›› Voodoo XNU Kernel is now Released

mercurysquad

Voodoo kernel release  

1,280 members have voted

1. 1. Has Voodoo kernel been working well for you?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. On which processor do you use this kernel?

• Intel
    • AMD
  3. 3. Did you use the installer or installed manually?

• Manually
    • Installer, worked well
    • Installer, but didn't work well

561 posts in this topic

Sure, 10.5.6 has given a new kernel + new system.kext.

uname -a (i run an Intel C2D and vanilla)

9.6.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.6.0: Mon Nov 24 17:37:00 PST 2008; root:xnu-1228.9.59~1/RELEASE_I386 i386

Last kernel (also voodoo) was 9.5 !

Perhaps you use boot.plist with some kernel flag to use old kernel !

I can't seem to get these drivers (http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Macintosh.html) to work with the kernel. They show up for a minute or so in kextstat after I manually load them, but they don't actually work. It warns me that _sha1_hardware_hook is unsupported, but still says the driver loaded successfully. I am using the new release with 10.5.6.

Ok using voodoo kernel i do not need any patch,but i got keyboard and mouse stalled or freezed,how can i restore the keyboard???

On an usb hd i got ubuntu but i can only mount hfs+ just in read mode

is there any method?

i just have Leo4Allv4

Thanks Voodoo Team, this works great!

Installed on iDeneb 10.5.5.

Voodoo 1.0A using installer package.

AMD 64 3700+

Abit AV8 mobo

2 GB RAM

NVidia 7600GS (AGP) (NVinject. Running in PCI mode, no AGPGart installed, CI/QE working.)

Intel Pro 100 PCI Ethernet card

ATA HDs and DVD-RW

It was running very well before on the XNU kernel and it runs great with the Voodoo kernel. Makes it so easy when I can use the Software Update and not think about patching.

Thanks again for all the hard work, the results are brilliant! :angel:

Shortstop:

Did you update to 10.5.6? If so, what were the results?

So I was doing my vacation photos (2000 of them!), and I had my first ever KP in the history of Hackintosh ;)

I have used Kalyway 10.5.2, iDaneb 10.5.4 and now trying out iAtkos 10.5.5 (great support on their forum btw).

I took a picture of the Kernal Panic - I have never had crashes in Vista nor Mac OSX, I tested via. Vista if there was enough

cooling to keep everything good even at 100%/100% CPU and GPU at 100% for several hours (with those apps that lets you test + apps that checks temperatures). Never had crashes in games either.

Photoshop CS4 does crashes a lot (just spinning beachball death - if I do a lot of I/O tasks (etc. stitching 8 RAW files together to a panorama), Lightroom has been very good... but now this >>

Anyhelp to solve this is extremely appreciated!

nzu3zmjjmtgzzgi4yze0otc5yjvjnzu2mgi0zgyxyzu.jpg

If you are using Voodoo, it is set as default kernel and the update will only overwrite mach_kernel - your default will stay as Voodoo kernel.

You don't need DSDT patch. You don't need need AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement or its disabler.

OK to update on AMD with voodoo? Aren't there keyboard and mouse issues?

Well if i understood,leave the update and wait for the voodoo kernel 9.6,but if u wanna try the update,you have to realize that you will have your keyboard and touchpad stalled,if you're ina laptop you need a usb keyboard to get back your system othere wise no choise,even with the live Distro for ie. i coul not mount a kingston data storage it want not reckognize it so in live dvd

i miss the removing kext or what's so ever

Shortstop:

Did you update to 10.5.6? If so, what were the results?

No not yet but I'll probably give it a go sometime tonight.

Been reading up on other peoples adventures into the unknown and tried to decide on the best approach for my setup.

Will post the results when it's done.

Edit: Tried it with the 10.5.6 combo update. Updates all the way but on reboot just as the grey apple screen appears and the circle starts spinning, nothing more happens. On forced reboot, as soon as bios loads, it sounds like the hard drives are brought back from sleep mode.

Reverted back to 10.5.5 from disk image.

Will test more when I have more time on my hands.

Sure, 10.5.6 has given a new kernel + new system.kext.

uname -a (i run an Intel C2D and vanilla)

9.6.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.6.0: Mon Nov 24 17:37:00 PST 2008; root:xnu-1228.9.59~1/RELEASE_I386 i386

Last kernel (also voodoo) was 9.5 !

Perhaps you use boot.plist with some kernel flag to use old kernel !

Thanks for the answer...

Yap.. i use the Boot.plist string pointing to mach_kernel.voodoo but, that does not prevent any new kernel from being installed. It only prevents "your" kernel from being replaced.

I used the "smaller" pkg, not Combo and it didn't installed any new kernel to my system, that's why i'm confused..??

Why it didn't installed is what's getting me confused...

The DSDT part is solved.. Voodoo takes care of it :) didn't know for sure cause it's not on documentation..

Nice ;)

THANK YOU!

MsiNeo2 (patched Bios) with Leo4all 10.5.5.... did everything posted on netkas.org prior to install 10.5.6 update... still KernelPanic after update-reboot.

