[GUIDE] Retail OS X Install (10.5.8) on Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 (Core i7) Mobo

digital_dreamer

3,054 posts in this topic

Thanks DD! I got my About This Mac to be normal again! :)

If I get a KP when openeing .dmg files running voodoo 9.6, I have to switch out the seatbelt.kext from 9.6 to the one with 9.5? If so where can I find a 9.5 seatbelt.kext and is that all that needs to be done? I am having this problem and am guessing that is what needs to be done.

With the 9.6 kernel, you'll need to go back to the original one in the 10.5.6 install. I got it here.

regards,

MAJ

RE: VMware Fusion and Vista

See if you can spot any differences in listed devices or options. I'm wondering if Fusion is even creating this file if it's KPing on your system. In the absence of this file, the log should contain similar info.

Right, I've used all the kexts files you uploaded. Unfortunately the Fusion file doesn't exist. I've also checked console and there doesn't appear to be any information there other than what is below.

Feb 10 16:23:46.632: vmfusion| Log for VMware Fusion pid=225 version=2.0.1 build=build-128865 option=Release
Feb 10 16:23:46.632: vmfusion| Host codepage=UTF-8 encoding=UTF-8
Feb 10 16:23:46.632: vmfusion| Using log file /Users/me/Library/Logs/VMware Fusion/vmware-vmfusion.log
Feb 10 16:23:46.633: vmfusion| Msg_SetLocale: HostLocale=UTF-8 UserLocale=en
Feb 10 16:23:46.633: vmfusion| Msg_Reset:
Feb 10 16:23:46.633: vmfusion| [msg.dictionary.load.statFailed] Unable to get information about file "/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/messages/en/vmware.vmsg": No such file or directory.
Feb 10 16:23:46.633: vmfusion| ----------------------------------------
Feb 10 16:23:46.633: vmfusion| Cannot load message dictionary "/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/messages/en/vmware.vmsg".
Feb 10 16:23:46.808: vmfusion| UUID: Unable to open /dev/mem: No such file or directory
Feb 10 16:23:47.008: vmfusion| HOSTDEV-MAC:  HostDeviceInfo_FindHostSoundDevices: Found default sound devices [275:265].
Feb 10 16:23:47.014: vmfusion| Could not open /proc/net/dev
Feb 10 16:23:47.014: vmfusion| SGMAC:  XXX: SGHostEnumerate not yet implemented
Feb 10 16:23:47.026: vmfusion| SMBIOS: can't open /dev/mem: Could not find the file
Feb 10 16:23:47.026: vmfusion| VmhsHostInfoPopulateSystem:  Could not get information from smbios to populate VMDB.
Feb 10 16:23:47.026: vmfusion| UUID: Unable to open /dev/mem: No such file or directory
Feb 10 16:23:47.027: vmfusion| HOSTINFO: Seeing Intel CPU, numCoresPerCPU 8 numThreadsPerCore 2.
Feb 10 16:23:47.027: vmfusion| HOSTINFO: numPhysCPUs is 0, bumping to 1.
Feb 10 16:23:47.027: vmfusion| HOSTINFO: This machine has 1 physical CPUS, 4 total cores, and 8 logical CPUs.
Feb 10 16:23:47.081: vmfusion| Foundry Init: setting up global state (0 threads)
Feb 10 16:23:47.081: vmfusion| Vix_InitializeGlobalState: Use Preference. vixLogLevel = 0
Feb 10 16:23:47.081: vmfusion| Vix_InitializeGlobalState: vixDebugPanicOnVixAssert = 0
Feb 10 16:23:47.081: vmfusion| Vix_InitializeGlobalState: vixLogRefcountOnFinalRelease = 0
Feb 10 16:23:47.081: vmfusion| Msg_SetLocale: HostLocale=UTF-8 UserLocale=en
Feb 10 16:23:47.082: vmfusion| Msg_Reset:
Feb 10 16:23:47.082: vmfusion| [msg.dictionary.load.statFailed] Unable to get information about file "/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/messages/en/vmware.vmsg": No such file or directory.
Feb 10 16:23:47.082: vmfusion| ----------------------------------------
Feb 10 16:23:47.082: vmfusion| Cannot load message dictionary "/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/messages/en/vmware.vmsg".
Feb 10 16:23:47.092: vmfusion| VixHost_ConnectEx: version -1, hostType 3, hostName (null), hostPort 0, options 515

