[GUIDE] Retail OS X Install (10.5.8) on Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 (Core i7) Mobo

digital_dreamer

3,054 posts in this topic

No reinstall is necessary if you have it going.

How do you know your CPU is maxed out and why is it set at 3.8GHz? Are you reading the About This Mac setting? That wouldn't be correct (I think that was my old setting I put into the SystemInfo.string). Check the System Profiler/Hardware Overview/Processor Speed. That will give you the accurate speed. I don't think it would be running at 3.8 if you didn't set it that way. It should be running 2.67 stock.

It it getting too hot? What are the temps (in BIOS) and what cooler do you have? How long does it take before shutting off? It it random?

regards,

MAJ

the about this mac must be from your old setting because the bios read 2.66 the cpu temp is around 84 i have standard cpu cooler heat shrink plus my case has about 8 fans i a have the antec 1200 all running. I decided to try and test the power supply it was running fine but i bought another one any way just to be sure. of course i cant even get the computer to boot right know which is really starting to annoy me. i think i am at my wits end with this project of mine. ( i had thought it was a good idea i do have computer knowledge and have built some macs before) i think i will just sell it and save my money and get a real mac!

I am going ot give it one more good night of trying i guess

ok well i just figured it out my cpu is running between 100 and 113 celsius so that explains why its kicking off ? anybody have any suggestions on heat control ?

The second drive needs to be hooked to the same board as the one you want your retail dvd to be installed. You need two hard drives. On one of them, install a Mac OS X distro like iPC 10.5.6 (this is the one I used and have had success, there are others). Google search it and you will find how to get it. Then from inside that version you can install your retail dvd onto the other hard drive. Then using digital_dreamer's or wolf's scripts, update that drive so that it will boot. You probably will need to change some kexts so that your sound works and I don't use wifi so IDK.

I guess you can hook a hard drive via USB to your G4 and install Leopard on it, update, and run the script, and then put it in your new case. ? .

I was under the impression that using a pre-installed drive would be the easiest way to do this - but - it was also something that would work just as well to put Bumby on a CD, boot it, exit the set up at a point, put in the retail Leopard DVD, install it, reboot, swap one more time to identify the drives, and that should be it.

Did I miss something here?

Also, I could install Leopard on my new external 1TB USB/esata drive. But Tiger will not boot from an external USB drive. Did they fix that in Leopard? If I try to instal Leopard on my external USB drive (assuming it will allow it), could I use that external USB or esata to boot my new machine with Leopard? This is my first Intel hardware setup. I have been only on Tiger and PPC until now.

Thanks

the about this mac must be from your old setting because the bios read 2.66 the cpu temp is around 84 i have standard cpu cooler heat shrink plus my case has about 8 fans i a have the antec 1200 all running. I decided to try and test the power supply it was running fine but i bought another one any way just to be sure. of course i cant even get the computer to boot right know which is really starting to annoy me. i think i am at my wits end with this project of mine. ( i had thought it was a good idea i do have computer knowledge and have built some macs before) i think i will just sell it and save my money and get a real mac!

I am going ot give it one more good night of trying i guess

ok well i just figured it out my cpu is running between 100 and 113 celsius so that explains why its kicking off ? anybody have any suggestions on heat control ?

That would be exactly why it's shutting off. Thermo limits built into the CPU and BIOS (if set).

I think you need to reseat your CPU cooler immediately.

Since you'll be removing it, you'll need to clean it all off with alcohol and reapply the thermal compound (Artic Silver or such). Make sure the thermal paste is applied properly - thin layer with razor blade. And, make sure the stock cooler is making good contact with the CPU.

best of wishes,

MAJ

I was under the impression that using a pre-installed drive would be the easiest way to do this - but - it was also something that would work just as well to put Bumby on a CD, boot it, exit the set up at a point, put in the retail Leopard DVD, install it, reboot, swap one more time to identify the drives, and that should be it.

Did I miss something here?

Also, I could install Leopard on my new external 1TB USB/esata drive. But Tiger will not boot from an external USB drive. Did they fix that in Leopard? If I try to instal Leopard on my external USB drive (assuming it will allow it), could I use that external USB or esata to boot my new machine with Leopard? This is my first Intel hardware setup. I have been only on Tiger and PPC until now.

Thanks

I have only really read this thread regarding the install process. I don't know about booting from a different CD then exiting and inserting a retail DVD. I heard something about it, but haven't tried. Also, I don't see how a pre-installed drive would be easier. With the drive installed in my machine, booting and installing from the iPC disk was a cinch. Kexts for your board may be different than the UD5. You may want to consult with people that have the same mobo.

That would be exactly why it's shutting off. Thermo limits built into the CPU and BIOS (if set).

