[GUIDE] Retail OS X Install (10.5.8) on Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 (Core i7) Mobo

digital_dreamer

3,054 posts in this topic

I got the seatbelt.kext from one of your earlier posts (Feb 10 2009, 04:20 PM). I'll play around with more DMGs and update this post if I can get one to work.

You took a kext from the website when you failed to realize that your Retail setup already has the seatbelt.kext files in it. Now all you need to do is either take seatbelt.kext out of the efi partition and keep it out perminantly (until 10.5.7 which you might need it again) or you can just take the seatbelt from your retail install and put it in your efi partition (your,best bet option but I just kept seatbelt out and worried about the situation when 10.5.7 is released by backing up retail seatbelt). The only way it couldnt have worked is if the seatbelt kext was a wrong version. Somehow you messed up.

I'm also getting the sound assertion error.

Sound assertion "0 == fMikeyDriver" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 1063 goto handler

I can try updating the 1.6.2a37 3in2out audio kexts and try VMWare again and post my results. Where can I get the 1.6.2a37 3in2out audio kexts?

I believe these are found at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=140941&st=0

I will try these myself when I get home..

Well, as luck would have it, I'm no longer able to run VMware Fusion without a KP in the EFI partition install! :(

I was messing about with my bash script and failed to mount a volume before it went on attempting to copy files to it. That created a duplicate mount point in /Volumes and thoroughly confused the script later on, as it went copying various files to my active EFI partition install. I ended up with a unbooting partition.

After booting into my maintenance boot-132 install, I spent several hours trying to get it working. After having done so, I discovered I just get the typical vmnet KP with a start of the VM. Like you guys, I tried "everything." "Everything" meaning everything but the working solution, whatever that is.

Now, Fusion still works in the Boot-132 install, but I must restart the daemon to do so. I even copied the working VM Boot Camp files to my other install, but that produced no positive results.

What I think ruined the EFI boot setup for VMware was reinstalling the 10.5.6 combo update in my attempt to get it to boot.

Now, in my journey in getting the EFI boot partition working, I'm realizing there is some yet undiscovered consistent method to getting it working when something goes wrong. This is the second time this has happened, and it still takes hours to get around it. One of the issues appears to be in having the plists in binary format, instead of the flat XML text format. Why I think so is in the following boot log of a failing EFI boot install. Notice the XML parse error:

