[GUIDE] Retail OS X Install (10.5.8) on Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 (Core i7) Mobo

digital_dreamer

3,054 posts in this topic

L3B3R : I havent used the PC EFI method, i used the EFI Partition method which doesnt involve using PC EFI bootloader.

Sorry. You said thanks to digital_dreamer so I assumed you used his script, not wolfienuke's.

Double click the install.command and to set up the EFI Partition for the first time you need to select Install when it prompts you, not Update. When I loaded using wolf's script I got that bug where the internal drives appear to be external drives as they are a different icon. digital_dreamer's method didn't have that problem.

Yeah i choose "install" even if "update" was in bold, install went successfully but after installed osx on the partition and restarted it keeps stucking at "waiting for root device", dunno why ;)

Yeah i choose "install" even if "update" was in bold, install went successfully but after installed osx on the partition and restarted it keeps stucking at "waiting for root device", dunno why :(

I don't know either. I had that problem but digital_dreamer told me to make sure that I selected "Install" rather than "Update". I did that and then it worked.

Have you tried this extension fix? See what it does. I need feedback on this issue. First time I've heard of this issue crop with the extensions included.

After whan j'm install IONetworkingFamily.kext j'v got the same problem: http://basshead.wordpress.com/2008/06/24/l...urces-progress/

- Lost internet connection (j'm using ethernet connection with DHCP)

- system hang on when go to System Preferences->Network

- much more _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35 in Console

My hardware configuration:

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5

Intel i7 i920

Kingston 6GB DDR3 (3x2GB)

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-216D Firmware Revision: 1.07

NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX 1GB

2 HDD GUID Partition (first Kalyway 10.5.2 | ATA, second empty | SATA2)

Now, i'm install fresh Kalyway without any new kext, and currently j don't have any _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35 in Console

OMG my headake..... Sorry 4 my english

digital_dreamer thank you 4 help -> u r my mentor

--------------------------------------------EDIT------------------------------------------------

When j install kext 4 graphic board "CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35 in Console" back....

Installation via: http://aquamac.proboards106.com/index.cgi?...&thread=528

http://aquamac.proboards106.com/index.cgi?...&thread=509

Installation via digital_dreamer script -> see first post... ;)

Yertil,

At what point does this KP occur? Is it random or during any particular activity?

What speed is your DDR3 RAM good for and what is the BIOS set for?

regards,

MAJ

ok the kp can happen really @ any point! i did realize i freeze when trying to turn off airport not sure if it is related. ill have to check the ram i believe it said 1600 in the bios? but not 100% sure. i am @ work right now

I don't know either. I had that problem but digital_dreamer told me to make sure that I selected "Install" rather than "Update". I did that and then it worked.

Do i need to remove the original IOAHCIFamily.kext after installation ? (as MAJ say in his original post the "... Updated script to fix some errors, removed IOAHCIFamily.kext which caused waiting for root errors,... " and there is no post-install patch using the EFI Partition method.)

The only real difference between our systems is that I am running f3. I really don't know if this would make a difference though. What firmware are you running digital_dreamer?

I'm currently on F6a. Not really pleased with any of the BIOS updates after F4, as it ruins your OC ability. 3.8GHz is no longer stable on my setup. Couldn't even boot until I backed the bclk down to 190 and used the max 20 multiplier. But, any real stress, like prime95, will KP. So, I'm back to 3.2GHz. The real kicker is that reverting back to the older BIOS (F4) doesn't help. I'm not the only one with that issue, as I've seen other reports of the same behavior on the Gigabyte forums.

<snip>

I can go straight after wolfienuke method without doing digital_dreamer method first? wolfienuke seems too deceptively simple.

Yes, one method is not necessary before the other. They are both stand-alone and independent. Choose one based on comfort level or desired result. Don't be fooled by wolfienuke's "simple" script. It's incredibly complex and does a lot of work under the hood, so you don't have to.

"Install PC-EFI bootloader (pre-patch)?" why is default NO?

I selected 'y' it thought about it for a bit and posted some messages, then said SUCCESSFUL

"Make this drive active" here default is NO. maybe they are just trying to be safe. but again, I enter 'y'.

x58_patcher.sh: line 321 logs/install.log: no such file or directory

As already mentioned, the pre-patch and all the following, except for the post-patch, are usually executed just once, so the default is "no" for those. And, as you run the post-patch most of the time through the life of your install, that default is "Yes."

