[UPDATED] Chameleon 2.0RC2 is out! With Official Installer

Onixs

447 posts in this topic

Booting XP/Vista on another drive i think we have to go through or check out devilhoods`s guide dualbooting Vista/XP with MacOs or just macgirls tutorial. As mackerintel told me at chameleon's hungarian headquarter "chameleon can boot ntldr only if it'son the first bios drive".

I don't know if this helps, but i`m going to do more research on bootloading issues :)(When there is less to do in work grrrr but weekend is coming)

thank you for your help !

I tried many thing to boot up XP (another Drive) and I did not mange to do anything yet ... XP does not want to boot... for the rest OSX is booting well

it seems that many numerous people are having this issue ...

Thanks a lot to the Chameleon developers.

Chameleon is working great for me, both on hard disk and USB stick with an Intel DP35DP board and a Core 2 Quad Q6600 with 4GB RAM and 1TB SATA disk.

In context with the boot.plist file, I think one could improve the handling of the boot-uuid= kernel flag. In particular, if there is also the parameter "Default Partition", or one selects a different partition manually, then the boot-uuid= kernel flag is still passed to the kernel and results in either the wrong disk being used or "Still waiting for root device". In my case, I had the UUID of a USB stick in the boot.plist and had already detached it, so I got the "Still waiting for root device". However, when I re-inserted the stick, the kernel happily booted from it (try this with Windows or Linux...).

Also, as pointed out by other people, it would be great if "Default Partition" did accept a UUID as an alternative to the "hd(x,y)" syntax.

A minor thing, please do not take this as criticism, just thought maybe it is helpful as feedback it detects my DDR2-800MHz DIMMs as DDR2-667MHz. CPU clock is detected as 2.43 GHz but is actually 2.4GHz. I know I could fix all this in "smbios.plist", but who cares anyway?

Again, thanks a lot for all the hard work you put into Chameleon and congratulations on the outcome!

zhell

...CPU clock is detected as 2.43 GHz but is actually 2.4GHz. I know I could fix all this in "smbios.plist", but who cares anyway?...

dp35dp

Can you see what the frequency is displayed on the BIOS boot screen?

Can you see what the frequency is displayed on the BIOS boot screen?

Yep. It says the following:

Processor type: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.40GHz

Processor Speed: 2.40GHz

System Bus Speed: 1066MHz

System Memory Speed: 800MHz.

System Profiler displays the following:

Model Identifier: MacPro2,1

Processor Speed: 2.43GHz

Number of Processor: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache: 8MB

Memory 4GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

I think the processor speed difference could be some rounding error.

So the only thing that is really off is that it displays memory speed as 667 MHz.

Resolved. (See post further down)

I'm getting the feeling that this is the 'official' Chameleon 2.0 RC1 thread, so I'll throw this enquiry in here. If it's the wrong place, Mods please move it to wherever it best fits. Thanks.

Used the manual method and the Chameleon installer with the exact same results. When the system boots, there's a brief flash of the Chameleon bootloader before the grey screen and 'glossy' apple logo kicks in. Then the system boots to Leopard as normal.

All that's visible at the Chameleon boot screen is the chameleon graphic and some text at the top left of the screen. There's some message about Darwin but it's too quick to read. There are no boot icons at all - no icon for my Leopard installation, no icon for my Windows 7 test partition.

I haven't seen any other comments about my issue so far, so it seems to be unique to me. :thumbsup_anim:

My system is as usual in my sig.

Yep. It says the following:

Processor type: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.40GHz

Processor Speed: 2.40GHz

System Bus Speed: 1066MHz

System Memory Speed: 800MHz.

System Profiler displays the following:

Model Identifier: MacPro2,1

Processor Speed: 2.43GHz

Number of Processor: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache: 8MB

Memory 4GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

I think the processor speed difference could be some rounding error.

So the only thing that is really off is that it displays memory speed as 667 MHz.

Nothing fatal. :)

Usually it is not a bug, many mainboard slightly raise the frequency of bus.

Accordingly, all frequencies slightly shifted upwards.

Why do I see my hard drives as ejectable (like external hard disk) in pathfinder? They seem fine in hard disk. Also, after installation, I saw that booting had gone little slow. In the same vein, what was the point of including the hard drive related three kexts in the installer? Can they be replaced with what I had before?

finder_and_pathfinder.tiff

Why do I see my hard drives as ejectable (like external hard disk) in pathfinder? They seem fine in hard disk. Also, after installation, I saw that booting had gone little slow. In the same vein, what was the point of including the hard drive related three kexts in the installer? Can they be replaced with what I had before?

You miss a kext for fix this! Nothing wrong with it, is only estetic problem.

Try to look on hardware section hard disk , legacy kexts...

Yes, use the kexts that were working for you before, but you need to make an Extensions.mkext from your /Extra/Extensions and put it in /Extra/. I then moved /Extra/Extensions out of Extra but I don’t know if that was needed. Regarding the orange icon kext, change the bottom of the Info.plist of the disk-related kext(s) to “Local-Root” instead of “Root” or whatever it may be:

<key>OSBundleRequired</key>

<string>Local-Root</string>

Worked for me.