Feb 15 17:28:34 localhost kernel[0]: 64 bit mode enabled
Feb 15 17:28:34 localhost kernel[0]: rtclock_init: Taking bus ratio path 0 (Boot-time argument)
Feb 15 17:28:34 localhost kernel[0]: TSC: Reported FSB:  100.0000MHz, corrected FSB:  133.238644MHz
Feb 15 17:28:34 localhost kernel[0]: TSC: Verification of clock speed failed. Fallback correction was performed. Please upgrade bootloader.
Feb 15 17:28:34 localhost kernel[0]: TSC: Frequency =   2664.772881MHz, FSB frequency =  133.238644MHz, bus ratio = 20
Feb 15 17:28:34 localhost kernel[0]: Darwin Kernel Version 9.6.0: Wed Dec 31 00:51:24 CET 2008; Voodoo; Release 1.1 :xnu-1228.9.59-voodoo/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386
Feb 15 17:28:34 localhost kernel[0]: standard timeslicing quantum is 10000 us
Feb 15 17:28:34 localhost kernel[0]: vm_page_bootstrap: 1487553 free pages and 85311 wired pages
Feb 15 17:28:34 localhost kernel[0]: mig_table_max_displ = 79
Feb 15 17:28:34 localhost kernel[0]: Error: Couldn't read XML property list for multikext archive entry 8.
Feb 15 17:28:34 localhost kernel[0]: XML parse error: OSUnserializeXML: syntax error near line 1
Feb 15 17:28:34 localhost kernel[0]: .
Feb 15 17:28:34 localhost kernel[0]: Error: Couldn't read XML property list for multikext archive entry 12.
Feb 15 17:28:34 localhost kernel[0]: XML parse error: OSUnserializeXML: syntax error near line 1
Feb 15 17:28:34 localhost kernel[0]: Error: Couldn't read XML property list for multikext archive entry 16.
Feb 15 17:28:34 localhost kernel[0]: Error: Couldn't read XML property list for multikext archive entry 29.
Feb 15 17:28:34 localhost kernel[0]: Error: Couldn't read XML property list for multikext archive entry 34.
Feb 15 17:28:34 localhost kernel[0]: Error: Couldn't read XML property list for multikext archive entry 35.
Feb 15 17:28:34 localhost kernel[0]: Error: Couldn't read XML property list for multikext archive entry 36.
Feb 15 17:28:34 localhost kernel[0]: Skipping duplicate extension "com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily" with older/same  version (1.6.1 -> 9.9.9).
Feb 15 17:28:34 localhost kernel[0]: Skipping duplicate extension "com.apple.driver.Apple3Com3C90x" with older/same  version (1.4.0 -> 1.4.0).
Feb 15 17:28:34 localhost kernel[0]: Skipping duplicate extension "com.apple.iokit.Apple_DEC21x4Ethernet" with older/same  version (1.5.0f1 -> 1.5.0f1).
Feb 15 17:28:34 localhost kernel[0]: Skipping duplicate extension "com.apple.iokit.AppleBCM5701Ethernet" with older/same  version (2.2.3b1 -> 2.2.3b1).
Feb 15 17:28:34 localhost kernel[0]: Replacing extension "com.apple.driver.AppleIntel8254XEthernet" with newer version (2.0.2a2 -> 2.1.0a10).
Feb 15 17:28:34 localhost kernel[0]: Skipping duplicate extension "com.apple.driver.AppleIntel8255x" with older/same  version (1.4 -> 1.4).
Feb 15 17:28:34 localhost kernel[0]: Skipping duplicate extension "com.apple.driver.AppleRTL8139Ethernet" with older/same  version (1.4.1 -> 1.4.1).
Feb 15 17:28:35 localhost kernel[0]: Skipping duplicate extension "com.apple.driver.AppleRTL8169Ethernet" with older/same  version (1.0.3 -> 1.0.3).
Feb 15 17:28:35 localhost kernel[0]: Replacing extension "com.apple.driver.AppleUSBEthernet" with newer version (2.0.1b2 -> 2.0.1b15).
Feb 15 17:28:35 localhost kernel[0]: Replacing extension "com.apple.driver.AppleUSBGigEthernet" with newer version (1.1.0b8 -> 1.1.0b9).
Feb 15 17:28:35 localhost kernel[0]: Replacing extension "com.apple.iokit.AppleYukon2" with newer version (3.1.8b2 -> 3.1.10b2).

After finding and installing the original kexts with the flat XML plists, those errors when away and was able to boot. I had no idea which plists they were, except to say that when I did a few, a couple of those errors disappeared, until I finally did them all.

Additionally, I removed all the extra LAN drivers from the IONetworkingFamily.kext to eliminate those duplicate extension errors. In essence, the IONetworking.kext now behaves more like a fake plist.

Hope this info is helpful to some.

Hi DD

Just a quick question. I'm using your EFI install with perfect condition. Thanks again.

I've been using a USB HDD as my Time Machine backup.

If I want to restore the contents in the TM to other new HDD, so I intend to make perfectly the same system environment in an extra HDD. I believe I have to install a boot loader in the new HDD, right?

Then, do I just have to run your pre-patch before the restore or after the restore?

Or, any other way?

I was also wondering if I just go ahead with your guide and install the whole thing with 10.5.6 again, then when start, I can use migration?

Which way would be the safest way to restore?

Thanks...

JP

If you are using that cloned HDD on your current system that already has a installed bootloader, there would be no need to install it on this drive. You can still select that cloned partition with your current bootloader.

However, if you are installing this HDD on another system with no existing bootloader in place, then, of course, one needs to be installed.

I not really sure it makes a difference when the pre-patch is installed, but I would prefer doing it prior to the restore to make sure drive ownership is correct.

regards,

MAJ

@digital_dreamer - thank you very much for your kext bundle

i have an ex58-ud4p board and i7 920

i use ipc 10.5.6 and update the kernel and other stuff with your kexts, all things works great.

deep sleep doesnt work, but standby does

i also oc'ed my i7 to 3,6 ghz which is very stable. i also try 3,9 ghz but i got KPs several times.. maybe my vcore or other preferences are not good, for this freq.

now i got 12583 points with geekbench 64bit and 390 points with xbench without hddtest

Now, in my journey in getting the EFI boot partition working, I'm realizing there is some yet undiscovered consistent method to getting it working when something goes wrong. This is the second time this has happened, and it still takes hours to get around it. One of the issues appears to be in having the plists in binary format, instead of the flat XML text format. Why I think so is in the following boot log of a failing EFI boot install. Notice the XML parse error:

DD,

I mentioned the:

"couldn't read XML property list for multikext archive entry 12" error

in the other i7 thread and I heard crickets, tell us how to get this silly error squared away please. Maybe it has to do with wolfienuke's script? Lets try it manually, munky style.?

