›› Voodoo XNU Kernel is now Released

mercurysquad

Voodoo kernel release  

1,280 members have voted

1. 1. Has Voodoo kernel been working well for you?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. On which processor do you use this kernel?

• Intel
    • AMD
  3. 3. Did you use the installer or installed manually?

• Manually
    • Installer, worked well
    • Installer, but didn't work well

561 posts in this topic

= But most users will either have, in some way or another, modified versions of some of the standard kext files (done manually or via a "release" installation) or have no idea of which system files are actually "stock" and which are extra.

True, true. I meant technically you can. Practically, maybe not.

Well after update from 10.5.4 from leo4allv4.1 to 10.5.5 i got this kernel panic in my screen.

(For my gfx card i ve copied the gfx extensions from kalyway to the extensions of leo4all)

Also from kalyway 10.5.2 to 10.5.5 via apple software update.

I got same screen even when i updated from 10.5.2 to 10.5.3 ( i downloaded the package and installed).

Dont know what to do :D ..

pic_1.rar

First of all, thanks a lot for your job dude, amazing kernel as always!

I got two problems here using the installer, when i boot the system, i get a message about missing voodoo kernel, i've two partitions here, one is the main system, other the test system, if i use the installer in the test partiton it boots ok, but hangs the main partition with that message... i've solved this using only the voodoo kernel, without the installer and system kext, and replacing my old boot.plist (probally the installer write something in boot.plist, or not?

The second one is about the processor name, i've used the old profiler patch and it detects my Pentium D in the right way, and i use the eddiec About this Mac patch too, everything is recognized, but using the voodoo kernel i got a Core Duo in About, but still Pentium D in Sys Profile, any trick to change the Sys Profile processor name?

I've tried a old trick from Tiger times, but no success.

Thanx!

So far everything is working pretty well.

Only still concerned about these log entries:

12/7/08 2:17:54 PM kernel krb5kdc 75 FS_READ_DATA SBF /usr/lib/libxml2.2.dylib 13 (seatbelt) 
12/7/08 2:17:54 PM kernel krb5kdc 75 FS_READ_DATA SBF /usr/lib/libxml2.2.dylib 13 (seatbelt) 
12/7/08 2:17:54 PM com.apple.kdcmond[54] 2008-12-07 16:17:53.828 krb5kdc[75:10b] Error loading /System/Library/KerberosPlugins/KerberosFrameworkPlugins/ODLocate.bundle/Contents/MacOS/ODLocate:  dlopen(/System/Library/KerberosPlugins/KerberosFrameworkPlugins/ODLocate.bundle/Contents/MacOS/ODLocate, 262): Library not loaded: /usr/lib/libxml2.2.dylib 
12/7/08 2:17:54 PM com.apple.kdcmond[54]   Referenced from: /System/Library/Frameworks/Foundation.framework/Versions/C/Foundation 
12/7/08 2:17:54 PM com.apple.kdcmond[54]   Reason: image not found 
12/7/08 2:17:54 PM kernel krb5kdc 75 FS_READ_DATA SBF /usr/share/icu/icudt36l.dat 13 (seatbelt) 
12/7/08 2:17:54 PM kernel krb5kdc 75 FS_READ_DATA SBF /usr/share/icu/icudt36l.dat 13 (seatbelt) 
12/7/08 2:17:54 PM com.apple.kdcmond[54] 2008-12-07 16:17:54.221 krb5kdc[75:10b] Error loading /System/Library/KerberosPlugins/KerberosAuthDataPlugins/odpac.bundle/Contents/MacOS/odpac:  dlopen(/System/Library/KerberosPlugins/KerberosAuthDataPlugins/odpac.bundle/Contents/MacOS/odpac, 262): Library not loaded: /usr/lib/libxml2.2.dylib 
12/7/08 2:17:54 PM com.apple.kdcmond[54]   Referenced from: /System/Library/Frameworks/Foundation.framework/Versions/C/Foundation 
12/7/08 2:17:54 PM com.apple.kdcmond[54]   Reason: image not found

They appeared since RC1.

Also, regarding the new kext blocking at kernel level, I assume we do not need a Disabler.kext or similars anymore; any chance to have dsmos.kext incorporated to the kernel as well?

Thanks for the final Voodoo 9.5 kernel.

