The Great Driver Hunt

AirmanPika

563 posts in this topic

It only found a HD temp sensor (Similar to a PPC app I ran also, can't see any of the other sensors yet.)

So, no... could not configure the fans.

I got the same results using that fan control app.

Funny, I have 2 macbook pros (both 2.0s) in front of me, one booted into OS X, one into XP. After running the Xp one for a couple of hours (very light usage, just some very light web browsing, but mostly just "sitting there") I checked the heat on the bottom with my "hand thermometer".. It was pretty hot!

Then I checked the bottom of the other macbook running OS X, with a few apps open but also getting mostly light use.. It was VERY HOT! Quite a bit hotter than the 'book running XP. I'm assuming the processors are doing some kind of thermal management when they are mostly idle? But it was still a surprise considering the fans aren't supposed to be running "at all" (i can't confirm this, i can hear a very slight whirring noise, but that could be the hard disk). Still, the macbook running XP did not seem to be steadily and uncontrollably increasing in heat... Not that I'm recommending leaving it on unattended...

Still, the macbook running XP did not seem to be steadily and uncontrollably increasing in heat...

When I was benchmarking, I was able to hear the fan spin up, and then spin back down a short while after it was finished. Clocks were pegged at 1.83 GHz / 1.26V during the tests, and went back to 1GHz / .98V after.

This is kind of a driver thing, but MacDrive works great. I thought about creating a 3rd partition when slicing up my HDD, but stuck with 2, and that was the right move. Now, I can see all my PC stuff (FAT32) on my Mac, and all my Mac (HFS+) stuff on my PC. I added all my iTunes songs (not copies, natch) just for the helluvit.

This is kind of a driver thing, but MacDrive works great. I thought about creating a 3rd partition when slicing up my HDD, but stuck with 2, and that was the right move. Now, I can see all my PC stuff (FAT32) on my Mac, and all my Mac (HFS+) stuff on my PC. I added all my iTunes songs (not copies, natch) just for the helluvit.

Sounds great, but I guess a possible problem now is that if a virus hits your Windows install, it could corrupt files in the Mac partition as well.

(Extra reason to make sure you keep the Windows patches up to date, use FireFox, don't use Outlook, and virus scan any downloaded files.)

Sounds great, but I guess a possible problem now is that if a virus hits your Windows install, it could corrupt files in the Mac partition as well.

(Extra reason to make sure you keep the Windows patches up to date, use FireFox, don't use Outlook, and virus scan any downloaded files.)

Hey. kind of like bird flu jumping to humans, cross-species transmission.

Could we keep the thread focused on drivers, we are so close to having the perfect computing machine and yet the lack of x1600 drivers is so limiting. Also anyone figure how to adjust the screen brightness? or the power management unit as in lid opening/closing or for that matter the trackpad driver (could it use a synaptics like driver?).

Sandra info and benchmarks. Click for larger:

113866881_d1a7096ab6.jpg

How do these compare to other competitive core duo laptops such as sony sz or ibm t60 acer 8200 etc. Looks very promising. I am running office 2003, and a few radiology imaging tools and my macbook pro 2.16 is superfast in windows xp, just can't use a modifier for right clicking, is there a way other than using an external mouse?

just can't use a modifier for right clicking, is there a way other than using an external mouse?

http://www.geocities.com/pronto4u/applemouse.html

The UGA (vice VGA) info on this page was interesting:

http://www.kernelthread.com/publications/firmware/

Sounds like drivers will be different for our beast, until we have a UGA driver, or until a card BIOS is uploaded before drivers are loaded.

how about trying this method with Omega driver? who knows (i don't have a MacBook yet, so someone with an iMac or MBP, test it out)

No...it was already determined that these drivers *do not* work. Unfortunately, It is most likely going to take more effort than simply installing the appropriate drivers, because of the way it's frimware was designed to act with EFI. As people have mentioned earlier, simply flashing the card with a regular PC bios will *not* solve anything, and most likely just brick your Mac. Remeber that XP is still making use of the mac's EFI bootloader, which in turn relies on the graphic card's firmware. At least, that's how I understood it to work. :)

Not excatly a driver thing but...

