The Great Driver Hunt

AirmanPika

563 posts in this topic

The onmac.net Wiki just got updated and a new video drivers link is mentioned. It's a 5.13b release of radeon mobility catalyst drivers from www.station-drivers.com. The wiki mentions that it will run and install drivers successfully. This is will work then?! Is it just saying the the drivers are installed, but don't work or that they work also?

Anyone tested it? I'm downloading right now, but our network has been on the fritz here at work lately, and it's very slow right now.

Can't wait to hear how it goes...

For the record, the Omega drivers behave just like the description of the station-drivers 5.13b set. "installer will run and install drivers successfully" ... but as you suspected, they don't actually work. :D

I would think that if the drivers actually worked, we could put them up in the Video section and remove the "No driver has been proven to work yet." note... but they may have just overlooked that.

Seems the keyboard remapper just changes some registry settings; there's no need to install a huge package to get the special keys working.

Try something like this: http://webpages.charter.net/krumsick/

Unfortunately I wouldn't know how to get the hardware keys to work even if the hardware functions worked (custom driver?) in windows... eg. brightness, ext screen mode, keyboard illumination on MBP.

Apparently (at a quick glance) it doesn't seem like the hardware keys will work... maybe if someone goes at a hardware level and hacks some sort of driver (?)... either way, first things first, lets get those ATI drivers working, eh?

those video drivers aren't going to work.

Quite right you are... they don't work.

They do install... but the system locks up on boot every time. Have to hit F8 to go into safe mode and then uninstall them using ATi's uninstaller in Add/Remove Programs (or hunt it down in the Program Files directory).

I discovered something fun while messing around with all of that, though. After you select Windows from the bootloader you can press [Tab] to watch it do its thing or hit [Esc] to break it and get a command prompt of sorts. (not sure what any valid commands are in that prompt however... and i wouldn't want to mess anything up, so i just rebooted).

Fun fun...

As far as i remember, i was stuck with ATI mobility drivers on a real laptop PC, the only way i found to fix the system and prevent it to hang after the ATI's Drivers installation was to install it in safe "VGA" mode (F8).

After restarting, it worked like a charm.

Have you tried this way ?

Unfortunately I wouldn't know how to get the hardware keys to work even if the hardware functions worked (custom driver?) in windows... eg. brightness, ext screen mode, keyboard illumination on MBP.

Nice tool... even has a few more buttons (like eject) that are relevant to our cause. Gotta love the internets.

Mind if i ask how you got the Eject button "working"? Even when I put TweakKey in "teach" mode it doesn't register anything when i press the Eject key... leading me to believe that it's passing a value that is well outside of the valid range of values for Windows...?

IMHO, the much easier option is to disable Ctrl-Alt-Del requirement in the User Accounts control panel.

"easier" perhaps initially, but then you won't have a Del(ete) key at all, just (Backspace)... and you'll have two "Windows" keys. Personally, i use Del(ete) a lot when i'm typing and editing text... and of course, there's always the need to delete files (which can't be done with Backspace).

if you're a keyboard guy, you're gonna want that Delete key. :gun:

As far as i remember, i was stuck with ATI mobility drivers on a real laptop PC, the only way i found to fix the system and prevent it to hang after the ATI's Drivers installation was to install it in safe "VGA" mode (F8).

After restarting, it worked like a charm.

Have you tried this way ?

Well, I just did.

(Why not? to quote Dave, "got nuthin' better to do").

In safe mode, the (old 5.13b) drivers throw a "Severe" INF error (Video driver not found.) and then suggest "Try to setup your display adapter with a standard VGA driver before running setup."

If that sounds familiar it's because its exactly what happens when you try to install the latest Catalyst drivers in normal mode.