I think you need to reseat your CPU cooler immediately.

Since you'll be removing it, you'll need to clean it all off with alcohol and reapply the thermal compound (Artic Silver or such). Make sure the thermal paste is applied properly - thin layer with razor blade. And, make sure the stock cooler is making good contact with the CPU.

best of wishes,

MAJ

Might it be an over-voltage problem? If it is not over-clocked I don't see how it would get over 100 degrees at 2.67 Ghz. Or maybe you loaded on the thermo grease too much. Some people say that more is better, but that is not the case.

The second drive needs to be hooked to the same board as the one you want your retail dvd to be installed. You need two hard drives. On one of them, install a Mac OS X distro like iPC 10.5.6 (this is the one I used and have had success, there are others). Google search it and you will find how to get it. Then from inside that version you can install your retail dvd onto the other hard drive. Then using digital_dreamer's or wolf's scripts, update that drive so that it will boot. You probably will need to change some kexts so that your sound works and I don't use wifi so IDK.

I guess you can hook a hard drive via USB to your G4 and install Leopard on it, update, and run the script, and then put it in your new case. ? .

I have been downloading that build since you mentioned it. It looks like it will continue all night - and more.

I did something similar already where I found and downloaded Kalyway. IT was also a very large file. DO I need one over the other (Kalyway vs iPC 10.5.6)?

Just waiting to see if anyone knows if I can boot from a USB external drive with INtel and 10.5.6.

Thanks

EDITED: It appears that Leopard will not install on my external USB drive, so that is out. The install DVD said it won't install on that drive because it cant boot from that drive.

Next step is to get back to cloning one of my internal drives and then install Leopard to that. Then, Using CCC I can image that installed Leopard drive to my external USB drive. Although I wish someone could comment on whether the Intel platform will allow me to boot from the external USB drive or not???

(Pretty please)??

Thanks

I have been downloading that build since you mentioned it. It looks like it will continue all night - and more.

I did something similar already where I found and downloaded Kalyway. IT was also a very large file. DO I need one over the other (Kalyway vs iPC 10.5.6)?

Just waiting to see if anyone knows if I can boot from a USB external drive with INtel and 10.5.6.

Thanks

I could not find a version of Kalyway that I liked. I liked iPC because it had the components I needed; voodoo, nvinject, etc. It was also easier to find on the newsgroups :unsure: .You can always try and load the distro onto the external drive and then see if it boots. I have done countless installs, re-installs, script running, and so on. It is a process. Most likely you are not going to find it perfect the first try.

Might it be an over-voltage problem? If it is not over-clocked I don't see how it would get over 100 degrees at 2.67 Ghz. Or maybe you loaded on the thermo grease too much. Some people say that more is better, but that is not the case.

It can get that hot, even at idle, if the cooler is not making any contact. Easy way to tell is if it's running 90-100° C and the cooler is, well, cool.

regards,

MAJ

It can get that hot, even at idle, if the cooler is not making any contact. Easy way to tell is if it's running 90-100° C and the cooler is, well, cool.

regards,

MAJ

It definitely was the thermal grease it wasn't that i had to much or to little, it bubbled up and left air underneath . so i re applied and lit it set for about 3 hours turned the computer on and let it heat up in the bios screen it stayed at about 50 celsius which is much better.

For some reason thought my bluetooth keyboard is no longer connecting , and i am getting a panic kernel it had something about voodoo i know i still have some tweaking to the software, i only got as far as the start up screen,

any suggestions should i wipe the drive clean and do a reinstall of the software or should i start to piece the drivers in and kets etc.

Btw while im asking anybody know what software from os86x i need for my video card i have a nvidia 9800 gtx+

Thanks guys i am definitely frustrated but i am not giving up on the project! thanks for the help and speedy responses.

I hoep in the future i can be a contributing member and give help to noobs such as myself :unsure::P:D

It definitely was the thermal grease it wasn't that i had to much or to little, it bubbled up and left air underneath . so i re applied and lit it set for about 3 hours turned the computer on and let it heat up in the bios screen it stayed at about 50 celsius which is much better.

For some reason thought my bluetooth keyboard is no longer connecting , and i am getting a panic kernel it had something about voodoo i know i still have some tweaking to the software, i only got as far as the start up screen,

any suggestions should i wipe the drive clean and do a reinstall of the software or should i start to piece the drivers in and kets etc.

Btw while im asking anybody know what software from os86x i need for my video card i have a nvidia 9800 gtx+

Thanks guys i am definitely frustrated but i am not giving up on the project! thanks for the help and speedy responses.

