›› Voodoo XNU Kernel is now Released

mercurysquad

Voodoo kernel release  

1,280 members have voted

1. 1. Has Voodoo kernel been working well for you?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. On which processor do you use this kernel?

• Intel
    • AMD
  3. 3. Did you use the installer or installed manually?

• Manually
    • Installer, worked well
    • Installer, but didn't work well

561 posts in this topic

Andy, I've said this before - I appreciate your work and efforts but you are continuously doing exactly the opposite of what should be done.

1) Despite repeatedly REQUESTING you to not call it "Voodoo XNU Kernel", you have not done anything about it. It's not something I wish - it's simply stated in the license agreement (APSL). This is by far my biggest complaint as what you do in your fork of the kernel is really not our business AS LONG AS you don't call it Voodoo kernel.

2) Your 'features' -- you added a built-in decryptor. THIS IS ILLEGAL. We made it a point to not include the decryptor in the kernel and this is part of the reason the kernel repository is not public. Please don't do this - not only does it put the Voodoo-based osx86 projects in danger (by association), but the PureDarwin guys are also using this kernel. They specifically requested us to steer clear of anything of questionable legality.

3) HPET fixes -- as you might be aware that HPET IS TOTALLY REMOVED FROM 9.6.0 kernel. Why did you put it back in?

4) AppleIntelClock hack - this is once again pretty worthless to do, not to mention it needs (according to you) a patched core kext and works only on Intel. What's the point?

5) Non-standard packaging. Why are you bundling binaries you didn't compile yourself? It's not a good idea to modify several kexts on the target machine, as you can see people's systems are crashing left and right.

So once again, I don't mean to sound arrogant but you are actually not helping. I'm busy with project camphor and my offline life. Given the many changes Apple made, a "woohoo it compiles" type patch is not gonna work. The Voodoo team is not going to compromise with quality just so we can dish out a 9.6 kernel fast.

Sorry for the public rant but it seems to be required. I hope it's clear now.

Clearly you don't need our approval for your teams positions. However, I do approve, and plan to use only official Voodoo kernel releases.

This is just my opinion, but since this thread was started about an official Voodoo kernel release, I don't think it should be hi-jacked by unofficial - forked offshoots. It is my position that Andy should start his own thread and take discussion about his work to that thread.

As for me, I will wait as patiently as I am able for the next real Voodoo kernel release.

Id like to thank very much Andy for the release.

I use a Pentium D 805 on a Gigabyte GA-945GCM-S2L and updating to the 1st release of his kernel gave me back the speed i had on 10.5.4 system (and that i had lost with the 10.5.6), my Xbench gone up 50% in almost everything, in principal the graphics part.

With the Release 2 - i dont know if it had to do with HPET or the built-in who-cares-if-its-legal-once-we-have-to-use-a-ilegal-kext-anyway decrypter - i got plus 50% on the thread and cpu tests on Xbench... my system breaves again!!

Thank you very much, and about the discussion on the name, Andy, considering the results in my system i do prefer calling your kernel Andy then Voodoo.

Who cares the color of the cat if he can catch the rat?

@paulzurrr: it seems to load fine but no graphics mode?

That happened to me even after I replaced thoes kexts you mention. Can't tell you exactly what I did (I really don't remember), but I think it was something like this:

1- boot with -s -f -platform=x86pc

2- delete system and ipfirewall (don't try to copy the other kexts over the installed)

3- copy system and ipfirewall from backup folder

4- repair kext permissions

5- delete extensions.mkext

6- reboot

7- booted without graphics

8- tried -x -f and graphics mode ok

9- opened osx86tools and set kexts permissions, clear cache and touch ext folder

10- It's all right again and using andy's latest kernel.

Hope something that I said can help you to get your system back to life.

Thanks for posting the steps eMatoS!, i tried some things and was able to boot into osx again but.

