[GUIDE] Retail OS X Install (10.5.8) on Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 (Core i7) Mobo

digital_dreamer

3,054 posts in this topic

I'm trying to get it so post 2 (or this post #301) contains everything you need. For example post #2 doesn't mention 'open "/Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg"'. So, something I am uniquely qualified to write...

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Wolfienuke Boot-132 Install on Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 (Core i7) Mobo

1. Prepare your hardware

- PC with GA-EX58-UD5 motherboard. The script can work with other motherboards, you can use different kext/boot.plist/kext

- suggest to use the motherboards 6 blue SATA plugs before using the 4 white ones

- two hard disks

- if you're really lazy, there may be some graphics cards that just work with wolfienuke+10.5.6

2. Prepare your software

- any old Kalyway or other distro that you can get to run

- Leopard retail DVD 10.5.0 or 10.5.6: download it from p2p, or better, buy it then use disk utility to create a .dmg file

- wolfienuke script from http://idisk.mac.com/wolfienuke-Public?view=web which includes GFXUtil. Depending on your graphics card you probably need GFXutil; see http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,64.0.html

- If you are using 10.5.0 leopard DVD, download the combo update to 10.5.6 from Apple

- You can use another computer to put all this on a USB dongle (8GB or larger).

3. Set up your BIOS like in the blue image in post #1.

4. Install Kalyway or other distro to get your computer to boot off it

5. Using the running OS X, use Disk Manager to format the second disk.

- Be sure to use GUID.

- "Case-sensitive" is incompatible with Adobe software.

- Use journalled, except in the case of an SSD.

6. Double-click the Mac OS X Install DVD to mount it.

7. In Terminal:

$ open "/Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg"

- Customize for fewer languages and fewer printer drivers

- if you used a 10.5.0 image, you need to apply combo updates now to 10.5.6

8. use GFXUtil to fix your plist.

- the EFI Boot Installer folder comes with a copy of GFXUtil. Double click GFXUtil in the Finder.

- Under Display, select your exact graphics card and how much memory is on your graphics card

- Copy the resulting hex (or xml) into your com.apple.Boot.plist in the same the EFI Boot Installer folder

9. In your terminal window, cd over into your EFI Boot Installer folder, and run install.sh

$ cd <EFI_BOOT_INSTALLER_PATH>

$ sudo -s <Enter Admin Password>

$ ./install.sh

- Enter your password, point the script at the second hard disk, then accept defaults

- If you're doing this for the second or third time, you don't need to re-create the EFI partition

10. Remove the original hard drive and boot purely off the second disk

Epilogue: you can put the original hard disk back in and boot off it again if you need to change your plist or kexts.

It would be great if we could use the above in post #2. The difference between the above and the current post #2 demonstrates the gap between experts who have been blazing trails for months and relative newbies. No blame here, more like what the call "the curse of knowledge", that its hard to go back and forget what you already know.

The basic idea is, Apple designed OS X to use a special partition, called the EFI partition. Your friendly neighborhood hackers here discovered this and leveraged it. Basically, with "the boot-132 technique", you simply need to set that partition up exactly right, and get the right .kext files for your machine into it. You also may need a custom kernel, the disk must be formatted GUID and not MBR, and you probably need 1 or more changes to com.apple.Boot.plist e.g. for your graphics card. All the ugly details e.g. permissions etc. are solved by wolfienuke's (and digital_dreamer's) scripts if you want to look under the hood. The big advantage of boot 132 is that it is fairly robust for handling apple updates; plus if anything goes wrong you just boot off another drive and tidy up the EFI partition again. And in many cases its possible to run the vanilla Apple kernel. (In the case of this board, that may not happen until 10.5.7.)

Questions:

- I think I better wait for someone else to be the first to update to 10.6.0 Snow Leopard. The update to 10.5.7 should go smoothly, but if you're reading this, I suggest you wait a couple days and check this thread first.

- The first time I did this, I hung on reboot at "still waiting for root device." The next time, I did the edit plist, only changed the timeout, and now it works. Not sure why. But anyway, thanks, yikes this i7 is faster than a scalded cat. I wonder how it benchmarks compared to the new Mac Pro Apple launched a couple days ago. OK I got an XBench score of 213; have an economy SSD; have not overclocked yet.

Well darn. So close, yet leave it to me to mess up, again. The Kalyway DVD booted OK. I started to install Leaopard OK. I opened the disk utility and checked the drivers OK. Wow. Leopard, how cool. SCreen seems a bit out of focus yet, but hey, it was running for a time.

