What about the new ATI HD4850 ?

Soner

911 posts in this topic

not sure if this is against the rules but...

I just picked up an EVGA 9800gtx+ Superclocked for $95(after rebate) from ZZF.

my brand new 4850 is going straight to ebay. I'm tired of waiting for working kexts / snow leo.

It's about the same performance and works great with OSX right?

Would it be a good choice to go for a 4850 or 4870 and use it on a dual boot OSX/XP and use it for XP and a 7800GT for OSX 10.5? And after that, when snow leo comes out, switch the 48XX to OSX and XP. Can the install of leo easily be crashed and rebuild for a snow leo without touching the XP partition?

Would it be a good choice to go for a 4850 or 4870 and use it on a dual boot OSX/XP and use it for XP and a 7800GT for OSX 10.5? And after that, when snow leo comes out, switch the 48XX to OSX and XP. Can the install of leo easily be crashed and rebuild for a snow leo without touching the XP partition?

U can delete the OS X partition if thats what ur asking. Although u may find that the boot select may still come up with only 1 option.

Hey , guys i have a question :

I have an HD4850 Graphic Card.

There is any Spare Driver that can replace whit the HD4850 Driver that didn't came out yet for Mac OS X Leopard - 10.5.6 ?

I mean a spare driver for now till the HD4000 Series Driver release , a Driver that support all Resolution , CI/QE and with OpenGL support as well. Anyone know ?

Hey , guys i have a question :

I have an HD4850 Graphic Card.

There is any Spare Driver that can replace whit the HD4850 Driver that didn't came out yet for Mac OS X Leopard - 10.5.6 ?

I mean a spare driver for now till the HD4000 Series Driver release , a Driver that support all Resolution , CI/QE and with OpenGL support as well. Anyone know ?

You just have to make a little effort and read the first posts of this topic. :thumbsdown_anim:

You just have to make a little effort and read the first posts of this topic. :)

OMG my post didn't saved.

Ok ill tell again in short:

I understand that there isn't a HD4850 Driver , but i ask if there is a SPARE driver that can replace him for this moment. a driver that support all res , with OpenGL and CI/QE.

A driver that i can run with it OpenGL Applications or movies without any crash or something.

if there is one , please tell me. Thanks.

OMG my post didn't saved.

Ok ill tell again in short:

I understand that there isn't a HD4850 Driver , but i ask if there is a SPARE driver that can replace him for this moment. a driver that support all res , with OpenGL and CI/QE.

A driver that i can run with it OpenGL Applications or movies without any crash or something.

if there is one , please tell me. Thanks.

So you know there is no driver that supports hd4800 series, but you are asking if there is one?

bashcomp.gif

naw man, he's looking for a SPARE driver. you know, like one you'd use when the normal HD4800 drivers break down. don't you have a spare one just lying around that you don't need anymore? </sarcasm> :)

Okay, I thought I read the whole thread but I mentioned only thoughts about installing the developer-beta of Snow Leopard, but I haven't seen anything about just using the driver. Can you explain to me why this is impossible or tell me on which page of this topic I will get the answer...

Okay, I thought I read the whole thread but I mentioned only thoughts about installing the developer-beta of Snow Leopard, but I haven't seen anything about just using the driver. Can you explain to me why this is impossible or tell me on which page of this topic I will get the answer...

Its impossible, because a lot has changed between 10.5.x and new Snow Leo .

OpenGL and ATI drivers which need each other.

Its not only an driver problem - its much more. Too much changes under the hood of Snow Leos gpu usage.

If there is no official 4XXX update from Apple for 10.5, you will never get them running in an 10.5 system.

It seems that the new HD4xxx controller kext interacts directly with the new kernel of Snow Leopard.

And that kernel, obviously, can't be used on Leopard.

I think that's one of the reasons, besides a lot more.

i was wondering the same thing, i was going to download snow leopard and try for myself, you know to do some footwork on my own, get some answers for myself instead of being spoonfed instructions every step of the way. Unfortunately for me i'm astoundingly retarted and i can't even manage to go to the bathroom without someone giving me explicit and direct instructions every step of the way. I know I know, I could try going by myself by i'm afraid i'll go in the laundry basket by mistake or get something caught in my zipper.

some status,

4870/4850 doesnt work on 261 without tricks;

if 48x0 card is the only one installed in system, 261 os will freeze after grey screen appers (after boot logo), only known sollution - to have another radeon hd card isntalled, which will has x2000.kext attacehd too, so no freeze this way.

althought, with 261 fb(controller(add dev-id in 4850 case), ATISupport, ATIFramebuffer), it all works on 10a222 os

some status,

4870/4850 doesnt work on 261 without tricks;

if 48x0 card is the only one installed in system, 261 os will freeze after grey screen appers (after boot logo), only known sollution - to have another radeon hd card isntalled, which will has x2000.kext attacehd too, so no freeze this way.

althought, with 261 fb(controller(add dev-id in 4850 case), ATISupport, ATIFramebuffer), it all works on 10a222 os

Hi Netkas,

I've been checking, out of curiosity, Ati kexts in 10a261 and saw only two dev-id (9456 and 9440) in ATI4800Controller.kext. If I remember correctly, Apple used to hard-code dev-id inside Ati drivers and we needed to patch them to be able to use them (coverg patch). With that in mind I've checked ATI4800Controller file with HEX editor and found those same dev-id inside. Maybe I'm wrong but could that be the problem with what you're facing in using HD4xxx as a single card.

Hi Netkas,

I've been checking, out of curiosity, Ati kexts in 10a261 and saw only two dev-id (9456 and 9440) in ATI4800Controller.kext. If I remember correctly, Apple used to hard-code dev-id inside Ati drivers and we needed to patch them to be able to use them (coverg patch). With that in mind I've checked ATI4800Controller file with HEX editor and found those same dev-id inside. Maybe I'm wrong but could that be the problem with what you're facing in using HD4xxx as a single card.

same problems with 4870

M0rpheus, look at #snowleopard room topic