As a side note, what names are you using for your Vista partition? Any special characters?
No special characters - it's just called Windows Vista

Do you have all system updates?Yes

Are you running 64-bit Vista?Yes

Do you have all USB options on in the BIOS under Integrated Peripherals?Yes

Does the KP involve this?: com.vmware.kext.vmnetYes I think so please see attached image 68uf0m.png

Are you running Airport? (related to vmnet KP above)I am using your kexts - there is a card installed on the board but it is not recognized at the moment (see earlier link/load error)

Is your hair black?I'm going gray!

Is your IOUSBFamily kext version 3.2.7? (Can't see why it wouldn't be, but this kext is mentioned a lot of times on the VMware forums.)
It looks like it

32	9 0x8035c000 0x29000	0x28000	com.apple.iokit.IOUSBFamily (3.2.7) <7 6 5 4 2>

I'm properly confused now. Are you only able to run your Bootcamp VM i.e you can't install any new vista VMs? As it's the only way you can apply the hotfix?

<helpful info>

I'm properly confused now. Are you only able to run your Bootcamp VM i.e you can't install any new vista VMs? As it's the only way you can apply the hotfix?

I never started Vista as a VM. Given that I had no success with XP, I installed Vista on a different drive and just used it natively for quite a while. It was only just recently I decided to reinstall VMware Fusion and see what it would do with that vista install. That's when it actually started and bluescreened. I thought, "Progress!" I investigated the bluescreen stop error and installed the hotfix when booted into Vista natively. The rest is history.

Is Vista on its own drive or a separate partition?

How about this:

Delete any VM you have in the Virtual Machines folder.

Pull that (wireless?) card. :(

Rename the Vista partition as one name (no spaces)

Launch Fusion (don't start a VM)

Make sure the VMware daemon is running by rebooting it in Terminal (copy text):

sudo /Library/Application\ Support/VMware\ Fusion/boot.sh --restart

Then start the Boot Camp VM.

I'd like to think the card is causing the KP when Fusion is probing the hardware for specifications to run a VM.

best of luck!

MAJ

Right then, I removed the airport card, renamed Vista drive to just "Vista", removed all virtual machines reloaded daemon and restarted Fusion...

Alas, it KPs. :D

EDIT: The only difference on my windows drive is that it has another partition on it. It's MBR formatted.

Bummer.

Is that all of the log? There's a lot missing. Mine looks just like yours, except yours is truncated. (no jokes please!) In fact, the next line that's not getting reported is regarding setting the power state (from my log):

Feb 09 23:37:38.233: vmfusion| Setting power state poweredOff (reported)

Clue? Is setting this state causing the KP? What power state? VM state? ACPI Suspend Type in BIOS? Soft-Off by PWR-BTTN? I changed all those settings in the BIOS and it made no difference.

On all four of my logs this line is the same, except on two of them I have this line coming before it:

Feb 09 20:28:35.725: vmfusion| Cmd /host2/#_client/util/file/cmd/##92/op/stat/ failed: Invalid path

I think this should be called VMconFusion, instead.

I notice the logs in the Boot Camp Partition are different from the ones visible in the Console. But, there are incredibly long. You could post one of them as a txt file, if you'd like. But, they are probably all zero bytes.

regards,

MAJ

EDIT: Gotta say I really appreciate you going through all the effort troubleshooting this. Once we figure it out, a lot of users would benefit. I still think it's a hardware probing issue.

EDIT SEQUEL:

Take a look at these two posts with similar KP as yours, both appear RAM related, but unconfirmed:

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/132777

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/128410

Hey DD,

HAHA where did you get your "About This Mac" picture? Did you make it? That is kick ass!