Then I got the bright idea that when it says it is about to go ahead and install Leopard, that I should swap disks (could have sworn I read that somewhere) and continue with the retail install of the DVD.

Darn, with I Had not done that. :D I got a spinning beach ball. Went about ten minutes and I heard very little disk activity. SO I reset the computer.

Wish I hadn't done that either. -_- Now it goes and reboots but it says it is looking fro a CD/DVD and it just cant seem to go beyond this place for over an hour. In short, I cant boot from the Kalyway DVD anymore.

Man oh man, so close.

I read in a few places that it was a problem that others have had. Once they stopped the install they couldn't redo it for some reason. I wonder, are there any suggestions as to what to do or where I should go next?

Thanks

PS: One thing that drives me a little crazy is the way you have to post stuff pretty cryptically. Natch it's part of the rules here too. Probably for good reason to keep the Apple Lawyers at bay. I bought Retail Leopard and I still want all of this to work. But,

I can't find where to grab that final release of IPC? Some sort of secret handshake involved I am betting. :P

Of course if someone can suggest how to get my Kalyway up and running again, it may not be necessary to try IPC. But heck, you just want things some time. :angel:

Any hoo .. I tried a Mac Torrent program called "TOMATO". THat was how I got Kalyway. But, I realized it was uploading, God knows what, while it was downloading. Frankly I Want to not allow any unauthorized uploading from my Mac, thanks very much.

Can anyone please suggest a more secure torrent engine that wont sneak into my drives without my consent? And is it possible, perhaps sending me a private message, to say where I could get this latest release of IPOC? Again, thanks.

I'm trying to get it so post 2 (or this post #301) contains everything you need. For example post #2 doesn't mention 'open "/Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg"'. So, something I am uniquely qualified to write...

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Wolfienuke Boot-132 Install on Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 (Core i7) Mobo

1. You will need

- PC with GA-EX58-UD5 motherboard. The script can work with other motherboards, you can use different kext/boot.plist/kext

- suggest to use the motherboards 6 blue SATA plugs before using the 4 white ones

- two hard disks

- Leopard retail DVD 10.5.0 or 10.5.6: download it from p2p, or better, buy it then use disk utility to create a .dmg

.....LONGER

This is where I was having problems too. Seems like this is the first build for many of us and don't completely understand how the terminal commands work and what the specific processes are. I kinda figured everything out, but I am sure most people think that the process is more plug and play. So that we can cut down on a lot of the redundant questions, I also think that these more specific steps would yield a better thread.

Zoro, I don't understand why it won't boot from the DVD if you press f12 during BIOS and select DVD when the dialogue appears. If it works, just format the HDD again in Disk Utility and load OS X from Kalyway. Remember to select "customize" when prompted about the install and install only what you need.

This is where I was having problems too. Seems like this is the first build for many of us and don't completely understand how the terminal commands work and what the specific processes are. I kinda figured everything out, but I am sure most people think that the process is more plug and play. So that we can cut down on a lot of the redundant questions, I also think that these more specific steps would yield a better thread.

Zoro, I don't understand why it won't boot from the DVD if you press f12 during BIOS and select DVD when the dialogue appears. If it works, just format the HDD again in Disk Utility and load OS X from Kalyway. Remember to select "customize" when prompted about the install and install only what you need.

Thanks, I agree with you. I know I am adventurous, and fairly smart. IF not I wouldn't be here. But skipping over assumptions creates frustration. Both in the end user and from the poor souls who have left such a generous trail of breadcrumbs her for the rest of us to follow. Like me who didn't even understand how to make a proper ISO Boot DVD.

I don't know why it isn't taking the DVD anymore either. IT did, so it should. The DVD is certainly unchanged. I May have hosed something when I forced the reboot. I am thinking to short the CMOS jumpers again and see if that clears things out.

For the record, when I get there again, should I just let the Kalyway continue to install it's self? I could have sworn at some point I Had to swap The Distro out for the retail install? Again, this really isn't a very hard process so far, its just in learning the patterns (what were are doing) and in learning the procedures or the steps to take to get there.

I am always grateful for clear explanations.

Thanks, I agree with you. I know I am adventurous, and fairly smart. IF not I wouldn't be here. But skipping over assumptions creates frustration. Both in the end user and from the poor souls who have left such a generous trail of breadcrumbs her for the rest of us to follow. Like me who didn't even understand how to make a proper ISO Boot DVD.