I've changed that implementation now, where you can select a "Full install sequence" or just select the available options. After bug testing, I'll upload it later this week.

"0 alias CPU lines were discovered and removed"

Wow, that's in red, wonder if red means something bad happened?

Oops! No worries there. Nothing happened, except it wasn't supposed to display that text if it was "0". It's been fixed. The Gigabyte boards don't really need that feature, but it checks for it in case it's run on a ASUS board or equivalent.

OK File Permissions repaired. Shutting down and rebooting...

Mac gives a message about updating boot caches.

Shutdown completes, I remove Leopard retail DVD and original kaly HDD, to boot purely from the new SSD.

Seems to reboot itself twice. OK I read that this is normal for Gigabyte cold start.

Gets to com_psystar_RealtekR1000: ethernet

...and hangs there.

If there are booting issues after running any of these scripts, mine or wolfienuke's, it's most likely a video card issue, as that's basically the only issue that's different on each of the users system that can bring it down. In fact, as mentioned in the tutorial, all that's really needed for a boot is the demos.kext and Voodoo kernel.

In my testing, I can probably run my script 20-30 times in a day, checking for various conditions and variables. When things go wrong, it can really wreck havoc on my install. Ouch.

In other words, I only put on Kaly so I could install a retail 10.5.6 on the second disk, then hand that disk over to wolfienuke. I guess even the purified instructions at the top of this thread are too confusing for me.

Yep, you got it.

So from wolfienuke's page, I download EFI Boot Installer click download arrow.

When it says "would you like increase kext version numbers" I am not sure what this means; I took the default 'n'.

Using the included kexts, you shouldn't have to worry about the version numbers, as they are already bumped up. However, if you were to add your own selection of kexts, you'd want to increase the version numbers, if they are duplicates of what's already in the main install system directory. Why? We want the kexts installed on the EFI partition by wolfienuke's script to have priority over the ones in the main install, and we do that by giving it a version number higher that those. Since we don't want to go through all the work of examining what all those version numbers are, we just bump them up to some max number "999.9.9" or "9.9.9" When the system boots, it will load, for example, IONetworkingFamily.kext from EFI partition. Along the way it will also see another IONetworkingFamily.kext in the main install directory. It, then, compares version numbers and uses the latest one.

I mean the goal of this genius bar post is that you only need to read the first two posts and someone of moderate technical skill can get it working. I don't mean at all to criticize you. The first two posts are full of stuff where experts talk to experts, and not a simple "here is how EFI works and the goal for how your boot disk will be partitioned and operate" followed by a "follow these 4 steps". Maybe move all the expert stuff to end of post #2.

A lot of the reason why there isn't a full explanation of the process is because these procedures have been explained in detail a number of times in other posts, posts that are referenced in the tutorials. It's generally assumed that the user is familiar with the process and goals, and the scripts just make easy work of it.

I believe that the things you mentioned are not default because you are only going to do a pre-patch once (hopefully). After that, you can add kexts or edit your .plist, and then run the script again to update the info, rather than patching again. Correct me if I am wrong.

Correct!

I think, but have not confirmed, that there is a issue with using the Terminal to write certain plists. I've observed that when I use the Terminal to write to a plist (defaults write....), it will write it out in binary form, not the original XML format. This shouldn't be a problem most of the time, but I suspect there are still a few kexts that the system expects to read in XML. So, when you use the script to change, say, the version numbers, it writes out all the plists in binary. When the system boots and can't read some of those binary plists, it halts. I think this is where our problem lies. But, I need to do a bunch of tests to confirm this.

If this is, indeed, the problem, and you're experiencing issues with booting from EFI partition, try downloading wolfienuke's installer again for a fresh copy. Run the installer with "Install" not "Update" without making any changes to version numbers. Hope that works.

ok the kp can happen really @ any point! i did realize i freeze when trying to turn off airport not sure if it is related. ill have to check the ram i believe it said 1600 in the bios? but not 100% sure. i am @ work right now

I suspect the issue is with the BIOS running a higher RAM speed than spec. Seems to be the only thing related to random KP. You could try re-seating all your RAM, too.