Back to square 1 (again). :gun:

-jer

(p.s. No more comments from me for the next ~12 hours or so... gonna get some sleep and got meetings later on this AM. Y'all take care!)

yea, sorry i spoke too soon, i had it mapped to the f12... thus the edit above. I'm doin a little readup on keyboard scancodes to see if I can find how to dump the raw input... if I can get that, I may be able to do a little registry hacking and force those keys to work. If someone else wants to take up this as a project, I honestly don't have the time to make any sort of committment beyond playing around with it, you know, college and all (heh, like thats an excuse if I'm distracted/interested enough :gun: )

The problem with any ati driver at the moment is the BIOS. The drivers expect the ATI Bios to be present in order to initialize the chip. Things like clock frequencies, memory frequencies, power management, all the is done through the video bios. The macpro video chip only supports EFI, it has the old BIOS completely stripped out. Thus I find it very doubtfull any video drivers work out of the box. As I see it there are a couple of possible solutions, from easiest to hardest.

1. Flash the onboard chip with the bios from a PC version and hope to god it has the EFI support as well.

2. Have the custom bootloader load the bios from a PC version into RAM and map all BIOS calls to that.

3. Have the custom bootloader load the video EFI driver, and a thin BIOS layer that reroutes all BIOS calls into the corresponding EFI calls.

4. Try to duplicate all the video BIOS functionality.

#1 would be the best one, if the BIOS's on the PC version of the x1600 support EFI as well. Even if they don't, it still might be ok. We've gotten OSX to work on non-efi PC's, so chances the OSX video driver might know how to work with EFI, and just plain old BIOS.

Lacking that, #2 is probably the best bet. #3 & 4 would require a lot of indepth knowledge of the ATI bios already.

Seems the keyboard remapper just changes some registry settings; there's no need to install a huge package to get the special keys working.

Apparently (at a quick glance) it doesn't seem like the hardware keys will work... maybe if someone goes at a hardware level and hacks some sort of driver (?)... either way, first things first, lets get those ATI drivers working, eh?

This isn't working for me, neither is remapkey. I remap, save to registry, reboot. Nothing changes. I sure would like to be able to ctrl-alt-delete, or eject.

I know that LG just released a 15.4" laptop with the ATI X1600 mobility GPU. Has anyone tried their driver? I'm sorry, i don't remember the model number, but you could check their site, I think it's www.lge.com

Oded S.

Hey,

There is a program call ATI Mobility modder at driverheaven.net. It uses standard ATI Catalyst Driver and mod it to be used for mobility graphic cards. It appears some parameters needed to be changed at .inf file in order to get it work. It currently does not support X1600 but i have asked the developer to add support to X1600.

Hope it comes out soon!

--------------------------------

Chipset:

YES, the Intel chipset driver works.

Jeremy, can you expand on this a bit? The installer seems to finish, but nothing changes in the device list, they are all still "Other devices"

Am I missing a step?

-John

EDIT: I also see that the VGA driver is interfering with the chipset in IRQ stuff. Doesn't seem to be an issue, but it does say the device is conflicting.

I don't mean to be a killjoy. However I've heard that there are issues with the Fans on the Macbook Pro. Mainly - They aren't turning on!

I'd guess this is a driver issue? Do we need to start looking for a driver for the fans before my Macbook Pro melts through the floor!

There are quite a few temp monitors for Windows.

RMclock can also control the cpu voltage and speed and it has support for the core-duo.

But if the power managment doesn't work because of BIOS issues, who knows what we are up against.

\

It's funny, but the Linux folks probably have all this stuff already figured out with the drivers . Problem is, they couldn't give a hoot about Windows.

I seriously doubt anyone would not accept a $13,800 prize because they don't like an OS personally. I think whatever solutions the Linux guys came up with would certainly not pertain to the driver problems occuring in Windows.

As for the over heating someone download speedfan and see if it reports temps (even better see if the fan control options work).

I don't think it will help right away but it would be nice to get more detailed hardware specs from you Intel Mac people.

This freeware will tell us detailed hardware specifications in the form of a web page. If we get a few people posting such pages from each of the different Intel Mac groups then we can see if they all use hardware with the same Device ID's.

Be SURE To REMOVE Your CD KEYS!! THIS SOFTWARE PUTS THEM IN THE HTML DOC!!