I don't know why it isn't taking the DVD anymore either. IT did, so it should. The DVD is certainly unchanged. I May have hosed something when I forced the reboot. I am thinking to short the CMOS jumpers again and see if that clears things out.

For the record, when I get there again, should I just let the Kalyway continue to install it's self? I could have sworn at some point I Had to swap The Distro out for the retail install? Again, this really isn't a very hard process so far, its just in learning the patterns (what were are doing) and in learning the procedures or the steps to take to get there.

I am always grateful for clear explanations.

Ya I totally agree. I actually just updated my bios to f5 and then it wouldn't boot anymore. I was like, "Oh {censored}." After panicking for a bit, I forgot that after a bios update you have to set the bios settings like AHCI again. Then all was well. Haha.

My boss was reading the MSI Wind forums and they were talking about something like that too, where you would swap disks. But, no, you can not do that with a distro like Kalyway. Kalyway will install OS X for you so just leave it in after customizing the kernal and kexts and such.

I will make some changes to post #301. Earlier in the thread wolfienuke notes that he's on leave for a while.

It'd be great if at some point one of the big dogs can move my Idiot's Guide higher up, or to a new thread. And edit any mistakes I put. I'm winging it for some of that post, particularly the graphics part. Which graphics cards just work without using GFXUtil and updating the plist?

Great thread, went out and purchased all my hardware per this thread so I could follow the path already blazed! Gigabyte UD5, i7 core 920, EVGA Nvidia 9800GTX+. Only difficulty I'm having is using any of a) iAtkos 5.5i, :) iPC 10.5.6 DL, c) Kalyway to create the first working OSX install! Kalyway and iPC DVDs basically won't load, panic out on me during load. iAtkos will load and run the install, but I have no idea which choices to make off the customize screen, and then which boot switches to specify for the new install on HD to run correctly. Any help in knowing which customization options to select from iAtkos and/or boot switches like busratio=20 are needed would be much appreciated!

Hi there,

I've installed ipc on my system with the followed kernel/kexts checked and a single GUID partition on one on my drives :

- voodoo kernel 9.5

- chipset sata ich10r (for intel ich10 chip)

- hdapatcher alc889a (for integrated alc889a sound, plug your jack in the lightest green connector, use the integrated speaker output option in the pref panel)

- realtek r1000 (for the two integrated rtl8111 network)

With only those options checked its installing like a charm, i also checked natit cause i use a Ati HD4870 but you can use nvdarwin or nvkush for your nvidia card. Dont forget to type "busratio=20" on each boot so the system wont reboot instantanously. You also need to installe the 10.5.5 seatbelt.kext after the first boot so your system wont freeze each time you try to mount a .dmg image disk.

EDIT : Just for info, I am using iPC 10.5.6 Single Layer DVD, all my drives and optical drives are connected on the blue intel sata connectors and my Bios's Integrated Peripherals sata options are configured this way:

SATA RAID/AHCI Setting : Disabled

SATA Native Mode : Enabled

SATA IDE Mode : IDE

If you have a 9-series Nvidia 92/92b-based video card and are experiencing strange issues regarding lag when using 2+ monitors with your UD5 board, you're not alone. Below is a drawn-out story of my post-install board-related problems as well as a (hopefully temporary and rather ghetto) solution.

----------------------------

I've been trying to get a 2-card/4-monitor setup working for the last 2 weeks on an EFI install of Leopard Server 10.5.6 (installed using Wolfenuke's method & some of DD's recommended kexts). After banging my head against the wall, I have finally (partially) succeeded, but it has been a royal PITA.

My card of choice for the setup are the Gigabyte 9800GTX+ 1GB series. I performed the install on my SSD drive using an already-working hack. After double and triple checking the install, I transplanted the SSD into the new machine and fired it up. Just about everything worked perfectly the very first boot, including QE/CI. I then added the 9-series_v2 drivers (i.e. the modified MBP driver pkg, hat tip DD for posting the link). Through testing with xbench and opengl extension viewer, I found the pkg seems to significantly improve graphic performance across the board for 9-series cards as mentioned earlier in this thread, (hat tip JaE-V for the advice).

