›› Voodoo XNU Kernel is now Released

mercurysquad

Voodoo kernel release  

1,280 members have voted

1. 1. Has Voodoo kernel been working well for you?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. On which processor do you use this kernel?

• Intel
    • AMD
  3. 3. Did you use the installer or installed manually?

• Manually
    • Installer, worked well
    • Installer, but didn't work well

561 posts in this topic

Alas... nobody seems to care with my issues

Well, at least mods can make this thread sticky rather than the old RC one.

It would help if you raise a bug report in the correct place, which would be at http://code.google.com/p/xnu-dev/issues/entry

Thanks for the answer, thanks a lot!

But why you post this?

It's a normal question dude, i know that i've used other ppl patches and understand that you can't say about it, but the trick will be used in a a new install, without any patches...

If my question is ofensive, sorry, i understand, but is hard to read this kind of thing, next time put the reason.

Thanks.

It's nothing to do with the kernel. The incorrect information in "About This Mac" is due to either Using the wrong SMBIOS kext, OR using an old version of AppleACPIPlatform.kext.

SystemProfiler cannot be edited like you want. If your CPU is a Pentium D, then it will show as a Pentium D.

mercurysquad has been asked this question many times, included by myself. The information I provided was given by him and it solved my similar problem regarding incorrect information in "About This Mac"

Well, it seems to work...Didn't notice any differences compared to StageXNU 9.4.0, though...

Except for one thing, VoodooXNU causes a kernel panic when I try to boot a VMWare machine...StageXNU didn't have this problem...

I'm running on Q6600....(Intel Core 2 Quad)

Make sure your default kernel is called mach_kernel as VMware will crash if the loaded kernel is anything other than mach_kernel. It's in the Voodoo XNU docs.

Hi !

Well i noticed that when i watch any videos on my net browser (safari or firefox) my cpu is highly used. 45-75%!

I dont know if this is a kernel prob because i had the same result with stagexnu kernel . Maybe my sse2 cpu is the cause or i dont know ;). I have all the updates for 10.5.4.

Make sure your default kernel is called mach_kernel as VMware will crash if the loaded kernel is anything other than mach_kernel. It's in the Voodoo XNU docs.

Thanks dude, I totally forgot about the documentation...Everything works now:)

P.S. I thought this kernel was supposed to speed everything up? I don't really notice any differences...running Core 2 Quad Q6600 by the way...

Thanks dude, I totally forgot about the documentation...Everything works now:)

P.S. I thought this kernel was supposed to speed everything up? I don't really notice any differences...running Core 2 Quad Q6600 by the way...

AS the def team writes also in the doc, the main reason for that kernel is usage on AMD and NON SSE3 Intel Cpus (Pentium,...) .

Intel CD, C2D, QCD will not run faster !

But we Intel SSE3 users may have an second way(at least perhaps at 10.6 time) if vanilla kernel (orig. Apple) in future makes troubles.

So basically....VoodooXNU has no added value for me?

Sure, also we have some advatages (i would wait for REVB,C for allday usage on CD!) for example the blacklisted feature which avoids kernel panic at updates of OS X (no AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext is loaded by the update!! , this kernel blocks that).

And i think there will be some more very usful / needed things at 10.6 time !!!

Not exactly...since you have an nForce board and cannot run the vanilla kernel, the Voodoo Kernel might run faster than the previous ToH or StageXNU kernels

For Core+ users, you still get some features in Voodoo that vanilla doesn't provide:

- PTRACE_DENY_ATTACH request is blocked, which means you can trace into Apple-protected binaries like iTunes (useful for developers)

- Ethernet raw packet support useful for spoofing etc. (untested, please report)

- tscsync patchset to correct for multi-core sync issues (fixes audio stutter, other dualcore issues)

- Kext blacklist as mitch_de said

- nForce on Intel fixes by Kabyl, as MGJulius said

- Reboot/shutdown might work for some people who cant reboot on vanilla

- Increased dmesg (kernel log) size from 4kb to 64kb (means longer dmesg records for debugging).

- Detect invalid rdmsr and wrmsr which can help debug certain misbehaving kexts causing KP

- IOPlatformExpert returns model name directly (can customize system model name using smbios kexts, not sure if this is in vanilla or not, though)

- RTC supports <1ghz speed (maybe not useful for most Core+ users but there could be some netbooks which can run vanilla kernel but have 900mhz speed or so causing timing errors)

- Related to previous one, no more kernel panic when some kext (like ACPICPUThrottle.kext) calls rtc_clock_stepping() and rtc_clock_stepped(). Means speedstep support even using older kexts. But this is largely solved by using mine or superhai's speedstep kexts.