-mattrb

GA-EX58-Extreme:

Vmware:

vmware 2.02 on 10.5.6 works without troubles... no more restart of service is required!

FCS-2:

It runs, didn't do alot with it yet, it didn't work on the first install a month ago... but now it does

Wake:

Shutdown/Restart always works, sleep takes some time to get in sleep, after wake:

The desktop is back, the mouse can move, but the system won't continu working... it won't accept any mouse input or keyboard commands...

Overclock:

Sometimes the overclock resets back during post, but i think the bios might need some more finetuning, the system is stable with 3,9ghz and noctua double fan cooler, cannot remember type...

Like maybe some others said before, the system hasn't kernel panic-ed yet and has run quit stable.

I have a GA-X58-UD3R which I believe is really similar to yours after putting changing the SATA to AHCI like your bios picture said it booted just fine except is gave me SMC::smcSMCInABadState errors and the mouse and keyboard I uses were going wonkey ie if i pressed 1 it would come out as 111111111111 and the mouse was the same. Just wanted to put this out so anybody else who has my mobo knows that it wont work for them

I believe these are found at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=140941&st=0

I will try these myself when I get home..

Is this the right link?

You took a kext from the website when you failed to realize that your Retail setup already has the seatbelt.kext files in it. Now all you need to do is either take seatbelt.kext out of the efi partition and keep it out perminantly (until 10.5.7 which you might need it again) or you can just take the seatbelt from your retail install and put it in your efi partition (your,best bet option but I just kept seatbelt out and worried about the situation when 10.5.7 is released by backing up retail seatbelt). The only way it couldnt have worked is if the seatbelt kext was a wrong version. Somehow you messed up.

Thanks! That did it! I can mount DMGs now! !!!!

Hope this info is helpful to some.

If you are using that cloned HDD on your current system that already has a installed bootloader, there would be no need to install it on this drive. You can still select that cloned partition with your current bootloader.

However, if you are installing this HDD on another system with no existing bootloader in place, then, of course, one needs to be installed.

I not really sure it makes a difference when the pre-patch is installed, but I would prefer doing it prior to the restore to make sure drive ownership is correct.

regards,

MAJ

Thanks for kind info...I'm going to try soon.

JP

I have a GA-X58-UD3R which I believe is really similar to yours after putting changing the SATA to AHCI like your bios picture said it booted just fine except is gave me SMC::smcSMCInABadState errors and the mouse and keyboard I uses were going wonkey ie if i pressed 1 it would come out as 111111111111 and the mouse was the same. Just wanted to put this out so anybody else who has my mobo knows that it wont work for them

What kind of keyboard are you using? Were you trying a PS/2 keyboard?

regards,

MAJ

Bios F6A is out for our MOBO !

still beta

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherb...?ProductID=2958

wait and see ..........

Yay! It fixed Dynamic Energy Saver and Easy Overclock on my Vista64

They weren't working because the the hacked vista wasn't compatible with these programs. I guess Gigabyte figured out how to fix it somehow. How did they get a hacked vista disk??

I have been following this thread for a little while and almost have all my components to finish my PC. Just waiting on the processor, which will come tomorrow, and my monitor. The EX58-UD5 is so pretty, but now it is covered up with a bunch of other components.

Anyways, today I was trying to figure out what CPU cooler to get that fits well without breaking the bank. I went to Fry's Electronics and picked this one up for $39.99 on sale (reg. $49). You have to click on "Specifications" to see that it works with an i7 and socket LGA 1366, which it just got updated to do. I test fitted it and yes it fits great with a mid case and the UD5. It does not cover up the first RAM slot on this board like some other coolers do. I thought some may be interested.

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.ph...product_id=2879

MODIFYING SYSTEM INFORMATION (The following are extras and only affect system information reporting)

The boot.plist

The com.apple.boot.plist that will be installed is located in the "extra" folder. It contains extra flags identifying your Mac model and memory speed that you may want to modify based on your specifications. This data is used and reported by System Profiler and does not affect system performance in any way. The current string is set as follows (my settings):

<string>busratio=20 -v macmodel=MacPro3,1 MemSpeed=1600 MemType=DDR3</string>

The SPMachineTypes.plist

Your Mac Model Name (i.e. "Mac Pro") is based on the Model Identifier (i.e. "MacPro3,1"). See your Hardware Overview in System Profiler for an example. The list of valid Mac Model Identifiers and their corresponding marketing name is found in the SPMachineTypes.plist, located at System/Library/SystemProfiler/ SPPlatformReporter.spreporter/Contents/Resources. A copy is provided in your "extra" folder that you may modify in a text editor. The script will use this copy to replace the original. The existing model identifiers (inside key tag) should not be altered; only the model name (inside string tag). Although I'm sure you can add your own custom model identifiers, keep in mind that Software Update uses this info for updates that apply to certain models. So, if you want to be alerted to software updates that apply to Mac Pros, use a Mac Pro identifier. Likewise, if you don't want to be alerted to updates that apply only to Macbooks, don't use a Macbook identifier.