I was getting these 2 error's

kextd[10]: IOKitWaitQuiet() timed out waiting to write kernel symbols

configd[14]: InterfaceNamer: timed out waiting for IOKit to quiesce

After that i was getting a black screen for about 1-2 minutes and then osx booted?

Anyone knows why that is happening? :ihw_wow:

Edit:

fixed it by repairing the permissions...

I keep away from Andy work because he is not a good team player.

Andy, the least you could do, when you work solo, is provide an uninstall package for in case people want to go back to their original settings.

Also good customer service is very important ...

If you are not prepared to do that, then you are not a good developer...

By the way, your latest kernel does not work for Pentium 4 's, so it is more reasons I am not interested.

And you do not listen, which is bad habit.

I would like to place a request/inquiry for the developer team, and see if this is doable or possible.

The case with me and some other people here with certain CPUs like Pentium D for example is that, this processors is:

-SSE3 capable

-2 Cores

-Some how similar to Core family processor lie core2duo

this is at least based on what I've read, and CPU-Z and other software outputs.

So, I think what we would need as far as Kernel concerned, is just basically pure vannilla kernel but with CPU check disabled, will that work?

If so, would the team, have a chance to work on something like a "Voodoo light project" or whatever, thats is basically a patcher that patch the any vanilla kernel to remove ONLY the CPU check built in it ?

If anyone has any further info/correction, please correct me.

cheers

So, I think what we would need as far as Kernel concerned, is just basically pure vannilla kernel but with CPU check disabled, will that work?

If so, would the team, have a chance to work on something like a "Voodoo light project" or whatever, thats is basically a patcher that patch the any vanilla kernel to remove ONLY the CPU check built in it ?

This is already implemented in the Voodoo kernel - the kernel only enables hardware-specific features or workarounds when they are needed. On a Pentium D, the bare minimum needed to get OS X running is enabled, which means it's essentially a vanilla kernel with cpu identification changes and nothing else.

Binary patching apple-provided vanilla kernels will never be supported because this method is unreliable, difficult to implement and unnecessary.

I'd like to hear about your motivation for wanting a "Voodoo light" kernel. Is the current kernel giving problems? I ask because I have a Pentium M which is in a similar situation, needing only rtclock fixes and SSE3 emulation in addition to cpu identification.

I created an Intel-only branch early on in the dev process, which supported Pentium M and up. The source code diff was only 90kb, most of it being SSE3 emulation. It is possible, but unnecessary since the current kernel automatically 'turns on' various workarounds on an as-needed basis. So on a Core2Duo for example, it's essentially the same as vanilla (except certain generic fixes like blocking some kexts or increasing dmesg size).

If however a certain group of people really have a compelling reason to want only feature X or Y, please help yourself - the source is available and easy to compile. We have packed up the more obscure steps into a do-it-all script. Just keep what you want, remove the other parts and roll your own. Officially, there will only be one kernel. Makes maintenance easier.

This is already implemented in the Voodoo kernel - the kernel only enables hardware-specific features or workarounds when they are needed. On a Pentium D, the bare minimum needed to get OS X running is enabled, which means it's essentially a vanilla kernel with cpu identification changes and nothing else.

Binary patching apple-provided vanilla kernels will never be supported because this method is unreliable, difficult to implement and unnecessary.

I'd like to hear about your motivation for wanting a "Voodoo light" kernel. Is the current kernel giving problems? I ask because I have a Pentium M which is in a similar situation, needing only rtclock fixes and SSE3 emulation in addition to cpu identification.

I created an Intel-only branch early on in the dev process, which supported Pentium M and up. The source code diff was only 90kb, most of it being SSE3 emulation. It is possible, but unnecessary since the current kernel automatically 'turns on' various workarounds on an as-needed basis. So on a Core2Duo for example, it's essentially the same as vanilla (except certain generic fixes like blocking some kexts or increasing dmesg size).

