[GUIDE] Retail OS X Install (10.5.8) on Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 (Core i7) Mobo

digital_dreamer

3,054 posts in this topic

I have my equipment, yay. Been reading here for a few weeks, still the NOOB. My EX58-UD4p board has a manual online that says it has only four memory slots. It has six. The manual shows therefore an incorrect picture of his board with incorrect parts identification.

I downloaded the UD5 Manual, at least that diagram has 6 slots shown and now I know the correct install pattern for my three DDR3 memory sticks. But I don't trust the rest of the picture.

Can anyone aid in verifying this please? I got the manuals from the Gigabyte home page, downloaded from the USA server.

I suppose what I am really asking is, could anyone comment if the rest of the four slot schematic is correct, or should I continue reading the UD4P schematics?

Thanks and I won't be back for the answer till the end of my day.

David

Can someone please tell me what i am doing wrong, i did my build got everything working set up the bios( i think correctly) ( i am a true mac guy so it was my first time with a bios)

I can not seem to get a decent boot cd using toast 10. i want to try and get my new computer up and running by this weekend!

Can someone point me in the right direction? I have been searching the boards google and hackingt0sh.com and i cant figure out what i am doing incorrectly.

Thank you in advance!

Vanilla kernel already possible in 10.5.7 !!!

http://netkas.org/?p=84

according to netkas :blink:, also ati4850 works.

WHOOHOO! Core i7 support!

So, what do we need Voodoo for? :P

Thanks for the heads up.

Yertil,

What kind of boot CD are you trying? A distro? Or, Boot-132 loader. I find the Boot-132 CDs rather fickle.

But, for us to really help you, we need a LOT more information from you. We got nothing.

ZoroLives,

Your board didn't come with a regular manual, or was that missing?

Only board I know about is the UD5. Sorry.

regards,

MAJ

\]

Thanks for the heads up.

Yertil,

What kind of boot CD are you trying? A distro? Or, Boot-132 loader. I find the Boot-132 CDs rather fickle.

But, for us to really help you, we need a LOT more information from you. We got nothing.

regards,

MAJ

MAJ , sorry about the lack of info i was at work and doing the post from my iphone,

Ok basically i tried to run wolfs efi turned it into and iso and tried burning a boot cd i am also having a hard time making a bootcd from the iso i ripped from my own copy of leopard, I also tried using the boot 132 method and i still cant get it to read i tried cds, flash drive etc. i just downloaded kalaway i was going to try that tonight.

oh i also tried to do this last night http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=116505 which got me no where fast, ANy direction you can give a noob from getting frustrated would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Arrggh! No replies. Shoot. I am still trying to get an answer on how to do the boot CD/DVD.

But now I am seeing that this GA board has no triangle to mark where the chip should line up ti install it. Dang it. The 920 chip is clearly marked, one corner has a little triangle. The manual says the socket has a similar triangle, but there is none.

Someone, please, help. This chip has got to be delicate. I Cant just start pressing it all over the place with no clue what I am doing.

Maybe I need to RMA the damned board and move to the EVGA. I can't get started if I cant even install the silly chip. Can anyone comment on which way the chip should face? The GA manual seems pretty unclear - or someone forgot to mark the socket on this board as to where pin one is.

Somebody? Anybody?

Thanks

EDITED: Dang, it looks like this MOBO is totally NOT represented by the correct manual from Gigabyte. BEWARE please, if you use this MOBO, use the UD5 Manual and do NOT use the UD4P manual, it is completely wrong.

I found the correct aligning position for the chip on the UD5 Manual.

Arrggh! No replies. Shoot. I am still trying to get an answer on how to do the boot CD/DVD.

But now I am seeing that this GA board has no triangle to mark where the chip should line up ti install it. Dang it. The 920 chip is clearly marked, one corner has a little triangle. The manual says the socket has a similar triangle, but there is none.

Someone, please, help. This chip has got to be delicate. I Cant just start pressing it all over the place with no clue what I am doing.

Maybe I need to RMA the damned board and move to the EVGA. I can't get started if I cant even install the silly chip. Can anyone comment on which way the chip should face? The GA manual seems pretty unclear - or someone forgot to mark the socket on this board as to where pin one is.

Somebody? Anybody?

