[GUIDE] Retail OS X Install (10.5.8) on Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 (Core i7) Mobo

digital_dreamer

3,054 posts in this topic

Ok, so I dont have to do digital dreamers method before running wolfienuke's script do I? It just can be a regular OS X install to run the script right? Like it dont have to be a vanilla install or anything special? All I did was connected the hard drive to my mac pro and installed original OS X on it then ran wolfienuke's script. Thats all I have done. What am i missing?

Processor: Intel Core i7 920

MotherBoard: GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5

Graphics: EVGA 512-P3-N879-AR GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB

Memory: OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

HD: Samsung 1TB

I am having a bit of trouble, it could also be my graphics cards, I am using a nvidia 9800GTX+. Is there a compatibility issue their or do I need a driver? What is a good card that will work?

Thank you guys sooo much!!

Go here for your 9800GTX+ follow the instructions. After you have the strings recognizing your card properly you should get QE/CI. Thenafter run the 9 series driver installer posted in the link by DD one post up. It enhances the performance. I can run COD4 @ 1920x1200 on max settings here. :)

She's ALIVE!!

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5, i7 920, 3x2GB Corsair EMS3, Sapphire ATI HD 3870, Samsung Spinpoint 1 TB

I've tried wolfienuke's method several times, but I can't get it to boot. Am I missing anything other than running the script post OS X install? I am currently up and running using d_d's method (well written!). At this point, I'm not going to fret too much that I'm not using the EFI boot method. Chameleon and Snow Leopard are coming up soon and I'll re-do the install again then.

Haven't played with it much yet - got it running late last night and this morning it finished pulling my files via Migration Assistant. I need to tweak my profile a bit - it is showing as MacBookPro5,1 and only 2 memory banks are installed, even though it shows 6 GB. And I need to figure out how to boot into a second Windows drive. I have some reading to do (while at work :P )

I just want to bask in the warm glow of OS X on i7. :)

Congratulations, mouser71!

You can change the model name by adding the kernel tags in the boot.plist "macmodel=somemacmodel". Look toward the bottom of my updated guide (first page) regarding what are valid Mac models.

All of us have only two memory banks being recognized in the System Profiler. It's only cosmetic and it's due to the way the AppleBIOS.kext is reading the board information. Not much we can do until someone finds a way around it or updates the code for our board. There's a user on this forum who has been modifying the AppleBIOS for various boards and CPUs, but it's very board/model/CPU specific.

Selecting a different drive at the Darwin prompt is pretty easy. Although you may have figured it out by now, you can hit ESC at the prompt and key in the drive identifier in hex (80, 81, 82, etc.) to select the hard drives. It will then list the partitions you can select from there.

regards,

MAJ

post-305243-1234043422_thumb.pngFor those (like me) who where waiting for ATI 4800 graphic card support, there is proof of ATI HD4800 graphic card series support in Snow Leopard 10.6 Dev 10A261.

source:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...mp;st=480

At last some real hope for replacement ATI GPU for MacPro owners and hackintosh ! Yessssssss :)

ATI4800controller.kext driver version 1.6.0.45

<key>Controller</key>

<dict>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.kext.ATI4800Controller</string>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>ATI4800Controller</string>

<key>IOMatchCategory</key>

<string>IOFramebuffer</string>

<key>IOName</key>

<string>ATI4800Controller</string>

<key>IONameMatch</key>

<array>

<string>pci1002,9440</string>

<string>pci1002,9456</string>

</array>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<integer>65000</integer>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOPCIDevice</string>

</dict>

Arobasefr

First, I want to thank everybody who has worked on this, especially DD.

I have a question - I've seen in some of the other threads, varying degrees of success in regards to VMWare or Parallels working with i7 setups.

Has anybody using the methods in this thread successfully ran VMWare or Parallels with this motherboard?

This was in the first post:

"A symlink is created linking to this kernel so that VMware Fusion, which expects to see the default name, "mach_kernel", may function. This is not to say VMware Fusion is fully operational on this system at this time, but this step will remove at least one obstacle to that solution."

And there have been a few posts in this thread bringing the topic up, but nothing as far as "it works great".

I'm pretty excited by the Core i7 series - I have an older Mac Pro that would be blown away by one of these, but VMWare or Parallels is kind of a deal-breaker to me.

Thanks again.