But, when I connected a second monitor to the first 9800gtx+ card (before even worrying about getting the second card working), I ran into my first problem. With 2 monitors connected, I began to drop frames with Expose, Spaces, and when activating the Dashboard. With 15+ windows open, Expose and Spaces would slow to a crawl. About 1/3rd of the time, the animation would simply be dropped all together. This seems to be a common problem with real Macs too with the DVI link, and the recent QT7.6 and 10.5.6 updates. So far, Apple has been unable to provide a working solution.

[Please note that my problem does not involve the QT 7.6 upgrade - I disabled the AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext during the initial install process (after running into the QT laggy-mouse issue on my other hacks).]

To test the hardware, I installed one of the 9800gtx+ cards in my fully-working vanilla q6600 hack. I experienced no Expose lag with the card in the q6600 machine, which was puzzling.

I decided to move on to getting the dual graphics cards working, before I lost my mind with trying to figure out the lag issue. After reading Aquamac's extremely thorough tutorial on getting two cards working using GFXutil to single out the cards' individual PCI addresses, I built a custom EFI string and attempted to fire-up both cards at runtime per his instruction. (Thanks again to JaE-V for providing the link in this thread!) Unfortunately, this process seemed to have no effect (while it appeared to be quite a reliable trick according to the majority of the replies on his forum). When I tested this same method on my q6600, it worked the very first time and both cards were immediately recognized w/ QE/CI. I then started to think the problem with Expose/Spaces/Dashboard and the dual-card issue might be related.

Going back to the lag issue, I tried the 7100GS card from my q6600 on the i7/UD5. Once I corrected the EFI string, I found Expose ran almost flawlessly! Seeing this gave me hope. I popped the 9800gtx+ back in and went back to reading / testing... and reading / testing... and even f*ck-tons more reading / testing...

I decided at first it must be a simple driver problem. During this time, I tried:

- Voodoo 9.5 and 9.6 (Andy's) Kernel

- 10.5.2 gfx kexts and injector (various versions)

- 10.5.3 gfx kexts and injector (" ")

- 10.5.4 gfx kexts and injector (" ")

- 10.5.5 kexts (various revisions) + EFI string (w/ updated device ids)

- 10.5.6 kexts + 10 different EFI strings

- Recalled 2009 Apple Graphics Update kexts (w/ updated device ids)

- Various versions of QT

Not one single thing seemed to help. Not to mention, mounting and unmounting the EFI partition; editing and swapping out various kexts; and rebooting over and over was no fun at all. At this point, I figured I could rule out problems with graphics driver and possible OS/driver version conflicts/incompatibilities. The only thing I hadn't screwed with yet was the video card bios.

Starting with cyclonefr's 8800 bios flashing guide, I was disappointed when I could not get any OS to boot with his available 8800GT ROMs. I read further on the mac rom and supplemented my research with dozens of other sources, including helpful irc folks, local overclocking gurus and mac/bsd/linux forums. Starting with a copy of my 9800gtx+ rom, the revision 1 Mac 8800GT rom, and a rom from a GTS250 engineering sample; I managed to cobble together one hell of a video frankenBIOS.

I used the 8800GT rom as the base rom, and the EFI portion was removed so it would fit on my 9800gtx's tiny bios chip. I then started pulling clocks, voltages, memory timings, and other information from the 9800gtx+ and GTS250 roms. I was able to use the GUI in NiBiTor (running in XP32) for most of the edits, but there were a couple that had to be done directly to the hex (thanks DarwinFreak #BSD / Undernet2). In the end, I ended up with a video card that works in XP32, Vista64, and Mac OS, showing up in XP and Vista as a GTS250 1GB, and in Mac OS as an 8800GT 1GB. Furthermore, my OpenGL scores are within 5% of their highest speeds. And best of all... the Expose/Spaces/Dashboard LAG IS GONE! Upon further examination, I now have access to two video cards using AquaMacs method! (Well, one 9800GTX+ and my 7100GS tested so far.) Lastly, I was able to re-enable the disabled AppleUpstream...kext as well.

I'm still not sure why this is happened or really even exactly what I did that fixed it , but I'm guessing it has something to do with an incompatibility in the 9000-series drivers, some core OS files, and the Voodoo kernel itself. Perhaps the x58 hardware as well. I did notice a quantifiable improvement in graphic performance with the recalled 2009 Apple Graphics update; it's almost like Apple had the problem half-way solved. I ended up with 4 different Mac 8800GT factory BIOS files, so I believe minor differences in revisions are playing a part in the similar problems some real Mac owners are complaining about recently. I've read hundreds of pages and I feel I haven't even scratched the surface, but for now, I'm satisfied. Too bad the solution required such a complicated and somewhat dangerous fix.