I hoep in the future i can be a contributing member and give help to noobs such as myself :angel::P:D

Just to mention it. It's something I learned from my friend who I trust as he has assembled so many computers. He told me to make sure when I set my cooler (coolermaster V8) on my chip to put just a dollop of grease on the chip - about the size of a match head. But first he asked me to get a paper towel and clean both the processor surface and the heat sink surface with rubbing alcohol to remove any fingerprint grease from all surfaces. He said that Thermal grease tends to work best in a very thin molecular bond. This is the same way that super glue bonds, use too much (like regular glue) and you won't get a strong bond. Apparently, my friend was saying, that if you put on too much thermal grease it really diminishes the heat transfer rate.

One last point. Once the surfaces are both clean and you put the dollop of grease on the chip surface, he told me to use a plastic bag to put my finger in. Doing it this way allowed me to spread the grease pretty thin and evenly. And I left no additional finger grease behind me.

I hoep in the future i can be a contributing member and give help to noobs such as myself :P :P :D

I used the Zalman thermal grease because it has an applicator brush rather than in a tube form. Just to let you know, with my CM Hyper N520 cooler, I get about 36 degrees Celsius at idle. I heard {censored} about the stock one so I decided to get a little bit better one.

I also use a 9800 gtx+ card. I have been reading tons on the correct process to get it working. There are some good links in this thread back in I think page 6. It works with NVinject but without quartz extreme support. People are saying that an EFI string is the way to go. :D , I was just going to type that I was having problems with it, but I just got it to work. Yes! EFI string worked perfectly! FINALLY! Go here for the info on how to do it:

http://aquamac.proboards106.com/index.cgi?...&thread=509

I added the string in the .plist in digital_dreamer's new script folder. Then do the PC-EFI pre-patch. Worked on first try. I thought it wasn't going to because after the install I clicked restart and a dialogue appeared that said that the system needs to update the boot cache and it will auto restart. I clicked ok but it never restarted. It just hung on the wallpaper with the mouse pointer. I hard restarted it and it booted up perfectly.

I would like to thank digital_dreamer for his wonderful work! If you take PayPal donations I will gladly donate.

:angel:

Just would like to mention that my 3 memory banks are now correctly recognized in system info since i changed the bios in F6b

:)

By the way should i go to F5 now ?

Any experience ?

I'm changing this evening my Nvidia 7900GS graphic card for my ATI 4850 Gainward golden sample witch is now recognized thanks to Netkas 10.5.7 extensions !

http://netkas.org/?m=200902

:happymac:

Hello,

j'm finally install Kalyway 10.5.2 and got a trouble install Retail with standart dvd install.

Rud script, install Retail, but when is 2 min to finish, system hang on (messange u must rebot, pres power button etc.)

system log:

CODE

Mar 2 13:03:04 morgans-ex58-ud5 Installer[385]: <ZeroSliderSplitView: 0x3875cfd0>: the delegate <TargetSelectPage: 0x38752800> was sent -splitView:resizeSubviewsWithOldSize: and left the subview frames in an inconsistent state:

Mar 2 13:03:04 morgans-ex58-ud5 Installer[385]: Split view bounds: {{0, 0}, {402, 104}}

Mar 2 13:03:04 morgans-ex58-ud5 Installer[385]: Subview frame: {{0, 0}, {0, 32}}

Mar 2 13:03:04 morgans-ex58-ud5 Installer[385]: Subview frame: {{0, 0}, {402, 104}}

Mar 2 13:03:04 morgans-ex58-ud5 Installer[385]: The outer edges of the subview frames are supposed to line up with the split view's bounds' edges. NSSplitView is working around the problem, perhaps at the cost of more redrawing. (This message is only logged once per NSSplitView.)

Mar 2 13:04:12 morgans-ex58-ud5 KernelEventAgent[39]: tid 00000000 received unknown event (256)

Mar 2 13:08:59 morgans-ex58-ud5 fseventsd[42]: failed to create the uuid file /Volumes/MacOS/dev/.fseventsd/fseventsd-uuid

Mar 2 13:08:59: --- last message repeated 1 time ---

Mar 2 13:08:59 morgans-ex58-ud5 fseventsd[42]: disk logger: failed to open output file /Volumes/MacOS/dev/.fseventsd/000000000018c5a9 (Operation not supported). mount point /Volumes/MacOS/dev/.fseventsd

Mar 2 13:09:54 morgans-ex58-ud5 fseventsd[42]: failed to create the uuid file /Volumes/MacOS/dev/.fseventsd/fseventsd-uuid

Mar 2 13:09:54: --- last message repeated 1 time ---

Mar 2 13:09:54 morgans-ex58-ud5 fseventsd[42]: disk logger: failed to open output file /Volumes/MacOS/dev/.fseventsd/00000000001d35bc (Operation not supported). mount point /Volumes/MacOS/dev/.fseventsd

Mar 2 13:10:00 morgans-ex58-ud5 com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.dyld): Throttling respawn: Will start in 4 seconds

Mar 2 13:13:21 localhost kernel[0]: MicronATA] Unit 0, bus is ready for scan

Mar 2 13:13:18 localhost com.apple.launchctl.System[2]: fsck_hfs: Volume is journaled. No checking performed.