Go here for your 9800GTX+ follow the instructions. After you have the strings recognizing your card properly you should get QE/CI. Thenafter run the 9 series driver installer posted in the link by DD one post up. It enhances the performance. I can run COD4 @ 1920x1200 on max settings here. :hysterical:

Awesome I got it working!! Although i have a few issues I would like to resolve if anyone knows anything about this:

1. I cannot play Call of Duty 4 on the Mac, it quits unexpectingly.

2. The only way for me to connect something USB or FireWire and have it be recognized is to connect it before i start the computer.

I have not tried to install other programs yet, although i am installing CS4 and Final Cut Studio 2.

Thanks.

I would also like to thank the people who made this possible on this hardware.

I recently upgraded to this board from the P5W DH Deluxe. Things are working pretty good so far.

I have installed VMware Fusion 2.0.1 and it works fine with Voodoo Kernel, as long as you adhere to the kernel naming conventions.

I have installed Windows XP and Fedora in virtual machines so far and they run fine.

I have not tried Parallels with this hardware.

First, I want to thank everybody who has worked on this, especially DD.

I have a question - I've seen in some of the other threads, varying degrees of success in regards to VMWare or Parallels working with i7 setups.

Has anybody using the methods in this thread successfully ran VMWare or Parallels with this motherboard?

This was in the first post:

"A symlink is created linking to this kernel so that VMware Fusion, which expects to see the default name, "mach_kernel", may function. This is not to say VMware Fusion is fully operational on this system at this time, but this step will remove at least one obstacle to that solution."

And there have been a few posts in this thread bringing the topic up, but nothing as far as "it works great".

I'm pretty excited by the Core i7 series - I have an older Mac Pro that would be blown away by one of these, but VMWare or Parallels is kind of a deal-breaker to me.

Thanks again.

Ah! I spoke too soon and didn't clarify. It does work on the Boot-132 Standard Retail DVD setup, but not the Boot from EFI Partition method. I should mention that in the guide. Thanks for the heads up.

EDIT!: Spoke too soon, again! Ever since I've had my Hackintosh running on both Boot-132 and EFI Partition Boot, I've installed VMware a number of times, only to get a KP when attempting to run the virtual OS.

On the Boot-132 setup, I tried again with a uninstall first, deleted any existing virtual machines and preferences, and got this message: "VMware Fusion cannot connect to the virtual machine. Make sure you have rights to run the program and to access all directories it uses and rights to access all directories for temporary files." So, I ran the following command in Terminal to reboot the VMware daemon, as it wasn't running for some reason:

sudo /Library/Application\ Support/VMware\ Fusion/boot.sh --restart

That got the VM going and was able to launch Vista. However, the Vista launch got a blue screen with "STOP 0x0000007B" error. I applied the MS hot fix for multicore-processor computer running a VM and don't have any issues any more.

After these fixes, I was able to run it with the Boot from EFI Partition method with no problems, as well. The MS hot fix applies only to Vista, so I'd like to know of any others that are able to run VMs with the Boot from EFI setup on this UD5 board.

Awesome I got it working!! Although i have a few issues I would like to resolve if anyone knows anything about this:

1. I cannot play Call of Duty 4 on the Mac, it quits unexpectingly.

2. The only way for me to connect something USB or FireWire and have it be recognized is to connect it before i start the computer.

I have not tried to install other programs yet, although i am installing CS4 and Final Cut Studio 2.

Thanks.

Regarding COD, at what point does it quit? May be a graphics card/driver issue. Can you provide a log from the Console crash reporter?

Regarding the USB/FireWire hot-plugging issue, this is a common issue when using the Voodoo 9.5 kernel on 10.5.5 and 10.5.6.

I would update to the Voodoo-based 9.6 kernel, as that would fix the problem.

regards,

MAJ

Ah! I spoke too soon and didn't clarify. It does work on the Boot-132 Standard Retail DVD setup, but not the Boot from EFI Partition method. I should mention that in the guide. Thanks for the heads up.

EDIT!: Spoke too soon, again! Ever since I've had my Hackintosh running on both Boot-132 and EFI Partition Boot, I've installed VMware a number of times, only to get a KP when attempting to run the virtual OS.

On the Boot-132 setup, I tried again with a uninstall first, deleted any existing virtual machines and preferences, and got this message: "VMware Fusion cannot connect to the virtual machine. Make sure you have rights to run the program and to access all directories it uses and rights to access all directories for temporary files." So, I ran the following command in Terminal to reboot the VMware daemon, as it wasn't running for some reason:

sudo /Library/Application\ Support/VMware\ Fusion/boot.sh --restart

That got the VM going and was able to launch Vista. However, the Vista launch got a blue screen with "STOP 0x0000007B" error. I applied the MS hot fix for multicore-processor computer running a VM and don't have any issues any more.