I just noticed the 10.5.7 beta update is now available on Apple's dev site. I'll try to download it tomorrow and flash my card back to stock to retest. Hopefully Apple will have solved the problem; but if not, this is at least a semi-viable solution for now.

BTW - Sorry for the long write up. This laggy BS has been bugging me for a while! I'm drinking a glass of Crown XR as I type this, happy that my install is finally usable. To DD, Wolfenuke and all the other OSXperts -- if I missed an easier solution for this strange problem, please share!

Best regards,

Mr. T

P.S.

I'm reluctant to post my personal BIOS file, since near the end of the process, I bricked one of the 9800gtx+ cards. I'm not sure if it was my handy work that caused it or if I had simply reflashed the EPROM one too many times. However, I'm happy to provide the bios source files and reference sources to anyone experiencing the same issue.

Processor / OS: i7 920 @ 3.4 GHz (F5 BIOS slowdown, ugh...) running Mac OS X 10.5.6 Leopard Server

Motherboard / ram: GA-EX58-UD5 w/ 12GB OCZ Platinum 1600 MHz DDR3 (@ 1400 MHz)

Main system disk: 60GB OCZ Solid State MLC Disk

Storage disks: 2x 150GB Raptor 10k, 4x 1.5TB SATAII 7.2k

Graphics: 2x Gigabyte 9800GTX+ 1GB DDR3 (well, just 1 for now until the RMA fairy visits me)

Ya I totally agree. I actually just updated my bios to f5 and then it wouldn't boot anymore. I was like, "Oh {censored}." After panicking for a bit, I forgot that after a bios update you have to set the bios settings like AHCI again. Then all was well. Haha.

My boss was reading the MSI Wind forums and they were talking about something like that too, where you would swap disks. But, no, you can not do that with a distro like Kalyway. Kalyway will install OS X for you so just leave it in after customizing the kernal and kexts and such.

Can you say more about this? IO Was hearing mixed ideas about updating the BIOS from what must be the newest version on line. On one hand it should be a good idea to keep it updated - or at least to start this with the latest build.

But on the other hand I am reading that when people do update the Bios it doesn't always go smoothly for them. I was reading somewhere that when someone did that with this board it would not overclock at 3.8 but only 3.2. I don't remember exactly what but it was slower with the newer bios.

But you think that just resetting the BIOS again fixes other problems? Good to hear that.

BTW, I Was using the optimized settings. I Had not changed the AHCI settings like others have done. That got me pretty far into the process until I tried swapping disks. To review, there are two places to change the CMOS settings to a value with AHCI in it. Should I do this?

Thanks

Here's some good news on the VMWare Fusion issue:

VMWare Developer commenting on i7

I'm particularly excited about the new Mac Pro's support for Extended Page Tables in its Nehalem processor.

This is a huge benefit to virtualization software: without EPT, a big chunk of the heavy lifting that a virtual machine has to do is emulating the "map virtual memory address X to physical memory address Y" work that a traditional MMU does.

With EPT, the hardware adds a second level of mapping, so now in hardware, the hard work of doing "map virtual memory address X to a virtual machine's physical address Y, which is backed by physical memory address Z" no longer needs to be emulated in software.

Not to toot my own horn (okay, I'm tooting my own horn), but VMware Fusion 2.0.2 comes with support for EPT baked right in. Assuming all goes well with the final Mac Pro hardware (we haven't gotten our hands on it yet), you should see a pretty significant performance boost on the new Nehalem CPUs when running Fusion virtual machines.

There's no graphics driver in the download, but the natit.kext and other injectors will have to be updated with the new device IDs for the 48XX series cards. Until they are updated, they are pretty useless.

Hi DD

Thanks for info!

I guess I will just sit back and wait until we get a stable method! I got XFX 4850 back in Jan, yes, :thumbsup_anim: I can wait more.

By the way, I posted this info on the other thread under "Buying Thoughts...," but I just wanted let you know;

As constantly updated with your great guide, I just found that the score of the Geekbench has been improved.

Back in Mid Jan, I had about 10,600 point, but now with your latest update, the score is around 11400@3.6 ghz.

I don't know why but...very interesting score!

'Hope we get 10.5.7 or Snow ASAP....

Thanks

Can you say more about this? IO Was hearing mixed ideas about updating the BIOS from what must be the newest version on line. On one hand it should be a good idea to keep it updated - or at least to start this with the latest build.