I suspect the issue is with the BIOS running a higher RAM speed than spec. Seems to be the only thing related to random KP. You could try re-seating all your RAM, too.

i have tried moving them to different slots i will try again as well from the pic of the panic if you can tell my mouse pointer was by the airport that is when it crashed i am going to try to install and delete some kernels and kext tonight my buddy copy838 gave my some awesome info

thanks guys i let you know what goes on tonight

Hey MAJ (DD),

I cannot use Time Machine. Everything else on my system has been running flawlessly for weeks and I have just tried to see if Time Machine works but it does not. I get an error saying "Network Interface not found". I really want to be able to use time machine. How did you get yours working or is there a fix? I am using the efi partition.

Thanks!!

So from wolfienuke's page, I download EFI Boot Installer click download arrow.

When it says "would you like increase kext version numbers" I am not sure what this means; I took the default 'n'.

Dont do this increase kext version stuff, it clearly caused my computer to not work. It is unnecessary and you will have messed up the kexts. Do it manually if you want to increase the kexts.

help me please its my 10th install using Wolfie script but i still get "still waiting for root device" on first boot after creating the efi partition, rebooting and installing osx from dvd image :blink::(:(:( i tried to delete manually the IOAHCIFamily.kext from the /Library/Extension directory but same {censored}. I dont know what to do :wub:

EDIT : For info, my disk where the efi partition is and where the retail osx will be installed in partitionned in 1 partition in Guid.

Also weird thing, in the bios screen you showed on first page you can see "Enabled" under SATA Raid/AHCI Setting but on my F4 Bios i only have these options : disabled, raid, ahci. Its on disabled for now. What to choose ?

Thanks in advance,

Thomas.

help me please its my 10th install using Wolfie script but i still get "still waiting for root device" on first boot after creating the efi partition, rebooting and installing osx from dvd image :thumbsup_anim::(:whistle::( i tried to delete manually the IOAHCIFamily.kext from the /Library/Extension directory but same {censored}. I dont know what to do :)

EDIT : For info, my disk where the efi partition is and where the retail osx will be installed in partitionned in 1 partition in Guid.

Also weird thing, in the bios screen you showed on first page you can see "Enabled" under SATA Raid/AHCI Setting but on my F4 Bios i only have these options : disabled, raid, ahci. Its on disabled for now. What to choose ?

Thanks in advance,

Thomas.

You want to use the AHCI setting. The Apple drivers work with that setup.

Thanks for the heads up on the screenshot (it's actually a virtual BIOS on a webpage). I'll change it to better reflect the correct option.

The IOAHCIFamily.kext isn't likely the problem. You can run your system without the patched one. It will just use a default AHCI driver, instead of the Intel ICH10-R device driver. But, you do need the original vanilla version, at the very least.

Remember, the only files you actually need to boot your system is the dsmos.kext, plus Voodoo kernel and its matching System.kext. The other files can't be stopping the boot process. It's got to be some other setting overlooked.

Set your BIOS for AHCI and re-download the EFI files and "Install".

hobes270,

Here's the IONetworkingFamily.kext I'm using for the EFI boot. (wolfienuke probably doesn't have his updated, I guess.) It's has the TM fix. I also stripped out all the other drivers, so it just has the RealTekR1000.kext.

regards,

MAJ

I said this a while back and it was mentioned in other posts. Sorry, I should have mentioned it again. AHCI for the win.

:hysterical:;)

hey guys i just thought i would say i finally fCking did it after 10 re installs alot of searching and reading and encouragement from a friend in the far east. i got my computer running and know it is time for the tweaking !

thank you all for the info and the help

a

i spoke to soon after an hour i got another voodoo panic kernel!

which leads to my next question is there a way to force all kexts to load.

i tried with os86 tools but never got a prompt where i could do it.

thanks in advance

Hi DD

Right now, we have a way to install ATI HD 4850/4870 which I've been waiting for like many other here.

We see the install files from ATI Driver thread.

If we want to install this under your guided system, can just follow the 4800 driver install as in a form of pkg file.

Would it override your graphic driver in the system which is HD 3870?

Or do we have to find a kext file for 4870 or 4850, and put it in your folder?

Thanks for reviewing this message and Thanks as always!

JP

You want to use the AHCI setting. The Apple drivers work with that setup.

Thanks for the heads up on the screenshot (it's actually a virtual BIOS on a webpage). I'll change it to better reflect the correct option.

