›› Voodoo XNU Kernel is now Released

mercurysquad

Voodoo kernel release  

1,280 members have voted

1. 1. Has Voodoo kernel been working well for you?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. On which processor do you use this kernel?

• Intel
    • AMD
  3. 3. Did you use the installer or installed manually?

• Manually
    • Installer, worked well
    • Installer, but didn't work well

561 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I've been working on porting the Voodoo XNU kernel sources for XNU 9.6.0.

I've just succeeded in this. ;)

The installer is included in the two StuffIt archives.

The rest is the diff for the xnu sources.

Happy new year everybody. :P

I think it would be better to wait for mercurysquad to release the 9.6.0 kernel.

hey stoped))) That to do with these files? and why them much? :)

Use StuffIt expander to extract this...

I think it would be better to wait for mercurysquad to release the 9.6.0 kernel.

Why?

I've made this one decently and I've tested it on my Intel CPU based laptop + a friends AMD Athlon64 desktop.

It works a lot faster than the old 9.5.0 version, test it yourself if you don't believe me...

Use StuffIt expander to extract this...

Why?

I've made this one decently and I've tested it on my Intel CPU based laptop + a friends AMD Athlon64 desktop.

It works a lot faster than the old 9.5.0 version, test it yourself if you don't believe me...

Thanks Andy, we will spend some time going through it and merge it into the official sources. Voodoo team has been busy with some other projects so this is a great help to us.

Possibly send me a PM with any more technical details about your patch. Did you find any problems with the original Voodoo sources?

It would be great if you could drop by IRC and talk to us (you have the channel and server details from the PM I sent you a while back).

I've been through your patch and cut it down from 9meg to 260k. My first concern is that you've added HPET back in. We never needed it before and the removal was a good thing. I realise for porting simplicity, adding it back in was easier but this is only a temporary solution. Its hard to find the actual code changes you've added yourself because you haven't tagged your changes. I realise most of it is fixing issues with Apples modifications and you've done a good job making the diffs go in cleanly and resolving the collisions.

I do have a slight issue with you calling it Voodoo Release 1.1. This gives the idea its an official Voodoo release which it isn't (just a derivative). Would prefer you have kept the same version and just marked it modified by you. This is nit picking though and in the grand scale we are happy for your efforts. Far more gained for the community.

In the future please come and talk to us, we are not in competition with you or trying to exclude you from developments. You have shown you are a capable developer and it would be advantageous to all of us if we could have a more frequent and direct communication. The Voodoo "project" is now much bigger than just the kernel work and we want to have a long term strategy which is more than just about making these components work.

Note:

Voodoo 9.6 is not yet done, Andy's port has not gone through us and it's his independent work. Please direct all questions/issues with that port to Andy.

Andy: Please change the version tag and the name of your package to avoid confusion. The licensing terms clearly state that derivatives should be tagged as "Based on Voodoo" unless it has been absorbed into the Voodoo source tree 'proper'. In general anyone is free to fork/adapt/release stuff based on the sources we released, it is expected that it be properly identified as such. Since your work is useful regardless of how you brand it, in the future please discuss with us beforehand so that we can pool our expertise and resources and avoid fragmenting the scene with several ports/versions/derivatives.

Happy holidays to all.

Hi guys,

I've just succeeded in this. :)

Happy new year everybody. :D

Could you please upload the pkg somewhere else?

I'm having a hard time extracting the files...

Stuffit keeps on crashing...

Thnx! :D

hi, i'm a bit confused now about your installer, this is no question nor is it a rant, just a experience report

on my disk0 (the only one connected) i have a mbr scheme with chameleon bootloader (the latest) on disk0s1

there are 4 partitions on this disk; disk0s1 leo; disk0s2 win; disk0s3 data; disk0s4 leotest 

i downloaded the Voodoo_Kernel_Release_1.0_Rev_A.dmg  and told it to install all the files (system kext, kernel, documentation) on disk0s4 leotest (wich i picked from the menu), when i told to restart it updatet boot caches, this got me wondering it should not alter anything on leo disk0s1.

after restart it wouldn't boot from my disk0s1 leo anymore (just wouldn't i choose it in darwin menu and the screen just refreshes on enter) and the disk0s4 installation keeped kernel panicing (it has done this before, that was the reason of installing voodoo)

i plugged in my rescue hdd with another working osx on it, bootet up and copied the mach.voodoo file from the root of leotest disk0s4 to leo disk0s1 another restart and i was able to boot from leo disk0s1 again, with the voodoo kernel.

ok, everything is working, but it wasn't my intention to install voodoo on leo disk0s1, why did it alter the disk0s1 when i told it to install on leotest disk0s4.

can't this installer be used to install the kernel on a different installation then bootet up? if not, why can you choose another location.

hope it is understandable what i have done and what has happend, if this is not a bug just ignore it

Hi guys,

I've just succeeded in this. :wacko:

Happy new year everybody. :)

Andy,

I unpacked your files and used Pacifist to examine the content prior to installing. Could you please tell me what is the reason for the files other than mach_kernel and System.kext?

post-51049-1230728217_thumb.jpg

Hi, could someone please help me fix this, whenever I try to look for updates I get this kernal panic:

I'm runnning an AMD 6000+,

Nvidia Geforce 8800gts,

4gb ddr2 ram,

320gb hdd

Vista on Partition 1 Leo4all 10.5.2 on Partition 3.

Thanks.

EDIT: for some reason it doesn't do it anymore. Thanks.

post-343183-1230767758_thumb.jpg

Andy, your kernel is working great, although I had an issue when mounting some disk images, the kp said something related to seatbelt, so I installed back the 10.5.6 one and it's all fine now.