But on the other hand I am reading that when people do update the Bios it doesn't always go smoothly for them. I was reading somewhere that when someone did that with this board it would not overclock at 3.8 but only 3.2. I don't remember exactly what but it was slower with the newer bios.

But you think that just resetting the BIOS again fixes other problems? Good to hear that.

BTW, I Was using the optimized settings. I Had not changed the AHCI settings like others have done. That got me pretty far into the process until I tried swapping disks. To review, there are two places to change the CMOS settings to a value with AHCI in it. Should I do this?

Thanks

Yes, set up your BIOS with AHCI enabled. Better yet re-read the first page of this thread (if you have not done so already) where DD has pictures of what your BIOS settings should be configured as.

As for flashing your BIOS, ignore this for now as your priority should be getting LEO running.

And do not swap out disks, Kalyway will install LEO on your choice of hard drive and will boot into OSX.

Make sure when your PC powers on keep hitting the F12 button on your keyboard, this will bring you into a boot select menu of which device will take boot sequence priority, make sure you choose CD-ROM and make sure you have your Kalyway DVD installed in that drive before you progress any further.

DD,

Is it possible that my wireless network card is causing the panic i am getting i am using a d-link dwa 552

if you could can you take a look at the pic i posted a few back

thanks in advance

Thanks

As already stated, yes change to AHCI setting. I forget what the actual setting is called but it is the first option on one of the pages in which you choose "disable", "AHCI", or "RAID". That and making the keyboard work in bios menus is the only things I have changed in the bios. Also, I updated to f5 not the beta f6. The only difference I can see is that now when I click "About this Mac" my correct 6gb RAM shows rather than 4gb as it was showing on f3. digital_dreamer was saying that he could not clock past 3.5 (?) or so using beta f6. That is why I stuck with f5. I am going to try overclocking within the next few days.

Congrats billou95! Feels so good doesn't it?

As already stated, yes change to AHCI setting. I forget what the actual setting is called but it is the first option on one of the pages in which you choose "disable", "AHCI", or "RAID". That and making the keyboard work in bios menus is the only things I have changed in the bios. Also, I updated to f5 not the beta f6. The only difference I can see is that now when I click "About this Mac" my correct 6gb RAM shows rather than 4gb as it was showing on f3. digital_dreamer was saying that he could not clock past 3.5 (?) or so using beta f6. That is why I stuck with f5. I am going to try overclocking within the next few days.

It worked. :)

Now, I have booted all the way from the Kalyway DVD. Where I Was hung up earlier, seemed to only get better after my friends suggested the shift-alt-delete sequence. Only by doing that did it stop looking for the DVD disk eternally.

As far as AHCI goes, I Let myself be influenced a bit by my friend who has very good PC building skills (but I will be teaching him about what I have learned as I get this done). He suggested to not do AHCI at first as that is really about Raid. I definitely want to stripe these two drives and make them bootable as my main drive. But I thought, get it working first, then get fancy.

Anyway, without doing AHCI it has booted perfectly all the way. I figure the next step is to look more closely at Wolfs scripts and how to get my exact video card and Lan to work. Then, once I learn what I Need, I presume I Can then install the retail version I own over those drivers (KEXTs). Please correct me if I am wrong. Actually I didn't really mean install over them, I don't know the exact process yet. I Was speaking to the idea that now that I Have a working disk (have not tried rebooting yet) then I Can get retail vanilla working.

BTW, the screen seems a bit poor, the menu text is fuzzy and the picture is not crisp. I looked at about this mac and I now have a MAC pro running 2,7 Ghz as an unknown processor. All 6 gigs of ram are showing. I started looking at the devices list and clicking on the ATA drive it went into a spinning beach ball of death.

More later.

Yee Ha!! :)

Yay ! Its soo good. It tooks 2 or 3 reboots for the sound to be recognized but its working quite well, much much quicker start than the iPC starting up of the system and overall performances seems to be also quite good. I just need to get this frakkin' hd48xx natit.kext extracted from the .pkg to my efi partition to make this install perfect :) As already said you DEFINATELY NEED to get the following options in your bios setted up BEFORE making the EFI Partition. Also if your "efi partitionned" disk is not in master and you try to force boot on this disk by typing F12 at the post screen it wont work and you'll get the "still waiting for root device" error. You need to reconfigure your sata connectors on the motherboard. Mine is configure as this : 2 hard drives on the blue connectors and my optical drive on one of the white connectors and it will work like a charm.