The IOAHCIFamily.kext isn't likely the problem. You can run your system without the patched one. It will just use a default AHCI driver, instead of the Intel ICH10-R device driver. But, you do need the original vanilla version, at the very least.

Remember, the only files you actually need to boot your system is the dsmos.kext, plus Voodoo kernel and its matching System.kext. The other files can't be stopping the boot process. It's got to be some other setting overlooked.

Set your BIOS for AHCI and re-download the EFI files and "Install".

regards,

MAJ

Okay so i need to put the SATA RAID/AHCI Setting to AHCI and the SATA IDE Mode to AHCI too ? And what about the disk plugging to the mobo ? I have pluggged my disks to two of the (intel) blue sata connectors and the optical drive to the on of the (jmicron if im guessing good) white ports. Is that setup okay ?

Hi DD

Right now, we have a way to install ATI HD 4850/4870 which I've been waiting for like many other here.

If we want to install this under your guided system, can just follow the 4800 driver install as in a form of pkg file.

JP

I have a Gainward 4850 Golden sample 512Mo and it is working with 1 DVi-VGA adapter in DVI 2°port and the DVI cable in 1° port to my LCD screen.

I have full support on all screen definitions and QE/CI and even ATI display app and pref pane (4.5.9) are working !

No 4800 kext in system only de Netkas.pkgs and Natit_with_4850_bios_inside.pkg

I'd to reboot several times with bootflag - f in vga mode to get it allwright

Don't think this install overides 3870 support because they will be in 10.5.7 !

Thanks very much to Netkas !

:(

Verifying DMI pooldata:

This is as far as I get too. I have not clicked into the selected Hard Disk preceded by a plus yet. I have told it in CMOS to boot from the third drive as the first drive, so maybe I have done this? I have also tried burning a Kalyway DVD. But nothing is happening at all. I will post a screen shot of the Kalyway DVD in case I Misunderstood something.

You already figured out a workaround...

The gigabyte board somehow not always finds the right disk to boot from...

pressing F12 during Post and select the disk manually

"press on the harddisk menu with +" it opens and you can select between drives...

if your harddisk was attached to the jmicron controller make sure its connected on the port closest to the "print"

the port on top of it doesn't boot / work in osx,

I envy you that you have found a work around. It seems I can pop into BIOS and CMOS and all of that, but I will try it exactly as you suggest next.

ADDED EDIT: I just tried this method and it is still pooling. No change at all.

The SAta/eSata drive I have is plugged into the MOBO on a SATA controller (Intel blue) so it should be seen as an internal drive. The CMOS value suggests that this is true.

The Manual says this board needs to have it's SATA turned on first and I cant boot past the Bios no matter what. I cannot reformat my disks and I cannot do anything. The eSata/Sata hookup does have a running copy of Leopard that I just cloned from one of my G4 backup drives. I partitioned the drive as GUID first of course. I cant boot from it on a non Intel Mac, but this should work, shouldn't it?

I am attaching a screenshot of how my Kalyway DVD looks (Finally burned it). I am also booting with this DVD in my CD drive (DVD drive actually). Is part of my all new set up so naturally it is SATA as well. I am not getting beyond the "Verifying DMI pooldata: ... " screen no matter what I do. The Kalyway DVD is not appearing to do anything so far.

Scratching my head and getting a little impatient here to get past the starting gate.

Thanks.

digital_dreamer really appreciate your detailed response. If there is anything in my long post that might change post #1 or post #2 that is what really matters. I tried changing from an ATI 3870 to an nVidia 8800 now.

You mentioned that your CPU/mobo has become less overclockable. There are some who feel that the characteristics of electronic devices change over time. I'm not personally convinced of this but, perhaps we could all agree that capacitors change over time: they can die! There are some that feel that overclocked CPUs burn out. And some feel that they burn in. Anyway I just though I should put that log on the fire in addition to your theory that upgrading to F5 then downgrading to F4 leaves you with a less overclockable system.

Now, it sounds like I can skip right to post #2 and only use that. I guess I'm looking for post #2 to have instructions like the following. But these turn out to be wrong and may characterize my deep confusion. Which seems to kick in around step 5 or 6. How do I get the retail DVD to install; do I do that before or after the wolfienuke script. Even though my BIOS is set correctly, I can't seem to get the machine to say "press any key to boot from CD". The only time I got to run the install was when I mixed in your script, that managed to invoke the install, but I believe I have been told I can run wolfienuke post #2 right out of the gate. Can't figure out WTF I'm doing wrong.