Oh yea, does anyone know how to edit the boot picture? It is usually the little grey Apple, mine is just a blank white screen with the spinning wheel.

Thanks so much for the effort to put this tutorial together. Thanks to all your help I have a living breathing i7 based hackintosh now.

I was able to bring it to life using DD's tutorial. Thank you digital_dreamer for all of your work.

I updated it again last night with the updates and still have two minor issues. #1 - the system doesn't wake from sleep, #2 there is a loud bang before each sound when using mobo sound.

I am a total noob, so what should I look at?

I did have sleep working at one point, so I am not really too sure when it stopped working.

The audio problem has been there since day one. I am using a usb audio adapter to avoid the problem for now.

Config: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 • Intel i7 Nehalem 920 2.66 • 6GB RAM

Zotac NVidia 7300 GT 256MB • WD640 Green • SAMSUNG LS 22x DVD Burner

digital_dreamer & wolfienuke

There is a new disabler.kext for the laggy itunes, they found out it was a kext that was causing the problem. Refer to to the laggy itunes thread in tutorials for the kext. Please add this to your repository or at least reference this. I tested this and it was 10,000% success

VMWARE:

about the virtualisation, does it mean it works from now? Do you need to have 10.5.6 andy v dijk kernel and the right kernel name/ symlink? than its fixed?

Update: 2009-02-12 VMware works, but with some troubles... read on

build another one...

method retail 10.5.0>10.5.6

*Installed 10.5.0 within leopard to other harddisk

*Updated directly after install with combo10.5.6 on the same drive "no restart required"

*Ran chameleon v11 installer

*Ran 'changed' script.

which added the kernel 10.5.6 from the package

which moved the original kernel and made symlink for vmware and changed com.apple.boot.plist

which removed:

Applehda.kext, IONetworkingFamily.kext

which added:

dsmos.kext, natit.kext, applehda.kext, hdaenabler.kext, smbiosresolver.kext patched IONetworkingFamily.kext"only put psystar kext in it and removed 8169"

didn't patch dsdt.aml, didn't patch cpudisabler, didn't patch acpiplatform.kext, didn't used Openhaltrestart.kext

swapped the disk to other machine and it works...

Working:

airport:asus wl138v2

2x gigabit lan

Shutdown/Restart seems to work fine,

sound works great, headphone plugging

Vmware works "without" troubles!

But playing around with different userprofiles "advanced settings" on different locations on OSX seems to screw vmware really bad!!! Cannot connect the virtual machine etc etc etc, and the machine won't start. Also other software doesn't like userprofiles location changing...

fcs-2 works!

Bugs:

CPU temperture can't be read, might try a restart "maybe because appleHWsensor is blacklisted, or not patched dsdt.aml smc"

DMESG:

*tsc sync errors,

*macbookpro 5.1 blabla

*sound assertion error

Digital_Dreamer

Love 'stealing' your scripting :angel:

Your second script "post-script" also needs the vsbutil command at the beginning! This is very important when adding kexts to vanilla install!!! Otherwise the rights/permissions will never get right! Even after chown and chmod.

This is important if people don't run your ''pre-script''.

Do you also see the dmesg errors?

updated:

Hey DD,

HAHA where did you get your "About This Mac" picture? Did you make it? That is kick ass!

Oh yea, does anyone know how to edit the boot picture? It is usually the little grey Apple, mine is just a blank white screen with the spinning wheel.

Yeah, did that graphics for kicks. :D Started working in Photoshop since version 1.0.1 on a Mac SE and System 6. Yeah, go ahead and say it! I'm old!

There's some info on boot graphics, but only works in the Chameleon bootloader, which is where everything is headed. :angel: See fassl's thread here.

Thanks so much for the effort to put this tutorial together. Thanks to all your help I have a living breathing i7 based hackintosh now.

I was able to bring it to life using DD's tutorial. Thank you digital_dreamer for all of your work.