Mar 2 13:13:18 localhost com.apple.launchctl.System[2]: fsck_hfs: Use the -f option to force checking.

Mar 2 13:13:20 localhost com.apple.launchctl.System[2]: launchctl: Please convert the following to launchd: /etc/mach_init.d/dashboardadvisoryd.plist

Mar 2 13:13:20 localhost com.apple.launchd[1] (org.cups.cupsd): Unknown key: SHAuthorizationRight

Mar 2 13:13:20 localhost com.apple.launchd[1] (org.ntp.ntpd): Unknown key: SHAuthorizationRight

Mar 2 13:13:21 localhost kextd[10]: 417 cached, 0 uncached personalities to catalog

Mar 2 13:13:21 localhost kernel[0]: [JMicronATA] ATAPI regs _tfCylLoReg ff[JMicronATA] _tfCylHiReg ff

Mar 2 13:13:21 localhost kernel[0]: [JMicronATA] Unknown device

Mar 2 13:13:21 localhost kernel[0]: [JMicronATA] Unit 1, bus is ready for scan

Mar 2 13:13:21 localhost kernel[0]: [JMicronATA] ATAPI regs _tfCylLoReg 0[JMicronATA] _tfCylHiReg 0

Mar 2 13:13:21 localhost kernel[0]: [JMicronATA] Unit 1, bus is ready for scan

Mar 2 13:13:21 localhost kernel[0]: [JMicronATA] ATAPI regs _tfCylLoReg ff[JMicronATA] _tfCylHiReg ff

Mar 2 13:13:21 localhost kernel[0]: [JMicronATA] Unknown device

Mar 2 13:13:21 localhost kernel[0]: JMicronATA: JMB363 (CMD 0x7d00, CTR 0x7c00, IRQ 18, BM 0x7b08)

Mar 2 13:13:21 localhost kernel[0]: FireWire (OHCI) TI ID 8024 PCI now active, GUID 00dcc0b400001fd0; max speed s400.

Mar 2 13:13:21 localhost kernel[0]: ERROR: FireWire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to full-secure.

Mar 2 13:13:21 localhost kernel[0]: JMicronATA: JMB363 (CMD 0x7f00, CTR 0x7e00, IRQ 18, BM 0x7b00)

Mar 2 13:13:21 localhost kernel[0]: [JMicronATA] PIO mode 0 @ 600 ns

Mar 2 13:13:21 localhost kernel[0]: [JMicronATA] selected PIO timing entry 4

Mar 2 13:13:21 localhost kernel[0]: [JMicronATA] selected Ultra mode 5

Mar 2 13:13:21 localhost kernel[0]: [JMicronATA] PIO mode 4 @ 120 ns

Mar 2 13:13:21 localhost kernel[0]: [JMicronATA] Ultra mode 5

Mar 2 13:13:21 localhost kernel[0]: Got boot device = IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/PEX1@1C,1/IOPCI2PCIBridge/JMB1@0,1/JMicronATAPCIRoot/SDE0@0/JMicronATA/ATADeviceNub@1/IOATABlockStorageDriver/IOATABlockStorageDevice/IOBlockStorageDriver/ST3120026A Media/IOGUIDPartitionScheme/Untitled@2

Mar 2 13:13:21 localhost kernel[0]: BSD root: disk1s2, major 14, minor 5

Mar 2 13:13:21 localhost kernel[0]: jnl: unknown-dev: replay_journal: from: 6260224 to: 12685824 (joffset 0x37e000)

Mar 2 13:13:21 localhost kernel[0]: jnl: unknown-dev: journal replay done.

Mar 2 13:13:21 localhost kernel[0]: HFS: Removed 2 orphaned unlinked files or directories

Mar 2 13:13:21 localhost kernel[0]: Jettisoning kernel linker.

Mar 2 13:13:21 localhost kernel[0]: Resetting IOCatalogue.

Mar 2 13:13:21 localhost kernel[0]: display: family specific matching fails

Mar 2 13:13:21 localhost kernel[0]: Matching service count = 2

Mar 2 13:13:21 localhost kernel[0]: Matching service count = 3

Mar 2 13:13:21 localhost kernel[0]: Matching service count = 4

Mar 2 13:13:21: --- last message repeated 3 times ---

Mar 2 13:13:21 localhost kernel[0]: NVDANV50HAL loaded and registered.