1. You will need

- PC with GA-EX58-UD5 motherboard. The script can work with other motherboards, you can use different kext/boot.plist/kext.

- two hard disks

- any old Kalyway or other distro that you can get to run

- Leopard retail DVD 10.5.0 or 10.5.6

- wolfienuke script

2. Set your BIOS up like in the blue image in post #1.

3. Install Kalyway or other distro to get your computer to boot off it

4. Using the running OS X, use Disk Manager to format the second disk.

- Be sure to use GUID.

- Mixed case is incompatible with Adobe software.

- Use journalled, except in the case of an SSD.

5. Run the wolfienuke script and point it at the newly formatted second disk

6. Insert the retail OS X DVD, reboot, and install onto the second disk

- You might want to customize the install to install fewer languages and fewer printer drivers.

7. Remove the DVD and the original hard drive and boot purely off the second disk

How do I get the retail DVD to install; do I do that before or after the wolfienuke script. Even though my BIOS is set correctly, I can't seem to get the machine to say "press any key to boot from CD". The only time I got to run the install was when I mixed in your script, that managed to invoke the install, but I believe I have been told I can run wolfienuke post #2 right out of the gate. Can't figure out WTF I'm doing wrong.

You need to install OS X from a retail ISO and not by rebooting.

First make an ISO of the install DVD using Disc Utility then follow:

1. Mount Retail DVD ISO.
  2. In Terminal: open "/Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg"
If you are not able to access directory via Terminal:
  3. In Terminal: defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
  4. In Terminal: killall Finder
  5. Now, dig down to System/Installation/Packages via Finder
  6. Double-click OSInstall.mpkg in Finder
  7. To hide files in Finder again, in Terminal: defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE )
  8. Install OS X to desired drive.
  9. If needed/desired, mount Combo Updater and install, as well

This is as far as I get too. I have not clicked into the selected Hard Disk preceded by a plus yet. I have told it in CMOS to boot from the third drive as the first drive, so maybe I have done this? I have also tried burning a Kalyway DVD. But nothing is happening at all. I will post a screen shot of the Kalyway DVD in case I Misunderstood something.

I envy you that you have found a work around. It seems I can pop into BIOS and CMOS and all of that, but I will try it exactly as you suggest next.

The SAta/eSata drive I have is plugged into the MOBO on a SATA controller (Intel blue) so it should be seen as an internal drive. The CMOS value suggests that this is true.

The Manual says this board needs to have it's SATA turned on first and I cant boot past the Bios no matter what. I cannot reformat my disks and I cannot do anything. The eSata/Sata hookup does have a running copy of Leopard that I just cloned from one of my G4 backup drives. I partitioned the drive as GUID first of course. I cant boot from it on a non Intel Mac, but this should work, shouldn't it?

I am attaching a screenshot of how my Kalyway DVD looks (Finally burned it). I am also booting with this DVD in my CD drive (DVD drive actually). Is part of my all new set up so naturally it is SATA as well. I am not getting beyond the "Verifying DMI pooldata: ... " screen no matter what I do. The Kalyway DVD is not appearing to do anything so far.

Scratching my head and getting a little impatient here to get past the starting gate.

Thanks.

Hi Zorro,

Looking at the image you posted, it seems you just dumped the files onto a DVD? If so you need to burn the DVD specifing "Burn from Image" as an ISO file is an imgage of a DVD.

What you should see when you place the DVD in a working machine, is the same as a retail install DVD, a window should automaticaly pop up with a button to install OS X.

Great thread, went out and purchased all my hardware per this thread so I could follow the path already blazed! Gigabyte UD5, i7 core 920, EVGA Nvidia 9800GTX+. Only difficulty I'm having is using any of a) iAtkos 5.5i, :) iPC 10.5.6 DL, c) Kalyway to create the first working OSX install! Kalyway and iPC DVDs basically won't load, panic out on me during load. iAtkos will load and run the install, but I have no idea which choices to make off the customize screen, and then which boot switches to specify for the new install on HD to run correctly. Any help in knowing which customization options to select from iAtkos and/or boot switches like busratio=20 are needed would be much appreciated!

