[GUIDE] Retail OS X Install (10.5.8) on Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 (Core i7) Mobo

digital_dreamer

3,054 posts in this topic

i have one question do i need to have windows or any from of Microsoft software up and running n my build before i put the osx software on it. i hope no because i do not own any . been a mac guy for 20 years.

Thank you again

Adam

Sure dont :D ...good job picking your components

Sure dont :) ...good job picking your components

Thanks i did about 6 months of research actually i do a lot of music recording and graphic design so i wanted something that would be fast plus i feel like apple is going to use a similar setup in there next mac pro so keeping it up to date should be easy :D

Greetings!

This setup is my first dive into running a retail install of leopard, I am up and running with the following procedure -

1)Installed iPC

2)Ran wolf's script on another drive

3)Installed retail OSX (10.5.4)

I can boot into the retail install no problems and everything is working for me with the exception of sound. I have tried what seems to be about everything and so far I cannot get any damn sound out of this machine :D I have tried adding additional kexts to the extensions folder (efi partition via wolf's script) and nothing seems to work. As a last ditch effort I upgraded to 10.5.5 (direct download from mac site) and I still could not get sound to work.

Greetings!

This setup is my first dive into running a retail install of leopard, I am up and running with the following procedure -

1)Installed iPC

2)Ran wolf's script on another drive

3)Installed retail OSX (10.5.4)

I can boot into the retail install no problems and everything is working for me with the exception of sound. I have tried what seems to be about everything and so far I cannot get any damn sound out of this machine ;) I have tried adding additional kexts to the extensions folder (efi partition via wolf's script) and nothing seems to work. As a last ditch effort I upgraded to 10.5.5 (direct download from mac site) and I still could not get sound to work.

Need more information. Don't have any idea what motherboard you are running, though I assume it's the UD5.

Nothing shows in System Profiler? Nothing in System Preferences? Which audio port are you using?

Check Console for sound related system messages:

Pull up System log and back up to time of boot and see if anything shows up regarding HDAEnabler.kext, HDAController, or LegacyHDAPlatformDriver.

All that should go a long way in zeroing in on the issue.

regards,

MAJ

EDIT: I don't exactly which kexts wolfienuke is using with the script, but if he included the latest HDA stuff, they were setup with 10.5.6 in mind. So, if all else fails, try upgrading to 10.5.6.

Need more information. Don't have any idea what motherboard you are running, though I assume it's the UD5.

Nothing shows in System Profiler? Nothing in System Preferences? Which audio port are you using?

Check Console for sound related system messages:

Pull up System log and back up to time of boot and see if anything shows up regarding HDAEnabler.kext, HDAController, or LegacyHDAPlatformDriver.

All that should go a long way in zeroing in on the issue.

regards,

MAJ

EX58-UD3R actually - I was assuming that this board uses the AL889a - When I check dmesg I can see stuff about the HDAEnabler and I was seeing the "Sound assertion "0 != result" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 2742 goto handler" message on boot.

In the system profiler under Audio I have a device "partially" listed - but It does not list any real information about the audio device and It does not show up in the system prefs.

OK - Upgraded to 10.5.6 (voodoo 9.5, stock seatbelt.kext)

Loaded up wolf's stock Extensions (minus seatbelt.kext), only EFI string in my plist is for 8800GT, that is working fine.

Still....no sound.

Bootup Activity -

Feb 23 18:20:10 localhost kernel[0]: extension "com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController" cannot be found
Feb 23 18:20:10 localhost kernel[0]: can't find extension com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController
Feb 23 18:20:10 localhost kernel[0]: Can't determine dependencies for com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController.
Feb 23 18:20:10 localhost kernel[0]: HDAEnabler: Copyright (c) 2008 by Kabyl
Feb 23 18:20:10 localhost kernel[0]: HDAEnabler: 05/05/2008 Added SPAudio support:Taruga
Feb 23 18:20:10 localhost kernel[0]: Couldn't alloc class "AppleHDAController"

Feb 23 18:20:23 somelusers-macpro31ss1 kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 == pathMap_aDriverInstance" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 1327 goto Exit
Feb 23 18:20:23 somelusers-macpro31ss1 kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 != createAudioEngines ( fPathMap_aDriverInstance )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 127 goto Exit
Feb 23 18:20:23 somelusers-macpro31ss1 kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 == pathMap_aDriverInstance" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 1327 goto Exit
Feb 23 18:20:23 somelusers-macpro31ss1 kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 != createAudioEngines ( fPathMap_aDriverInstance )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 127 goto Exit

I am reading this thread for the first time, and I just cant figure out the tutorial for the second method (where you can update from apple). Where does the second method start? because when I start reading the second post it seems like there are no instructions.

does anyone want to make a super simple few sentence explanation of what I have to do so that I can look at the "steps" and understand the order and such.

