›› Voodoo XNU Kernel is now Released

mercurysquad

Voodoo kernel release  

1,280 members have voted

1. 1. Has Voodoo kernel been working well for you?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. On which processor do you use this kernel?

• Intel
    • AMD
  3. 3. Did you use the installer or installed manually?

• Manually
    • Installer, worked well
    • Installer, but didn't work well

561 posts in this topic

Hello everyone and a happy new year!!

I have a problem with the driver.

The lan card is recognized and i can assign the manual ip.I cannot get on line unless if i take out the power cable from my pc (after i shutdown) and the Ethernet cable.

Then i can connect for about 2-4 minutes or some download bytes and after i get the kernel panic attack!

I upload the voodoo kernel message so someone can help me.

p1000413ts4.th.jpg

i've been using the march_kernel and i was having this problem after installing the Voodoo_Kernel_Release_1.0_Rev_A.dmg and turning off the cool and quite option in the motherboard the problem is still there.

The version of drivers for my on board lan that i installed is the 0.62.8n.

Thanks in advanced and sorry for my English.. :)

p.s. How can i find the id of the lan device so i can search for more informations to how to fix this?

I'm interested in a comment from Andy about IPFirewall.kext and the dyld too.

... as long mercurysquad is not getting any satisfying answer I wouldn't blindly use the installer nor exchange

ipfirewall. Andy still around?

The Kernel itself works fine, exchanged it for testing purposes.

P

Hello everyone and a happy new year!!

I have a problem with the driver.

The lan card is recognized and i can assign the manual ip.I cannot get on line unless if i take out the power cable from my pc (after i shutdown) and the Ethernet cable.

Then i can connect for about 2-4 minutes or some download bytes and after i get the kernel panic attack!

I upload the voodoo kernel message so someone can help me.

p1000413ts4.th.jpg

i've been using the march_kernel and i was having this problem after installing the Voodoo_Kernel_Release_1.0_Rev_A.dmg and turning off the cool and quite option in the motherboard the problem is still there.

The version of drivers for my on board lan that i installed is the 0.62.8n.

Thanks in advanced and sorry for my English.. :)

p.s. How can i find the id of the lan device so i can search for more informations to how to fix this?

...as far as i remember there where about 2 or 4 different versions in the forcedeth package?

Just try all of them, for me there was also only one woking without issues, i think it was forcedeth-nock or shomething like that. Otherwise there is a new NW Driver out, Nforcelan i think it was? You might have a look around for that.

(Didn't workfor me, as sleeping got panic....)

P

...as far as i remember there where about 2 or 4 different versions in the forcedeth package?

Just try all of them, for me there was also only one woking without issues, i think it was forcedeth-nock or shomething like that. Otherwise there is a new NW Driver out, Nforcelan i think it was? You might have a look around for that.

(Didn't workfor me, as sleeping got panic....)

P

forcedeth-nock??...xm, i cant find it anyware.

Do you think is a Nforce chipset driver problem or just the forcedeath(LAN)?

I'm interested in a comment from Andy about IPFirewall.kext and the dyld too.

Andy made a new dyld for 10.5.6, i think thats why he included it in the package...

As he posted earlier

I've just made the new dyld-97.1 for 10.5.6. :D

Enjoy and merry xmas.

Here

For IPFirewall.kext i don't know...

His earlier 9.5.0 package had the exact same files in it...

Andy made a new dyld for 10.5.6, i think thats why he included it in the package...

As he posted earlier

Here

I know he made 'a new dyld', but as Dense also posted, it was absolutely useless since the kernel only needs a patched dyld on AMD, and this patched dyld is built into the kernel. A new version of the kernel should include a new dyld (which can be compiled simply by making a one-line change in the voodoobuild script). The on-disk binary of dyld should always be left untouched, and -- putting a patched dyld on your harddrive means both Intel and AMD will use the incorrect dyld!

1) On AMD, where it is needed, the kernel is programmed to completely ignore the 'new' dyld and use the old one built into it, so installing this patched dyld is of no use!

2) On Intel, the kernel will load the dyld from disk because it needs unmodified copy for maximum 64bit performance, but since your on-disk copy will be patched, it will end up using the patched copy!

