[GUIDE] Retail OS X Install (10.5.8) on Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 (Core i7) Mobo

digital_dreamer

3,054 posts in this topic

*****THIS GUIDE IS A WORK IN PROGRESS, I JUST GOT MY SYSTEM WORKING, GIVE ME A DAY OR TWO*****

My system specs:

Motherboard: GA-EX58-UD4P

Video: Zotac Geforce 7300GT

Other: Sata DVD drive, Sata II Harddrive

These are the steps I have personally taken to obtain a stable and successful install on my system.

-Bios Settings-

1. Press delete to load Bios

2. Select Integrated Peripherals

-Sata Mode: AHCI

-Sata0 - 3 Native Mode: Enabled

-Install iPC 10.5.6-

1. Boot from disc, press f8, type 'busratio=20'

2. Upon loading of install disc, use disk utility to partition and format your harddrive as GUID

3. Customize the installation by selecting the following:

Kernels: Voodoo 9.5.0

Drivers> Chipset Drivers> Intel ICH10 Sata Support

4. Install and Reboot

5. At Darwin Bootloader, press f8, type 'busratio=20'

6. Follow the onscreen instructions to setup the keyboard, user account, and whatnot. ***Be sure to create a password***

Run SlimbuildGUI-1.0

I can see where you are going. By doing iPC install and then getting boot-132 setup subsequently. That is not described though in your guide. Also, instead of boot-132, one should do dd's boot-132 efi partition boot. This works better. So do that DD thing after the iPC and then open the osinstall.pkg in the iPC. Then you are done.

Is it hanging in the iDeneb installer? Not much we can do, but it would help if you can post a picture of that log on screen.

I turned off the Gigabyte SATA controller - boots into the ideneb install now:)

Is the install drive a fresh partition, with HFS+ and Journaling enabled? Using the Options, were you able to discern it is, indeed, a GUID partition, and not Apple Partition Map (APM) or Master Boot Record (MBR)?

I am installing it on a brand new WD Velociraptor drive - Just checked again and reformatted - It matches all of the above criteria - I am installing wolfienukes's script before installing retail - Is this an issue? I tried installing yours in the order you have posted and had the same result. I am going to try a Kalyway distro on another HD to see if that makes a difference??? Thanks for the help :D

Snow anybody?

I was wondering if anybody installed the beta Snow Leopard on i7.

That is interesting to see afterall snow is for i7 right?

Thanks

Snow anybody?

I was wondering if anybody installed the beta Snow Leopard on i7.

That is interesting to see afterall snow is for i7 right?

Thanks

Ok - now I must be a dork! I re-installed my "work" drive with Kalyway 10.5.2 - No problem, boot with busratio=20 I can install retail and 10.5.6 - no errors - when I try to run either bootloader script I get "_CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35"

what am I doing wrong????? :(

I can see where you are going. By doing iPC install and then getting boot-132 setup subsequently. That is not described though in your guide. Also, instead of boot-132, one should do dd's boot-132 efi partition boot. This works better. So do that DD thing after the iPC and then open the osinstall.pkg in the iPC. Then you are done.

Are you saying my install is redundant? Is it possible to EFI boot the iPC install? In theory creating a 'Retail' clone if it was install with no options selected?

MY OTHER ISSUE!!!!!

I have 1 Hard drive.

After I installed Windows 7 (x64) on it, I then went to create a second partition to install OSx86 on. Interestingly enough, Windows 7 seems to create a 200MB partition in front of the typical 'C' partition and it is marked active.

Moving on, I created a created a partition to install OSx86 on by shrinking my 7 'C' partition.

Using Boot 132, I then booted a Retail 10.5 DVD. When I opened up Disk Utility I saw the 3 partitions, disk0s1, disk0s2, & disk0s3.

I proceeded to format disk0s3 as Mac OS (Journaled)...This is where it gets weird.

After formatting disk0s3, the disk0s1 partition disappeared.

I then rebooted to see if 7 would boot, Nothing...

What's the deal here? Is it even possible to dual boot 7 & OSx86 on a single GUID formatted drive?

fixed it - see here if you have this problem - Ok - installing wolfie's script on a fresh drive then installing off a retail dvd - let's hope :D

Ok - now I must be a dork! I re-installed my "work" drive with Kalyway 10.5.2 - No problem, boot with busratio=20 I can install retail and 10.5.6 - no errors - when I try to run either bootloader script I get "_CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35"

what am I doing wrong????? :(

Are you saying my install is redundant? Is it possible to EFI boot the iPC install? In theory creating a 'Retail' clone if it was install with no options selected?

MY OTHER ISSUE!!!!!

I have 1 Hard drive.

After I installed Windows 7 (x64) on it, I then went to create a second partition to install OSx86 on. Interestingly enough, Windows 7 seems to create a 200MB partition in front of the typical 'C' partition and it is marked active.