Mar 2 13:13:21 localhost kernel[0]: ACPI_SMC_CtrlLoop::initCPUCtrlLoop - pmCPUControl (PMIOCSETPSTATETABLE) returned 0xffffffff

Mar 2 13:13:22 localhost kernel[0]: display: family specific matching fails

Mar 2 13:13:22 localhost kernel[0]: HDAEnabler: Copyright © 2008 by Kabyl

Mar 2 13:13:22 localhost kernel[0]: HDAEnabler: 05/05/2008 Added SPAudio support:Taruga

Mar 2 13:13:22 localhost kernel[0]: display: family specific matching fails

Mar 2 13:13:22 localhost kernel[0]: NVinject: Probing.

Mar 2 13:13:22 localhost kernel[0]: NVinject: Setting rom-revision=0x00981

Mar 2 13:13:22 localhost kernel[0]: NVinject: Setting @0,device_type=display

Mar 2 13:13:22 localhost kernel[0]: NVinject: Setting NVCAP=<data not shown>

Mar 2 13:13:22 localhost kernel[0]: NVinject: Setting @0,compatible=NVDA,NVMac

Mar 2 13:13:22 localhost kernel[0]: NVinject: Setting name=display

Mar 2 13:13:22 localhost kernel[0]: NVinject: Setting @1,name=NVDA,Display-B

Mar 2 13:13:22 localhost kernel[0]: NVinject: Setting device_type=NVDA,Parent

Mar 2 13:13:22 localhost kernel[0]: NVinject: Setting @0,name=NVDA,Display-A

Mar 2 13:13:22 localhost kernel[0]: NVinject: Setting @1,compatible=NVDA,NVMac

Mar 2 13:13:22 localhost kernel[0]: NVinject: Setting VRAM,totalsize=<data not shown>

Mar 2 13:13:22 localhost kernel[0]: NVinject: Setting @1,device_type=display

Mar 2 13:13:22 localhost kernel[0]: NVinject: Setting model=NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX DDL

Mar 2 13:13:22 localhost kernel[0]: dsmos: Initializing...

Mar 2 13:13:22 localhost kernel[0]: dsmos: Hook and decryption contexts set!

Mar 2 13:13:22 localhost kernel[0]: dsmos: Starting...

Mar 2 13:13:25 localhost fseventsd[42]: event logs in /.fseventsd out of sync with volume. destroying old logs. (844 12 925)

Mar 2 13:13:25 localhost bootlog[52]: BOOT_TIME: 1235995983 0

Mar 2 13:13:25 localhost fseventsd[42]: log dir: /.fseventsd getting new uuid: 91813B2D-6CFD-43A7-8302-A11BA081689D

Mar 2 13:13:26 localhost rpc.statd[33]: statd.notify - no notifications needed

Mar 2 13:13:26 localhost DirectoryService[47]: Launched version 5.2 (v514.4)

Mar 2 13:13:26 localhost socketfilterfw[54]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

Mar 2 13:13:26 localhost /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/loginwindow[38]: Login Window Application Started

Mar 2 13:13:26 localhost DirectoryService[47]: WARNING - dsTouch: file was asked to be opened </Library/Preferences/DirectoryService/.DSIsRunning>: (File exists)

Mar 2 13:13:26 localhost diskarbitrationd[46]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

Mar 2 13:13:26 localhost com.apple.configureLocalKDC[49]: sh: /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy: No such file or directory

Mar 2 13:13:26 localhost DirectoryService[47]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

Mar 2 13:13:26 localhost com.apple.configureLocalKDC[49]: Error: configureLocalKDC cannot parse /var/db/dslocal/nodes/Default/config/KerberosKDC.plist

Mar 2 13:13:26 localhost com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.configureLocalKDC[49]): Exited with exit code: 1

Mar 2 13:13:26 localhost loginwindow[38]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

Mar 2 13:13:26 localhost mds[36]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

Mar 2 13:13:26 localhost securityd[34]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

Mar 2 13:13:27 localhost kernel[0]: com_psystar_RealtekR1000: Ethernet address 00:24:1d:10:ee:fa

Mar 2 13:13:27 localhost mDNSResponder mDNSResponder-170 (Jan 15 2008 19:29:23)[37]: starting

Mar 2 13:13:27 localhost configd[50]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

Mar 2 13:13:27 localhost backupd-helper[64]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

Mar 2 13:13:27 localhost ifcstart[40]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

Mar 2 13:13:27 localhost CoreRAIDServer[48]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

Mar 2 13:13:28 localhost mDNSResponder[37]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

Mar 2 13:13:28 localhost /usr/sbin/ocspd[77]: starting

Mar 2 13:13:28 localhost kernel[0]: jnl: disk0s2: replay_journal: from: 38574080 to: 3645440 (joffset 0xe8e000)

Mar 2 13:13:28 localhost ATSServer[82]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

Mar 2 13:13:29 localhost kernel[0]: jnl: disk0s2: journal replay done.