;)

In other words, AMD needs new dyld but gets old one. Intel needs unpatched dyld but gets patched one...

It's a lose-lose situation and I have no idea why Andy made it this way. The only reasonable explanation I can think of is that he turned off the built-in dyld and uses the patched dyld all the time, which on Intel will result in a performance loss because of the emulated SYSCALL instruction.

As for IPFirewall.kext - I have no idea why that is included, the Voodoo kernel has nothing to do with it normally.

As he posted earlier

Here

Indeed, I included the new dyld + built it into the xnu core.

It also has the SSE3 emu inside.

I have chosen a custom build process to build all of this.

As for the other kexts, they are built along with the xnu core and I've chosen to also include the dyld + update_dyld_shared etc. into the .pkg installer.

I use them like this on more than 2 PC's and they all work fine.

So rest assured, the kernel has the patched dyld built in...

I guess its the networkdriver, just try the different ones in this package, nothingto loose,-):

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;hl=forcedeth

P

I've resolved this issue by building the forcedeth.kext myself customised.

I've done this for a friend with an NVidia nForce controller.

If you guys want, I'll release them later (when I have the time).

That resolved all of the kernel panics...

Thank you pauℓzurrr for uploading Andys Voodoo version on Mediafire (couldn't get Andys zip to work).

I am on iPC 10.5.6 with a AMD machine at the moment, so it is nice to have all at 9.6 level (system.kext/seatbelt.kext).

Everything is running ok - no errors.

Thank you Andy for your Voodoo modifikation and for having a solution early before the next original

Voodoo kernel is finished. I hope you join the Voodoo team, they (and we) would need your talent.

Sure, I would love to join the Voodoo dev team.

P.S. You can mail me at andyvand@gmail.com.

Note: I don't have internet for the moment so when I go on the net it's mostly in one of my friend's home (using my laptop)

I've also built a new version which has a built-in binary decrypter + Intel clock backdoor hack.

If you guys would like, I'll post them in a little while.

I'm allready using this version and it's a lot faster for decrypting binaries...

Hi, could someone please help me fix this, whenever I try to look for updates I get this kernal panic:

I'm runnning an AMD 6000+,

Nvidia Geforce 8800gts,

4gb ddr2 ram,

320gb hdd

Vista on Partition 1 Leo4all 10.5.2 on Partition 3.

Thanks.

EDIT: for some reason it doesn't do it anymore. Thanks.

See post above...

I got jumpy mouse when I extract files or add large movies to itunes (itunes move filest to it's own directory). Also sounds starts scratch. But example, when exctracting files is completed, problem goes away.

I have Asus A8n-Sli nforce4 with amd x2 4200+ processor and sata hard-drive. I use latest voodoo kernel in 10.5.6, but the problem was also in 10.5.5. Could it be ethernet or sata-related problem?

Andy Vandijck,

I use your kernel on my EFI partition and the system.kext (extracted them from the installer)

I alwayes get this error in the console every now and then:

kernel "macmodel" boot argument not found, Mac model set as "MacBookPro5,1"

edit:

/Library/Prefences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

under the kernel boot arguments add

macmodel=MacPro3,1

macmodel=MacBookPro4,1

etc...

It's for Mac model override from the kernel up...

I've resolved this issue by building the forcedeth.kext myself customised.

I've done this for a friend with an NVidia nForce controller.

If you guys want, I'll release them later (when I have the time).

That resolved all of the kernel panics...

Please let us know on this forum where and when you release it, I would be keen to try it out as the other nforce kexts work for me but give me panics when I download and do other various tasks. The same problem as this person: http://img133.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1000413ts4.jpg

Much appreciated Andy.

edit:

/Library/Prefences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

under the kernel boot arguments add

macmodel=MacPro3,1

macmodel=MacBookPro4,1

etc...

It's for Mac model override from the kernel up...

thanks man, i edited it now on the plist on the EFI partition and see what will happen.

edit: Yeppp. that did it. thanks

edit 2: now the console keeps repeating like forever this line:

"macmodel" boot argument found, Mac model set as "MacPro3,1"

thanks man, i edited it now on the plist on the EFI partition and see what will happen.

edit: Yeppp. that did it. thanks

edit 2: now the console keeps repeating like forever this line:

"macmodel" boot argument found, Mac model set as "MacPro3,1"

Same happens here and i did not set any macmodel in my boot plist...