Thanks

EDITED: Dang, it looks like this MOBO is totally NOT represented by the correct manual from Gigabyte. BEWARE please, if you use this MOBO, use the UD5 Manual and do NOT use the UD4P manual, it is completely wrong.

I found the correct aligning position for the chip on the UD5 Manual.

Glad you got it.

That chip will only go one way. Not only is there the corner tab, but there are the two off-center slots on either side. If it's positioned 180 degrees off, it just won't fit. You can't goof here. It's an amazing piece of engineering to get 1366 pins to connect to a chip that can be installed by 'anyone'.

Don't fret.

I still don't see how you got the mobo without a physical manual. :wacko:

regards,

MAJ

hey guys thanks for your guides.. I installed with kaly 10.5.1 and combo updated, then used your great kext collection and the voodoo kernel to get a system that all running except for one thing.. QE/CI.

I've tried an 8800GT and an 8800GTS, both with no luck.. both working on my old P35 OSX setup perfectly, for some reason i cant get either to give me hardware accel.. ive used NVinject and NVkush, entered the id's in manually into the kexts.. tried many times.. still no luck.

Anyone else come up against this problem? is it something to do with the other kexts you guys have supplied to help get this mb running properly?

any help greatly appreciated... I think im going bald with stress!

Glad you got it.

That chip will only go one way. Not only is there the corner tab, but there are the two off-center slots on either side. If it's positioned 180 degrees off, it just won't fit. You can't goof here. It's an amazing piece of engineering to get 1366 pins to connect to a chip that can be installed by 'anyone'.

Don't fret.

I still don't see how you got the mobo without a physical manual. :)

regards,

MAJ

It is the wrong manual, online. I like the PDF manuals better as they can actually be read. The small B&W illustrations in the manual that came with the board are very hard for me to read and to see an example clearly.

The manual says it correctly. It says to align the chips marked corner with the pin one position on the socket. But, it does not illustrate this point nor does it explain where pin one is. The following paragraph in the manual is about installing an AMD CPU and it clearly shows the pin one corner. But the corner for the AMD chip is the same corner that the socket in the 4 ram slot board uses which turns out to be a different corner than the UD5 board socket uses. The UD4P manual shows a picture and directions for installing the chip oriented to that same corner as the AMD illustration shows and says the socket should have a mark there.

That was why I first posted this question, I could not find the mark. Come to realize that, the Online PDF manual is completely wrong. The one for UD4 is about a 4 mem slot board and a different i7 socket orientation. When I switched to the UD5 online manual, so far, so good.

I am still a little worried though that putting the lever back down to finish seating the chip was so hard to press down. I would have thought it might have gone down firmly but relatively easily. This one took a good bit of pressure. I hope I have not done damage already by following Gigas incorrect manual. Grrr!!!! :):):(

Thank you gentleman for putting so much time and hard work into this process. Many folks, including myself, have benefited greatly from your efforts.

Using the resources available in this post, I was able to get my machine setup in less than 2 hours with minimal hassle. My only remaining question is has anyone managed to get multiple video cards working on the UD5?

I'm using EFI strings for two identical 9800GTX+ cards, (located at Pci(0x3) & Pci(0x7)), yet only one card works at a time depending on which is selected to boot with in the BIOS.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with this? I can post my string info in xml format if that would help. Thanks for your time, folks!

Best regards,

Tyler

Processor / OS: i7 920 @ 4.04Ghz (Mac OS X 10.5.6 Leopard Server)

Motherboard / ram: GA-EX58-UD5 w/ 12GB OCZ Platinum 1600Mhz DDR3

Main system disk: 60GB OCZ Solid State MLC Disk

Storage disks: 2x 150GB Raptor 10k RPM, 4x 1.5TB SATAII 7.2k RPM

Graphics: 2x Gigabyte 9800GTX+ 1GB DDR3

Can someone please explain the breakdown of files that need including to Boot? I am now making any and all CDs I can think of that will boot my first attempt. Sorry but I REALLY don't know and I REALLY need someone to explain the terms here.

What exactly should I drag to my Toast program and burn to a CD? Is it: "Chameleon.dmg" as it is? OR, should I open Chameleon.dmg and drag the expanded contents on to the CD? Really sorry but I REALLY don't know what should be included ort not with a disk image and what should be there to make the Mac boot.