Mar 2 13:13:29 localhost fseventsd[42]: event logs in /Volumes/MacOS/.fseventsd out of sync with volume. destroying old logs. (573 1 658)

Mar 2 13:13:29 localhost fseventsd[42]: log dir: /Volumes/MacOS/.fseventsd getting new uuid: 1F59760C-4218-4B95-A545-8392151E7875

Mar 2 13:13:29 morgans-ex58-ud5 configd[50]: setting hostname to "morgans-ex58-ud5.local"

Mar 2 13:13:30 morgans-ex58-ud5 mdworker[83]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

Mar 2 13:13:37 morgans-ex58-ud5 kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 == fMikeyDriver" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 1063 goto handler

Mar 2 13:13:37 morgans-ex58-ud5 kernel[0]: disk1s2: memory allocation error.

Mar 2 13:13:37 morgans-ex58-ud5 kernel[0]:

Mar 2 13:13:41: --- last message repeated 1 time ---

Mar 2 13:13:41 morgans-ex58-ud5 WindowServer[68]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

my NetworkInterfaces.plist look like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Interfaces</key>
<array>
	<dict>
		<key>Active</key>
		<true/>
		<key>BSD Name</key>
		<string>en0</string>
		<key>IOBuiltin</key>
		<false/>
		<key>IOInterfaceType</key>
		<integer>6</integer>
		<key>IOInterfaceUnit</key>
		<integer>0</integer>
		<key>IOMACAddress</key>
		<data>
		ACQdEO76
		</data>
		<key>IOPathMatch</key>
		<string>IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/PEX5@1C,5/IOPCI2PCIBridge/ethernet@0/com_psystar_RealtekR1000/IOEthernetInterface</string>
		<key>SCNetworkInterfaceType</key>
		<string>Ethernet</string>
	</dict>
	<dict>
	<key>BSD Name</key>
	<string>en3</string>
	<key>IOBuiltin</key>
	<false/>
	<integer>6</integer>
	<integer>3</integer>
	<key>IOLocation</key>
	<string></string>
	<key>IOMACAddress</key>
	<data>
	ABbPoF5V
	</data>
	<key>IOPathMatch</key>
	<string>IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/P0P3@1C,2/
	IOPCI2PCIBridge/pci14e4,4311@0/AirPort_Brcm43xx/IO80211Interface</string>
	<string>IEEE80211</string>
	</dict>		
	<dict>
		<key>Active</key>
		<true/>
		<key>BSD Name</key>
		<string>fw0</string>
		<key>IOBuiltin</key>
		<true/>
		<integer>144</integer>
		<integer>0</integer>
		<key>IOMACAddress</key>
		<data>
		ANzAtAAAH9A=
		</data>
		<key>IOPathMatch</key>
		<string>IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/HUB0@1E/IOPCI2PCIBridge/pci104c,8024@6/AppleFWOHCI/IOFireWireController/IOFireWireLocalNode/IOFireWireIP/IOFWInterface</string>
		<string>FireWire</string>
	</dict>
</array>
</dict>
</plist>

any idea?

Hello,

j'm finally install Kalyway 10.5.2 and got a trouble install Retail with standart dvd install.

Rud script, install Retail, but when is 2 min to finish, system hang on (messange u must rebot, pres power button etc.)

system log:

<snip>

any idea?

There's not a lot that looks wrong, except for the strange memory allocation error.

What motherboard and NVIDA graphic card are you using

regards,

MAJ

Edit: It looks like you only have one network enterface, so there shouldn't a conflict with the 3rd or builtin one. Do you have a wireless card plugged in?

Have you tried this extension fix? See what it does. I need feedback on this issue. First time I've heard of this issue crop with the extensions included.

Edit Sequel:

Whoops! I just looked at your network.plist again and noticed that you do have a third one listed:

Try changing the BSD Name string from "en3" to "en4" and the IOInterfaceUnit integer from "3" to "4", save, reboot, and report back.

<key>BSD Name</key>
	<string>en3</string>
	<key>IOBuiltin</key>
	<false/>
	<integer>6</integer>
	<integer>3</integer>

Maj,

I got the computer running the temp is figured out i reloaded the software figuring it would solve the voodoo kernel problem i guess i was wrong! the machine is not very stable and i cant seem to get a clear shout of the kernel panic to show you. also once it has the panic with the os it takes me to hard resets to get the machine to boot back into the os.