Currently, the plist contains "Hackintosh Pro" where the "Mac Pro" model name string was originally. With this change, anytime the model identifier "MacPro3,1" is called up (i.e. in System Profiler), the name "Hackintosh Pro" will be used. Feel free to change this name to your liking.

<key>MacPro3,1</key>
<string>Hackintosh Pro</string>

The AppleSystemInfo.strings

The About This Mac box uses the information from the AppleSystemInfo.strings, located at System/Library/CoreServices/Resources/English.lproj, to display the CPU information. Currently, a new install will flag the Core i7 CPU as "Unknown". The flag that produces this string is as follows:

//================================================================================
//  String used to describe a unknown processor kind.
//--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"UnknownCPUKind"	= "Unknown";

A copy of this file is provided in your "extra" folder that you may modify to indicate the proper CPU name and clock speed. The script will replace the original in your install. Do not change the "UnknownCPUKind" flag, only the "Unknown" string. The current string in the file is "3.8GHz Intel® Core™ i7 920 CPU".

RUNNING VIRTUAL MACHINES IN VMWARE FUSION

If you get the following message upon starting a VM, "VMware Fusion cannot connect to the virtual machine. Make sure you have rights to run the program and to access all directories it uses and rights to access all directories for temporary files," you need to reboot the VMware daemon using this command in Terminal:

sudo /Library/Application\ Support/VMware\ Fusion/boot.sh --restart

Or, you can simply download this Start_VMware_Fusion script that will take care of that task and launch VMware Fusion for you. This script assumes Fusion is in the main Applications folder.

If you are attempting to run Vista in VMware Fusion 2 and receive a blue screen with a "STOP 0x0000007B" message during launch, try applying the MS Hotfix for multicore-processor computer running Vista in a VM. You can get the hotfix for x64-based versions of Windows Vista here. Usual disclaimers apply.

i added the macmodel=MacPro3,1 to my boot.plist in the EFI partition but it has had no effect. any computers on my network still show the generic thumbnail instead of a mac pro, and system profiler hasn't changed. is there anything else you have to do to enable this?

Is it possible to make a disk image that already includes the kernal and kexts for the Gigabyte EX58-UD3R and the i7 920?

I understand that since it is a desktop that configs may vary, but, is there anything as straightforward as the setup was for my hackitosh wind? All i had to do was download windosx image from piratebay bay and run it... That easy.

d00000000100000002000000850000000300000002010c00d041030a0100000001010600001b7fff

40028000000500069006e0043006f006e00660069006700750072006100740069006f006e0073000

0004000000180000006c00610079006f00750074002d00690064000000080000000c000000160000

06200750069006c0074002d0069006e00000005000000003f0000000100000002010c00d041030a0

00000001010600051c0101060000007fff0400160000006200750069006c0074002d0069006e0000

Why is this efi string injected into the com.apple.boot.plist provided in the EFI Installer Zip?

How can I inject my own videocard efi string? add it to the end of the string above?

Hi! Got an EX58-UD3R which uses the same LAN chip, thogh it's got only one of them. I tried the drivers you suggested, but it's not working. if i go to Network in the System Profiler, it just says 'Built-in Serial Port(1):

Type: PPP (PPPSerial)

and so on...

I used Kalyway 10.5.2 and did the combo update to 10.5.6

Anyone an idea what could be the problem? would really like to get Network running.

Thanks in advance!

I just put all my components together and loaded XP. I inserted my retail Leopard DVD to do a vanilla install. When I press f12 and access the "boot from device" menu I can not scroll up or down. None of the buttons will work on that screen. I updated the bios and the usb keyboard works just fine in that menu, but not in the "boot from" menu. I have 3 usb keyboards and non of them work on that screen. I tried to search the web for an answer but found no one with the same problem. The only thing I can think of is trying a ps/2 keyboard but I don't have one. Any thoughts?