Same with the Bumby file. Should I simply drag the folder "BOOT-KABYL-BUMBY 5.iso" to Toast and burn it that way? Or, should I open it first and try to burn the contents of BOOT-KABYL-BUMBY 5.iso? Doing this gives me several errors that Toast is not recognizing the files as boot files but allows me to drop them anyway. My version of Toast is v5.x.

Would love a clue on these points. Sorry again but I have just never used disk image before and I really do not know what I should be looking at - or for here.

Please? And, thank you.

Question for MAJ or anyone who can answer this!

Ok i got everything t boot up and it looked like everything was going well. ( i had used and external usb HDD) so i went through the apple stuff and i decided to shut down and start over in the am ( it was like 300 in the morning ). SO when i got up around 8 i decided to boot up and install and setup everything else but i was back to square one. my external drive would not boot up. It was stuck at verifying dmi disk or something to that nature. Im not sure why

Anyone have any suggestions on why it would not boot this morning!

Any help would be great, especially since i decided to re-install but this time to my main HDD i am going to be using and i dont want to have the same problems!

Thanks y'all

Ok know the power keeps cutting out on the computer. i get t the mac os setup and it just cuts out anybody know why?

I installed perfectly with iPC. I installed a retail copy on another GUID drive, updated with combo update, then ran Wolf's script. The install was perfect besides updating a few things like my gfx card and such. I kinda mucked with things too much and decided to do another fresh install. This time I replaced the kernal with the updated voodoo kernal and also added updated kexts. But then on loading it gets stuck at "Verifying DMI Pool Data". I figured I did something in correctly and decided to do another fresh install without messing with Wolf's script, kernals, or kexts. After loading it said that it needed to update the cache and would reboot automatically. It never rebooted so I did it manually. But now it is still stuck at "Verifying DMI Pool Data". I tried searching for an answer but no one has posted a solution. Any thoughts?

EDIT: Lol. I just read Yertil's post above. So can re-installs not be done?

Guys (Yertil and L3B3R),

Anytime you get the Verifying DMI Pool Data message (full screen stuff), the system isn't finding anything to boot from.

If you're using wolfienuke's script, the bootloader is not getting installed to the EFI partition for some reason or the BIOS isn't finding a active drive to hand off control to. Or, your BIOS isn't recognizing that drive and able to read it properly, though that is not likely. (Is it in AHCI mode?)

If you have another booting partition (distro or such), you can check that EFI partition to see if there's anything there. You can use this EFI Mounter script to mount/unmount that partition.

As for why this is happening, I wouldn't know from over here. But, there was a bug in the script where if you attempt to "Update" the EFI partition, instead of "Install", it would wipe out that partition. Don't know what conditions prompted that or if it's been fixed. But, try it again, but only use "Install." I always use "Install", even if it's a little change.

best of wishes,

MAJ

P.S. For those of you using the Standard (Boot-132) Retail DVD method, I have updated the script (on front page) so that no Terminal experience is needed. Just about everything is automated. Additional goodies are included, such modifying your Mac Model name, CPU type, and custom About This Mac graphic.

Guys (Yertil and L3B3R),

Anytime you get the Verifying DMI Pool Data message (full screen stuff), the system isn't finding anything to boot from.

If you're using wolfienuke's script, the bootloader is not getting installed to the EFI partition for some reason or the BIOS isn't finding a active drive to hand off control to. Or, your BIOS isn't recognizing that drive and able to read it properly, though that is not likely. (Is it in AHCI mode?)

If you have another booting partition (distro or such), you can check that EFI partition to see if there's anything there. You can use this EFI Mounter script to mount/unmount that partition.

As for why this is happening, I wouldn't know from over here. But, there was a bug in the script where if you attempt to "Update" the EFI partition, instead of "Install", it would wipe out that partition. Don't know what conditions prompted that or if it's been fixed. But, try it again, but only use "Install." I always use "Install", even if it's a little change.

best of wishes,

MAJ

P.S. For those of you using the Standard (Boot-132) Retail DVD method, I have updated the script (on front page) so that no Terminal experience is needed. Just about everything is automated. Additional goodies are included, such modifying your Mac Model name, CPU type, and custom About This Mac graphic.