WE NEED A NAME FOR MACINTELS RUNNING XP.. SO PEOPLE CAN GOOGLE THE NAME; AND SO ITS EASIER TO FIND ON FORUMS ANS SO ON...

Suggestions would be nice

p.s. a logo might also be cool

WINTAC - (WINdows inTel mAC)

WINBAC - (WINdows Based mAC)

working on a logo aswell

A plea for help has been posted in Driverheaven.net (link below):

http://www.driverheaven.net/showthread.php?t=101707

I'm not sure if it was posted in the right forum (so if you're up to the challenge - spread the word in a different forum on Driverheaven - (linking up to this thread).

This is just for anyone interested... I hope we'll get a driver working for the ATI graphics card soon. And, if you have anything to add for help please feel free to help - and keep that thread alive.

I hope we find a solution for this card soon... maybe Narf and Blanka are working on it (hopefully).

KublaKhan

P.S. The next order of business - after the ATI driver, will be to get the fan to work - otherwise I believe that many of us "power users" actually want to do proc. demanding tasks on this CPU. Otherwise, all the effort would have been put into developing a better virtualization software for the Mac.

But, then again, full sound support is important too...

*Anyone going to reply about the 20" iMac and the Mini not working (and that we should focus on that first) - it's already being focused on by Blanka and Narf.

I'm not too sure I like booting XP on my MacBook anymore without the fans. I wont be doing any serious work, maybe just firefox and AIM, - but is there any chance of screwing up my hardware? :-\

If you're just doing FireFox and AIM why do you need Windows?

If you're just doing FireFox and AIM why do you need Windows?

I won't be after the fans work. I do a hell of a lot more then that on proper installs. BUT, since the fans DON'T work currently.... if for the time being all i use is FireFox and AIM, will it melt, damage, hurt anything?

i posted this at xponmac.net but thought you might not read it there...

i've got a radeon 1600 mobility driver in device manager which was set up and showed 'working' and 'no conflicts' with memory addressing.

I think the problem is that there is no Device Manager entry for Default Monitor or Plug and Play Monitor. I've tried installing them to no avail. Also, I manually updated the registry and moved the pointer from the xom vga driver to the default one.

I tried to disable the default vga to force use of the good adapter (mobility) but on reboot it has killed the load. However, very interestingly enough, I was in some kind of debug mode and kept pressing keys...q brought up an Intel Mobile Calistoga CRB Framework Implementation...looks like a BIOS. this might be what they (narf) is using for the BIOS for the load. Has for evaluation purposes only in the header and do not distribute!

i think you can get into it if you press tab or arrow after you start loading windows and it'll show you the boot code, at that point press q.

all kinds of cool options to fiddle with....

check the wiki...http://wiki.onmac.net/index.php/Drivers

Following Drivers did NOT work:

* Omega Drivers

* Drivers for Acer Travelmate 8200

* Drivers for Asus A6J

* DNA Drivers

* ATI Catalyst Mobility drivers v5.13b

i used the modified ati drivers at

http://www.ngohq.com/home.php?page=Files&go=cat&dwn_cat_id=9

and manually got it to install in safe mode without errors (see above) but no display is available so I think the problem lies there..

We need to spread the words to some Ati-Driver-hackers... maybe someone could help us

BECAUSE...

"The drivers expect the ATI Bios to be present in order to initialize the chip. Things like clock frequencies, memory frequencies, power management, all the is done through the video bios. The macpro video chip only supports EFI, it has the old BIOS completely stripped out. Thus I find it very doubtfull any video drivers work out of the box. As I see it there are a couple of possible solutions, from easiest to hardest.

1. Flash the onboard chip with the bios from a PC version and hope to god it has the EFI support as well.

2. Have the custom bootloader load the bios from a PC version into RAM and map all BIOS calls to that.

3. Have the custom bootloader load the video EFI driver, and a thin BIOS layer that reroutes all BIOS calls into the corresponding EFI calls.

4. Try to duplicate all the video BIOS functionality."

Sry for the unquote - cant remeber who posted this