What about the new ATI HD4850 ?

Soner

911 posts in this topic

Yes, correct.

Make sure to repair the permissions after u have replaced the original OpenGL.Framework with the 10.5.7 version. Then reboot.

misteroizo

after i reboot i only get blank screens. This is after installing the package before i did the framework and permissions. I guess you meant to do it all then restart?

If i reboot and use graphics mode = 1280x1024 i get two blue screens. Then it restarts

I read jsut installing the package should work.

So i reinstalled, using retail disk, updated to 10.5.6. Everything working except video. Installed the package, then replaced the openGL.Framework and used osx tools to repair permissions. Restarted and now i get to blue screens then a restart.

Anyone have any clue how to fix this? It seems so close

Well i reinstalled, using iPC and isntalled the pkg. Rebooted and it looked like it worked, got to the desktop but did not complete loading. Restart and all i get is the light blue screens.

Fixing the blue screens is easy. Do the below commands after booting with -s:

/sbin/mount -uw /
cd /System/Library/Extensions
rm -r natit.kext
rm -r atiradeonx2000.kext
exit

It should boot just fine but without the drivers installed. Once you're at your desktop, install the drivers again and reboot.

Can we start an Idiot's Guide for HD48x0?

1] Download drivers package from links in this thread (7_radeon_hd_48x0_drivers.pkg)

2] Download the 10.5.7 OpenGL.framework from link in this thread (cyclonefr)

3] Install the drivers pkg, repair permissions from Disk Utility (or command line), reboot

4] Backup your existing OpenGL.framework and replace with 10.5.7 framework, repair permissions again, reboot

5] Check About This Mac to see if QE/CI are supported/accelerated

Do we need any injectors or EFI strings or is this covered by the drivers package?

Does this work if you simply connect DVI from port 1 (closest to motherboard) to your monitor?

Any Device ID edits needed?

Do we need to do anything special during first reboot? -f or -x?

Does this work with vanilla and Voodoo kernel?

ANSWERS FROM NETKAS ARE BELOW

Do we need any injectors or EFI strings or is this covered by the drivers package?

natit is already inside pkg

Does this work if you simply connect DVI from port 1 (closest to motherboard) to your monitor?

on 4870 - yes (mostly), on 4850 u need to conenct dvi2vga adapter to second dvi port (no need to connect monitor to it, only adapter itself needed)

Any Device ID edits needed?

no, 4850 ans 4870 is well supported, 4830 isnt supported bby x2000.kext (even after patching kext(binary) to make it work with card, so i guess same attitude will be with 4870x2.

Do we need to do anything special during first reboot? -f or -x?

no, althought, somebody got output on 4870 only after 2 or 3 reboots

Does this work with vanilla and Voodoo kernel?

yes, with both

To expand on what netkas already said:

No need for additional injectors. Just check/modify Natit.kext and ATIRadeonX2000.kext that come with 7_radeon_hd_48x0_drivers.pkg after installing to include your cards dev-id (my dev-id 9442 was already in).

Will this driver work and in which port configuration depends largely on your card (and monitor). Only consistent thing that I've seen sofar is that you need to plug DVI to VGA adapter into one of the ports wether you use it or not. In my case I have DVI to VGA plugged in port 2 and DVI to HDMI pluged into port 1. My monitor (Samsung SyncMaster 920NW) is connected to VGA and my TV (Samsung PD50A410) to HDMI but no dual screen. When I want to use monitor I have to unplug HDMI cable from TV. As soon as I plug HDMI in, VGA port switches off and HDMI switches on with TV fully detected, correct resolution and refresh rate.

As for OpenGL.framework from 10.5.7 it is not needed to install it. I'm not using it, just installed driver pkg. My advice would be:

- Install driver pkg (check for dev-id, if it's in you're good to go if not add it and repair permissions)

- Try all port combinations using DVI to VGA adapter

- If previous steps failed install OpenGL.framework from 10.5.7 and try all port combinations.

-If everything has failed remove Natit.kext and ATIRadeonX2000.kext and wait for future updates.

How would I install the "OpenGL.Framework 10.5.7"? There seem to be a ".mpkg" file or ".kext" so which file should I open?

This is only my 2nd day of this whole OSx86 so I am quite nooby ;)

And, as I've said I only got 1 DVI and 1 VGA port on my Palit 1GB 4870 Sonic Edition.

heres the pretty much the exact pic of my 4870:

http://www.notebooksbilliger.de/image.php/palit_512mb_4870_sonic_dual_edition_pcie

So, I've tried this VGA>DVI connection (vga adapter for my vga monitor) then plugged it into the DVI socket and still a black screen even though I booted -v, -x or -f.

The OpenGL.Framework is more like a folder u replace. the original OpenGL.Framework folder sits in: /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.Framework u need to replace the OpenGL.Framework folder with the new version 10.5.7 one. Don't overwrite it, but replace. After u have done that, u must repair the permissions.