After these fixes, I was able to run it with the Boot from EFI Partition method with no problems, as well. The MS hot fix applies only to Vista, so I'd like to know of any others that are able to run VMs with the Boot from EFI setup on this UD5 board.

Regarding COD, at what point does it quit? May be a graphics card/driver issue. Can you provide a log from the Console crash reporter?

Regarding the USB/FireWire hot-plugging issue, this is a common issue when using the Voodoo 9.5 kernel on 10.5.5 and 10.5.6.

I would update to the Voodoo-based 9.6 kernel, as that would fix the problem.

regards,

MAJ

Thanks DD!!

Yea it was a graphics driver issue, I think I got it corrected, but it is now saying I only have 256mb when I acully have 512. Oh well.

It hought updating to voodoo 9.6 would fix it, but everytime I do and never acully updates. And one more thing, all my ".kexts" are showing as folders and not files. Theirfor Ic annot install new ones becasue they are folders. Any ideas?

Thanks DD!!

Yea it was a graphics driver issue, I think I got it corrected, but it is now saying I only have 256mb when I acully have 512. Oh well.

It hought updating to voodoo 9.6 would fix it, but everytime I do and never acully updates. And one more thing, all my ".kexts" are showing as folders and not files. Theirfor Ic annot install new ones becasue they are folders. Any ideas?

You must have downloaded the wrong template for the gfx in.plist

Thanks DD!!

Sounds like a file association issue.

Have you repaired permissions from Disk Utility? If you have and it doesn't fix the issue, try rebuilding launch services in Terminal:

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user

This will also reset all 'Open with Application...' warning dialogs. But, you're on a new install, so that doesn't matter.

RE: Voodoo 9.6: Are you saying you installed 9.6 and still have the USB/FireWire hot-plugging issue? Was the matching System.kext installed with it?

regards,

MAJ

Go here for your 9800GTX+ follow the instructions. After you have the strings recognizing your card properly you should get QE/CI. Thenafter run the 9 series driver installer posted in the link by DD one post up. It enhances the performance. I can run COD4 @ 1920x1200 on max settings here. :D

hm can you run the single player? When I click the icon it launches and then closes immediately. Multiplayer works just fine though. Can you think of why this might be happening?

Maj, Can you explain in detail the process for getting VMWare Fusion working on EFI Boot.

I have made a symlink of the voodoo kernel and renamed it mach_kernel and moved to root of my EFI partition. I then installed Fusion 2, but before I could install Vista and apply the microsoft hotfix I get a kernel panic. Please can you clarify the process including when (and how) to run the hotfix.

Thanks

Maj, Can you explain in detail the process for getting VMWare Fusion working on EFI Boot.

I have made a symlink of the voodoo kernel and renamed mach_kernel and moved to root of my EFI partition. I then installed Fusion 2, but before I could install Vista and apply the microsoft hotfix I get a kernel panic. Please can you clarify the process including when (and how) to run the hotfix.

Thanks

With the EFI Partition boot setup (I assume you're referring to wolfienuke's script), I didn't bother with the symlink, as there's no need for it; just rename the Voodoo kernel to "mach_kernel". (If you go this route, make sure the installed boot.plist is updated for that name change.) The reason for the symlink on the main partition is that we want to give the kernel a different name (mach_kernel.voodoo) so that it doesn't get replaced by Apple software updates. The symlink will direct software (i.e. VMWare Fusion) looking for "mach_kernel" to "mach_kernel.voodoo". Apple's updates doesn't involve anything on the EFI partition, so name changes aren't necessary there.

I booted into Vista natively, not through a VM, to install the hotfix. That's the trick.

regards,

MAJ

With the EFI Partition boot setup (I assume you're referring to wolfienuke's script), I didn't bother with the symlink, as there's no need for it; just rename the Voodoo kernel to "mach_kernel". (If you go this route, make sure the installed boot.plist is updated for that name change.) The reason for the symlink on the main partition is that we want to give the kernel a different name (mach_kernel.voodoo) so that it doesn't get replaced by Apple software updates. The symlink will direct software (i.e. VMWare Fusion) looking for "mach_kernel" to "mach_kernel.voodoo". Apple's updates doesn't involve anything on the EFI partition, so name changes aren't necessary there.

