The Great Driver Hunt

AirmanPika

563 posts in this topic

Anyone tried flashing the BIOS on the GFX card with the PC version of the M56 yet? Someone here HAS to have an OEM contact at a company who is using the M56 in their units for us to do this...

You shouldn't do that. If you do, the machine won't boot with video again. What we need to do is emulate a VGA BIOS within the XOM bootloader. It seems like narf and blanka used a linear framebuffer as opposed to a real VGA driver? not sure. So, if they do that, then the Radeon drivers should work...

OK just found a linux listing of the hardware in the mac mini....

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS/940GML and 945GT Express Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)

00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)

00:07.0 Performance counters: Intel Corporation Unknown device 27a3 (rev 03)

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)

00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)

00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 02)

00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI #1 (rev 02)

00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI #2 (rev 02)

00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI #3 (rev 02)

00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI #4 (rev 02)

00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)

00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e2)

00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)

00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) IDE Controller (rev 02)

00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA Storage Controller AHCI (rev 02)

00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 02)

01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8053 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 22)

02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. Unknown device 001c (rev 01)

03:03.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Agere Systems FW323 (rev 61)

First off! GREAT JOB! Second off, this driver issue sucks :D

While I believe the video card issue sucks for games and such, at least for now we have video. For MBP users a major issue is the wireless card. What good is a laptop w/o wireless? What's needed is a coordinated effort to help resolve this. From my understanding, the main problem with the video is the hack used to get the dual boot going in the first place - so this should have no adverse effect on the wireless drivers. So it's a matter of finding the correct chipset.

A list of wireless chipsets should be made, likely one's from intel or others that are being used in other Intel core duo laptops, and we can systematically scratch off a list of the one's the work and do not work. This could have the issue resolved in a day; unfortunately I can't assist because I'm waiting for my MBP.

I would be happy to assist though with compiling a list and such to help this effort, as it's VERY important to me. The current way of saying this chipset and that chipset driver didn't work in random posts is very unproductive and makes it hard to weed out what has and hasn't been tried. Let me know your ideas on how to make this witchhunt a more orderly one! I'd recommend the same for the video driver, but it appears it's more complicated than finding a driver (see above).

A new laptop, especially a beautiful Mac without the ability to have wireless Internet should be a crime. :dev::poster_oops:

Nick

Determined that the MacBook Pro uses the Atheros AR5006X Wireless Network Adapter.

Tried the drivers at drivers at http://members.driverguide.com/driver/deta...driverid=613581

As a heads up the generic driverguide username/password is drivers/all and ignore anything about signing up or renewing the account. Just contunue and hit no thanks on offers.

Update:

OK Drivers don't work but its the right card type in the macbook pro according to this page http://listing.driveragent.com/pci/168C/

Everyone gets a Code 10 Cannot Start Device error

Someone else tried toshiba drivers with the same error.

MBP WIFI drivers have been confirmed working:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss...es/77wc36ww.exe

Extract, go to device manager and manually point to them

Awesome I had some other people with macbooks confim and they do work. Now we just need some mac mini users to try these drivers also.

Also the link was a tad too deep and was causing errors for some. This one works for those who need it http://www-306.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss...xr-layout=print

I think I have a clue to why bluetooth isn't working:

Well, it seems that I've wasted a lot of time getting Bluetooth devices to work in OS 9, because they have worked since 10/15/2003...its just that nobody noticed. And who was responsible for adding this support? None other than Apple themselves. On October 15th of last year, Apple released firmware update 1.0.2 for the D-Link Bluetooth adapters. The release notes noted that the firmware update will render the adapter unusable under Windows systems. I had always wondered about this, but never looked into it further because I had a Belkin adapter...not a D-Link. It turns out that this firmware update turns the adapter into a generic composite USB device with 2 HID interfaces, one for the keyboard and one for the mouse. Apple did this because they needed to be able to use the mice and keyboards earlier in the boot process, particularly at the open firmware prompt. This tricks the system into thinking that the Bluetooth USB dongle is really just a mouse and a keyboard. That way they didnt have to write an openfirmware driver for the bluetooth devices since they already had an open firmware driver for USB devices.