Maj

I got past that i reinstalled on a different drive. do you think i should reinstall with the new code?

i noticed my cpu is max out at 3.8 i didnt set it up like that how can i change it i think it is drawing 2 much power and causing my machine to shut down automatically. is that possible?

Sorry for all the question i have been searching and googleing but sometimes it is just easier to ask the masters ;)

did i possibly leave anything out during the install i used my iso of leopard from my own disc and a ran the installer program that was in the first post by DD

i still need to upload the drivers for my video card but cannot get that far because the cpu turns off

Maj

I got past that i reinstalled on a different drive. do you think i should reinstall with the new code?

i noticed my cpu is max out at 3.8 i didnt set it up like that how can i change it i think it is drawing 2 much power and causing my machine to shut down automatically. is that possible?

Sorry for all the question i have been searching and googleing but sometimes it is just easier to ask the masters ;)

did i possibly leave anything out during the install i used my iso of leopard from my own disc and a ran the installer program that was in the first post by DD

i still need to upload the drivers for my video card but cannot get that far because the cpu turns off

No reinstall is necessary if you have it going.

How do you know your CPU is maxed out and why is it set at 3.8GHz? Are you reading the About This Mac setting? That wouldn't be correct (I think that was my old setting I put into the SystemInfo.string). Check the System Profiler/Hardware Overview/Processor Speed. That will give you the accurate speed. I don't think it would be running at 3.8 if you didn't set it that way. It should be running 2.67 stock.

It it getting too hot? What are the temps (in BIOS) and what cooler do you have? How long does it take before shutting off? It it random?

regards,

MAJ

Please be aware. I got help from an old friend and long time PC builder. He said with Gigabyte he ALWAYS grabs the manual from the Asia site (Not China). He feels that they are made in Taiwan and that is where the cutting edge technology happens, so that is the only place Gigabyte manuals are fresh and complete. Several translations later and distributed over the world and various regional servers, it just gets all messed up somehow in their system.

Of course this is in English so it may not be as helpful to other languages.

I was struggling as the manual for my UD4P board, downloaded from the American site, was wrong. IT showed a different socket orientation, 4 RAM slots instead of 6, wrong. I Was making progress albeit nervously with the UD5 manual until I Realized it was also wrong. Less so than the UD4P manual but not accurate as to board layout with the SATA ports.

The good news is, I finally have a good, trustable, working manual. Whew. Now to get it all assembled correctly.

I will be booting from scratch and using .. one of the many methods (yours I hope) to allow me to install my retail version of Leopard.

If I am reading this correctly, this is for those who already have leopard installed on one drive and are using it to install on a fresh drive, is that right?

Does your updated version work as is if I burn it on a CD and try and boot from it?

Verifying DMI pooldata:

You already figured out a workaround...

The gigabyte board somehow not always finds the right disk to boot from...

pressing F12 during Post and select the disk manually

"press on the harddisk menu with +" it opens and you can select between drives...

if your harddisk was attached to the jmicron controller make sure its connected on the port closest to the "print"

the port on top of it doesn't boot / work in osx,

Hi,

is it possible to use the "WOLFIENUKE'S BOOT FROM EFI PARTITION RETAIL DVD INSTALL" and install Leopard directly from a Kalyway, in other words not by booting the dvd but ?

Yep, that's what it's for. :(

Please be aware. I got help from an old friend and long time PC builder. He said with Gigabyte he ALWAYS grabs the manual from the Asia site (Not China). He feels that they are made in Taiwan and that is where the cutting edge technology happens, so that is the only place Gigabyte manuals are fresh and complete. Several translations later and distributed over the world and various regional servers, it just gets all messed up somehow in their system.

Of course this is in English so it may not be as helpful to other languages.

I was struggling as the manual for my UD4P board, downloaded from the American site, was wrong. IT showed a different socket orientation, 4 RAM slots instead of 6, wrong. I Was making progress albeit nervously with the UD5 manual until I Realized it was also wrong. Less so than the UD4P manual but not accurate as to board layout with the SATA ports.

The good news is, I finally have a good, trustable, working manual. Whew. Now to get it all assembled correctly.

That's good to know. Thanks for sharing that with us. I double-checked the links on the tutorial and they are the Taiwan sources with the tw.com domain.