SATA RAID/AHCI Setting : AHCI

SATA Native Mode : Enabled

SATA IDE Mode : AHCI

Question : Is my ram really working @ 400mhz under osx or is it just a esthetic bug ? i think we can resolve this by adding some boot flag as MAJ did in his "modified by install script" com.Apple.Boot.plist. Anyway this is great, thanks to you all guys for the work you're doing in this thread ! If i can be of any help for anyone please ask.

Dell has a pretty sweet deal on some refurb XPS 435 with i7 920 processors 6GB RAM / 500GB HD ($628 after a 15% coupon I have). I was unable to verify specifics on the motherboard. The specs at Dell say that it has an X58 chipset.

Quick check of Google doesn't show anyone who has made this work yet. Based on the chipset I assume audio will work, what about networking? Also it includes a Radeon 3650 which it seems others have been able to get working.

How compatible do you think this system will be?

1. Prepare your hardware

- two hard disks

- if you're really lazy, there may be some graphics cards that just work with wolfienuke+10.5.6

2. Prepare your software

- Leopard retail DVD 10.5.0 or 10.5.6: download it from p2p, or better, buy it then use disk utility to create a .dmg file

- wolfienuke script from http://idisk.mac.com/wolfienuke-Public?view=web which includes GFXUtil. Depending on your graphics card you may need GFXutil; see http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,64.0.html

- If you are using 10.5.0 leopard DVD, download the combo update to 10.5.6 from Apple

- You can use another computer to put all this on a USB dongle (8GB or larger).

3. Set up your BIOS like in the blue image in post #1.

4. Install Kalyway or other distro to get your computer to boot off it

5. Using the running OS X, use Disk Manager to format the second disk.

- Be sure to use GUID.

- "Case-sensitive" is incompatible with Adobe software.

- Use journalled, except in the case of an SSD.

6. Double-click the Mac OS X Install DVD to mount it.

7. In Terminal:

$ open "/Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg"

- Customize for fewer languages and fewer printer drivers

- if you used a 10.5.0 image, you need to apply combo updates now to 10.5.6

8. use GFXUtil to fix your plist under the EFI Boot Installer folder

- wolfienuke folder already contains GFXUtil. Double click GFXUtil in the Finder.

- Under Display, select your exact graphics card and how much memory is on your graphics card

- Somehow merge the result into the com.apple.Boot.plist in the same folder

9. In Terminal:

$ cd <EFI_BOOT_INSTALLER_PATH>

$ sudo -s <Enter Admin Password>

$ ./install.sh

- Enter your password, point the script at the second hard disk, then accept defaults

10. Remove the original hard drive and boot purely off the second disk

Probably j'm complete idiot.... still waiting for root device....

My EFI partition:

com.apple.boot.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>Kernel</key>
    <string>bt(0,0)/mach_kernel</string>
    <key>Kernel Flags</key>
    <string>busratio=20 cpus=1 -v macmodel=MacPro3,1 MemSpeed=1600 MemType=DDR3 boot-uuid=D82B874A-A46D-348A-A87A-A4C31982A459</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Extensions:

AppleACPIPlatform.kext

AppleAHCIPort.kext

AppleHDA.kext

AppleSMBIOS.kext

Disabler.kext

dsmos.kext

HDAEnabler.kext

IOAHCIFamily.kext

IOATAFamily.kext

IOAudioFamily.kext

IONetworkingFamily.kext

JMicronATA.kext

LegacyAppleAHCIPort.kext

LegacyAppleIntelPIIXATA.kext

LegacyIOAHCIBlockStorage.kext

Natit.kext

RealtekR1000.kext

System.kext

Kernel:

mach_kernel (Voodoo 9.6.0)

My hardware:

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5

Intel i7 i920

Kingston 6GB DDR3 (3x2GB)

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-216D Firmware Revision: 1.07

NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX 1GB

Retail installed.

With standard kext files from Wolfienuke's script, my system automaticly reboot.

With only dsmos and system kext -> still waiting for boot device

With all this kext -> the same...

What the f.... going on!?

J'm complete idiot?

U have any idea?

--------------------------edit-----------------------------

if the problem can occur due to the drive connected via e-sata?

--------------------------edit2----------------------------

It works! Idiot me, I had the solution all the time in front of you.... wrong UUID!