- Although turned off in release 1, older betas had an sse3->sse2 patcher which can make the most used sse3 opcode 30% faster by turning it into a similar-in-function sse2 opcode. And on the other hand it could patch the 2nd most used (slower) sse2 opcode to its better sse3 equivalent. But this was only experimental is not available in voodoo release1, as I said.

Some other random useful features like no warning about "kext uses both type of components kernel and kpi use only one style", or printing kernel panic info over the top of screen by default.. and other things which I don't remember right now.

In Voodoo®, There is something for everyone™ :P

AS the def team writes also in the doc, the main reason for that kernel is usage on AMD and NON SSE3 Intel Cpus (Pentium,...) .

Intel CD, C2D, QCD will not run faster !

But we Intel SSE3 users may have an second way(at least perhaps at 10.6 time) if vanilla kernel (orig. Apple) in future makes troubles.

It COULD be a coincidence, but my Xbench score went up in the RAM section with an nforce board and a quad core Intel. My score before was around 220 something, and now its 249ish.

Also, my sleep feature seems to works much better now. So far, my sleep mode seems to always come back on, whereas in the ToH kernel there seemed to be some issues coming back from sleep. Again, could be a coincidence since I don't know enough about the differences between the two Kernels...just reporting my results thus far.

I read the documentation and it says that Rosetta doesn't run on AMD in -force64 mode so I always run in legacy mode but I always get kernel crashes when trying to start PPC apps (tested with Xdisx, PCSX, extract-iso (command line)). I'm preparing a bug report/issue but I have to wait until some downloads finished before I crash the system for a photo. Also there is a Kernel panic when starting Spore about the "Machine check" routine. With crack the game works well even for hours (I guess my cousin played at least 6 hours yesterday).

Hi mercurysquad,

I just got back from work and discovered that I am no longer able to boot to OS X. As you know from my older post, the system was running great with no kernel panics or crashes of any kind.

It says something about not being able to detect ACPI, but nothing has been changed in my hardware configuration or BIOS settings.

I have attached an image of the kernel panic.

Thanks!

hecker

EDIT: OK, I just booted the retail DVD with the Boot-132 CD and found out that I have an "Invalid node structure" on my OS X drive. Disk Utility was unable to restore it so I'll give Disk Warrior a try ASAP.

EDIT2: Ok, the partition table was fubar, but I was able to recover it by connecting the drive via IDE to USB adapter to my MacBook and running Disk Warrior from there. Disk Warrior recovered everything fine, as far as I can tell, but I was unable to properly boot from it when I placed the drive back into tha hackintosh. It failed to load some services due to inconsistent UID's or something. Anyway, I'm reinstalling OS X onto a new drive now and I'll try to use the Migration Assistant to recover my old files (or manually, if necessary).

Thinking about this whole mess, I remembered that I switched off the hack last night because it was taking forever to shutdown. The reason for that was that I had left SpotLight scanning the drives. I guess I'll better let it finish next time. :angel:

post-46589-1228919627_thumb.jpg

Hi mercurysquad,

I just got back from work and discovered that I am no longer able to boot to OS X. As you know from my older post, the system was running great with no kernel panics or crashes of any kind.

It says something about not being able to detect ACPI, but nothing has been changed in my hardware configuration or BIOS settings.

I have attached an image of the kernel panic.

Thanks!

hecker

EDIT: OK, I just booted the retail DVD with the Boot-132 CD and found out that I have an "Invalid node structure" on my OS X drive. Disk Utility was unable to restore it so I'll give Disk Warrior a try ASAP.

hello hecker

In the past i got it also, and I had to boot with -x, and then repair autorisations, don't know if it would be usefull in your case ?

cheers

fred

oups sorry, i had not seen your edit post

- Although turned off in release 1, older betas had an sse3->sse2 patcher which can make the most used sse3 opcode 30% faster by turning it into a similar-in-function sse2 opcode. And on the other hand it could patch the 2nd most used (slower) sse2 opcode to its better sse3 equivalent. But this was only experimental is not available in voodoo release1, as I said.

