot find this file to do it. I've tried using Spotlight to locate this file, but it returns nothing. Is this file loaded automatically or is this something that I have to install and then edit? If it is something that I have to install, where would I get it from? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

/System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin

Sapphire x1600 xt

Driver loads properly and does 1024x768 just fine--no tearing in fact.

And switching of resolutions (like to get up to my native 1600x1200) results in blue or black screen (depending on rez). If I put the boot options back in com.apple.Boot, the screen is distorted when it goes from the login to the actual desktop. Close!

Just tested this on my desktop pc with a Radeon 9600 Pro 256MB (same ID as the one omni is using):

- after installing the Callisto drivers: switch to 1280x1024 Millions of colors is OK

- rebooting results in a non-synchronized desktop

- rebooting again is ok again

- then altered Radeon9700GA.plugin to use CallistoFB to activate QE and CI and rebooted

- this gives me some serious tearing: almost a full horizontal line (or is it a couple of distorted horizontal lines?) is following the mousepointer everywhere

- so I went back to my original setup (no Callisto)

These distorted horizontal lines were the same as the ones I had in the beginning when I was running Zeta: after changing the pixel clock (to use the correct settings for my adapter) in the driver source and recompiling these horizontal lines went away...

So question is: is anybody else having these "lines"? I really wonder if omni has these lines (as he is having the same Radeon ID as I have)...

If there was only a way to change the detect program (for the Zeta/BeOS driver it was in detect.c) in omni's driver to use the correct pixel clock I have the feeling a lot of us would be really happy ;)

Take care,

Tek_No

today i buyed a sapphire ati x550 pcie card. works great with resolution change (1680x1050 on my dell), qe and ci. sometimes when i reboot i have bad timings, so i have to chance again the resolution.

is that possible to write a script which chance the resolution on startup?

oubli ce driver il marche pas.

Bien sur qu'il marche, seulement defoit il y a un peut beaucoup d'artéfact...

dit pas le driver marche pas, dit dans sont cas le driver marche pas.

______________ traduction:

Of course this driver work, only in his case it still buggy. Dont say "forgot that this driver dont work"

ok well it wouldnt keep the rez/refresh so i removed alpha 2 and went back to the original Callisto I have been using

Well... at least we have confirmation that in an attempt to support CRT monitors, this driver got a little botched up. *sigh*

If the original callisto driver (which was never public) works perfectly for LCD monitors, why not release it? The majority of us don't have CRT anyway. Or at least implement a way of preventing CRT monitors from running an LCD-only driver by locking it down to specific monitor type during hardware detection.

c'est sûr que c'est un peu catégorique comme réponse ;-)

for me it's working very well with a X300 PCIe and an apple cinema display 20 "

i'm running in 1680x1050x32 with QE and CI actived, that's perfect...

Thanks a lot omni, i'll give you a donation for your works

just installed build 002 on my Thinkpad T42 with ATI Radeo Mobility 9600. Works great! All modes from 640x480 all the way to 1400x1050. After the initial reboot when i switched to 1400x1050 the screen went black and blue.. Hard rebooted the computer and all the modes work now.

I just tried it on my hp pavillion zv5000 laptop with a Ati Mobility Radeon 9000 IGP card, it does boot and reconize my card as the right one.

But when i want to put it in 1280 x 800 i get a black screen.

Can somebody help me?

Permission to say f*** on osx86project.org

Look what I did...

rm -R /System/Library/Extensions*

And I was trying to remove the kextcache files...

You can only guess what happened :>