Any suggestions.

How can i stabilize this machine, i used your program for the install

i am running the ud5 mobo

9800gtx+ i used universal os86x to install correct info for this card

Wd 1tb black caviar

Dlink wifi card

6gb of ddr3 cosair and they are all showing up

and the i7 920 of course

i have not flashed the mobo or anything like it is stock out of box unless your software added something

Help this week has been fun and torturous at the same time

:);)

Hi guys, so i tried the install using efi partition (thanks digital-dreamer for the info :)).

1 - I used the install.sh script to prepare the partition but havent restarted when it asked me to restart

2 - I launched OSInstall package from terminal and choose my efi-ready disk then installed osx

3 - I rebooted the system, but im stuck at "waiting for root device".

Is there anything wrong in the process ?

Edit : Also i would like to know if its possible to extract the new natit.kext from netkas's 7_radeon_hd_48x0_drivers.pkg (to put in my efi partition), i tried with stuffit but no success, i tried with xar +xvf but it has extracted another .pkg file that is errored ;)

Hi guys, so i tried the install using efi partition (thanks digital-dreamer for the info :P).

1 - I used the install.sh script to prepare the partition but havent restarted when it asked me to restart

2 - I launched OSInstall package from terminal and choose my efi-ready disk then installed osx

3 - I rebooted the system, but im stuck at "waiting for root device".

Is there anything wrong in the process ?

Edit : Also i would like to know if its possible to extract the new natit.kext from netkas's 7_radeon_hd_48x0_drivers.pkg (to put in my efi partition), i tried with stuffit but no success, i tried with xar +xvf but it has extracted another .pkg file that is errored :(

Try clicking Run-Patcher and choose Y for "Install PC-EFI bootloader?". Not sure about the Radeon.

Maj,

I got the computer running the temp is figured out i reloaded the software figuring it would solve the voodoo kernel problem i guess i was wrong! the machine is not very stable and i cant seem to get a clear shout of the kernel panic to show you. also once it has the panic with the os it takes me to hard resets to get the machine to boot back into the os.

Any suggestions.

How can i stabilize this machine, i used your program for the install

i am running the ud5 mobo

9800gtx+ i used universal os86x to install correct info for this card

Wd 1tb black caviar

Dlink wifi card

6gb of ddr3 cosair and they are all showing up

and the i7 920 of course

i have not flashed the mobo or anything like it is stock out of box unless your software added something

Help this week has been fun and torturous at the same time

:(:blink:

Hmmm. That's odd. I have basically the same setup (chip, mobo, ram, gpu) and mine worked perfectly except it shows 4gb RAM instead of 6. Re-check your firmware and let us know the version.

here are the pics from my computer i didnt change the memory or anything it was just there

i also included a pic of the panic i get

Where can i fing the firmware ver for mobo ?

here is the panic

post-373448-1236049186_thumb.gif

post-373448-1236050388_thumb.gif

i am on bios f4

bios part number 7a89qg05

that is all i see hope it helps figuring this out

Thanks in advance

i am on bios f4

Thanks in advance

i am on bios f4

Thanks in advance

i am on bios f4

Thanks in advance

Yertil,

At what point does this KP occur? Is it random or during any particular activity?

What speed is your DDR3 RAM good for and what is the BIOS set for?

regards,

MAJ

Obsolete. I got it working at... http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1098776

digital_dreamer, thank you, and, there may be a couple fine points from my experience you could pull into his topmost post. I guess I found it a little confusing that the default values in the script, most of the time you do not want the default. My biggest question though is, I can go straight after wolfienuke method without doing digital_dreamer method first? wolfienuke seems too deceptively simple.

- Downloaded latest F5 BIOS. Put it on a memory stick and moved it onto a pc to .exe it, though I am thinking maybe I could just unzip it on mac and ignore the .exe. Hit DEL, went into BIOS and F8 to update BIOS. Then later updated to the BIOS settings in the .jpg in digital_dreamer's first post. Make sure also boot from CD is above boot from HDD.

- Apple officially released 10.5.0 and lately a 10.5.6 dual layer DVD. Got the latest 10.5.6 version.

- OP used Kalyway, trying a Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD now Kalyway_Leopard_10.5.2_DVD_Intel_Amd. Only Custom I did on the install was video drivers. I screwed up and forgot this machine has an ATI not an nVidia. Fortunately Kalyway let me recover "Notes: if you have problems on reboot with video gfx (blue or black screen) All you have to do is just press F8 at Darwin's prompt and then type -s (single user mode) then at root type mount -uw /and /movevideodrivers. then it will be prompt to move video drivers by class ( nvidia ; ati ; or intel gma) voila!"

