The Great Driver Hunt

AirmanPika

563 posts in this topic

I dont have a MBP :D

Would really like to try some ideas...but in reply

I have a Macbook Pro, and my fans certainly work. I tried running Google Earth in opengl software mode, and after half a minute the fans started up, increasing with time.

I believe the no fans thing is an old porblem i heard that all you have to do is to install the chipset...

But as i said i dont have anything to try this on so i'll have to rely on what people say on forums...

I call shennanigins on the no fan thing, the fan control is directly on the board in the firmware. It's got nothing to do with OS X itself there may be some tweaks and controllers in there, but the fans themselves are directly controlled by the board. You can test this by resetting your SMC, which will cause your fans to lose connection with the EFI and cause them to go into overdrive until you power down the computer for awhile.

While testing video or any other kind of drivers that may prevent XP from booting the next time, you might find it useful to create a different hardware profile (or create several) using the Hardware Profiles under the System control panel. This way, you can have Windows give a selection of hardware profiles at boot time, and you can always select your "safe" hardware profile (as an alternative to last known good, etc), or you can save multiple profiles so you don't lose track during testing... (This method does seem to work for me using xom on my macbook)

Has anybody tried the ATI vista drivers?

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default...uestionID=19933

No...that will not work. First of all, it's a Vista driver. We're runnning XP. Secondly, no current video drivers will work out of the box. Extensive modifications will have to be done to get regular PC drivers to properly communicate with the card's custom firmware. Simply flashing it with normal firmware willl brick your Mac. Game over.

@Blackcrayon: That is an excellent idea, and an under-used one at that. It would save people a lot of headaches when testing out different drivers and whatnot.

When it comes to graphics drivers - until such are found, windows works much more smoothly is all graphics acceleration is turned off under display settings (cpu does it instead).

Truy: thanks for the tip! That makes moving windows around actually bearable :2cents: That should be in the driver status page until a full driver is found/made to work...

Has anybody tried the ATI vista drivers?

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default...uestionID=19933

Yea those didn't work either. Didn't expect em too but ya never know sometimes.

By the way on another note I was working on the IR port issue and realized that USB HID device thats yellow flagged in the device manager is it. When I manually forced it to install as a HID Infared Device the exclamation went away but I don't really have a way to verify if this really helped or not (may not really be installed like in the case of the way some of the video drivers show they are installed but aren't really)

I was thinking...

could someone take the xp driver and merge it with the Os X driver somehow.

Not at home so i cant try this myself and i also dont have a mac so...

But try to download latest x1600 BIOS driver and recode it to EFI with the xp driver...

NO DRIVER WILL WORK OUT OF THE BOX

I call shennanigins on the no fan thing, the fan control is directly on the board in the firmware. It's got nothing to do with OS X itself there may be some tweaks and controllers in there, but the fans themselves are directly controlled by the board. You can test this by resetting your SMC, which will cause your fans to lose connection with the EFI and cause them to go into overdrive until you power down the computer for awhile.

My fans work as well. They didn't seem to be working at first, although I don't think I had XP running for very long periods of time initially. Either that or it was indeed the chipset drivers. I'm more inclined to think it's in the firmware as Invisus suggests.

I'm not a up to some of your guys techincal abilities, but I'm pretty damn sure I could handle this installation - but do you reckon it's worth me waiting a bit until all the driver creases are ironed out?

With the current graphics problems what is XP showing the display adaptor as? Are we getting the full 1440 x 900 on 17" iMacs?

I'm not a up to some of your guys techincal abilities, but I'm pretty damn sure I could handle this installation - but do you reckon it's worth me waiting a bit until all the driver creases are ironed out?

With the current graphics problems what is XP showing the display adaptor as? Are we getting the full 1440 x 900 on 17" iMacs?

If youre unsure about it and your technical know how isnt so good,,, simply DONT install xp.

The people trying Xp and these drivers now, are people with technical know how, and after their discoveries they share their experiences. If you have no intention of trying new drivers and contributing to this I would advise you to wait until it is all sorted out.

My fans work as well. They didn't seem to be working at first, although I don't think I had XP running for very long periods of time initially. Either that or it was indeed the chipset drivers. I'm more inclined to think it's in the firmware as Invisus suggests.