I am reading this thread for the first time, and I just cant figure out the tutorial for the second method (where you can update from apple). Where does the second method start? because when I start reading the second post it seems like there are no instructions.

does anyone want to make a super simple few sentence explanation of what I have to do so that I can look at the "steps" and understand the order and such.

Get 2 hard drives with one having iPC (or iatkos) and another having been guid partitioned by the iPC install. Now open your retail disk with terminal by pointing to your drive and going to the /System/Installation/Pack ages. Then type "open osinstall.mpkg" . Next update to 10.5.6, then open wolfienuke's script and point it to the retail install and then you are finished.

Got sound working - used "Realtek ALC888 Address 0" from the following thread - http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=129058

Great!

Didn't get here soon enough, but I was going to tell you that the board you have uses a Realtek ALC888, not the 889A that the UD5 has. Glad you found the solution. It's more rewarding when you figure it out on your own, right? :)

regards,

MAJ

When trying to load iPC Universal 10.5.6 my system boots to the disk, shows the white screen with Apple logo for a split second, and then reboots. Any suggestions are appreciated.

System includes:

UD5

i7 920

Corsair 6gb @ 1600

EVGA 9800gtx+

When trying to load iPC Universal 10.5.6 my system boots to the disk, shows the white screen with Apple logo for a split second, and then reboots. Any suggestions are appreciated.

System includes:

UD5

i7 920

Corsair 6gb @ 1600

EVGA 9800gtx+

This is basically a iPC issue. I don't know what kernel iPC is using, but if it's using the Voodoo kernel, then you need to boot with the busratio=20 flag. Granted, without the "busratio=20" (without quotes) flag on the Voodoo kernel, I'm not sure you would even get to the Apple logo during boot. Include the -v flag, too, at the prompt. That will put you in verbose mode and will dump the System log on screen. Try to catch messages before restart.

If you don't get a prompt at boot time, then we can't help you. Try looking in the iPC thread for support.

regards,

MAJ

System includes:

UD5

i7 920

Corsair 6gb @ 1600

EVGA 9800gtx+

Sounds just like what I ran into when I first started installing on my new system busratio=20 fixed it right up.

Great!

Didn't get here soon enough, but I was going to tell you that the board you have uses a Realtek ALC888, not the 889A that the UD5 has. Glad you found the solution. It's more rewarding when you figure it out on your own, right? ;)

regards,

MAJ

Exactly - I have been a lurker on this site for awhile and this was my first post, you can imagine how frustrating it was to be trying to get sound working using the 889A kexts. Other than this oversight on my part the guides provided on this thread made the process extremely easy. Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread!

Get 2 hard drives with one having iPC (or iatkos) and another having been guid partitioned by the iPC install. Now open your retail disk with terminal by pointing to your drive and going to the /System/Installation/Pack ages. Then type "open osinstall.mpkg" . Next update to 10.5.6, then open wolfienuke's script and point it to the retail install and then you are finished.

wait. so you install a patched osx to install the retail?

and how would I go about dual booting with vista? when do i install vista?

If I want to have a hard drive for vista, a hard drive for data, and a hard drive for osx, can I do that? would I then need another hard drive for the guid partition?

can you have a data hard drive that can be accessed by both pc and mac?

I got VMWare Fusion to run on my machine without KP's ! ;)

Specs:

Intel i7 920 @ 3.8Ghz

eVGA nVidia 9600GT 512 ( with efi-string )

Windows on SATA-disk

Mac OS X 10.5.6 (EFI-partition from guide) on SATA-disk

The key to this all was inserting the efi-string for my GFX-card AND the efi-string for ethernet (Time-machine fix from OSX86Tools ) in my com.apple.Boot.plist . Could somebody confirm this ?

Mike

i added the macmodel=MacPro3,1 to my boot.plist in the EFI partition but it has had no effect. any computers on my network still show the generic thumbnail instead of a mac pro, and system profiler hasn't changed. is there anything else you have to do to enable this?

Sorry, ѕӎѳѳ

I looked into this again and found a path error in my script. (Extra slash) Oops!

I'm rewriting the script where you'll just need to input the text in the Terminal at the prompt to change those system info strings. No need to dig into the plists and strings themselves. Model Name is done, just got to do the finishing touches on the "Unknown CPU type". Kind of tricky. Probably be done tonight.

Maybe I can include an option to change the "About This Mac" graphic, too.

I have the DSDT script auto detecting the "Alias" lines and deleting them for those ASUS board users, as well.

regards,

MAJ

I got VMWare Fusion to run on my machine without KP's ! :)

Specs:

Intel i7 920 @ 3.8Ghz

Windows on SATA-disk

The key to this all was inserting the efi-string for my GFX-card AND the efi-string for ethernet (Time-machine fix from OSX86Tools ) in my com.apple.Boot.plist . Could somebody confirm this ?

Mike

Got really excited there...but alas, no worky for me.

Just to confirm, all you've done is add

<string>4b00000001000000010000003f0000000100000002010c00d041030a0100000001010600041c
101060000007fff0400160000006200750069006c0074002d0069006e0000000500000001</string>

Is that correct?