Installed Voodoo 1.0 REV a, updated, seems to work (systemprofiler error, no sound - tiny probs i hope)

As mentioned above uname -v still shows 9.5 Kernel

recommendation to wait until 9.6 Voodoo and leave everything, OR try booting with other kernel?

again, thanks !

It seems i got the "no 9.6.0 kernel installed" with update mistery..

I restored the system to 10.5.5 with Time Machine and updated with Combo but, this time i got an eye on the process..

i saw the mach_kernel installed in the Root and the symlink gone. After reboot forgot to check if it was still there (must be.. can't think why not!).. went on installing bootloader again (it has voodoo, symlink, Extra folder and kexts for S/L/E that don't work in Extra) and checked Root again.. no mach_kernel!?

The only thing i can think is that the "symlink" overwrites the mach_kernel as it has the same name.

Please correct me if i'm wrong :blink:

I don't need the kernel.. it's just a matter of knowing what's going on.

I'm used to "alias" not overwriting "real" files, even if they have the same name but, this is not Windows :wacko:

how much will it take until voodoo 9.6? As I see apple hasn't yet released the source code.

A few minutes for a beta if the changes are what we think they are. A few days or even weeks if there are many conflicting changes. We can't really say anything until we look at the source and see what has actually changed.

The only thing i can think is that the "symlink" overwrites the mach_kernel as it has the same name.

Please correct me if i'm wrong :(

I am assuming you are talking about the Voodoo installer. If yes, then: the Voodoo installer makes a backup of your old mach_kernel by renaming it to mach_kernel.original. Then it installs mach_kernel.voodoo and makes a symlink mach_kernel -> mach_kernel.voodoo

So if you want your original kernel, it is mach_kernel.original.

Kernel panic here:

Pic:

100_0339.jpg

Interesting thing is that I am able to boot back into mac, but when I open up a .dmg it panics.. :(

My setup is:

Intel Pentium D 3.4

Nvidia 7600 GS 256mb

1GB ddr2 ram

80GB hdd (2)

Gigabyte GA-81945PLGE-RH

Kalyway 10.5.2 + Jas 10.5.3 + official 10.5.4 - 10.5.5 - 10.5.6

Disabler.kext

Voodoo 9.5 kernel

DSDT patch (but just found out I don't need it)

Hope that helps ;)

I am assuming you are talking about the Voodoo installer. If yes, then: the Voodoo installer makes a backup of your old mach_kernel by renaming it to mach_kernel.original. Then it installs mach_kernel.voodoo and makes a symlink mach_kernel -> mach_kernel.voodoo

So if you want your original kernel, it is mach_kernel.original.

Nop.. i'm talking about a installer made with INSTAHackintosh.

Basicaly, it installs DFE to HD but you can add to the installer almost anything..

In this case i used it to fix the boot.. it's always gone after Time Machine restore, and to install kext i need to have in S/L/E, after update.

The way i set it does pretty much the same your installer does, except for the kernel backup.

I´m just :P by the the kernel installed by the update disappearing..

kal18 Use seatbelt.kext from 10.5.5!

It's posted some posts ago :D

Preliminary analysis shows that the merging processes is going to be a long one. The diff between 9.5.0 and 9.6.0 was 600k and there are a lot of changes in many of the same files Voodoo modifies. Once Mercurysquad is online we will be able to give a better estimate but certainly don't expect anything today or even the next few days.

panic occurred after install of ubuntu 8.4 on third partition (leopard on 1st partition) and first attempt of grub menu.lst to boot to boot-132 menu (which it did). then used -v -f flags. i have configured the com.apple.boot.plist to boot from /Extra/mach_kernel.voodoo.

Not really a voodoo problem, and I guess by now you've sussed it. Ubuntu did this to me

a long time ago, on a multi-boot install with rEFIt. Read all the docs about multiboot Ubuntu.

You must be 155% sure that it does not install grub. You must install grub yourself,

manually, in a safe place. Ubuntu is as bad as Vista: it wants to own your HD.

VBox works for me now, it's faster and more reliable.

So I was doing my vacation photos (2000 of them!), and I had my first ever KP in the history of Hackintosh :D

I have used Kalyway 10.5.2, iDaneb 10.5.4 and now trying out iAtkos 10.5.5 (great support on their forum btw).

I took a picture of the Kernal Panic - I have never had crashes in Vista nor Mac OSX, I tested via. Vista if there was enough

cooling to keep everything good even at 100%/100% CPU and GPU at 100% for several hours (with those apps that lets you test + apps that checks temperatures). Never had crashes in games either.

Photoshop CS4 does crashes a lot (just spinning beachball death - if I do a lot of I/O tasks (etc. stitching 8 RAW files together to a panorama), Lightroom has been very good... but now this >>

Anyhelp to solve this is extremely appreciated!

nzu3zmjjmtgzzgi4yze0otc5yjvjnzu2mgi0zgyxyzu.jpg

Anyone care to help ? Or is it to much to ask, now that I provide a picture as well as all the information I can think of.