I think I have a clue to why bluetooth isn't working:

Dude that makes amazingly perfect sense thank you. I prefer having bluetooth ability at boot though so I'm gonna leave it as is since I have an MS Bluetooth KB and Mouse and always hated having to use a wired device to access the BIOS in my other systems. I'll just hook up my spare dongle if I ever need it. Now if someone wants to figure out a way to reflash this and get normal usage out of bluetooth please post instructions here and we will update for all.

I do not have the Apple x86 PC now so I can really help you in the most active way. But I am an experience x86 PC user, I think I may help you in some ways.

- For the Bluetooth driver: the Widcomm driver have some protection in it to prevent people using it on non-licensed hardware (you know widcomm, now is the Broadcom's software division - is not hardware manufacturer, they sell their bluetooth stack), so to make it working you must find the patched version (I'm downloading the driver someone has uploaded on the megaupload to verify it), and second: you must edit the .inf file to install the correct driver.)

- For ATI x1k driver: this one also have protection which is much more complex than the bluetooth stack, but the most important part is the way driver (atimtag.sys and other files) communicates with the firmware. You may try the folowing tool to check about the firmware (if those tool can recognize the GPU and tweak it - you can confirm that in the firmware have some old protocol that using on normal card, but please note: this method can not make us 100% confident.) then we can focus on the driver (you have to know that the normal catalyst sometime can not be installed an used on mobility card).

Tools that I suggested: ATITool and RivaTuner you can find them easily on download.guru3d.com (they are 2 of the most powerful tools avaiable for us now).

Link: http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=163 (RivaTuner)

http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/ (ATITool)

Hope it help.

Please provide information as much as you can so I and other and take part in and help in someways.

Apple uses UGA instead of VGA so it's going to be more difficult to get the video working. If I read it right blanka is using framebuffering to send information to the video card, so simple ati vga drivers won't work. We need a full uga driver, or an update to blanka's stuff in order to get video to work.

---

biozal

Unix Jedi Knight

"sense much nt in you ... nt leads to bluescreen ... bluescreen leads to downtime ... downtime leads to suffering ... nt is the path to the darkside ... powerful unix is , yes..." - unknown Unix Jedia Knight

I do not have the Apple x86 PC now so I can really help you in the most active way. But I am an experience x86 PC user, I think I may help you in some ways.

- For the Bluetooth driver: the Widcomm driver have some protection in it to prevent people using it on non-licensed hardware (you know widcomm, now is the Broadcom's software division - is not hardware manufacturer, they sell their bluetooth stack), so to make it working you must find the patched version (I'm downloading the driver someone has uploaded on the megaupload to verify it), and second: you must edit the .inf file to install the correct driver.)

- For ATI x1k driver: this one also have protection which is much more complex than the bluetooth stack, but the most important part is the way driver (atimtag.sys and other files) communicates with the firmware. You may try the folowing tool to check about the firmware (if those tool can recognize the GPU and tweak it - you can confirm that in the firmware have some old protocol that using on normal card, but please note: this method can not make us 100% confident.) then we can focus on the driver (you have to know that the normal catalyst sometime can not be installed an used on mobility card).

Tools that I suggested: ATITool and RivaTuner you can find them easily on download.guru3d.com (they are 2 of the most powerful tools avaiable for us now).

Link: http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=163 (RivaTuner)

http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/ (ATITool)

Hope it help.

Please provide information as much as you can so I and other and take part in and help in someways.