I booted into Vista natively, not through a VM, to install the hotfix. That's the trick.

regards,

MAJ

Thanks MAJ,

So, I boot into Vista (installed natively on my other disk) and run the hotfix from there? How does this have any effect on the VM? Some sort of BIOS change? Please excuse my ignorance

cheers

VMWARE:

about the virtualisation, does it mean it works from now? Do you need to have 10.5.6 andy v dijk kernel and the right kernel name/ symlink? than its fixed?

I don't know exactly why it's working now. :)

Something's changed in the setup. I doubt it's Andy's Voodoo-based 9.6 kernel, as I tried it after that install initially. And, I had always used the conventional name, "mach_kernel", so that wasn't the issue. I tried VMware Fusion 2.0.1 after it was released and still got a KP.

It could be the HDA audio updates, but I doubt that, as well. But, I can't think of anything else responsible. I'd need to do some tests and get some more feedback from you guys to settle this, as I'll always wonder what the issue was and won't be able to sleep. :o

regards,

MAJ

Thanks MAJ,

So, I boot into Vista (installed natively on my other disk) and run the hotfix from there? How does this have any effect on the VM? Some sort of BIOS change? Please excuse my ignorance

cheers

You got it right.

But, were you able to start Vista in Fusion without a KP? If not, then the hotfix doesn't apply, yet.

This is where I always stalled before: I was trying to boot XP Pro and it always KP. The hotfix won't solve that issue. It's only for fixing the Vista bluescreen (Win KP) as it starts and it's Vista specific.

I have NTFS-3G installed with MacFUSE, too, so I can transfer files from and to the Windows NTFS partition. Now, I remember I had a FAT32 partition when trying to work with XP.

regards,

MAJ

You got it right.

But, were you able to start Vista in Fusion without a KP? If not, then the hotfix doesn't apply, yet.

This is where I always stalled before: I was trying to boot XP Pro and it always KP. The hotfix won't solve that issue. It's only for fixing the Vista bluescreen (Win KP) as it starts and it's Vista specific.

I have NTFS-3G installed with MacFUSE, too, so I can transfer files from and to the Windows NTFS partition. Now, I remember I had a FAT32 partition when trying to work with XP.

regards,

MAJ

OK - so I seem to be in the same position you were in previously. On my EFI partition I renamed to mach_kernel and updated the boot .plist. On reboot I tried VMware Fusion Version 2.0.1 (128865) and again it KPs.

Are you suggesting that installing NTFS-3G might have something to do with (your install) now functioning?

cheers

OK - so I seem to be in the same position you were in previously. On my EFI partition I renamed to mach_kernel and updated the boot .plist. On reboot I tried VMware Fusion Version 2.0.1 (128865) and again it KPs.

Are you suggesting that installing NTFS-3G might have something to do with (your install) now functioning?

cheers

I don't know. Worth a try.

I'm trying to mention all the things that may be different on my system than a few weeks ago.

Do you have the updated HDA kexts mentioned in my guide? (actually, the legacy versions for EFI boot?)

This is definitely puzzling! I got proof with that screenshot on my guide!

What I might do is, when I get home from work, upload the Boot from EFI kexts I have running and you can see if that makes a difference. If not, it's something else I have installed in the main partition.

EDIT: Another thing I know I have different is I have the Gigabyte SATA controller on (JMicron) with AHCI enabled. I had added a eSATA drive on those ports, but it works better with the Intel SATA bus, so that's where it stays. It hangs up the system when the drives go to sleep on the JMicron ports.

This could be BIOS related, as I know VMware polls the hardware when creating a new VM, and that's where it appears to KP. I'll check my settings and record more details.

EDIT: The Sequel: Is VMware Fusion able to create a vmx file? Located at:

/Users/my_name/Documents/Virtual Machines/Windows Vista.vmwarevm/Windows Vista.vmx

If you can post that text file, I'll compare it with mine.

The vmware.log would be helpful, too. (Inside the Vista Virtual Machines package.)

regards,

MAJ

Do you have the updated HDA kexts mentioned in my guide? (actually, the legacy versions for EFI boot?)

Yes, I'm using the updated ones you linked to a while back that get rid of the sound assertion warnings. I used all the kexts you included in that package.