I updated it again last night with the updates and still have two minor issues. #1 - the system doesn't wake from sleep, #2 there is a loud bang before each sound when using mobo sound.

I did have sleep working at one point, so I am not really too sure when it stopped working.

The audio problem has been there since day one. I am using a usb audio adapter to avoid the problem for now.

I wasn't aware there were audio pops in this audio setup. Anybody else experiencing this? I'll need to check into it. The pops are a rather common occurrence in some configurations, as the amplifier signal is turned off after a idle period. It, then, is abruptly turned back on when a signal is present, resulting in that pop. Reverting to an older kext solves the problem. I'll look into it.

digital_dreamer & wolfienuke

There is a new disabler.kext for the laggy itunes, they found out it was a kext that was causing the problem. Refer to to the laggy itunes thread in tutorials for the kext. Please add this to your repository or at least reference this.

Thanks for the heads-up on that issue. I never really paid attention to it, because, well, it didn't affect me. :P

Plus, the solution for a while was reverting to the older QT, older NVIDIA driver, or reflashing the card, something I have no control over. But, with that disabler for the AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext, that's a no-brainer to include. Thanks, again.

Update: 2009-02-10

build another one...

<snip>

Vmware works without troubles!

But playing around with different userprofiles "advanced settings" on different locations on OSX seems to screw vmware really bad!!! Cannot connect the virtual machine etc etc etc, and the machine won't start.

Bugs:

CPU temperture can't be read, might try a restart "maybe because appleHWsensor is blacklisted, or not patched dsdt.aml smc"

DMESG:

*tsc sync errors,

*macbookpro 5.1 blabla

*sound assertion error

but all seems stable...

gonna try if fcs2 also works 'keep ya updated'

Digital_Dreamer

Love 'stealing' your scripting :D

Your second script "post-script" also needs the vsbutil command at the beginning! This is very important when adding kexts to vanilla install!!! Otherwise the rights/permissions will never get right! Even after chown and chmod.

This is important if people don't run your ''pre-script''.

Do you also see the dmesg errors?

Thanks for your comments, walterav!

RE: Vmware

What user settings are you referring to? "Advanced settings"? Perhaps this can give us some clues to why some are not able to run Vmware.

RE: CPU temps:

How are you reading them? The latest version of Temperature Monitor (4.6) doesn't work. Got to use 4.51, I think.

RE: dmesg errors

Yes, they're there alright. The model name is a kernel issue in Andy's version of the Voodoo kernel. The official release from the lab will certainly not have that issue. The sound assertion error is much, much better than it was! It only appears on boot, now. Whereas, before it was 3-4 times/second. I'm not worried about it. The log looks so much better.

RE: vsdbutil command

Well, I wouldn't be the only one that doesn't have the ignore ownership command in the post-patch script. It wasn't my intention to have someone run the post-patch without ever having run the pre-patch. If they are, they're not following the directions. :) Additionally, if they know enough about what they're doing to run just the post-patch, then they would know enough to set the ownership flag. :D And, more likely than not, they had already been set.

Glad your installs are working for you! :) Let us know about the VMware stuff.

Oh, BTW, does your airport and LAN work together without issues? We have had some here that can get one or the other, but not both at the same time working.

kind regards,

MAJ

Yeah, did that graphics for kicks. :D Started working in Photoshop since version 1.0.1 on a Mac SE and System 6. Yeah, go ahead and say it! I'm old!

There's some info on boot graphics, but only works in the Chameleon bootloader, which is where everything is headed. :) See fassl's thread here.

I wasn't aware there were audio pops in this audio setup. Anybody else experiencing this? I'll need to check into it. The pops are a rather common occurrence in some configurations, as the amplifier signal is turned off after a idle period. It, then, is abruptly turned back on when a signal is present, resulting in that pop. Reverting to an older kext solves the problem. I'll look into it.

Thanks for the heads-up on that issue. I never really paid attention to it, because, well, it didn't affect me. :P

Plus, the solution for a while was reverting to the older QT, older NVIDIA driver, or reflashing the card, something I have no control over. But, with that disabler for the AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext, that's a no-brainer to include. Thanks, again.

