The Great Driver Hunt

AirmanPika

563 posts in this topic

Anyone know if there are drivers that make the mini's airport work?

Have you tried the drivers on page 2?

I had to follow the instructions to the letter to get it to work on my MacBook, but it did and I'm now wireless!

=)

EDIT:

Once we have a comprehensive list of working drivers, I'll compile a page of screenshots for step by step driver installation. Some of them are tricky for the average user.

Two issues are still holding me:

• The Fan issue

• The ATI x1600 issue

Someone posted a possible solution for the fan problem in macrumors. He said it might be solved with speedfan, a windows software for controlling the fan speed, this is the link

http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

Please reply if it works.

Wouldnt like to see my new Macbook Pro 2.0ghz melted.

Not excatly a driver thing but...

WE NEED A NAME FOR MACINTELS RUNNING XP.. SO PEOPLE CAN GOOGLE THE NAME; AND SO ITS EASIER TO FIND ON FORUMS ANS SO ON...

Suggestions would be nice

p.s. a logo might also be cool

Two issues are still holding me:

• The Fan issue

• The ATI x1600 issue

Someone posted a possible solution for the fan problem in macrumors. He said it might be solved with speedfan, a windows software for controlling the fan speed, this is the link

http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

Please reply if it works.

Wouldnt like to see my new Macbook Pro 2.0ghz melted.

It only found a HD temp sensor (Similar to a PPC app I ran also, can't see any of the other sensors yet.)

So, no... could not configure the fans.

Jeremy, can you expand on this a bit? The installer seems to finish, but nothing changes in the device list, they are all still "Other devices"

Am I missing a step?

-John

EDIT: I also see that the VGA driver is interfering with the chipset in IRQ stuff. Doesn't seem to be an issue, but it does say the device is conflicting.

I believe the only perceptible change people have mentioned is the ICH7 SMBus Controller is now recognizable. In general though, it's always a good idea to have the latest chipset drivers installed, even if it just "freshens" the ones redistributed by Microsoft.

I am not a genious when it comes to computer but u stated that probook uses x1600 card so i just looked up a driver according to that card...well here is a driver for video i really hope it works..so finally i can giveup pcs forever

http://www.acerpanam.com/synapse/forms/por...words=&areaid=7

i agree with toxic for the new name I suggest "iimacxp" i for intel, imac, xp well tht one is obvious but it would be easier to search...wht do u think?

Where did you hear this?

That would be an issue ( to say the least )

Considering I could iron my shirts with it when the fans are on. : )

I suspected something like this actually. Just running XP gets my MBP screaming hot. So, hot I stopped playing with trying different drivers to keep it from cooking. By the time it boots up and is running then thing is easily as hot as an hour or two of playing WoW under OSX.

Have any of you tried http://www.pbus-167.com/ ?

Its a program that gets temp readings for laptop processors. I am not sure if it supports the new duo's but it might be worth a shot. Atleast there you can see what temp your proc is running at, and can downclock just in case you want to work on the computer but dont want to risk blowing up your proc.

There is a notebook performance balancer program from intel thats on my sony laptop and you can turn the fans on and off from that. I will try to find that.

You can maybe use clockgen http://www.cpuid.com/clockgen.php to lower the multipliers, (or even check if they are off). That might cool it off a bit.

Doesn't seem to work. It can report the current clocks but, looks like I need to know what PLL controller is in the MBP to do much more.

CPU-Z does report my memory in dual channel mode which was interesting to know.

My bluetooth mouse worked right off the bat without adding any drivers BTW.

"iimacxp" i good but xp runs on all intel macs so we need something more Universal

How about

"OS Xp"

or

"Os Xxp" (other one might be mistaken upon searches)

(obvious what it stands for)

I think "XOM" (XP on Mac) is the best. That's what the developer called it. That should be the name.

=)

For those of you on the MacBook worrying about the fans:

Make sure to install the Intel Chipset Drivers. If they indeed have an ICH7 SMBus Controller INF/Driver this will help in getting thermal control. The next step I would suggest would be this:

http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/software/dcc/index.htm

Intel Desktop Control Center

I'm not sure if v2.0 or v1.3 will work. I would start with the newest version and work back if that doesn't work. I presently use this on a D975 motherboard at home to monitor and control the various fan speeds. See you have luck. Once installed and executed, there is a small fan icon on the right-hand side (as seen on that pages Flash demo). Click that and see if you are able to manage the fans.

Good luck, and reply with any success...

This didn't work. No IDCC board found after it tries to install SMBIOS (btw, the page mentions that the board must use the latest BIOS. Oops..). I tried their Board ID Tool as well -- no Intel desktop board found.

Not excatly a driver thing but...

WE NEED A NAME FOR MACINTELS RUNNING XP.. SO PEOPLE CAN GOOGLE THE NAME; AND SO ITS EASIER TO FIND ON FORUMS ANS SO ON...

Suggestions would be nice

p.s. a logo might also be cool

OSXP?

I think "XOM" (XP on Mac) is the best. That's what the developer called it. That should be the name.

=)

:)

(sort of :D)

well, XOM is the stock ticker symbol for Exxon Mobil, so that might not be the best choice.

it's also the XML Object Model, and that team of guys has asserted a trademark on "XOM"

We MacBook owners could probably get away with XOMB (pronounced "zombie")... but that wouldn't help the iMaccers.

Also, using the term "X" for "XP" is short-sighted. Vista is coming out in less than a year at which point "X" will be out of vogue.

What about modifying the ICBM (Intel Chip Based Macintosh) acronym? Say... WOICBM (Windows On Intel Chip Based Macintosh).

True, it's not sexy... but I did a Google search for WOICBM and you know how many results i got?

One.

"X" for "XP" is short-sighted.. YEAP

So it should be something like Windows On Mac

Windows will always be called windows

and like jobs said they're trying to create all Mac names for their comps.

So...

WoM (windows on mac)

WBM (windows based macs)

WoIM (windows on intel mac)

MW (think its in use but winmac)

IBM (intel based mac "hmmm think that one might also be in use")

Win OM (windows on mac = personal favorite)

and 0 results on google!!! its perfect :)

:offtopic:

(sort of ;))

well, XOM is the stock ticker symbol for Exxon Mobil, so that might not be the best choice.

it's also the XML Object Model, and that team of guys has asserted a trademark on "XOM"

We MacBook owners could probably get away with XOMB (pronounced "zombie")... but that wouldn't help the iMaccers.

Also, using the term "X" for "XP" is short-sighted. Vista is coming out in less than a year at which point "X" will be out of vogue.

What about modifying the ICBM (Intel Chip Based Macintosh) acronym? Say... WOICBM (Windows On Intel Chip Based Macintosh).

True, it's not sexy... but I did a Google search for WOICBM and you know how many results i got?

One.

ICBM = Inter Continental Ballastic Missile (cold wars - brrrrrr) :gun::hysterical:

:):offtopic:

WE KNOW!!!! :hysterical: !!!!!!!

But when any old noob comes and tries to find info its almost impossibly when googling...

Thats why I thought that a name that would "stick" would be a good idea.

So

Win OM

it stick and its not to be found on google :)