I got VMWare Fusion to run on my machine without KP's ! :)

Specs:

Intel i7 920 @ 3.8Ghz

Windows on SATA-disk

Mike

Let's confirm: You have it working with the Boot from EFI partition setup (wolfienuke's script)?

So, you tried VMware without the strings and no go? It was ONLY after inserting the strings you were able to run VMware?

I had my working in the Boot from EFI setup, too, but that's history. I never intentionally added a EFI string in the boot.plist, so I don't know where that leaves me.

Thanks for the news!

regards,

MAJ

Let's confirm: You have it working with the Boot from EFI partition setup (wolfienuke's script)?

So, you tried VMware without the strings and no go? It was ONLY after inserting the strings you were able to run VMware?

I had my working in the Boot from EFI setup, too, but that's history. I never intentionally added a EFI string in the boot.plist, so I don't know where that leaves me.

Thanks for the news!

regards,

MAJ

Did you have any joy with this MAJ?

Also can you test something for me please? I've recently set up all computers on my network using static IPs. I've set up all Macs to use "Using DHCP with Manual Address" - This works fine until I slept my i7 Hack (connected via ethernet), on wake it doesn't reconnect. I tried to enter all the info in manually but this also didn't work. No biggie but would just like to confirm what does and doesn't work for others.

thanks

Hi guys, just wondering if someone has a positive install using EFI Partition on a GA-EX58-UD4 or GA-EX58-UD4P (as i can see same specs than UD5) ? Thanks in advance for your answer, i would like to buy one of those cards but dunno if its working..

Please help me, I don't have any idea what j f..... doing wrong....!

My hardware:

GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5

i7 920 not overcloked

3x2GB Kingston

GIGABYTE 9800GTX 1GB

2x Segate 500GB

1x Samsung 500GB on e-sata

Currently, I'm working on MS Vista x64 on RAID (2xSegate 500GB) everything is fine now. But when trying install any dystrybution: iDeneb 10.5.6 - auto restart after pass instalation, iPC - don't start, Kalyway 10.5.2 don't boot.. about Retail j don't have dreaming....

iDeneb install on Samsung@e-sata, system restart after pass instalation and loading 1-2 sek then automaticly restart again and again, and again....

RAID stay left with Vista, instalation on empty Samsung and he isn't part of RAID of corse, j don't have any errors when install. Kalyway; my hope  boot and give me mess System config file ".../com.apple.boot.plist" not found

Any sugestions?

My target is Retail, but I have MS only now............

And to the end of my noob storry, sorry fom my english!

Please help me, I don't have any idea what j f..... doing wrong....!

My hardware:

GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5

i7 920 not overcloked

3x2GB Kingston

GIGABYTE 9800GTX 1GB

2x Segate 500GB

1x Samsung 500GB on e-sata

Currently, I'm working on MS Vista x64 on RAID (2xSegate 500GB) everything is fine now. But when trying install any dystrybution: iDeneb 10.5.6 - auto restart after pass instalation, iPC - don't start, Kalyway 10.5.2 don't boot.. about Retail j don't have dreaming....

iDeneb install on Samsung@e-sata, system restart after pass instalation and loading 1-2 sek then automaticly restart again and again, and again....

RAID stay left with Vista, instalation on empty Samsung and he isn't part of RAID of corse, j don't have any errors when install. Kalyway; my hope boot and give me mess System config file ".../com.apple.boot.plist" not found

Any sugestions?

My target is Retail, but I have MS only now............

And to the end of my noob storry, sorry fom my english!

Keep tweaking the setting on your distribution cd's. Use retail setup once you get everything working. If you cant get distro cd's to work then tell us what you clicked in the installer cd to get it installed.

Did you have any joy with this MAJ?

Also can you test something for me please? I've recently set up all computers on my network using static IPs. I've set up all Macs to use "Using DHCP with Manual Address" - This works fine until I slept my i7 Hack (connected via ethernet), on wake it doesn't reconnect. I tried to enter all the info in manually but this also didn't work. No biggie but would just like to confirm what does and doesn't work for others.

thanks

Cosmin Petre,

Haven't had much time to troubleshoot VMware stuff, yet. But, would like to soon.

Do you happen to know which RealtekR1000.kext you have installed? There are two versions: One is the original 1.0.4 version from SourceForge.net and the other is a modified version of that one from Psystar, version 1.8.1. The 1.0.4 version has wake from sleep issues when using DHCP, but the Psystar is appears to have that fixed. I've never tried the DHCP w/manual address, so can't presently comment on that aspect. But, I'd imagine that if it has trouble getting a IP in the full DHCP mode, it may have trouble getting the rest of the info even when the manual IP has been provided manually. Just a guess.

If you have the Psystar version and have these issues, I guess that feature was not implemented. I'd have to test it out, like you said.

If you're trying to connect manually, make sure you are using a IP that's outside the DHCP pool.

regards,

MAJ