04/01/09 14:34:32 kernel "macmodel" boot argument not found, Mac model set as "MacBookPro5,1"

Repeating many times in the console :lol:

Is parallels desktop supposed to work with the latest official voodoo?

(does the kernel need to be named /mach_kernel just like with fusion?)

I get a kernel panic on "com.parallels.kext.prl_hypervisor" as soon as i want to start a VM. (have googled, nothing found so far)

will try to get a picture of the panic up soon...

edit: here is a screen picture of the kernel panic

post-158090-1231164004_thumb.jpg

Is parallels desktop supposed to work with the latest official voodoo?

(does the kernel need to be named /mach_kernel just like with fusion?)

I get a kernel panic on "com.parallels.kext.prl_hypervisor" as soon as i want to start a VM. (have googled, nothing found so far)

will try to get a picture of the panic up soon...

edit: here is a screen picture of the kernel panic

post-158090-1231164004_thumb.jpg

Thanks, I've had 1 more bug report with Parallels. Could you file a report on google code and put the screenshot link in there too?

Hello Peeps!

I think i may have stumbled upon a "bug" with AMD + Voodoo + Crossover/Darwine. This may be of most interest to music people or tweakers.

I found that crossover mac pro 7.1 + darwine 1.19 on Intel runs the fruity demo real well and loads up the demo project real quick (about 2 seconds)

re darwine+fruity, the graphics and mouse response are laggy on x11 (latest for 10.5.5) however it still works.

However, if i run fruity under crossover on the amd system (with albeit lower specs) it takes forever to load the projects (about 2-3 mins) and also plugins. It seems probable that this is a bug in voodoo.

BTW, All normal mac apps work fine on amd and load in similar times to Intel system.

Would anyone be interested in confirming this "bug" ?

Install Instructions = Get Crossover Mac Pro 7.1 or Darwine 1.19 http://mike.kronenberg.org/ and fruity loops 7.02 demo (confirmed working with key) or the version 8 (not tested) -> http://flstudio.image-line.com/documents/download.html

Darwine - Install S/W, install fruity loops (ignore errors while installing), and do the following:-

Crossover - Install S/W, Create bottle, install fruity loops (unsupported app) in new bottle (ignore errors while installing), and do the following:-

Open windows folder (.wine/drive_c/windows) and edit the system.ini file with your favorite text editor.

Add this under the drivers32 section: MSACM.vorbis=vorbis.acm

get 32bit mfc42.dll from either xp or vista (in Windows/System32 in your Windows installation) and copy to:- .wine/drive_c/windows/system32 (in crossover this will be the contents of the bottle you installed in)

If you own fruity, load your most current .reg key using regedit (not needed to run in demo mode)

Good Luck! (Please drop me a message if you have any questions about this method. Also if you have both amd and intel, please feel free to compare performance of other apps, games etc)

Hardware and software info:-

I have compared this between intel 1055 6660 quad and cloned system running on:-

AMD K8 Opteron 185 / Nvidia Nforce3 chipset with AGP / and NV 7600GT AGP / 1055 (based on Kaly 152 with updates + NV Graphics ID's + Disk Controller and Airport patches / Crossover / Fruity Loops 7.02 Demo + Voodoo 1a + apple system.kext 1055 (one supplied in voodoo dmg did not work)

Cheers,

HC

I have a question which will display my ignorance, and I don't wish to offend

the XNU-Voodoo development team who've done sterling work, but, isn't

the mach-o architecture described as a microkernel? With additional functions,

device drivers, &c, added at boot time (or dynamically as required) as kernel

extensions (kexts)?

The reason I ask is that I am running as near as possible to vanilla system,

10.5.6 with Chameleon bootloader, and most of the non-Apple/Darwin kexts

in /Extra/Extensions/. I have a N270 Atom cpu, and SuperHai's Powerstep kext

works wonders. The only function (I think) I am missing is HyperThreading.

So if HT could be written into a kext, then I wouldn't need a Voodoo kernel.

Do I just not get it? or am I traveling down a different road? :D