Thanks for your comments, walterav!

RE: Vmware

What user settings are you referring to? "Advanced settings"? Perhaps this can give us some clues to why some are not able to run Vmware.

RE: CPU temps:

How are you reading them? The latest version of Temperature Monitor (4.6) doesn't work. Got to use 4.51, I think.

RE: dmesg errors

Yes, they're there alright. The model name is a kernel issue in Andy's version of the Voodoo kernel. The official release from the lab will certainly not have that issue. The sound assertion error is much, much better than it was! It only appears on boot, now. Whereas, before it was 3-4 times/second. I'm not worried about it. The log looks so much better.

RE: vsdbutil command

Well, I wouldn't be the only one that doesn't have the ignore ownership command in the post-patch script. It wasn't my intention to have someone run the post-patch without ever having run the pre-patch. If they are, they're not following the directions. :D Additionally, if they know enough about what they're doing to run just the post-patch, then they would know enough to set the ownership flag. :D And, more likely than not, they had already been set.

Glad your installs are working for you! :) Let us know about the VMware stuff.

Oh, BTW, does your airport and LAN work together without issues? We have had some here that can get one or the other, but not both at the same time working.

kind regards,

MAJ

Network:

Yes networking is working great, LAN + WIFI, check if there are no old plists with old adapters, en0 en1=realtek en2=wifi rest is firewire400 firewire800 , bluetooth, rs232, MY DSDT.aml is not fixed, don't used it!

VMWARE Trouble!!!:

Vmware works, but its service isn't started always, so somehow no machine starts and gives error like you already mentioned before:

"cannot connect to virtual machine"

sudo ./Library/Application\ Support/VMware\ Fusion/boot.sh --restart

this has to be done, multiple times if vmware is quit and needs to be started again..., so if you keep working with a vmachine there is no problem but quitting vmware and opening it again needs to restart the script...

Andy v dijck voodoo 10.5.6 stuff:

*This version blocks applehwsensor... might need it for temperture, but also gona check old temperture monitor version like you said.

*Cannot install another leopard from within leopard anymore when running this kernel.

sudo open /Volumes/MAC OSX INSTALL RETAIL 105X/System/Installation/Packages/OSinstaller.mpkg

can you confirm DD? It is kinda annoying because I made a usb-disk to install the other machine, so booted the other machine with the usb disk, and wanted to run the installer on the Internal harddrive but it failed... So used a real mac for it... 1055 voodoo worked fine btw

Can't wait to ditch the patched kernel, and go for a vanilla one...

Config: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 • Intel i7 Nehalem 920 2.66 • 6GB RAM

Zotac NVidia 7300 GT 256MB • WD640 Green • SAMSUNG LS 22x DVD Burner

Anyone?

... the system doesn't wake from sleep,...

I have the same issue!

I tried every thing with no luck.

...and I can't get vmware to work on 10.5.6.

On 10.5.5 with IAKTOS installed there are no issues with vmware.

best regards

masterlen

Anyone?

Is it a retail install? If its not then you will have issues. I used alot of distributions and they are all bunk. Just use EFI Partition Boot and the clouds will dissipate. I have no problems except for vmware which I will take another crack at soon. For the meantime just use virtualbox from sun.

And the noise, you probably have a noisy choke(motherboard), is it coming from the hard drive or the motherboard, details sir. That is not a big deal if its from the motherboard.

D_D,

Are you saying that soon you will be switching over to chameleon boot loader?

Craig

Sure! Who wouldn't want to see this when they boot their system?:

New_Chameleon.jpg

Additionally, there'll be a graphical boot screen as the OS loads.

VMWARE STUFF:

Vmware works, but the its service isn't started always, so somehow no machine starts and gives error like you already mentioned before:

"cannot connect to virtual machine"

so gonna try to reboot service, but I had it working and the speed was good.