If however a certain group of people really have a compelling reason to want only feature X or Y, please help yourself - the source is available and easy to compile. We have packed up the more obscure steps into a do-it-all script. Just keep what you want, remove the other parts and roll your own. Officially, there will only be one kernel. Makes maintenance easier.

thanks for your reply.

although the reason why I did ask for that, is just it would be faster for me (for example) when there is a new update (like 10.5.6) I won't wait for a rework for the voodoo kernel, I would simply turn off the cpu checking in the new kernel and would be ready to use.

regarding, if i have problems with the current voodoo, well, I've noticed recently on my main partition (10.5.6) and the rescue partition (10.5.5) that sleep works once (although it wakes up immediately) and if I put it again it simply shuts down! (tried every thing possible in this forum) , i thought it was the kernel cause it happens on both partitions.

thats what is concerning me at the moment.

cheers

although the reason why I did ask for that, is just it would be faster for me (for example) when there is a new update (like 10.5.6) I won't wait for a rework for the voodoo kernel, I would simply turn off the cpu checking in the new kernel and would be ready to use.

You can do that now. Get the source code, find the relevant portions (mostly cpuid.c / .h and kern_mib.c), apply the patch to vanilla 9.6 kernel and compile.

I am busy with other projects and kaitek has been unavailable as well, so voodoo 9.6 will be delayed. I assume that there is no particular urgency anyway since I'm on 10.5.6 with 9.5 kernel and everything is working well.

Yes, mercurysquad already told us - i asked - that much of wait is because of AMD, not Intel SSE3 dev things.

But i understand the way the voodoo team goes - not to split that in an faster dev Intel Voodoo and much longer dev AMD voodoo projekt. They have my big respect fpr such an huge AMD/Intel kernel projekt.

Perhaps after the next 1-2 Apple OS X Updates (10.5.7+10.5.8) we all know it this way is makeable for the future (10.5.9,.10 and Show Leo in summer 2009), or does make more problems than in theory.

Lots of complete new things is waiting in the Snow Leo dev Builds for OS X86 kernel devs, gpu driver devs ++.

Hope all that the great success of the voodoo dev team stays with next OS X 10.5.XY builds.!

Yeah, 10.5.4 to 10.5.5 kernel port was so simple and fast - I've said this before: it took only 15 minutes!

But with 10.5.6 apple really changed many things, because of the new aluminum macbooks. But I think most of the groundwork for Snow is done, and for later versions of leopard. So I hope that once 10.5.6 is ported, it'll be as easy to port to 10.5.7 and higher as it was for 10.5.4->10.5.5.

You can do that now. Get the source code, find the relevant portions (mostly cpuid.c / .h and kern_mib.c), apply the patch to vanilla 9.6 kernel and compile.

I am busy with other projects and kaitek has been unavailable as well, so voodoo 9.6 will be delayed. I assume that there is no particular urgency anyway since I'm on 10.5.6 with 9.5 kernel and everything is working well.

Well, thanks again, but iam sorry to say that i don't know anything about programming :)

so I don't have any clue about what do you mean.

also i checked your google code site in the source section to try to get a clue, but iam very confused.

maybe someone else here with a free time, can lead me through this?

maybe afterwords when I've done it, I should make a guide for it on the genius bar to help other people with the same cpu or similar to be able to do it if interested

Hello !

Just made a new trial to install OSx on my Amilo 1528. (MCP51, Turion X64 TL-56)

As i mentioned a while ago at http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...&pid=705322

I think I have still problems with correct FSB-detection.

I'm now on voodoo Kernel 9.5, leopard starts but feels sluggish, sound stutters.

I also tried to pass the kernel parameters usbratio=8 and fsb=200000000 but it seems the system do not recognise these entries. cpu-z in OSx shows bus-frequency 33MHz and Multiplier 54.5. Core Speed 1800MHz but this must be false.

Any hints mercurysquad ?

Thx in advance!

I was woudering by your earlyier comments on pentium d's only needing a few small cpu identification changes so would it be possible to create a added kext or boot file to overright only some the changes needed so more people could run vanilla like nforce.

But i still think voodoo over vannila but it could fix a few problems.

Regards