I will be booting from scratch and using .. one of the many methods (yours I hope) to allow me to install my retail version of Leopard.

If I am reading this correctly, this is for those who already have leopard installed on one drive and are using it to install on a fresh drive, is that right?

Does your updated version work as is if I burn it on a CD and try and boot from it?

Yes, both methods mentioned in the tutorial are designed to work from an existing Leo install. Given the vulnerable nature of OS installs on hackintoshes, it's a good practice to have a another working install to go back to. It makes life easier.

As for running the script on a boot CD, no that won't work.

First, you would need a bootloader and a portion of OS X running to run the Terminal.

Even if you had a bootable OS X on the CD/DVD, there are several areas in the script that would fail, as there are files the script writes to within the script directory.

regards,

MAJ

Yep, that's what it's for. :)

That's good to know. Thanks for sharing that with us. I double-checked the links on the tutorial and they are the Taiwan sources with the tw.com domain.

Yes, both methods mentioned in the tutorial are designed to work from an existing Leo install. Given the vulnerable nature of OS installs on hackintoshes, it's a good practice to have a another working install to go back to. It makes life easier.

As for running the script on a boot CD, no that won't work.

First, you would need a bootloader and a portion of OS X running to run the Terminal.

Even if you had a bootable OS X on the CD/DVD, there are several areas in the script that would fail, as there are files the script writes to within the script directory.

regards,

MAJ

Thanks but, I don't know how I would do that? I am running Tiger now on this G4. I Have ATA drives. I have several internal ATA drives, several external USB and one FW backup drive. Under Tiger I cant boot off a USB drive, I don't know if leopard changes that?

I suppose I could update this G4 with Leopard and use my current HD (after backing up of course) as the second drive you mentioned. But really I was hopping that one of these processes would do to boot in some way on a new Hackintosh, eject the boot CD at a point, put in the Leopard retail DVD, continue the installation, reboot after swapping the DVD to the boot CD again, changing the drive to 80 or 81, and that would be the end of it.

I assumed there would be further tweaks or patches to make sound or WIFI work. And I Still want to stripe my two new 500 SATA drives and make them bootable on my new HM. But first things first is, get leopard installed and working on a new machine with a new drive.

Can you see anyway in what I am saying that I could make a leopard disk as the second one as you are explaining it? It would have to boot to the ATA and not the SATA. I believe this board will take ATA but I don't know if it will boot that way?

Could it be that simple? It would be very nice if I could just take a Leopard ATA installed and bootable drive and install it in the new HM case.

Thanks but, I don't know how I would do that? I am running Tiger now on this G4. I Have ATA drives. I have several internal ATA drives, several external USB and one FW backup drive. Under Tiger I cant boot off a USB drive, I don't know if leopard changes that?

I suppose I could update this G4 with Leopard and use my current HD (after backing up of course) as the second drive you mentioned. But really I was hopping that one of these processes would do to boot in some way on a new Hackintosh, eject the boot CD at a point, put in the Leopard retail DVD, continue the installation, reboot after swapping the DVD to the boot CD again, changing the drive to 80 or 81, and that would be the end of it.

I assumed there would be further tweaks or patches to make sound or WIFI work. And I Still want to stripe my two new 500 SATA drives and make them bootable on my new HM. But first things first is, get leopard installed and working on a new machine with a new drive.

Can you see anyway in what I am saying that I could make a leopard disk as the second one as you are explaining it? It would have to boot to the ATA and not the SATA. I believe this board will take ATA but I don't know if it will boot that way?

Could it be that simple? It would be very nice if I could just take a Leopard ATA installed and bootable drive and install it in the new HM case.

The second drive needs to be hooked to the same board as the one you want your retail dvd to be installed. You need two hard drives. On one of them, install a Mac OS X distro like iPC 10.5.6 (this is the one I used and have had success, there are others). Google search it and you will find how to get it. Then from inside that version you can install your retail dvd onto the other hard drive. Then using digital_dreamer's or wolf's scripts, update that drive so that it will boot. You probably will need to change some kexts so that your sound works and I don't use wifi so IDK.

I guess you can hook a hard drive via USB to your G4 and install Leopard on it, update, and run the script, and then put it in your new case. ? .