Thank you for any person who hepled me, in particular Digital_Dreamer, Wolfienuke and all!

OK the, making good progress. I was worried about sound although I needn't have worried. Sound came on STRONG!!! Way cool. :):P :P

The video, will need some serious attention. I have the EVGA 9800 + 512 RAM card. When I drag a window, it trails badly as though it were a 60s experience gone bad. :) The text in the menus is a little fuzzy as well. The system prefs for the monitor shows only one resolution and no choices at all so, clearly it isn't set up with a good driver (KEXT) yet.

The system profiler reports that QE is not supported.

Now need to scour the topic for exactly how to fix the video, and the internet access point. I use a "ALPHA" brand radio (WIFI) that plugs into my USB port on the G4. It accesses a Realtek driver to run. I really dislike setting up networks even when I know everything is working as it should. Too many choices to make. Can anyone please comment if this setup should need massaging from their own experience? I would appreciate it.

I was delighted to have already run the X58_Mobo_Boot-132_Installer. But I declined to let it install anything as I wanted to see what I Had first. Now I see I need video and perhaps WIFI (Realtek) KEXTs. Can I run that script over and over again without messing anything up?

Much thanks and, O-M-G!!! This is freaking awesome!!!

Thank you so much one and all.

OK the, making good progress. I was worried about sound although I needn't have worried. Sound came on STRONG!!! Way cool. :P :P :P

The video, will need some serious attention. I have the EVGA 9800 + 512 RAM card. When I drag a window, it trails badly as though it were a 60s experience gone bad. :) The text in the menus is a little fuzzy as well. The system prefs for the monitor shows only one resolution and no choices at all so, clearly it isn't set up with a good driver (KEXT) yet.

The system profiler reports that QE is not supported.

Now need to scour the topic for exactly how to fix the video, and the internet access point. I use a "ALPHA" brand radio (WIFI) that plugs into my USB port on the G4. It accesses a Realtek driver to run. I really dislike setting up networks even when I know everything is working as it should. Too many choices to make. Can anyone please comment if this setup should need massaging from their own experience? I would appreciate it.

I was delighted to have already run the X58_Mobo_Boot-132_Installer. But I declined to let it install anything as I wanted to see what I Had first. Now I see I need video and perhaps WIFI (Realtek) KEXTs. Can I run that script over and over again without messing anything up?

Much thanks and, O-M-G!!! This is freaking awesome!!!

Thank you so much one and all.

This was mentioned back in post #206. Look there for additional info. Basically follow this thread:

http://aquamac.proboards106.com/index.cgi?...&thread=509

I have the same card and mine works perfect using this method. It will probably be a little difficult the first time, as it was for me, but you will get it.

This was mentioned back in post #206. Look there for additional info. Basically follow this thread:

I have the same card and mine works perfect using this method. It will probably be a little difficult the first time, as it was for me, but you will get it.

Thanks. I will do this next, then to sleep. I can't get past the setting up of my wireless though. Any thoughts on that?

I was using ethernet but it says I can't do that without anything plugged into ethernet. My WiFi radio plugs into USB. The boot 132 did install the realtek100 so it should go when I can't get it past not seeing any ethernet.

Thanks

OK, a bit of trouble there. Is it better that I post about it there, or continue with the video here? I was able to get the hex out. But the next step was to open the apple/boot.plist and there wasn't one. Well, to say more ...

I have two booting drives right now, Kalyway and Retail Leo. I am trying to make Retail Leo my main drive so this is where I try to patch first. But they don't both even have a boot.plist file to use this patch with. And now I get the white menus on Kalyway.

I need to understand something better for trouble shooting. There are always two system folders. One is at the root level and one is at the user level. I would have thought it had to be in the root level but it was not. Am I missing something here that I should copy to the other drive?

OK, a bit of trouble there. Is it better that I post about it there, or continue with the video here? I was able to get the hex out. But the next step was to open the apple/boot.plist and there wasn't one.

Boot off your Kaly drive. Go into the wolfienuke folder and right next to the install.sh is a boot.plist. Also right next to it is the program for generating the hex for your graphics card, run it, grab the hex, and edit it into the plist in the wolfienuke folder. Then run wolfienuke script, point it at your hard disk with the retail install, and it will jam in the boot.plist you just edited somehow. IIRC you can say NO when wolfienuke asks if you want to modify the boot.plist, assuming you already whacked your boot.plist beforehand using the editor. Maybe also you can say YES and stuff in the hex on the fly?