Hi,

as I wrote in the RC thread (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=138420&view=findpost&p=989961) everything seems to work except XCode ignores the breakpoints I set when debugging. If I boot with my old kernel they work. I've checked with a fresh project too.

I'm sorry, I don't have a gmail account and so I can't post the issue on the google code page.

First of all, thanks a lot for your job dude, amazing kernel as always!

Thanks.

I got two problems here using the installer, when i boot the system, i get a message about missing voodoo kernel, i've two partitions here, one is the main system, other the test system, if i use the installer in the test partiton it boots ok, but hangs the main partition with that message... i've solved this using only the voodoo kernel, without the installer and system kext, and replacing my old boot.plist (probally the installer write something in boot.plist, or not?

The installer should ONLY be used to install on the currently running partition. It makes references to / (the root folder). Because of a bug in PackageMaker, I had to remove the checks in the installer so you can choose the partition, but you must install it only on the partition from which you have booted up.

The second one is about the processor name, i've used the old profiler patch and it detects my Pentium D in the right way, and i use the eddiec About this Mac patch too, everything is recognized, but using the voodoo kernel i got a Core Duo in About, but still Pentium D in Sys Profile, any trick to change the Sys Profile processor name?

I will not answer this!

Well after update from 10.5.4 from leo4allv4.1 to 10.5.5 i got this kernel panic in my screen.

(For my gfx card i ve copied the gfx extensions from kalyway to the extensions of leo4all)

Also from kalyway 10.5.2 to 10.5.5 via apple software update.

I got same screen even when i updated from 10.5.2 to 10.5.3 ( i downloaded the package and installed).

Dont know what to do :) ..

Problem seems to be in the NVDAResman kext. I don't know about nVidia or ATI graphic cards so can't help you specifically. Maybe others would know..

any chance to have dsmos.kext incorporated to the kernel as well?

No, never.

Hi,

as I wrote in the RC thread (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=138420&view=findpost&p=989961) everything seems to work except XCode ignores the breakpoints I set when debugging. If I boot with my old kernel they works. I've checked with a fresh project too.

I'm sorry, I don't have a gmail account and so I can't post the issue on the google code page.

OK, bug noted. Will investigate this. Meanwhile can you please whether you can set breakpoints manually in the terminal using gdb ?

Thanks.

The installer should ONLY be used to install on the currently running partition. It makes references to / (the root folder). Because of a bug in PackageMaker, I had to remove the checks in the installer so you can choose the partition, but you must install it only on the partition from which you have booted up.

I will not answer this!

Problem seems to be in the NVDAResman kext. I don't know about nVidia or ATI graphic cards so can't help you specifically. Maybe others would know..

No, never.

OK, bug noted. Will investigate this. Meanwhile can you please whether you can set breakpoints manually in the terminal using gdb ?

Nope. They don't work from terminal either.

Btw, congratulations. The system has never been so fast. I guess it is the new sse3 emulation.

Nope. They don't work from terminal either.

Btw, congratulations. The system has never been so fast. I guess it is the new sse3 emulation.

Which CPU do you have? SSE3 emulation only affects sse2 machines.

Also try booting with patcher_opts=0 (assuming you have fully patched system if you are on AMD) and test if the breakpoints work.

Which CPU do you have? SSE3 emulation only affects sse2 machines.

Also try booting with patcher_opts=0 (assuming you have fully patched system if you are on AMD) and test if the breakpoints work.

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (no SSE3 indeed).

Yes my system is fully patched for AMD.

Booting with patcher_opts=0 doesn't change. They are still ignored.

I just wanted to add my heart felt thanks to all of you for this great project. I've got leo4all4.1p1 on an AMD wiht SATA disk and cdrom with NVIDIA 8400 that has been working with some issues but it was functional enough to get me experienced with OSX. I then went to the voodoo RC kernel and that worked better but this final release has taken care of all most all of the issues that I've had (still no hot plug for USB). I've now been able to test out the "Mac" and demo to my wife. We are now getting an iMac.

THANKS!!!

Shutdown and Restart are working fine while Sleep is yet to do the same since Voodoo 9.5 Betas. When the system is put to sleep, it just shuts off the screen for 3 secs and then comes back with desktop.