Moving on, I created a created a partition to install OSx86 on by shrinking my 7 'C' partition.

Using Boot 132, I then booted a Retail 10.5 DVD. When I opened up Disk Utility I saw the 3 partitions, disk0s1, disk0s2, & disk0s3.

I proceeded to format disk0s3 as Mac OS (Journaled)...This is where it gets weird.

After formatting disk0s3, the disk0s1 partition disappeared.

I then rebooted to see if 7 would boot, Nothing...

What's the deal here? Is it even possible to dual boot 7 & OSx86 on a single GUID formatted drive?

That 200MB partition created by Win 7 was likely the EFI partition. That's the same partition Intel Macs create, except it's not visible in Disk Utility. The EFI partition is usually diskXs1, so that's would explain why it disappeared after you formated disk0s3.

If you did "diskutil list" in the Terminal, it would list the drives and partitions, including EFI partition, which is always diskXs1. So, don't mess with diskXs1 on any drive. The 200MB size should have been the tell-tale sign.

Dual booting on multiple partitions is possible, just a bit tricky. How are you booting or changing OSs, anyway? With the Darwin bootloader (boot-132)? Windows Vista has it's own partition selector to boot from, which you can use to boot into OS X, so I assume 7 does as well. There's also the grub bootloader (linux) and EasyBCD.

Search the forums for the topics, like in the Windows forum.

regards,

MAJ

You guys rock! I followed the guide and it worked to a T... I have to admit the requirement of a working version of the operating system threw me for a loop for a while. I'm thinking the chicken and egg problem. How can I use this method if I have to have a working install. After reading it for the 10th time it finally dawned on me that any working version (i.e. another computer was good enough) I happen to have an old running hackintosh right next to the new one. I installed everything per the tutorial on my spare machine and stuck the newly created disk into my new EX58 based machine and it worked first boot!

thanks again!

I have a quick question for you overclocking guys. I tried overclocking my system just a little to 3.2ghz, but the temp shoots up to 80 on all of the cores as soon as I start doing anything even mildy taxing. I saw a lot of people saying I shouldn't let the temp get over 70, but I just saw digital dreamers pics, and his cores are at 89 or so after 5 hours of crunching. Am I missing something? Thanks in advance for any info. ALEX

Those are valid concerns, especially if you're coming from OC dual core. But, those high temps are with a single silent 65CFM fan running at 1500RPM inside the case on a quad core. The real telling feature is that at those temps it is stable on air! If I install a higher CFM fan or dual fan setup (which is on my list), the temps will be lower. When I lowered the vCore voltage to 1.375, my max temps were around 10°C lower (80°C), but I could only run Prime95 for about 45-minutes before a KP. Higher voltage moves more current, which, in turn, creates more heat, as heat is a by-product of power. The Core i7 appears to be pretty resistant to thermal breakdown, particularly with its built-in thermal throttling. Maximum allowed temperature for Core i7 is 100°C (TJMax). If it heats up more, the CPU will enable thermal throttling, i.e. the Vcore and clock frequency multiplier will be forced down to 12x. This feature protects the processor die against dangerous overheating.

It is strongly advised that if you're overclocking, to upgrade the stock cooler, as that cooler isn't really designed to dissipate that much heat that quickly.

See the following links:

Intel Core i7 920 Overclocking and Heat by hardocp.com plus related forum thread.

Intel Core i7 - 920 (Nehalem) Processor bycpu3d.com

regards,

MAJ

You guys rock! I followed the guide and it worked to a T... I have to admit the requirement of a working version of the operating system threw me for a loop for a while. I'm thinking the chicken and egg problem. How can I use this method if I have to have a working install. After reading it for the 10th time it finally dawned on me that any working version (i.e. another computer was good enough) I happen to have an old running hackintosh right next to the new one. I installed everything per the tutorial on my spare machine and stuck the newly created disk into my new EX58 based machine and it worked first boot!

thanks again!

Welcome to the forums!

Yes, it is a bit of a paradox to have to have a OS X installed to install OS X. But, the general premise is to install OS X using an easy, known-to-work method, then from that perform a more complex install.

If we (read: anyone) can create a working Boot-132 ISO that's simple enough for anyone to use and install the Retail DVD, that would be great. Better yet, would be to have the installer scripts in this thread available on the ISO to finish up with.

regards,

MAJ

That 200MB partition created by Win 7 was likely the EFI partition. That's the same partition Intel Macs create, except it's not visible in Disk Utility. The EFI partition is usually diskXs1, so that's would explain why it disappeared after you formated disk0s3.

If you did "diskutil list" in the Terminal, it would list the drives and partitions, including EFI partition, which is always diskXs1. So, don't mess with diskXs1 on any drive. The 200MB size should have been the tell-tale sign.