Hi Zorro,

Looking at the image you posted, it seems you just dumped the files onto a DVD? If so you need to burn the DVD specifing "Burn from Image" as an ISO file is an imgage of a DVD.

What you should see when you place the DVD in a working machine, is the same as a retail install DVD, a window should automatically pop up with a button to install OS X.

Yes, that is actually very good news. I just had a friend talk me through that understanding on the way home from work. Yes I did not understand how a DMG/ISO file worked. I guess I will end up writing the first idiots guide to the Hackingtosh. Really, I Have not built any PC before so this is fun - not intimidated in the least, and yet, not understanding how to do something has been slow going.

Yes, I Had a DVD burned after I simply dragged the IMG file to "BURN" and burned it. Now I drag the ISO file (Kalyway) onto the left pane of the disk utility, pop in a blank DVD, and hit burn. And we are off to the races.

Oh boy, wouldn't it be cool if later tonight I actually have a working Vunderkind Mac.

Ya, i7, ya, stripped drives, ya 6 gigs Ram - you?. OMG OMG OMG OMG. ;):) :)

Hi DD

JP

There's no graphics driver in the download, but the natit.kext and other injectors will have to be updated with the new device IDs for the 48XX series cards. Until they are updated, they are pretty useless.

Okay so i need to put the SATA RAID/AHCI Setting to AHCI and the SATA IDE Mode to AHCI too ? And what about the disk plugging to the mobo ? I have pluggged my disks to two of the (intel) blue sata connectors and the optical drive to the on of the (jmicron if im guessing good) white ports. Is that setup okay ?

If you have the on-board Gigabyte SATA controller enabled (JMicron), then the optical drive should work. However, if I were you, I wouldn't use the white ports and just stick with the blue SATA ports (Intel ACH10R) - fewer problems. Just use the white ports when you run out of the blue.

Thanks.

As you have gotten your answer by now, that DVD setup will not work. Nope, nope, nope. The ISO is to be burned as is, not as a file.

This is what I always suggest: Do your homework before taking the quiz and you'll save yourself a lot of frustration.

digital_dreamer really appreciate your detailed response. If there is anything in my long post that might change post #1 or post #2 that is what really matters. I tried changing from an ATI 3870 to an nVidia 8800 now.

You mentioned that your CPU/mobo has become less overclockable. There are some who feel that the characteristics of electronic devices change over time. I'm not personally convinced of this but, perhaps we could all agree that capacitors change over time: they can die! There are some that feel that overclocked CPUs burn out. And some feel that they burn in. Anyway I just though I should put that log on the fire in addition to your theory that upgrading to F5 then downgrading to F4 leaves you with a less overclockable system.

Now, it sounds like I can skip right to post #2 and only use that. I guess I'm looking for post #2 to have instructions like the following. But these turn out to be wrong and may characterize my deep confusion. Which seems to kick in around step 5 or 6. How do I get the retail DVD to install; do I do that before or after the wolfienuke script. Even though my BIOS is set correctly, I can't seem to get the machine to say "press any key to boot from CD". The only time I got to run the install was when I mixed in your script, that managed to invoke the install, but I believe I have been told I can run wolfienuke post #2 right out of the gate. Can't figure out WTF I'm doing wrong.

1. You will need

- PC with GA-EX58-UD5 motherboard. The script can work with other motherboards, you can use different kext/boot.plist/kext.

- two hard disks

- any old Kalyway or other distro that you can get to run

- Leopard retail DVD 10.5.0 or 10.5.6

- wolfienuke script

2. Set your BIOS up like in the blue image in post #1.

3. Install Kalyway or other distro to get your computer to boot off it

4. Using the running OS X, use Disk Manager to format the second disk.

- Be sure to use GUID.

- Mixed case is incompatible with Adobe software.

- Use journalled, except in the case of an SSD.

5. Run the wolfienuke script and point it at the newly formatted second disk

6. Insert the retail OS X DVD, reboot, and install onto the second disk

- You might want to customize the install to install fewer languages and fewer printer drivers.

7. Remove the DVD and the original hard drive and boot purely off the second disk

You won't be able to boot from the DVD because it will be running the on-DVD vanilla OS. Come on guys!

The instructions point to how you can launch the internal OS X installer on the DVD without being forced to restart. Install from the Kalyway distro or whatever you got running.

regards,

MAJ