Ah! Yeah, got to restart the VMware daemon. Don't know why, yet. The plist responsible for starting it is here: /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.vmware.launchd.vmware.plist and contains this inside:

<dict>
	<key>Label</key>
	<string>com.vmware.launchd.vmware</string>
	<key>ProgramArguments</key>
	<array>
			<string>/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/boot.sh</string>
			<string>--start</string>
	</array>
	<key>RunAtLoad</key>
	<true/>
</dict>

I see that it's loading at boot, but then immediately quits. So, why is it quiting? And, why is it okay to run later? :blink: Fusion has no such problems with the Boot from EFI Partition setup.

I got the logs to send to VMware. In the mean time, you (who have VMware fusion running, but need to restart the daemon all the time) can use this little script that restarts the daemon and launches Fusion. Just double-click to run. It assumes Fusion is in your main Applications folder.

Start_VMware_Fusion

Andy v dijck voodoo 10.5.6 stuff:

*Cannot install another leopard from within leopard anymore when running this kernel.

sudo open /Volumes/MAC OSX INSTALL RETAIL 105X/System/Installation/Packages/OSinstaller.mpkg

can you confirm DD? It is kinda annoying because I made a usb-disk to install the other machine, so booted the other machine with the usb disk, and wanted to run the installer on the Internal harddrive but it failed... So used a real mac for it... 1055 voodoo worked fine btw

hmmmm. Don't see the problem. I can mount the ISO and open/run it within Terminal, select various volumes and go as far as punching in my password, at which point I stop. Does it error out after this point?

I see your Issue 198 on xnu-dev regarding [TSC] skipping synchronization/

EDIT: Your posted issue mentions this:

You got to be kidding. :shock:

Okay, so what you really mean is 1.0.11

I thought you got a super sekret-don't-tell-anyone-yet version.

regards,

MAJ

New_Chameleon.jpg

DD,

How will we go about installing chameleon? And can we do it now or do we have to wait for the next version? What exactly is chameleon? Will it mess with our install at all? Is it another type of install or what really is it??? I dont understand.

Sorry for all the questions but i have no idea what chameleon is but it looks sweet! :rolleyes:

Thanks!

DD,

How will we go about installing chameleon? And can we do it now or do we have to wait for the next version? What exactly is chameleon? Will it mess with our install at all? Is it another type of install or what really is it??? I dont understand.

Sorry for all the questions but i have no idea what chameleon is but it looks sweet! ;)

Thanks!

Well, I've been confused by this for a while, too. Remember, I just started here last November, so there's still much to learn.

Chameleon is just another bootloader that allows you to select a OS on your various drives/partitions and hands off control to that OS in the boot process. The bootloader we use here is called PC-EFI v8 (version 8.0). It's what provides the Darwin prompt, where you can type in the kernel flags, hit ESC and type in the drive # in hex, etc. There's also the standard non-EFI Darwin bootloader.

However, this where it get interesting and I just learned this and hope I'm correct. PC-EFI v9 is basically Chameleon. That is, it's based on the same code base. They are considered one and the same. Chameleon has evolved into the next generation bootloader that will replace what we're currently using. It will support EFI partition boot, as well, so that your vanilla install is left untouched.

There are other third-party bootloaders, as well:

• GRUB
  • EasyBCD
  • GParted
  • Acronis boot Manager
  • Built-in Win XP bootloader

Some of this can be really confusing, so if I'm wrong about anything, please correct me.

regards,

MAJ

New_Chameleon.jpg

Ah! Yeah, got to restart the VMware daemon. Don't know why, yet. The plist responsible for starting it is here: /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.vmware.launchd.vmware.plist and contains this inside:

<dict>
	<key>Label</key>
	<string>com.vmware.launchd.vmware</string>
	<key>ProgramArguments</key>
	<array>
			<string>/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/boot.sh</string>
			<string>--start</string>
	</array>
	<key>RunAtLoad</key>
	<true/>
</dict>

I see that it's loading at boot, but then immediately quits. So, why is it quiting? And, why is it okay to run later? :blink: Fusion has no such problems with the Boot from EFI Partition setup.