No other problems seem to bother me this time. SSE3 based applications like Safari and iTunes tends to hang for a few seconds when closed after running for 30+ minutes. Now-famous World of GOO also tends to show the same behavior, it runs fine but tends to hang when being closed after 30+ minutes of playing.

OFFTOPIC: Mods, please make this thread sticky rather than the old thread regarding Voodoo Release Candidate. The final has been landed, what are you waiting for?

Mercurysquad,

I read in the documentation,that this kernel has the ability to bypass certain kexts:

AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement,Don't Steal MacOS and AppleHWSensor kexts.

It is possible(by means of passing some parameter to kernel) to be able to load these kexts selectively ?

I mean the AppleHWSensor kexts works fine for me.Correct me if I am wrong but isn't this kext used by the GPU Fans ?

Also Don't Steal MacOS seems to work fine for me.

AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement causes issues with most of the people but with the upcoming 10.5.6,most of us will have to correct our DSDTs to avoid kernel panics because of the new RTC and HPET kexts and if DSDT is corrected with patched HPET this AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement wont cause issues anymore.

I took time reading the wonderful docs you guys prepared,but please dont stab me if i missed something :P

As for the new kernel i would say SUPERB,works perfect on HP dv6114tx with Intel core duo,no issues as of now.

As always,great work.I guess.i have some ideas for your speed step kext,so i'll discuss that over the related thread.

Regards

aliasa.

Thanks for the answer, thanks a lot!

But why you post this?

I will not answer this!

It's a normal question dude, i know that i've used other ppl patches and understand that you can't say about it, but the trick will be used in a a new install, without any patches...

If my question is ofensive, sorry, i understand, but is hard to read this kind of thing, next time put the reason.

Thanks.

I read in the documentation,that this kernel has the ability to bypass certain kexts:

AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement,Don't Steal MacOS and AppleHWSensor kexts.

It is possible(by means of passing some parameter to kernel) to be able to load these kexts selectively ?

I mean the AppleHWSensor kexts works fine for me.Correct me if I am wrong but isn't this kext used by the GPU Fans ?

Also Don't Steal MacOS seems to work fine for me.

AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement causes issues with most of the people but with the upcoming 10.5.6,most of us will have to correct our DSDTs to avoid kernel panics because of the new RTC and HPET kexts and if DSDT is corrected with patched HPET this AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement wont cause issues anymore.

While the kext's might load, they don't do anything. They are far too apple specific and there is no reason to load them. Some of them will even cause bootup delays because they are searching for hardware that is not there. For AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement we actually have better alternatives now (they are more generic with more features). The decision to blacklist those 3 kext's was something that was heavily discussed and while there were others we also considered it was in the best interest for most of the users that we disabled them.

However, i do believe there is a blacklist boot argument to disable that capability even though I can't remember the exact format. Hopefully it is mentioning in the documentation.

Thanks for the answer, thanks a lot!

But why you post this?

It's a normal question dude, i know that i've used other ppl patches and understand that you can't say about it, but the trick will be used in a a new install, without any patches...

If my question is ofensive, sorry, i understand, but is hard to read this kind of thing, next time put the reason.

Thanks.

The answer is in the documentation.

We have tried to cover all the most frequently asked questions in the documentation and its frustrating when users don't take the first logical step of doing some reading first.

Yeah, blacklist=0, somehow it's not documented. Thanks for pointing it out.

It's a normal question dude,

Sure, not only normal but pretty frequently asked. See Page 8 first question in the documentation.

Will this kernel work with the MSI wind? I used the msiwindx86.iso, so I think it has vanilla kernel??

OK just updated my other rig. A custom AMD machine upgraded to 10.5.5. Used the installer and everything seems to be okay! Quicktime, iTunes, apps all work.

Still wondering about the MSI wind.

Will this kernel work with the MSI wind? I used the msiwindx86.iso, so I think it has vanilla kernel??

OK just updated my other rig. A custom AMD machine upgraded to 10.5.5. Used the installer and everything seems to be okay! Quicktime, iTunes, apps all work.

Still wondering about the MSI wind.

should work, my box is about the same as a wind

Well, it seems to work...Didn't notice any differences compared to StageXNU 9.4.0, though...

Except for one thing, VoodooXNU causes a kernel panic when I try to boot a VMWare machine...StageXNU didn't have this problem...

I'm running on Q6600....(Intel Core 2 Quad)

Please read the documentation :)