What about the new ATI HD4850 ?

Soner

911 posts in this topic

any progress?

Still trying to get it to boot correctly on the vanilla kernel first. Nearly gets there (with new EFI V9 4 for 261), something is stopping it though. I'm experimenting with kexts and things, but it doesn't seem like there's much help around.

Some people have gotten it working, I think it just depends on the chipset and hardware compatibility.

This is a shame. It would be nice to at least be able to increase my resolution from 1024x768 (on a 24" screen the bouncing dockbar icons are scary). I'm not quite familiar enough with osx86 yet to start tinkering with it.

Hopefully a breakthrough will be made soon!

This is a shame. It would be nice to at least be able to increase my resolution from 1024x768 (on a 24" screen the bouncing dockbar icons are scary). I'm not quite familiar enough with osx86 yet to start tinkering with it.

Hopefully a breakthrough will be made soon!

In VESA mode you can go beyond 1024x768, you just can't go widescreen (as far as I know at least, if I'm wrong and there's a way to force widescreen anyway I'd LOVE to know how! I'm staring at 2 stretched out screens with the same output when I'm in Leopard, getting rid of the stretched part would ease the pain of running VESA drivers on a HD4870 at least a little bit :D).

When booting, press F8 to be able to pass additional options. Type ?video to see the resolutions available. Then just type the wanted resolution in the syntax: "Graphics Mode"="1400x1050x32" and boot with that. (32 is the bit depth)

After booting, you could add it to your /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist to have it automatically set.

Syntax:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1400x1050x32</string>

If your screen's native resolution is 1920x1200, you might prefer 1600x1200x32.

Eh yea, anyways this is my first post on this forum.. so a big HI! to everyone.

some status,

4870/4850 doesnt work on 261 without tricks;

if 48x0 card is the only one installed in system, 261 os will freeze after grey screen appers (after boot logo), only known sollution - to have another radeon hd card isntalled, which will has x2000.kext attacehd too, so no freeze this way.

althought, with 261 fb(controller(add dev-id in 4850 case), ATISupport, ATIFramebuffer), it all works on 10a222 os

Hiya Netkas,

To get the 4850 in 222 did you only take the controller, Support and Framebuffer kexts from 261 and put them in 222?

I put those 3 files in and added my DevID and now the GUI doesn't want to load :S

I have 4850 too. You are saying there is no support for it yet. Does it mean I will be stuck at 1024*768 resolution with choppy performance of the OS ?
Choppy performance: yes. Stuck at 1024x768: no. Exactly three posts before yours I posted this:
In VESA mode you can go beyond 1024x768, you just can't go widescreen (as far as I know at least, if I'm wrong and there's a way to force widescreen anyway I'd LOVE to know how! I'm staring at 2 stretched out screens with the same output when I'm in Leopard, getting rid of the stretched part would ease the pain of running VESA drivers on a HD4870 at least a little bit -_- ).

When booting, press F8 to be able to pass additional options. Type ?video to see the resolutions available. Then just type the wanted resolution in the syntax: "Graphics Mode"="1400x1050x32" and boot with that. (32 is the bit depth)

After booting, you could add it to your /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist to have it automatically set.

Syntax:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1400x1050x32</string>

If your screen's native resolution is 1920x1200, you might prefer 1600x1200x32.

M0rpheus, u dont have a natit, do u ?

i noticed, sometimes kernel stuck at reading startup extensions, if dsdt.aml(even if it matches original) wasnt loaded.

No, no Natit installed. I don't need it do I?

I've noticed that whenever I put my device ID in ATIRadeonX2000.kext and have the ATI4800Controller loaded also with my device ID, that the 2000.kext causes a kernel panic on startup. I've found that what happens is, my card is detected somewhat and the OS says something about "slot 1" twice (one for each of my graphics cores, I have a 4870X2 and it doesn't normally say that) and then the ATIRadeonX2000.kext panics.

I'm thinking that the 2000.kext needs to be properly HEX edited with the right info for it to work correctly, however I don't know how to do it.

I also have doubts that my DSDT patcher and DSDT.aml file are correct, as it doesn't seem to do anything either way. I do however have it loading at startup, and still get a kernel panic. As soon as I delete all the ATI kexts, the system boots again.

If you or anyone else has experience (like with the 3870X2 and HEX editing to get it working) your help would be very much appreciated!

Just wanted to say thanks for the help. I'm guessing that without any driver support, there's no way to get dual display working through my 4850. With most everything else working (wireless, sound, etc) the 2nd display is about all that's left which I want!

Okay I've been experimenting with EFI strings today, with not much luck. I took a 3870X2 plist and edited it, turned it into a HEX and stuck it into my boot.plist (also using the correct Device location).

Unfortunately the graphics card is still not detected. The funny thing is, IOREG shows mose of the device info.

HOWEVER, if I try to boot into safe mode, it won't boot, but after I try that and then attempt to boot in regular -f -v mode, the system shows my card as "Slot 1" and freezes during the loading process. The only way to fix this is to delete all ATI kexts and revert back to my original com.bootlist file.

I'm about ready to give up on this. I don't know whether there is some more editing that can be done that I don't know about, or whether the drivers just can't work with a 4870 card just yet. :)

I've done some tests in 10a261 without any success.

Using unedited 10a261 kexts I get scrambled desktop showing in bottom half of screen and upper half showing last startup text. Mouse cursor is showing and is moveable across whole screen.

Inserting my dev-id (9442) in ATI4800Controller.kext just freezes screen on last boot lines with system running in background.

Same thing occurs if kexts from 10a222 are used.

If I delete ATI4800Controller.kext (or ATI4600Controller.kext in case of 10a222 kexts) system boots to GUI but than starts turning GUI on and off.

Only way to boot to GUI was to delete all ATI kexts.

NOTE: I'm using mach_kernel.261a. Tried booting with Vanilla kernel, Debug kernel (from Apple) and mach_kernel_sn but they all give me KP with AppleACPIPlatform.kext. With mach_kernel.261a I'm able to boot but I'm getting errors with AppleSMBusPCI.kext.

Looks like there will be a lot of work to get Snow Leo working properly on PC.

EDIT: Does anyone know what is a framebuffer name for RV770 GPU? There are a lot of them in Snow Leo's ATIFramebuffer.kext.