Hi, I am pretty sure that the fans work well in XP on my MBP. I was watching a video on Media Player and the fan would come on ever so slightly in the background. All in all, this implementation is amazing...I have been able to install all my windows software and the scientific applications run about 1.5 times faster than on my Vaio which has a 1.7GHz pentium M (which is about right).

I also installed Dragon Naturally Speaking 8 with an Andrea usb microphone and it is running better on the MBP (albeit 2.16 Ghz) than it has ever run on any other windows machine...

Disabling the hardware acceleration has made it eminently useable even for some of the scientific imaging, even though you can tell there is a slight lag. I also remapped the keyboard which has made life much simpler and also remapped F7 F8 F9 to Ctl Alt Del. Life is good and thanks for the winners for making this a reality, I will only need to lug 1 laptop around now instead of 2...

Hi, I am pretty sure that the fans work well in XP on my MBP. I was watching a video on Media Player and the fan would come on ever so slightly in the background. All in all, this implementation is amazing...I have been able to install all my windows software and the scientific applications run about 1.5 times faster than on my Vaio which has a 1.7GHz pentium M (which is about right).

I also installed Dragon Naturally Speaking 8 with an Andrea usb microphone and it is running better on the MBP (albeit 2.16 Ghz) than it has ever run on any other windows machine...

Disabling the hardware acceleration has made it eminently useable even for some of the scientific imaging, even though you can tell there is a slight lag. I also remapped the keyboard which has made life much simpler and also remapped F7 F8 F9 to Ctl Alt Del. Life is good and thanks for the winners for making this a reality, I will only need to lug 1 laptop around now instead of 2...

This is certainly an endoresment. I will now consider this for myself.

( I was worried about meltdown-a life shattering prospect : )

Yes, the display is set at 1440x900... I'm about to test the "turn of acceleration" option and see if it helps the choppiness.

=)

It sounds like we need to get the firmware on the Radeon updated. Has anyone looked into the 9600 Pro PC-Mac Edition? [http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2502]

It sounds like it uses a regular firmware version for PC, but has another firmare that the PC won't see, which loads when a Mac sees the card. Of course, this card is not designed for use with EFI, but it seems like a good starting point.

Maybe this means there is hope that ATI will release similar cards in the future (with support for PCI-Express and EFI...) We would probably have to wait for a desktop with a replacable video card though...

What do you think?

Do we have any way of changing the Screen brightnes in XP on the MBP especially when on Batteries. It seems to stay at the last setting used when in Mac OSX. By the way my fans workf fine in XP and come on when the CPUs are pushed...

BAM BIOS seems to have the right idea for the video adapters. Instead of looking to flash the video bios, which possibly would cause problems on the OS X side (are we really gonna run winblows at the expense of Apple OS goodness?)... and flashing the video bios would unquesitonably void the warranty.

Anyways, the idea to stick with perhaps is cacheing an alternate PC video bios at boot level (correct me if i'm wrong, but don't most traditional Bios's have a feature to cache the video bios into RAM?).

Seems to me, if I understand the vague summaries released so far, that BAMBIOS is on the right track with that... and that we've pretty much reached a dead end as far as installing drivers.

Ran into a couple of issues today with my XP drivers:

Wireless Woes:

• OSX connects just fine to my 128-bit WEP-enabled NETGEAR RangeMax WPN802 access point
  • Windows lists all the nearby networks, but refuses to connect to mine, even when I provide the right WEP key.
  • Windows *will* connect to my work's wifi, which has all kinds of nifty certificates attached to it. I'm starting to suspect that their certificate setup is fudging up my ability to connect to non-certified networks. However, this is mitigated by the fact that the certificates should only be valid when i'm logged into my work / domain account. In that mode, i cannot even come *close* to connecting to my home network (because the certificates fail to authenticate, it won't even prompt me for a WEP key... ever). So all the problems i'm having are when i'm logged in as the local system administrator, where it does ask me for my WEP key, but then times out on connecting to the network. I tried power cycling my wap just for grins, but that didn't change anything. Hrmrmrm....

Bluetooth Blues:

• I can't get it working without Widcomm. See here for details. I don't want to repeat myself :)

Any help / hints / would be very appreciated. I'm banging my head against the wall here and it's starting to hurt. :D