Dual booting on multiple partitions is possible, just a bit tricky. How are you booting or changing OSs, anyway? With the Darwin bootloader (boot-132)? Windows Vista has it's own partition selector to boot from, which you can use to boot into OS X, so I assume 7 does as well. There's also the grub bootloader (linux) and EasyBCD.

Search the forums for the topics, like in the Windows forum.

regards,

MAJ

Currently I am not 'changing' OS's.

I installed EFI Vanilla OSx86 and then installed Windows 7. Windows 7 would boot if it's partition was marked active but not OSx86's. I was daring and booted OSx86 via a Boot 321 disc and attempted to reinstall the EFI partition. However this time it was the opposite, if the Windows partition was marked active it wouldn't boot.

can someone say - "yes" this is the right way :thumbsup_anim:

1 - Install Kalyway on seperate "utility disk"

2 - Once Kalyway is installed install wolfienuke's bootloader script to disk "2"

3 - install retail dvd to disk "2"

boot from disk "2"

should work right? My bios is v4 - latest for the Gigabyte x58 extreme...am I missing something in my bios? Set to AHCI

can someone say - "yes" this is the right way :thumbsup_anim:

1 - Install Kalyway on seperate "utility disk"

2 - Once Kalyway is installed install wolfienuke's bootloader script to disk "2"

3 - install retail dvd to disk "2"

boot from disk "2"

should work right? My bios is v4 - latest for the Gigabyte x58 extreme...am I missing something in my bios? Set to AHCI

1. Install Kalyway or iPC.

2. Use 'Slimboot GUI' to create a 'Boot 132' disc utilizing the kernel, kexts, & plist from 'GA-EX58-UD5_Kexts.zip' located on the front page.

3. Use the disc you created to boot a retail Leopard DVD, install it, and use boot 132 disc again to boot your install

4. Run Wolfienuke's bootloader script

I'll give it a shot - I tried a restore cd from a new MBP unibody - I had to use this version to get my P5N7A board up and running

i thought this kext only existed in snow leo. in snow you have to remove it so your system will boot. worth a shot

1. Install Kalyway or iPC.

2. Use 'Slimboot GUI' to create a 'Boot 132' disc utilizing the kernel, kexts, & plist from 'GA-EX58-UD5_Kexts.zip' located on the front page.

3. Use the disc you created to boot a retail Leopard DVD, install it, and use boot 132 disc again to boot your install

4. Run Wolfienuke's bootloader script

why would he need to do step 2 and 3 when he could just do step 1 and 4 and install leopard using kalyway or ipc?

why would he need to do step 2 and 3 when he could just do step 1 and 4 and install leopard using kalyway or ipc?

If the goal is to have a true 'Vanilla' install, how could you install iPC or Kalyway and boot it because to achieve true vanilla you can't install an alternative kernel or kext's which are needed to boot.

Am I right?

Weird - up and running now -_- I am fine on my 8800GT - has anyone had any luck with a GTX295 or GTX260? either card will hang the system just before booting to video.

How about "macmodel boot argument not found"?

or "default memory detect 400 mhz"? Running 6gb's of OCZ Reaper HPC 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 15000) <h3></h3>

I am having a tough time getting my Zotac 256mb 7300 GT to have Hardware acceleration.

If I'm doing the EFI Partition method, should I simply copy and past edit the efistrings.txt file with the long numbers osx86 tools generates?

Also is it possible to use 9.6.0 Voodoo with EFI partition boot? The one provided is 9.5.0

I am having a tough time getting my Zotac 256mb 7300 GT to have Hardware acceleration.

If I'm doing the EFI Partition method, should I simply copy and past edit the efistrings.txt file with the long numbers osx86 tools generates?

Also is it possible to use 9.6.0 Voodoo with EFI partition boot? The one provided is 9.5.0

If I apply an EFI string and update to Voodoo 9.6.0 I get stuck on

uuid of on-disk kernel (/mach_kernel) does not match current running kernel

while trying to boot

Weird - up and running now :P I am fine on my 8800GT - has anyone had any luck with a GTX295 or GTX260? either card will hang the system just before booting to video.

How about "macmodel boot argument not found"?

or "default memory detect 400 mhz"? Running 6gb's of OCZ Reaper HPC 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 15000) <h3></h3>

Try adding your specs into the Boot.plist, like so:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>busratio=20 macmodel=MacPro3,1 MemSpeed=1600 MemType=DDR3</string>

If I apply an EFI string and update to Voodoo 9.6.0 I get stuck on

while trying to boot

A good practice is to only make one major change to your system to verify it works, then move to the next change.

In this case, we don't know which of the two changes are the problem, or both.

I'd remove the EFI string, for now, and concentrate the the kernel update. Make sure you have the updated System.kext installed.

regards,

MAJ