I tried to search the web for an answer but found no one with the same problem. The only thing I can think of is trying a ps/2 keyboard but I don't have one. Any thoughts?

Your screwed here's the link for the usb to ps/2 adapter. (10$ w/ shipping)

Your screwed here's the link for the usb to ps/2 adapter. (10$ w/ shipping)

Your shure to have enabled USB keyboard and mouse in BIOS ?

The best first result i had with iPC 10.5.6 distro.

After that I installed a disk with EFI boot retail OSX method (wolfienuke and digtal-dreamer)

Good luck

:)

Your shure to have enabled USB keyboard and mous in BIOS ?

The best first result i had with iPC 10.5.6 distro.

After that I installed a dsik with EFI boot retail OSX

Good luck

:hysterical:

Cool thanks. This is actually my first ever build too so I'm pretty much a noob. I will learn quickly.

DD,

I mentioned the:

"couldn't read XML property list for multikext archive entry 12" error

in the other i7 thread and I heard crickets, tell us how to get this silly error squared away please. Maybe it has to do with wolfienuke's script? Lets try it manually, munky style.?

-mattrb

I'm looking into this, but am currently tied up with other projects.

i added the macmodel=MacPro3,1 to my boot.plist in the EFI partition but it has had no effect. any computers on my network still show the generic thumbnail instead of a mac pro, and system profiler hasn't changed. is there anything else you have to do to enable this?

Hmmm. What does show in the System Profiler as your Mac Model?

It would appear something is overriding it. Have you used OSx86Tools in the past? It will override it until you revert to the original. Some versions of the APPLESMBIOS.kext have control of it, as well.

Do you get a "macmodel" boot argument found, Mac model set as "MacPro3,1" in the System log? Or, what do you get? The "Macbook Pro" that's embedded in Andy's kernel?

d00000000100000002000000850000000300000002010c00d041030a0100000001010600001b7fff

40028000000500069006e0043006f006e00660069006700750072006100740069006f006e0073000

0004000000180000006c00610079006f00750074002d00690064000000080000000c000000160000

06200750069006c0074002d0069006e00000005000000003f0000000100000002010c00d041030a0

00000001010600051c0101060000007fff0400160000006200750069006c0074002d0069006e0000

Why is this efi string injected into the com.apple.boot.plist provided in the EFI Installer Zip?

How can I inject my own videocard efi string? add it to the end of the string above?

I think that string came from the original script for the Gigibyte GA-P35-DS3X series of motherboards. I don't know exactly what device it was for and never did remove it. You can safely remove it. :rolleyes:

Hi! Got an EX58-UD3R which uses the same LAN chip, thogh it's got only one of them. I tried the drivers you suggested, but it's not working. if i go to Network in the System Profiler, it just says 'Built-in Serial Port(1):

Type: PPP (PPPSerial)

and so on...

I used Kalyway 10.5.2 and did the combo update to 10.5.6

Anyone an idea what could be the problem? would really like to get Network running.

Thanks in advance!

Do you have the port plugged in to a router or such? Why I mention it is that those devices won't populate the Network panel at first until they are used, after which time they will remain there until deleted. Does your BIOS detect the LAN with the SMART LAN Cable Diagnostic function?

If the hardware is okay, check the log to see if the RealtekR1000.kext is loading and why it may not be.

regards,

MAJ

I'm looking into this, but am currently tied up with other projects.

Hey Maj, any news on the VMWare front?

I've been using VirtualBox - which is a little rough round the edges - but started getting KPs at complete random times, usually when the system was pretty much idle. I'm pretty sure that VirtualBox was not responsible - but it's the only variable from my previously rock solid system so I uninstalled.

After uninstall I got another KP so I reset CMOS and I've been running without a KP for most of today. Fingers crossed that's sorted it.

:hysterical:

Hello all i just wanted to introduce my self on this board and topic. i have been following for quite some time and wehn my G4 died i said hey lets try the os86x project i got my hardware and put it together today , Ga-ex58-ud5 mobo, i7 920,nvdia 9800gtx 512mb,6gb of ddr3 cosair ram and an antec 1200 case.

and all the wonderful work you digital dram and wolf did i have been trying to meticulously go over all software needs so i can put it on tmw monday night. I am nervous i hope i have all the right pieces and i can get my new computer up and running.

i want to thank you both for this awesome guide i hope i do not have to many problems. and i works perfectly

i have one question do i need to have windows or any from of Microsoft software up and running n my build before i put the osx software on it. i hope no because i do not own any . been a mac guy for 20 years.

Thank you again

Adam