What about the new ATI HD4850 ?

Soner

911 posts in this topic

I've asked around and examined the ATI frameworks/kexts and it doesn't look like the 4850 or 4870 will be supported anytime soon. It's different enough that 3850/3870 drivers won't work, and until Apple starts using the Radeon 4000-series cards in thier own systems there's little hope for a new driver.

Any 10.5.7 alpha kexts/opengl framework?

Hi guys, update time!

I have got my 4870X2 working with 10A222, resolution change but no QE, DVI2VGA adapter and only out of one connector. ATiRadeonX2000.kext panics when loaded, so I don't think it's a possibility to get QE working (at least in 222 or 261) at this stage.

But hey, res change is better than no res change, right?

Nice work M0rpheus! :)

Thanks! Although most of the credit should goto Netkas. He gave me the compatible Natit.kext and the idea to remove the custom 4850 binimage that he placed in it haha. 

It looks like there will be hope for us HD4*** users in Snow Leo afterall though. I'm just hoping that the next Snow Leo release will have better working kexts that won't panic on me and allow me to get QE working. Then I'll be a happy chappy ;)

Thanks! Although most of the credit should goto Netkas. He gave me the compatible Natit.kext and the idea to remove the custom 4850 binimage that he placed in it haha. 

It looks like there will be hope for us HD4*** users in Snow Leo afterall though. I'm just hoping that the next Snow Leo release will have better working kexts that won't panic on me and allow me to get QE working. Then I'll be a happy chappy :)

@Netkas and/or M0rpheus

How can I get my hands on that custom Natit.kext? Since I have HD4850 and had very hard time to force it to work in Snow Leo I'd be willing to try it out.

i can try the ati 4670 in snow leo 10A222, with the kexts from that version and from the recent one, the only thing i need is some help installing snow leo with pciefi, cause i can't seem to find any help online. let me know netkas if you can help me, so i can help you and the community, but if you have another tester for that card, it's all good.

Hey guys,

Just looking for some help to possibly get the X2000.kext to work without a panic.

I was thinking I might need to hex-edit the file, but there are multiple occurrences of 40 94 (4870 ID). How many do I need to replace, all or only some?

Also the problem might also be linked to my DSDT.aml file, which doesn't seem to like loading my GPU properly until I boot with -x and then try -f -v on the next boot (that's when the panic occurs). If anyone has alot of experience with it, could they possibly take a look at it?

Thanks!

Another update, an exciting one!

I have my 4870X2 (somewhat) fully working in Snow Leo 10A222 with res change, QE/CI on a DVI2VGA adapter :(

I hex edited the ATIRadeonX2000.kext and removed all 40 94 entries and replaced them with 41 94, that stopped the kernel panics and allowed it to load. However I do notice that it runs like {censored} and takes forever to boot. In fact it seems to hang once it has loaded the dock and won't let me use Finder.

I am going to try replacing the opengl frameworks with the ones from 261 and 190 and see what happens. :P

Another update, an exciting one!

I have my 4870X2 (somewhat) fully working in Snow Leo 10A222 with res change, QE/CI on a DVI2VGA adapter :D

I hex edited the ATIRadeonX2000.kext and removed all 40 94 entries and replaced them with 41 94, that stopped the kernel panics and allowed it to load. However I do notice that it runs like {censored} and takes forever to boot. In fact it seems to hang once it has loaded the dock and won't let me use Finder.

I am going to try replacing the opengl frameworks with the ones from 261 and 190 and see what happens. :D

So u think that it can be work for 4850?

So u think that it can be work for 4850?

Netkas has already proved it works with a 4850 with minimal editing. he has a 4850 himself and has managed to get it to work.

My problem now seems to be that having QE/CI enabled causes Finder to be unresponsive, not allowing me to do much. It seems to be linked to the X2000GLdriver.bundle, as when I replace this with 261's I get massive display corruption, and with 190's the OS crashes. 

Does anyone have any experience they are willing to share to help me get this working?

My problem now seems to be that having QE/CI enabled causes Finder to be unresponsive, not allowing me to do much.

Sounds like my case with 3870x2 and 10.5.5-6. I have to use an older version of OpenGL.framework to make it work.

Hey guys,

No one ever seems to reply to me on IRC, so I'm gonna post here. I need the ATI GL driver bundle from 10A190 to test it, apparently that's how many people have got their Nvidia cards working in 222, but I don't have the neccessary ATI files to test.

Anyone willing to send them to me so I can see if I can get this thing working please? :)

Hey guys,

No one ever seems to reply to me on IRC, so I'm gonna post here. I need the ATI GL driver bundle from 10A190 to test it, apparently that's how many people have got their Nvidia cards working in 222, but I don't have the neccessary ATI files to test.

Anyone willing to send them to me so I can see if I can get this thing working please? :(

Thanks !

IRC (i "can" :( ) is nice, but why not share the new needed test stuff (modded .kexts) here ? (if it is alowded by the devs (netkas))

I cant find any 48XX special natit or the .bin things on the IRC (channels radeonHD, SnowLeopard).

Or am i in the wrong channel ?

that's great news :)

Thank you for the hard work and congratulations.

I'd like to try this with my HD 4350 but cannot find the installation guide referred above (sorry, I'm new to this and not familiar with the process of manually adding drivers).

Here is the download link for the 4850/4870 drivers: http://is.gd/l0gf

Cheers :P

Installed it but unfortunately doesn't work with the HD 4350, even though the ATIRadeonX2000.kext is supposed to support it.

@the master (aka netkas): did you modify the extensions to get the 48xx to work?

Nevertheless: great work, I'm impressed how in a matter of days this went from "forget it, it won't work in Leopard" to "sorted, check the installer" :blink:

i downloaded the drivers and installed it, (didn't reboot) then used SwitchResX and added custom resolution of 1680x1050 because it still showed 1024 x 7xx.. and when restard the comp and i try to boot it shows a second of the os loading but then it doesn't detect my display anymore, so can't get into os. HOW CAN I FIX IT...?