Inserted SSD drive into 2.5-to-3.5 converter box from IcyDock. Screwed converter box into sled. Inserted sled into hot swap bay. Because I had set AHCI in the BIOS above, AHCI gives hot swap, and OS X was able to recognize the drive, ask if I wanted to initialize. I did, making sure to use GUID because I actually want the wolfienuke EFI install, and am currently under the mistaken impression that I need to do the digital_dreamer install first. Several linux tutorials say SSD do not require journalling for 2 reasons: SSD are very reliable, and journalling slows performance by updating modified date on files so oftent. Also, if you ever want to use Adobe products, they hate mixed case file systems, so avoid that too. Finally found where Apple hit the GUID partition option: its under the partition tab in Disk Manager.

Download Gigabyte X58 Mobo Boot-132 Installer. (8MB)

Double-click RUN-PATCHER and enter your password.

"Install PC-EFI bootloader (pre-patch)?" why is default NO?

I selected 'y' it thought about it for a bit and posted some messages, then said SUCCESSFUL

"Make this drive active" here default is NO. maybe they are just trying to be safe. but again, I enter 'y'.

x58_patcher.sh: line 321 logs/install.log: no such file or directory

run installer: entered default Y. Suggest to add option for "Hell Yeah!".

(require 11.4 GB. Good thing this SSD is 32.)

My 10.5.6 retail DVD is in the DVD drive. Enter and continue.

Whoops. I should have customized and left out all those printer drivers and maybe some languages.

Modify Boot plist? Hmm... what to do... scratched my head for 10 minutes... ok lets go for it.

Ha ha, not implemented yet.

Post patch script? Yes.

"0 alias CPU lines were discovered and removed"

Wow, that's in red, wonder if red means something bad happened?

OK File Permissions repaired. Shutting down and rebooting...

Mac gives a message about updating boot caches.

Shutdown completes, I remove Leopard retail DVD and original kaly HDD, to boot purely from the new SSD.

Seems to reboot itself twice. OK I read that this is normal for Gigabyte cold start.

Gets to com_psystar_RealtekR1000: ethernet

...and hangs there.

OK I put the kaly 10.5.2 instaled HDD back in, and now the system boots again.

Maybe the retail 10.5.6 I put on the second SDD can still be salvaged.

In other words, I only put on Kaly so I could install a retail 10.5.6 on the second disk, then hand that disk over to wolfienuke. I guess even the purified instructions at the top of this thread are too confusing for me.

So from wolfienuke's page, I download EFI Boot Installer click download arrow.

When it says "would you like increase kext version numbers" I am not sure what this means; I took the default 'n'.

After it finishes I boot off the targeted SSD drive that has been smacked around as decribed above.

And now it hangs at...

indexSDB in SI Consistency Check: starting internal consistency check for //

Frustrating. At least I hope the above shows the kind of confusion that is possible. I guess I still have some fundamental misunderstanding. I have a UD5 that will boot a kaly 10.5.2, that is about as far as I got. I have a retail 10.5.6 DVD. And I have a target SSD disk that is GUID partitioned. And I can make the retail install onto it. Not sure why I'm failing to get from the above to a wolfienuke boot 132 10.5.6 that boots by itself off the single target SSD drive. Is it wrong to use the latest 10.5.6 retail DVD?

I mean the goal of this genius bar post is that you only need to read the first two posts and someone of moderate technical skill can get it working. I don't mean at all to criticize you. The first two posts are full of stuff where experts talk to experts, and not a simple "here is how EFI works and the goal for how your boot disk will be partitioned and operate" followed by a "follow these 4 steps". Maybe move all the expert stuff to end of post #2.

Yertil,

At what point does this KP occur? Is it random or during any particular activity?

What speed is your DDR3 RAM good for and what is the BIOS set for?

regards,

MAJ

Yea, is it happening when you are opening a dmg??

The only real difference between our systems is that I am running f3. I really don't know if this would make a difference though. What firmware are you running digital_dreamer?

I am running f6a, because it fixes a nasty bootleg vista bug with the easytune and energy saver. Works like butter.

@ luh3417

Edit:Edit your post so it doesn't appear twice. I would have quoted you but that would have gotten ugly.

I believe that the things you mentioned are not default because you are only going to do a pre-patch once (hopefully). After that, you can add kexts or edit your .plist, and then run the script again to update the info, rather than patching again. Correct me if I am wrong.

I am running f6a, because it fixes a nasty bootleg vista bug with the easytune and energy saver. Works like butter.

Hmmm, maybe I will update. I am so hesitant though. :unsure: