›› Voodoo XNU Kernel is now Released

mercurysquad

Voodoo kernel release  

1,280 members have voted

1. 1. Has Voodoo kernel been working well for you?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. On which processor do you use this kernel?

• Intel
    • AMD
  3. 3. Did you use the installer or installed manually?

• Manually
    • Installer, worked well
    • Installer, but didn't work well

561 posts in this topic

short question: :)

Had 10.5.5, then installed the Voodoo 1.0 revA Package -> then did 10.5.6 Combo

As you said, it now doesnt load the new kernel, still the Voodoo.

Just want to test the new one with "mach_kernelXY" at Darwin. (dmgs and external usb mounting doesnt work - as i understand due new system.kext and "old" voodoo kernel, and i didn't try the old "seatbelt.kext fix yet)

Is there a way to find out which kernel is the new one? (loooks strange, because according to "date modified" the newest one is the Voodoo)

screenshot3my6.png

If there are any downsides of testing to boot an other kernel, please just say "ho" :P

:wacko:

Massive changes in the kernel.

Apple just did this to Voodoo- :laser:

So we are now doing this- :)

Voodoo 2 is not coming before christmas and maybe not even before new year's.

ehehe.. fight back, yeh :gun:

Take your time guys!

You did a really nice work.. my system is working fine.

Just had to add 10.5.5 seatbelt.kext..

have a minor USB problem (pic)(i call it minor cause i don't use Sleep), think it's "caused" by keyboard/mouse..

and iChat doesn't work, certainly not Voodoo's fault!!

And i'm not using 10.5.5 System.kext.

Thanks for your work!! I'll try to spread it as much as i can ;)

Thanks for your reply.

No, I can't reproduce it, since its random when im working with Adobe Apps.

What I could try is reinstalling with Vanilla kernel when I get the time :-)

Atleast I have plenty of backup's incase it really screws with my system.

Is the kernel panic reproducable? If its the only kernel panic you have had its best to just ignore it. Unless we can reproduce a kernel panic consistently its practically impossible to debug it.

If you are using Voodoo, it is set as default kernel and the update will only overwrite mach_kernel - your default will stay as Voodoo kernel.

You don't need DSDT patch. You don't need need AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement or its disabler.

My default kernel is Voodoo kernel (I had renamed Voodoo kernel to mach_kernel) ... sorry for missing that!

short question: :(

Is there a way to find out which kernel is the new one? (loooks strange, because according to "date modified" the newest one is the Voodoo)

Pacifist tells me the 10.5.6 kernel was created 25 November 2008, 02:39PM,

Size: 9.8 MB 10,318,880 bytes, checksum 2298377895

Quick note about the voodoo installer pkg:

I used the installer for the first time last night an had a little trouble with it. I have several copies of OSX of differing versions installed in several partitions across a couple of physical disks. I updated one of my installs to 10.5.6 and thought I would try out the voodoo pkg instead of installing manually. I selected the target partition in the installer, and the installer completed with apparent success. Problem was it installed mach_kernel.voodoo on the target partition, but put the alias on the root partition of the booted os not the target partition. It also deleted the mach_kernel from the root partition. :) The boot plist on the target partition was edited, so the target partition, in theory, should have been boot-able, but the root partition needed the mach_kernel restoring. Maybe it was my mistake, maybe I did something wrong?

Big thumbs up on the kernel, excellent work. It's nice to have the choice of running 64 bit on my Phenom. I can't say thanks enough! Look forward to seeing your new work on the 10.5.6 xnu and the chameleon bootloader after the festive season is over, take it easy. :(

Quick note about the voodoo installer pkg:

I used the installer for the first time last night an had a little trouble with it.

Yes the package I created had all checks, safeguards and everything. HOWEVER PackageMaker is full of bugs and the compiled .pkg had javascript errors in it. So I had to remove all checks from the package. If there's a solution, let me know, but the consensus in #xnu-chat was that these are package maker bugs and we can't do anything about it.

Is there a way to find out which kernel is the new one?

In terminal, type:

strings /mach_kernel | grep "Darwin Kernel"

Replace /mach_kernel with the name of the kernel you want to check (easy way, type strings, then space and drag the kernel to Terminal).

This will tell you the kernel version string which includes the timestamp of when it was compiled. Note that in Voodoo kernel you might get 3-4 version strings! THE FIRST ONE IS THE RIGHT ONE. The others come from the kernel which was running WHILE compiling the kernel you are checking, and so can be ignored.

That said, the voodoo 9.5 IS the newest one in the sense that it was compiled on Dec 6, while Apple compiled their 9.6 kernel on Nov 25 apparently. So chronologically it is not newer than voodoo but feature/version wise it is.

I installed iLeopard skin package and when launched the encode.app, I saw this:

The machine check exception seems to be common - we are investigating this. Thanks for the report.

have a minor USB problem (pic)

And i'm not using 10.5.5 System.kext.

Your USB problem is probably caused by not using System.kext matching the kernel.

mercurysquad & aao_pink:

Very nice! Thank you!

Even if the usb problems would go away using the matching kernel (9.6), i bet it won't load because Voodoo tells me at some point while booting with -v, that it blocked a kext from loading ;) - a bad one i guess

fascinating :lol:

Hey Guys,

thanks for your kernel and all the work behind. I have a strange problem since update. I use NForce4-Chipset based System and a AMD3800+

I installed retail with your Final Kernel and after update all is pretty slow. I copy things or load something from disk the response is very slow. In 5.5 i didn't have any probs like this. May it be possible that my ATA-Kext isn't that fine for 5.6? May it be because of the old 5.5 Kernel? Never had those probs. I use AppleNForceATA.kext for 64bit (4GB+ Issue fixed)

Do you know something?

greets

Thank you for the kernel guys, It was short lived though!! I installed it while running 10.5.5 and after the update to 10.5.6 my keyboard and mouse no longer work. I backed up all my kext using OSX86Tools and made a bootable copy on an external which I am running from now.