I think you should include that kext into the installer cause everyone is using the one from 10.5.5.

Thanks for your efforts, much appreciated.

Thank you pauℓzurrr for uploading Andys Voodoo version on Mediafire (couldn't get Andys zip to work).

I am on iPC 10.5.6 with a AMD machine at the moment, so it is nice to have all at 9.6 level (system.kext/seatbelt.kext).

Everything is running ok - no errors.

Thank you Andy for your Voodoo modifikation and for having a solution early before the next original

Voodoo kernel is finished. I hope you join the Voodoo team, they (and we) would need your talent.

Are you guys running the kernel in 64bit mode?

In any case you can *clearly* see that the *kexts* are crashing, not the kernel. The first one is obviously getPhysicalSegmen() which is a 64bit / 4+GB related problem with older drivers which were coded for 32bit only and assume no memory 'hole' at 4GB. The 2nd one is again a crash with the ATI Radeon driver. Look at the EIP: value, it is within the memory range of the ATIRadeonX2000 driver which caused the page fault.

Thanks for reporting it though, one of the more descriptive bug reports. We'll keep a watch on this.

Thanx for advice, maxem=2048 does the trick for getPhysicalSegmen() error :whistle:

I got no more ATIRadeonX2000 erorrs either, so they were probably connected

Wich is another plus for this kernel, it didnt help at all with other kernels, torrents crashed my system even when I used maxmem bootflag...

But is there any solution to this? Any alternative kexts that I can use?

I would really like to use all of my memory on OSX, apps like it :wacko:

Here's another KP when running torrents without maxmem=2048

t286675_kpanic.jpg

Using Leo4all with this voodoo kernel, updated to 10.5.5.

Amd X2 5000+ CPU, MBO with nf4 chipset, radeon 3850 VGA, and 4 Gb of memory, nforce LAN with 0.62.6n kext by eno.

Wish you all the best in NY :)

Thanx for advice, maxem=2048 does the trick for getPhysicalSegmen() error :)

I got no more ATIRadeonX2000 erorrs either, so they were probably connected

Wich is another plus for this kernel, it didnt help at all with other kernels, torrents crashed my system even when I used maxmem bootflag...

But is there any solution to this? Any alternative kexts that I can use?

I would really like to use all of my memory on OSX, apps like it :)

Here's another KP when running torrents without maxmem=2048

t286675_kpanic.jpg

Using Leo4all with this voodoo kernel, updated to 10.5.5.

Amd X2 5000+ CPU, MBO with nf4 chipset, radeon 3850 VGA, and 4 Gb of memory, nforce LAN with 0.62.6n kext by eno.

Wish you all the best in NY :)

Take a look here

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=127611

And download you're kext :thumbsup_anim:

Hi,

I'm getting this kernel panic every time I'm trying to use Firefox on Ideneb 10.5.5, my PC spec listed below:

CPU Type: DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2.30 GHz

Memory: 3 GB Dual DDR SDRAM

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-K8N-SLI

VGA : Asus EN8800GTX

Sound: Realtek AC'97 Audio

i upgraded to voodoo XNU using installer.

i picked cpu= 1 fiix cuz i had crashes before without install it.

please help

post-299496-1230831284_thumb.jpg

I extracted the kernel from Andys' package and installed it as /mach_kernel.voodoo. I did not use the other files. I am using Netkas pc-efiv9 with /Extra/Extensions.mkext to boot the system. My Extra mkext contains the following:

ACPIBattery.kext
AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext
AppleDecrypt.kext
ApplePS2Controller.kext
EHCISleepEnabler.kext
IOATAFamily.kext
SMBIOSResolver.kext
VoodooPower.kext

I have a vanilla install except for the Apple graphics update package which I had to install to get the video working. The system uses the vanilla System.kext and seatbelt.kext.

The only problem I have seen so far is that the top of the System Preferences pane is distorted and that may be an artifact of the previous graphics update which was installed prior to the 9.6 kernel being available.

update: scratch the previous comment. The boarder of some other system utilities is also trashed. For example "grab" is messed up and it is also not able to capture an image from the screen. I am going to try and back off the graphics update ;)

Update 2: I found some interesting interactions. I used Pacifist to install part of "MacOSXUpdCombo10.5.6" selecting the same directories/files found in the "LeopardGraphicsUpdate1.0" package. At that point I could not boot with EFI strings or Natit. So the 9.6 kernel did not help that area.

After removing the EFI strings so I could boot the system I found that the Preferences pane was no longer distorted. I also found that the system would not sleep. Selecting sleep caused the screen to stop functioning for about a minute and then activity came back but the screen never went blank.

Reinstalling the "LeopardGraphicsUpdate1.0" package put things back the way they were. Sleep works, resolutions are changeable and the Preferences pane is distorted.

Anyone having problems with sleep with Voodoo 1.0? My Dell Optiplex 745 was working great under 10.5.5 with ToH 9.2 and Chameleon, but I'm trying to get to a 9.5 kernel with PC EFI to permit apple update and work towards 10.5.6. When I sleep now my display doesn't come back and when I power cycle it returns to the exact same state unless I pull the power source. Looks like it's using hibernate (deep sleep?) which is causing the latter?

Andy,

I unpacked your files and used Pacifist to examine the content prior to installing. Could you please tell me what is the reason for the files other than mach_kernel and System.kext?

post-51049-1230728217_thumb.jpg

I'm interested in a comment from Andy about IPFirewall.kext and the dyld too.