›› Voodoo XNU Kernel is now Released

mercurysquad

Voodoo kernel release  

1,280 members have voted

1. 1. Has Voodoo kernel been working well for you?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. On which processor do you use this kernel?

• Intel
    • AMD
  3. 3. Did you use the installer or installed manually?

• Manually
    • Installer, worked well
    • Installer, but didn't work well

561 posts in this topic

Intel dev time is half of that of AMD, which is correct. However, the main idea of Voodoo was to combine and unify all kernels and make one universal kernel. There will be only one Voodoo.

Now about the idea of making 2 teams: instead of that I invite the community to port parts of the kernel and submit patches instead!. Simply making 2 teams will not help at all. There are 2-4 people working on Voodoo and we already divide our work, each person handling the part they are best familiar with. And secondly, by dividing into teams we will not automatically get access to AMD (or other) machines. What we need is MORE people. The Voodoo source is available and so is 9.6 kernel source, but where are patch submissions? So far only Andy Vandijk submitted one patch for 9.5, and cosmo1t has ported tsc sync to 9.6 (thanks to both of you). We need more contributors.

So yes Intel users (which number about 2x of AMD users, according to this thread's polls) will unfortunately have to wait, but there isn't another option, at least for now. Given this logic, we should also have a separate Pentium M branch, which requires barely 2 changes in the vanilla kernel. Actually the total source diff against stock is only about 250 kB (around 7000 lines), which is not much if you compare with other larger projects.

Thanks for suggestions though. Keep em coming.

Thanks, i think also ONE Team ONE Kernel for Intel/AMD is the best !

I am only not sure what the future (10.5.7,.... 10.6...) gives for problems to make it handable (time to dev them) for non profit teams.

I hope the best for all vooodoo devs and which merry chrismas too :D

I'm getting a panic when shutting down, "A driver releasing a(n) AppleHDAController has corrupted the registry\n"@/VoodooKernel/xnu-1228.7.58/libkern/c++/OSObject.cpp:241"

Any help with this or should I just go back to my vanilla kernel, which was not giving me any issues? Can someone tell me how to get back to my vanilla kernel?

I'm having a problem with the Voodoo kernel, I get no errors when booting but right before the login screen, where the whole screen is just blue with a cursor, it just stays there and will not go into the login screen at all.

Alright, I installed dsmos.kext using MacDrive on my vista partition, I can now get into the login window, but when I type my password it shows the light blue screen, then brings me back to the login screen, is there any way to fix this?

I installed iLeopard skin package and when launched the encode.app, I saw this:

img0214ll9.jpg

w1600.png

The machine check exception seems to be common - we are investigating this. Thanks for the report.

Problem solved. This app is PPC. :) My Rosetta won't work. Fixed with the package and now working... :D

Sorry for this really stupid question since i never did a benchmark with this new kernel after its final release but....

Is this good or bad?

Bench.png

I know that it isnt a top system but i really would like to know if this score is good or bad ....

Thanks

Edit: Another question @Mercurysquad.... would you like help testing stuff for AMD? if so send a PM or had me @googletalk on hgserv@gmail.com.

Edit2: i´ve been reading some stuff about DSDT patching... is it necessary on an AMD running perfectly fine to use DSDT patching with this new kernel?

Are you guys running the kernel in 64bit mode?

In any case you can *clearly* see that the *kexts* are crashing, not the kernel. The first one is obviously getPhysicalSegmen() which is a 64bit / 4+GB related problem with older drivers which were coded for 32bit only and assume no memory 'hole' at 4GB. The 2nd one is again a crash with the ATI Radeon driver. Look at the EIP: value, it is within the memory range of the ATIRadeonX2000 driver which caused the page fault.

Thanks for reporting it though, one of the more descriptive bug reports. We'll keep a watch on this.

@mercurysquad, could you tell me why this happens in the RC1/v1.0 versions and not in the beta2? The only reason I could think of is the 64bit mode that is (if i'm correct) not enabled in the beta2. I'll try running it with -legacy.

It's not a kernel problem, it is a kext problem.

Since i installed 10.5.6 kexts and i switch pc on with switched on camera it works.

If i switch off/on camera during use it stops working, i need to reboot.

It is not in any case normal.

Since it's not a kernel problem, p'raps we should discuss it back on the 10.5,6 thread?

Anyhow I have seen what you describe with real MacOS on a real Mac and early

versions iMovie. Different model cameras, different behaviours. Really annoying

were the cameras not recognized if no tape in camera. I'm afraid of the new

tapeless cameras...

Can I use it with Apple Xserve?

The Xserve came with Tiger, I have installed Leopard (not original), now it says invalid serial number.

I was thinking if I use this kernel, there won't be anything called "serial".

Well, I've done the stupid thing. Installed Voodoo 1.0 in Xserve :( and ended up with the forever long boot screen (it never boots).

I'm having an issue with USB and the fan running to much. The kernel is benchmarking alot better than the rest. But if I boot with vanilla USB 2.0 works fine. I can plug stuff and its loaded fine (ipod, etc) not with Voodoo. Any solution?

-Thanks