I replaced all the appleintelgma950 kexts and the framebuffer(for my graphics), IOUSBfamily, IOUSBMassStorage, IO80211(for my wireless card), Systems.kext, AppleHDA, ApplePS2controller, and seatbelt.kext

What Kext am I missing to get the mouse/keyboard working again???? See sig for comp. details....

Thanks!!!

Glynn

Thank you for the kernel guys, It was short lived though!! I installed it while running 10.5.5 and after the update to 10.5.6 my keyboard and mouse no longer work. I backed up all my kext using OSX86Tools and made a bootable copy on an external which I am running from now.

I replaced all the appleintelgma950 kexts and the framebuffer(for my graphics), IOUSBfamily, IOUSBMassStorage, IO80211(for my wireless card), Systems.kext, AppleHDA, ApplePS2controller, and seatbelt.kext

What Kext am I missing to get the mouse/keyboard working again???? See sig for comp. details....

Thanks!!!

Glynn

you're missing ACPIPS2Nub.kext.

Your USB problem is probably caused by not using System.kext matching the kernel.

Nop.. i checked it before posting. Does the same whit 10.5.5 System.kext.

It only happens after sleep/wake. It's related to keyboard/mouse. After this, 80% of the times i have to hard reboot but the system works like nothing is happening, only the warnings keep showing over every window.

Not important to me cause i don't use sleep.

Just to report the bug.. don't know if it's voodoo "related" (i don't mean caused by).

This is the only problem i can detect at the moment in my system (update related).. besides that, things only got better! :)

Yes the package I created had all checks, safeguards and everything. HOWEVER PackageMaker is full of bugs and the compiled .pkg had javascript errors in it. So I had to remove all checks from the package. If there's a solution, let me know, but the consensus in #xnu-chat was that these are package maker bugs and we can't do anything about it.

Don't know if it helps.. using INSTAHackintosh there were problems using the latest PackageMaker..

we solved it by using Version 2.1 (122) :)

And the reason why Ritalin's root partition mach_kernel was "deleted" was that the symlink replaced it by it self. Normally, using your installer, it doesn't happen cause mach_kernel if present is backed up. That's why i was :) when it disappeared using "my" installer.

I solved my itunes + voodoo kernel freezing problem.

It seems my optical drive was causing it, at that time it would search for something inside the drive and freeze after it, while you could still move the mouse but do nothing else.

Now my optical drive is disconnected and everything is rockstable again.

RC2 wasn't causing this... wierd.

Anyway I got a new optical drive I'll be trying this weekend, to see if it's ralated to any optical drive or this one only (AD-4543A)

Working on my iDeneb 10.5.5. Just ran the installer. Have an Asus p5wd2 premium with Pentium D 3.2 ghz. Sata/pata configured as standard ide. WinFast Nvidia 8800 gtx is still fine using nvkush as before. Realtek ALC882D audio still fine using patched driver from iDeneb.

Voodoo Kernel has my system running cooler and more responsive. Kernel tasks use less CPU than before. Waking from sleep gave me no video before, that is fixed now. No shutdown/restart issues.

Was previously using 9.2 speedstep/sleep/sse3, and 9.4 xnu, both had same unsatisfactory results.

If I enable speedstep in the BIOS will things be taken care of? Or will I need to install an additional speedstep.kext still? Have people lost performance with it?

Never mind, mercurysquads sig was all I needed for that :o

That's what happens when i try download something, see signature for details AMD

post-194988-1229596666_thumb.jpg

Use seatbelt.kext from 10.5.5. The issue is with mounting DMGs and not downloading. If you look at your screengrab, you are mounting a DMG image and the kernel panic lists "com.apple.security.seatbelt" as the cause.

Get it here

The same happens with Intels, see posting #145 & #158.

It's not the same issue. The other posts are 'machine check' errors. His issue is with seatbelt.kext

Guest cavallo
Use seatbelt.kext from 10.5.5. The issue is with mounting DMGs and not downloading. If you look at your screengrab, you are mounting a DMG image and the kernel panic lists "com.apple.security.seatbelt" as the cause.

Get it here

It's not the same issue. The other posts are 'machine check' errors. His issue is with seatbelt.kext

Thanks a lot, do you know why 1394 (firewire) hard disks are correctly working faster than ever and dv cams are recognized by system profiler but no application is able to join them?

I'll admit upfront I haven't read much of this thread, but has anyone experienced KPs when overclocking?

Just built my new system and after I upgraded to this Voodoo kernel I started OCing and system KPs after about 30 seconds after booting. As soon as I go back to stock speeds, everything is OK.

Haven't tried OCing on Vista yet, to see if that might make a difference (OS X being more sensative to OCing?)

Hi Mate,

are you using a multiplier which is x.5?

i have heard non integer values do not work until a new boot loader is released.

Until then i htink you need to set the FSB (in Hz) and multiplier seperately in boot.plist or at bootloader prompt. See other posts by mercurysquad or look in the intrucitons for kernel?

I am unsure is this is fixed in latest chameloen or EFI 9

Cheers,

HC

you're missing ACPIPS2Nub.kext.

Okay, I googled ACPIPS2Nub.kext and found a current download in the 10.5.6 release thread.

I installed that and the controller. I booted into single-user mode and ran "Applejack" my start up was modified

and there were still a bunch of permission repairs (OSX86Tools is supposed to set the permissions).

I then reboot in verbose and notices that ACPIPS2Nub.kext was not working...but it booted and I have

my keyboard and mouse back.....

Can't explain why...makes no sense!!!

Thanks for your help,

Glynn