What about the new ATI HD4850 ?

Soner

911 posts in this topic

prozacc , try to connect it this way:

DVI2VGA ------> DVI2

DVI ------------> DVI1

DVI1 is a closest to mobo port.

if it doesnt work, swap it and try again.

Ok, i'll try that later. Now i'm working on both connected (DVI/VGA to second, DVI to first) and its working like a charm (1920x1200x60 from start). I have one more question: if it will work for me (your instructions) do i have to switch that cables everytime i'm starting osx or it will start correctly on next boot?

Thanks

The kernel panics when I try to mount a DMG - so I don't think it's related to the graphics drivers.

I'd like to know why the kernel freaks out at that point but, as far as I can tell, the drivers work perfectly for me :D

Thank you!

if you are using the voodoo kernel which i think you said you were... you need the seatbelt.kext from a 10.5.5 installation.

Maybe I'm asking too much for now, but running fullscreen 3d games (like wc3) gives me a black screen, my screen doesn't get a signal anymore.

(The map editor works by the way, so it's probably the only a fullscreen/resolution thingy freakin it out)

I already tried installing the 10.5.7 OpenGL.extension but I didn't experience ANY chance with that.

Beside that though, everything works really really great for me.

---

I just tried World of Warcraft, which works nicely. I think there's a little problem when changing resolutions on the fly.

I can confirm that QE/CI support on a HD4870 card (MSI HD4870 512MB in my case) requires the OpenGL.Framework v10.5.7 if u have 10.5.6 u won't get QE/CI support.

CycloneFr provided a link for the 10.5.7 Framework.

remove the old OpenGl.Framework copy this one in its place and repair the permissions. U can also do that using 'osx86 tools'. After a reboot u will have QE/CI support enabled.

misteroizo

p.s. Yay!! QE/CI!! :D

So to be clear you used this package http://rapidshare.de/files/45661062/7_rade...8x0_drivers.pkg

then restarted, did not have QE/CI and then copied hte framwork you linked above, repaired premissions and now everything works.

I have 4870 and about to install ipc 10.5.6 to test this out :).

I have no noticeable issues with my Gigabyte Radeon 4870.

Installed the driver package and the OpenGL framework from this thread.

Resolution change and QE/CI, Using DVI from port 1 directly to my LCD and a

VGA/DVI adapter on the other.

So to be clear you used this package http://rapidshare.de/files/45661062/7_rade...8x0_drivers.pkg

then restarted, did not have QE/CI and then copied hte framwork you linked above, repaired premissions and now everything works.

I have 4870 and about to install ipc 10.5.6 to test this out :) .

Yes, correct.

Make sure to repair the permissions after u have replaced the original OpenGL.Framework with the 10.5.7 version. Then reboot.

misteroizo

I've tried on 10.5.5 and 10.5.6 after installing "7_radeon_hd_48x0_drivers.pkg" and then rebooting it gave me a no signal (black screen) upon boot in normal and "-x" mode using direct VGA and VGA>DVI, VGA>DVI>HDMI connection. I have the Palit 4870 1GB Sonic Edition, which has only 1xVGA, DVI and 2xHDMI slots. All in which gave me no signal. I've reinstalled Mac OS X86 twice now and I give up on this driver lol unless someone can shed the light on something special..

I've tried on 10.5.5 and 10.5.6 after installing "7_radeon_hd_48x0_drivers.pkg" and then rebooting it gave me a no signal (black screen) upon boot in normal and "-x" mode using direct VGA and VGA>DVI, VGA>DVI>HDMI connection. I have the Palit 4870 1GB Sonic Edition, which has only 1xVGA, DVI and 2xHDMI slots. All in which gave me no signal. I've reinstalled Mac OS X86 twice now and I give up on this driver lol unless someone can shed the light on something special..

Im not sure what is going wrong with your setup but make sure u:

Also install the OpenGL.Framework 10.5.7 available in this thread

After installing the pkg dont reboot but first repair all permissions (if u dont know how u can use osx86 tools to do that too).

On my system the screen went black too just make sure u use the DVI>VGA adapter on the 2nd DVI port (the one closest to the motherboard) After a reboot everything worked like it should. U can try to reboot with -x or even with -f

misteroizo

I got my HD4850 working (having QE/CI supported), but I have the bouncing screen problem which has been posted by a few people before me.

My screen bounces every 4-5 seconds, and it's very annoying after a short period of time.