Just for your information my EFI extensions folder contains the following kexts:

• AppleSMBIOS
  • dsmos
  • HDAEnabler
  • IONetwokingFamily
  • LegacyAppleAHCIPort
  • LegacyAppleIntelPIIXATA
  • LegacyHDAController
  • LegacyHDAPlatformDriver
  • LegacyIOAHCIBlockStorage
  • LegacyJMicronATA
  • SMBIOSEnabler
  • System

Go here for your 9800GTX+ follow the instructions. After you have the strings recognizing your card properly you should get QE/CI. Thenafter run the 9 series driver installer posted in the link by DD one post up. It enhances the performance. I can run COD4 @ 1920x1200 on max settings here. :thumbsup_anim:

Got it thanks!! Works 100%!! :D

Hi

Have you guys tried VirtualBox?

It's a FREE alternative to Parallels and Fusion and it's

supported by SUN computers. (runs on a mac)

Less slick than the commercial apps but it seems to run.

(I have not tested this to any great extent)

It may be worth a try. (It's Free)

---------------------------- From their website -------------------------------------------

VirtualBox -- professional, flexible, open

==========================

VirtualBox is a general-purpose full virtualizer for x86 hardware.

Targeted at server, desktop and embedded use, it is now the

only professional-quality virtualization solution that is also Open Source Software.

----------------------------------- END -----------------------------------------------------

DOWNLOAD

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

Steve

Ok, my machine is up and running to almost 100%!!

Outstanding issues:

1. Under "about this mac" it use to be ok, but when I tried to go into OSXtools and modify it, it looks like the file I have attached to this post. I have tried going into the AppleSystemInfo.string and edit that but it still will not change. I have tried everything, I even removed the OSXTools off my computer.

2. I can put my computer to sleep, but it will not wake up, I am updated to voodoo 9.6.

If anyone knows anything about those, I appreciate the help!! ;)

Thanks!!!

about_mac.tiff

Ok, my machine is up and running to almost 100%!!

Outstanding issues:

1. Under "about this mac" it use to be ok, but when I tried to go into OSXtools and modify it, it looks like the file I have attached to this post. I have tried going into the AppleSystemInfo.string and edit that but it still will not change. I have tried everything, I even removed the OSXTools off my computer.

2. I can put my computer to sleep, but it will not wake up, I am updated to voodoo 9.6.

If anyone knows anything about those, I appreciate the help!! ;)

Thanks!!!

If you used OSX86Tools to modify those strings, you'll need to use it again to restore the previous strings. OSX86Tools creates a backup of your previous strings, so getting rid of that tool is not going to help. Once you use that tool for those strings, it will bypass all other contributors, so changing the normal system info isn't going to be reflected there anymore. I'd launch OSX86Tools again and use the restore options in the About This Mac dialog.

Can't really help with the wake to sleep issue. Need more info. I would unplug all external devices, except for bare necessities (keyboard and mouse) and see if you can wake to remove the possibility that a USB device or external drive sleep issue is interfering. Some have had success with using the OpenHaltRestart.kext. You should be able to find it on this forum. Personally, I've never had to use it.

RE: VMware Fusion and Vista

I've toggled almost every little option in the BIOS to get Fusion to KP. Repeated deleted the VM, to force Fusion to recreate it from scratch. But, it merrily goes along and boots successfully, much to my disappointment. ;) I really felt it was the BIOS, as I'm able to get Vista running in Fusion on both of my installs, Boot-132 and Boot from EFI Partition.

This is what I'm going to do: I'll release the kexts/files I'm using for my Boot from EFI Partition setup, so that someone may try it out to see if it contains the magic sauce. There have been slight changes to them, mostly to the fake plists.

***DD's EFI Boot Files***

And, I will also post a dump of VMware's Boot Camp partition.vmx file for Vista. See if you can spot any differences in listed devices or options. I'm wondering if Fusion is even creating this file if it's KPing on your system. In the absence of this file, the log should contain similar info. It's inside the VM package (~/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp/somedisk#/Boot Camp partition. There should be 3 or 4 of them. But, be aware that Fusion creates a log and deletes the oldest one each time it is launched. So, if you are KPing and have been relaunching it repeatedly, all logs may be empty.

As a side note, what names are you using for your Vista partition? Any special characters?

EDIT: Do you have all system updates?

Are you running 64-bit Vista?

Do you have all USB options on in the BIOS under Integrated Peripherals?

Does the KP involve this?: com.vmware.kext.vmnet

Are you running Airport? (related to vmnet KP above)

Is your hair black?