I got the logs to send to VMware. In the mean time, you (who have VMware fusion running, but need to restart the daemon all the time) can use this little script that restarts the daemon and launches Fusion. Just double-click to run. It assumes Fusion is in your main Applications folder.

Start_VMware_Fusion

hmmmm. Don't see the problem. I can mount the ISO and open/run it within Terminal, select various volumes and go as far as punching in my password, at which point I stop. Does it error out after this point?

I see your Issue 198 on xnu-dev regarding [TSC] skipping synchronization/

EDIT: Your posted issue mentions this:

You got to be kidding. :shock:

Okay, so what you really mean is 1.0.11

I thought you got a super sekret-don't-tell-anyone-yet version.

regards,

MAJ

VMware,

Yeah did the same thing with a little script, think its the symlink story, so next try gonna copy mach_kernel.voodoo > mach_kernel than change com.apple.boot.plist with the original name and see if it works...

Gonna try to convert the leo image to a different format, cdr/iso and see if it works than.

TSC skipping, I'm not the only one am I?

thanks for the input

Well, I've been confused by this for a while, too. Remember, I just started here last November, so there's still much to learn.

Chameleon is just another bootloader that allows you to select a OS on your various drives/partitions and hands off control to that OS in the boot process. The bootloader we use here is called PC-EFI v8 (version 8.0). It's what provides the Darwin prompt, where you can type in the kernel flags, hit ESC and type in the drive # in hex, etc. There's also the standard non-EFI Darwin bootloader.

However, this where it get interesting and I just learned this and hope I'm correct. PC-EFI v9 is basically Chameleon. That is, it's based on the same code base. They are considered one and the same. Chameleon has evolved into the next generation bootloader that will replace what we're currently using. It will support EFI partition boot, as well, so that your vanilla install is left untouched.

There are other third-party bootloaders, as well:

GRUB

EasyBCD

GParted

Acronis boot Manager

Built-in Win XP bootloader

Some of this can be really confusing, so if I'm wrong about anything, please correct me.

regards,

MAJ

Oh icic, ok but we cannot use PC-EFI v9 because it does not support EFI partition right? We have to actually use chameleon right? But we have to wait for the next version because the current doesn't support EFI partition, I think. IDK i am confused too. So will we end up using PC-EFI v9 or chameleon?

But, there are incredibly long. You could post one of them as a txt file, if you'd like. But, they are probably all zero bytes.

regards,

MAJ

Hey MAJ, There are no logs in the application support/vmware/Bootcamp... folder. The only file is Boot Camp partition.vmwarevm which contains 2 .vdk files. (1 is 32kb the other 4kb)

EDIT: Gotta say I really appreciate you going through all the effort troubleshooting this. Once we figure it out, a lot of users would benefit. I still think it's a hardware probing issue.

No problem, thanks for looking into the issues for me and others.

EDIT SEQUEL:

Take a look at these two posts with similar KP as yours, both appear RAM related, but unconfirmed:

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/132777

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/128410

Tried Vmware with just 1 stick of RAM installed. Alas, still KPs.

Network:

Yes networking is working great, LAN + WIFI, check if there are no old plists with old adapters, en0 en1=realtek en2=wifi rest is firewire400 firewire800 , bluetooth, rs232, MY DSDT.aml is not fixed, don't used it!

This isn't from a boot from EFI partition system is it? If it is I'd be *very* interested in your kexts

Cosmin Petre,

Are you on the F4 BIOS?

Trying to think of any other variables affecting the VMware. I can only conclude it may be other connected hardware devices like graphic cards. I see you're using a NVIDIA 7300GT. How is it set up? Are you using EFI strings or injectors? If injectors, which one?

I'd like for others with this board to report what card they have and whether VMware is working or not.

Now that I think about it, wolkienuke has a ATI card like mine and isn't able to run VMware, so that just blows that theory. :)

regards,

MAJ