It's strange, sometimes it's stop doing this, but I don't really know what causes this. Maybe it's because I have to use DVI2VGA on the second port?

Is there any way to fix it? Or will there be?

Anyway, thanks for the hard work!!!

I don't have any bouncing screen on my HD4850 but i can't make it working only with one cable connected... I have to use both connected, any other combination don't work.

btw. how can i check that i have QE/CI working? I don't have big experience with osx.

I installed these drivers yesterday and they are working fine, except I can't change the resolution without getting a black screen, and I have to have my DVI cable and my VGA cable (DVI>VGA) plugged in at the same time, which I guess is normal for everyone.

Now I gotta wait for iPC to download so I can start all over.

Im not sure what is going wrong with your setup but make sure u:

Also install the OpenGL.Framework 10.5.7 available in this thread

After installing the pkg dont reboot but first repair all permissions (if u dont know how u can use osx86 tools to do that too).

On my system the screen went black too just make sure u use the DVI>VGA adapter on the 2nd DVI port (the one closest to the motherboard) After a reboot everything worked like it should. U can try to reboot with -x or even with -f

misteroizo

How would I install the "OpenGL.Framework 10.5.7"? There seem to be a ".mpkg" file or ".kext" so which file should I open?

This is only my 2nd day of this whole OSx86 so I am quite nooby :wacko:

And, as I've said I only got 1 DVI and 1 VGA port on my Palit 1GB 4870 Sonic Edition.

heres the pretty much the exact pic of my 4870:

http://www.notebooksbilliger.de/image.php/palit_512mb_4870_sonic_dual_edition_pcie

So, I've tried this VGA>DVI connection (vga adapter for my vga monitor) then plugged it into the DVI socket and still a black screen even though I booted -v, -x or -f.

Bouncy screen problem seems to be related to Motmot frame buffer. Since this frame buffer has come from 10.5.7_BETA update it's understandable that it has some bugs. Hopefully those glitches will be ironed out in final 10.5.7 update. Currently Motmot is the only frame buffer that allows ATI HD4XXX GPU to work. Anyhow we all should remember that less than 24 hours ago we had unsupported graphic cards. I guess if bouncing becomes too irritating you can always delete Natit.kext and return to previous non QE/CI state.

@chinkzsta

it seems that your VGA is Radeon™ HD 4870 Sonic Dual Edition. It has HD4870x2 GPU which is still unsupported.

yes, it is the sonic dual edition.. you sure it has HD4870x2 GPU?! thats nuts..

i guess i have to reinstall OSx86 again...... grr

I'm not sure. Palit gives almost no useful specs. It just sounds like HD4870x2 with memory cut down to 1GB. Maybe that "dual" in it's name has fooled me.

EDIT: I've checked some reviews of your card and it seems that it is basically HD4870 but modified far beyond reference design that I'm not really sure that it can be considered proper HD4870 card. Just by looking at all those output ports I can imagine extent of modding that Palit did.

Hello!

Great news!

Did any of you tried with a 4830?

I did. No luck yet. Just a black screen and nothing more. My card only has 1 DVI port btw, the other is a D-SUB. I tried both, the DVI with and without DVI->D-SUB adapter.

I have to say that I'm very new to this stuff, made my first OSx86 install about a week ago, then I still had 9600 Pro and all was fine.. now.. I wait patiently till someone can help me solve my issues with 4830... :withstupid:

Edit: Wow, I'm kinda shocked to find out, it seems I registered here 3,5 years ago :censored2: I tried to register this nick when it said it was already in use, so I tried the password I tend to use a lot and.... :censored2:

I'm not sure. Palit gives almost no useful specs. It just sounds like HD4870x2 with memory cut down to 1GB. Maybe that "dual" in it's name has fooled me.

it's not the 4870X2, it's just the regular 4870 gpu.

there are 2 versions of HD4870: one with 512mb memory, one with 1gb memory, so he just has the 1gb hd4870 (same as me :withstupid: )

the "dual" just refers to the dual fans. I made sure 100% from this site:

http://techgage.com/article/palit_radeon_h...c_dual_edition/

where it says "Palit's Sonic "Dual Edition" card is named as such because it includes two fans with steeply-curved blades, completely unlike the leaf-blower fan that the reference design includes."

I hope this makes it clear. Anyway, great job everyone (especially Netkas)!