Which previous version? Is it turned on in Beta2c or the release candidate. And do we need a bootflag to enable?

hello hecker

In the past i got it also, and I had to boot with -x, and then repair autorisations, don't know if it would be usefull in your case ?

cheers

fred

oups sorry, i had not seen your edit post

Yeah, thank's though. I tried booting off the Disk Warrior boot CD but it gave me the damn ACPI error again. This is a bummer, man.

kernel panic only using Safari video stream.

probbably is a question of graphic kext ,but I noted only in voodoo , under sleep kernel no problem.

kernel panic only using Safari video stream.

probbably is a question of graphic kext ,but I noted only in voodoo , under sleep kernel no problem.

Still got crash at shutdown due to Tagura's AppleHDA patch...

I'm using AppleHDAPatcher 1.20, ALC888, codec dump of my own (from Ubuntu), Voodoo 1.0

Doesn't work for me so I change back to vanilla. :help:

Any solution?

Working for me?

Same patcher and ALC888, but i downloaded the codec from tagura's codec site...

Which previous version? Is it turned on in Beta2c or the release candidate. And do we need a bootflag to enable?

It is in beta2c, was turned off in RC.

You need to boot with patcher_opts=12 (for intel) to enable FISTTP->FISTP and LDDQU->MOVDQU patching. On the googlecode download section if you view all downloads, there is an SSE3 test/benchmark utility which can help you measure the performance difference. Also read http://groups.google.com/group/xnu-dev/web...rmance-analysis

Yeah, thank's though. I tried booting off the Disk Warrior boot CD but it gave me the damn ACPI error again. This is a bummer, man.

The first time I used the installer to install voodoo final on my laptop and booted up I also got the same error. I just booted with -s -f, deleted Extensions.mkext from single user mode and then rebooted, it worked.

Still got crash at shutdown due to Tagura's AppleHDA patch...

I'm using AppleHDAPatcher 1.20, ALC888, codec dump of my own (from Ubuntu), Voodoo 1.0

Doesn't work for me so I change back to vanilla. :help:

Any solution?

Use a fixed HDA patcher :angry:

According to one bug report it is known to produce a invalid executable which can cause KP in some situations.

Yeah that sucks man, had a similar situation when I killed my power on my desktop when windows was running the CHKDSK program...had to do some hardcore recovery and eventually a reinstall to get it working

In Voodoo®, There is something for everyone™

Is this actually trademark'd or are you just poking fun XD. Nice saying btw.

Oh and a quick question, will the kext blacklisting feature work on retail dvd boot. It probably will but just wanting to make sure.

MGJulius

It is in beta2c, was turned off in RC.

You need to boot with patcher_opts=12 (for intel) to enable FISTTP->FISTP and LDDQU->MOVDQU patching. On the googlecode download section if you view all downloads, there is an SSE3 test/benchmark utility which can help you measure the performance difference. Also read http://groups.google.com/group/xnu-dev/web...rmance-analysis

The first time I used the installer to install voodoo final on my laptop and booted up I also got the same error. I just booted with -s -f, deleted Extensions.mkext from single user mode and then rebooted, it worked.

Thanks for the hint. I was able to restore the partition table with Disk Warrior. Unfortunately the system still wouldn't boot but I was at least able rescue my files and have re-installed from scratch now.

I am somehow, unable to boot from me EFI partition anymore but that's a whole 'nother story. :(

Booting from my Boot-132 CD still works though. Here's a link to this problem:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=994498

Thanks!

I'll admit upfront I haven't read much of this thread, but has anyone experienced KPs when overclocking?

Just built my new system and after I upgraded to this Voodoo kernel I started OCing and system KPs after about 30 seconds after booting. As soon as I go back to stock speeds, everything is OK.

Haven't tried OCing on Vista yet, to see if that might make a difference (OS X being more sensative to OCing?)

Working for me?

Same patcher and ALC888, but i downloaded the codec from tagura's codec site...

Worked for you? Then I'm gonna try it!

Btw, isn't tagura's site down? Where to find the codec?

Do you mean here: http://psykopat.free.fr/apple/AppleHDA/realtek/ ?

And which alc888 codec are you using?

Use a fixed HDA patcher :thumbsup_anim:

According to one bug report it is known to produce a invalid executable which can cause KP in some situations.

Where can I get the fixed patcher? Can someone upload it for me? Thx.

:) Thx for the responses, I'll try them and later report my result.