I know i googled your card, but u can try it out easeally, if u have the wrong port u will get "no-signal" on your monitor, if u have the right one itll probably come up with a light blue screen at least or some black screen with text on it. (this was in my case, at least.) I dont have like multiple HD's and mobo's lying around to play with other setups =P

misteroizo

I've been messing around with some configurations this morning, and I even gave the 10.5.7 framework a shot too. There's no (visual) difference for me when I use the 10.5.7 OpenGL framework, so my advice to all noobs is to not bother trying to install it and just use the ati 48x0 pkg provided by netkas.

When I had my VGA converter plugged into the DVI port furthest away form the motherboard, and my DVI cable hooked up to the monitor in the other port, I experience pauses every 2 - 3 seconds (everything would freeze). I swapped it around so now my VGA converter is in the port closest to the motherboard (no cable actually going to the monitor) and the freezing issue is no longer present.

In fact, during the whole 2 minutes it took me to type this post, I haven't experienced one screen jerk (the bounce effect). It may seem weird, but the screen only jerks when I'm using the mouse.

In fact, during the whole 2 minutes it took me to type this post, I haven't experienced one screen jerk (the bounce effect). It may seem weird, but the screen only jerks when I'm using the mouse.

Same thing here. I'm using USB mouse. I'll try my old PS/2 mouse and post results.

EDIT: Same thing with PS/2. Can someone with 10.5.7_BETA package check if AppleHIDMouse.kext or IOHIDFamily.kext are also included in this update?

wow!! finally!! xD

I only installed the 48xx drivers pkg, and it's fully working!!!

no need to install 10.5.7 opengl.framework!

and no bouncy screen!! xD

EDIT: I have a Club3D OC HD4870

No bouncing/jerking screen? Interesting... You're on 10.5.6, right?

What's your configuration regarding VGA adapter, etc...?

Jerking only appears if you are using HD4850. No HD4870 user has reported screen jerking.

Really? That's weird... ;)

I have HD4850 and I don't have any problems with bouncing. I only installed pkg with drivers.

Which HD 4850 do you have (eg, Sapphire, etc)?

Really? That's weird... ;)

Another thing is HD4870 gives full dual screen support and some even managed to use drivers without DVI to VGA adapter. No HD4850 user has reported being able to have dual screen and as far as I recall every HD4850 user had to plug DVI to VGA adapter to port 2 to be able to use this drivers.

so , about 4850

when u have vga monitor attached to second dvi port, via dvi2vga (in Sabr's case it's first dvi port) display appear in ATY,Motmot@0

and when u plug dvi monitor to anotther dvi port, it steals connection in ATY,Motmot@0 from vga display, instead of appearing in ATY,Motmot@1 .

it reminds me how laptop cards work by default, in windows, heh.

when I swapped DVI connections and booted (DVI1 - DVI2VGA (only converter) and DVI2 - DVI display) , i had that freezes sabr was talking about, display attached to @0.

and last thing, when I booted with DVI1 - DVI2VGA (VGA display), DVI2 - DVI display, display(type LCD) was connected to @0, display(type CRT) was connected to @1, according to system_profiler (via ssh) displays was correctly recognized, but, both was giving me blue screen, I used vnc(desktop sharing) and saw both screen working perfectly, just no real output to Monitors.

Installed the driver on my PowerColor 4850 512MB. Upon reboot, black screen. Try connect the dvi2vga at the 2nd port and voila, the screen returns! Checked CI/QE are both enabled and changed the screen to 1900x1200, NICE!!!

Thanks netkas! You are the man! :D

Currently encountered by the constant jerky screen, anyone have any idea how to fix that?

wow!! finally!! xD

I only installed the 48xx drivers pkg, and it's fully working!!!

no need to install 10.5.7 opengl.framework!

and no bouncy screen!! xD

EDIT: I have a Club3D OC HD4870

Did u check to see if your card is also supporting QE/CI right now? When i installed the driver at first everything also worked -exept- the QE/CI part, i had to install the framework to get that. So did u check if QE/CI is working for u?

misteroizo

Currently encountered by the constant jerky screen, anyone have any idea how to fix that?

Not yet, but what is interesting is that this behaviour doesn't occur with 4870's... I think until we can understand this reason, or another update to the framebuffer, we'll continue to have this problem.

They are both based off the RV770 GPU, however the 4870's use GDDR5 memory whereas the 4850's have GDDR3. I'd like to see what happens on a 4830...

I've been messing around with some configurations this morning, and I even gave the 10.5.7 framework a shot too. There's no (visual) difference for me when I use the 10.5.7 OpenGL framework, so my advice to all noobs is to not bother trying to install it and just use the ati 48x0 pkg provided by netkas.

Its not about the visual difference, the driver netkas provided works well, but some ppl including me did not get QE/CI with the driver alone. Only after installing the OpenGL.Framework from 10.5.7 QE/CI works.

misteroizo

I have Gainward (Golden Sample version, 512mb)

The diference here that I can see is that your card has memory clock of 1100Mhz (2200MHz effectively) factory setting wheres mine (Asus EAH4850 TOP/HTDI/512M) has 1050MHz (2100MHz effectively). SAPPHIRE HD 4850 512MB has memory clock of 993MHz (1986 MHz effectevly). Maybee memory clock difference is significant.