If you do in Terminal: kextstat | grep "USBFamily"

Is your IOUSBFamily kext version 3.2.7? (Can't see why it wouldn't be, but this kext is mentioned a lot of times on the VMware forums.)

32   12 0x80546000 0x29000	0x28000	com.apple.iokit.IOUSBFamily (3.2.7) <7 6 5 4 2>

VMware's Vista vmx dump:

.encoding = "UTF-8"
config.version = "8"
virtualHW.version = "7"
memsize = "2048"
ide0:0.present = "TRUE"
ide0:0.fileName = "Boot Camp partition.vmdk"
ide1:0.present = "TRUE"
ide1:0.autodetect = "TRUE"
ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-raw"
floppy0.present = "FALSE"
ethernet0.present = "TRUE"
ethernet0.connectionType = "nat"
ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"
ethernet0.wakeOnPcktRcv = "FALSE"
ethernet0.linkStatePropagation.enable = "TRUE"
usb.present = "TRUE"
ehci.present = "TRUE"
sound.present = "TRUE"
sound.fileName = "-1"
sound.autodetect = "TRUE"
mks.enable3d = "TRUE"
serial0.present = "TRUE"
serial0.fileType = "thinprint"
pciBridge0.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge4.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge4.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge4.functions = "8"
pciBridge5.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge5.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge5.functions = "8"
pciBridge6.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge6.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge6.functions = "8"
pciBridge7.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge7.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge7.functions = "8"
vmci0.present = "TRUE"
suspend.disabled = "TRUE"
roamingVM.exitBehavior = "go"
tools.syncTime = "TRUE"
displayName = "Boot Camp partition"
guestOS = "winvista-64"
nvram = "Boot Camp partition.nvram"
virtualHW.productCompatibility = "hosted"
ft.secondary0.enabled = "TRUE"
printers.enabled = "TRUE"
tools.upgrade.policy = "upgradeAtPowerCycle"
powerType.powerOff = "soft"
powerType.powerOn = "soft"
powerType.suspend = "soft"
powerType.reset = "soft"

extendedConfigFile = "Boot Camp partition.vmxf"

ide0:0.deviceType = "rawDisk"

ethernet0.addressType = "generated"
uuid.location = "56 4d ec cc 72 93 12 69-60 87 ca 89 ac b2 d3 60"
uuid.bios = "56 4d ec cc 72 93 12 69-60 87 ca 89 ac b2 d3 60"
unity.wasCapable = "FALSE"
ide0:0.redo = ""
vmotion.checkpointFBSize = "134217728"
pciBridge0.pciSlotNumber = "17"
pciBridge4.pciSlotNumber = "21"
pciBridge5.pciSlotNumber = "22"
pciBridge6.pciSlotNumber = "23"
pciBridge7.pciSlotNumber = "24"
usb.pciSlotNumber = "32"
ethernet0.pciSlotNumber = "33"
sound.pciSlotNumber = "34"
ehci.pciSlotNumber = "35"
vmci0.pciSlotNumber = "36"
usb:0.present = "TRUE"
usb:1.present = "TRUE"
ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:b2:d3:60"
ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"
vmci0.id = "-1397566624"
usb:1.deviceType = "hub"
usb:0.deviceType = "mouse"

unity.showTaskbar = "TRUE"
gui.fullScreenAtPowerOn = "FALSE"
gui.viewModeAtPowerOn = "windowed"

numvcpus = "2"

Hope we can get this nailed once and for all.

regards,

MAJ

If you used OSX86Tools to modify those strings, you'll need to use it again to restore the previous strings. OSX86Tools creates a backup of your previous strings, so getting rid of that tool is not going to help. Once you use that tool for those strings, it will bypass all other contributors, so changing the normal system info isn't going to be reflected there anymore. I'd launch OSX86Tools again and use the restore options in the About This Mac dialog.

Can't really help with the wake to sleep issue. Need more info. I would unplug all external devices, except for bare necessities (keyboard and mouse) and see if you can wake to remove the possibility that a USB device or external drive sleep issue is interfering. Some have had success with using the OpenHaltRestart.kext. You should be able to find it on this forum. Personally, I've never had to use it.

Thanks DD! I got my About This Mac to be normal again! :)

If I get a KP when openeing .dmg files running voodoo 9.6, I have to switch out the seatbelt.kext from 9.6 to the one with 9.5? If so where can I find a 9.5 seatbelt.kext and is that all that needs to be done? I am having this problem and am guessing that is what needs to be done.