Just an Idea,

try out this program and see if it can give more information about the hardware...

http://dl1.driverguide.com/dgt//dgt.exe

it is:

DriverGuide Toolkit allows you to:

1. Get detailed information about your installed drivers.

2. Backup your drivers in case of emergency.

3. Search the best driver sources for updates to your specific drivers.

4. Identify unknown devices.

5. Get detailed information about the manufacturer of your device.

6. Backup and search for drivers for non-internet connected computers.

7. Backup and search for drivers for all computers on your LAN.

8. Compare your saved drivers to your installed drivers.

9. Follow an easy step by step process for finding the best driver.

10. Get device manufacturer links and contact info.

11. Find out detailed information about your computer.

BTW

i don't have an IntelMac, but I am looking forward to getting one.....

read this:

http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/ker...309.0/0479.html

and the detailed version is here for those super geeks...

http://www.kernelthread.com/publications/firmware/

Just an Idea,

try out this program and see if it can give more information about the hardware...

http://dl1.driverguide.com/dgt//dgt.exe

BTW

i don't have an IntelMac, but I am looking forward to getting one.....

---

biozal

Unix Jedi Knight

"sense much nt in you ... nt leads to bluescreen ... bluescreen leads to downtime ... downtime leads to suffering ... nt is the path to the darkside ... powerful unix is , yes..." - unknown Unix Jedia Knight

The current way of saying this chipset and that chipset driver didn't work in random posts is very unproductive and makes it hard to weed out what has and hasn't been tried.

Nick,

I have been maintaining a MacBook Pro post that lives on page 2 for this very purpose.

AirmanPika, the starter of this thread, has been maintaining the "universal" post on Page 1.

So we had you covered... you just didn't read far enough in :poster_oops:

i don't know how useful this is but the windows XP embedded edition has a target application platform tool that reads everything it knows about the system you want to deploy to. I ran Tag.exe on my iMac under windows xp and got this info. Check out the file, it might help someone with something. Its all in XML format.

http://www.pbaz.com/pictures/misc/devices.txt

also, is it just me or is my iMac video (in os x) not right? It sure doesn't seem as crisp or clear and kinda hurts my eyes. All the setting seem fine (millions of colors, resolutions right) but not sure what's wrong. Maybe staring at XP under crappy drivers gave me eye strain? ack!

Mr biozal seem do not fully understand what I said. Sorry.

The tools that I recommended are very powerful tools. They do not need the driver to communicate with the GPU. That why I suggested them for you. Any one have try it please post your information as detail as possible.

No Delete Key?

I just ran across another hiccup and documented it in my MacBook Pro rollup post:

Shutting Down XP also locked up the machine until i joined an NT Domain (which disables the Welcome screen login mode). Apparently this made it possible for Shutdown to work properly again on my MacBook.

However, joining a domain / disabling the Welcome screen causes problems of its own. Chiefly: the MacBook keyboard has no Del(ete) key, making the requisite "three-finger salute" (ctrl+alt+del) impossible... so unless you have a spare USB keyboard handy, you can't log in again (joy)!

The fix for this is to get remapkey.exe and remap a redundant or lesser-used key (Such as the "Command" key to the right of the Spacebar) to be Del. Remapkey.exe is part of the Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools, which is freely downloadable from Microsoft and installs just fine on XP Pro. (Yes, it's a weighty install for such a simple fix, but it also gives you robocopy.exe and a host of other great tools; trust me, it's well worth it).

For those who've never used it, you just drag a key from the top ("base") keyboard onto the greyed-out "actual" keyboard below it... so drag [Del] over the right Command / "windows" key and it will show up as Del in red. Save and exit (this changes the registry) and reboot the machine (or decline the reboot and pick Shutdown to be safer).

When the machine reboots, voila... you now have a full-time Delete key!

Now if we could just get the darn "Eject" key next to F12 to work :poster_oops:

The onmac.net Wiki just got updated and a new video drivers link is mentioned. It's a 5.13b release of radeon mobility catalyst drivers from www.station-drivers.com. The wiki mentions that it will run and install drivers successfully. This is will work then?! Is it just saying the the drivers are installed, but don't work or that they work also?

Anyone tested it? I'm downloading right now, but our network has been on the fritz here at work lately, and it's very slow right now.