A more convenient and compatible way to install all necessary legacy kexts in a standard system directory.

The three kexts in the installer are the versions legacy kexts with the new names.

You can download the full set of legacy kexts with installer in my sig - 10.5.6 Repair Pack.

Nothing fatal. :)

Usually it is not a bug, many mainboard slightly raise the frequency of bus.

Accordingly, all frequencies slightly shifted upwards.

Thanks for the explanation.

So the only thing that seems to go wrong is the detection of the memory speed. It's also reported by another poster on Zef's blog, post# 168.

As said, not a real issue, just cosmetics.

Thanks for the explanation.

So the only thing that seems to go wrong is the detection of the memory speed. It's also reported by another poster on Zef's blog, post# 168.

As said, not a real issue, just cosmetics.

If you do not frequently change the freq in the BIOS, it is better to manually set the real value for SMmemspeed in smbios.plist.

I keep on getting:

EBIOS Read error 0x01

Block -########### Sectors 64

I am using EFI with a GA-EP35-DS4 (AHCI) with Seagate ST31500341AS (CC1H) SATA disks. I get the impression that this maybe a sector related problem maybe (LBA/Large)? Any idea as to where to look at? There isn't much of any solution around. Any ideas anyone?

Today I just installed Windows 7 beta 7068 on second HD.

Chameleon find Windows 7's main partition and "System Reserved" efi partition (like OSX does, it's about 100MB).

To boot to Windows 7, you shoud choose "System Reserved" partition!

WoW!

I will report the result if I copy all content of "System Reserved" to Windows 7's install partition.

I'm getting the feeling that this is the 'official' Chameleon 2.0 RC1 thread, so I'll throw this enquiry in here. If it's the wrong place, Mods please move it to wherever it best fits. Thanks.

Used the manual method and the Chameleon installer with the exact same results. When the system boots, there's a brief flash of the Chameleon bootloader before the grey screen and 'glossy' apple logo kicks in. Then the system boots to Leopard as normal.

All that's visible at the Chameleon boot screen is the chameleon graphic and some text at the top left of the screen. There's some message about Darwin but it's too quick to read. There are no boot icons at all - no icon for my Leopard installation, no icon for my Windows 7 test partition.

I haven't seen any other comments about my issue so far, so it seems to be unique to me. :(

My system is as usual in my sig.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Andy.

If i'm not mistaken, the bootloader is working fine for you.. you just need to change "timeout" in your com.apple.Boot.plist:

- <string></string> takes you to the boot prompt

- <string>0</string> boots the default system directly (what i think is happening to you)

- <string>5</string> gives you a 5 sec countdown (press any key to get to the boot prompt)

Hope it helps.

I keep on getting:

EBIOS Read error 0x01

Block -########### Sectors 64

I am using EFI with a GA-EP35-DS4 (AHCI) with Seagate ST31500341AS (CC1H) SATA disks. I get the impression that this maybe a sector related problem maybe (LBA/Large)? Any idea as to where to look at? There isn't much of any solution around. Any ideas anyone?

Whoa! Me too. It started after one day with everything fine. I get that error several times, and then Chameleon starts

Help am I missing something here. I am doing a fresh install using the new Chameleon Installer.

First I am loading os via terminal from working hard drive. Applying Combo-Update then installing Chameleon to the drive. Then replacing the mkext file in the extra folder on the new drive. Reboot to new drive Install just sits. I can book the same drive using a boot cd.

I guess my question is can i just replace the mkext with my prepacked one from my other working drive? Am I missing a step here?

Specs: Asus P5W DH, Q6600, 8GB Ram, xfx 9800 GT, Linkys wmp300 n wirless, focuswrite saphire audio,

Whoa! Me too. It started after one day with everything fine. I get that error several times, and then Chameleon starts

Problem with me here is that it does not start at all no matter what I do. I even reformatted the drive but still no go.

Works perfectly!

MSI WIND U-100 Luxery 2GB RAM.

- Windows XP at 1. Partition

- Mac OS X 10.5.6 from Retail (installed on extern USB-HD, copied to 2. partition with CCC)

- Ubuntu 8.10 at 3. Partition (Grub installed here - not on MBR)

- A share 4. Partition with Fat32

Booted MacOSX with Generic.iso CD and installed Chameleon 2.0RC1 per Terminal.

Chameleon detected all OS and has an nice outfit like rEFIt.

Many thanks from germany

Well, My Hackintosh was running PERFECTLY for over a year now. I just decided to install this, I used the installer, not I cannot get OSX to boot..... The last bootloader I was using was the latest version of Chameleon non GUI.... Now when I boot in verbose It stops at all of these VMNet alerts, and finally stops at Macintosh /usr/sbin/ocspd[128]: STARTING then it stops. PLEASE HELP ME!