What about the new ATI HD4850 ?

Soner

911 posts in this topic

I wonna make a hackintosh too but this 4850 isn't supported yet so the solution would be buying a 8800GT or the other solution could be buying a 4850 and a 2600 or 2400 like aed0101 did. Where is that tutorial how to put 2 graphical cards in it...let me look ;)

Yes I would be very interested by the second method.

I have a pc with a 4870 and i'm tired of waiting for a driver.

Since I don't wanna play or do stuff that needs a huge graphic card, I looked for a method to have a second graphic card, which is supported.

I saw that we can apparently have a pci-e + a pci graphic card ( radeon 2400 pro pci, for example ). Though, I don't know if we can put 2 differents pci-e ( even if it would be the best, because a 2400 is still a 2400, it would be nice to have a 3xxx or so.. ).

I only know the headlines. For example I don't know how we tell the computer which graphic card to use, and when, etc....

So if someone got some informations or tutorials about this, it would be great -_-

You dictate which graphic card takes priority through the BIOS using the PEG1/PEG2/PCI settings. I have a 4850 in my machine that is only used when I boot into Vista; in OSX I use the BIOS switch to make my 7300GT on my other PCI-E slot the primary card. Depending on your setup you might have to also switch monitor cables as you dualboot into the other system, or you can buy a cheap HMDI/DVI switcher to make it painless.

Since you can also use the BIOS to dictate which hard disk is the bootdisk, this is also a way to dualboot between Vista and OSX without mucking up the bootloader of either.

I use my 6800gt PCI-E on leopard and my 4850 on xp.

To alternate boot I configured my asus pk pro bios under the option "advanced"-"north bridge configuration"-"initiate graphic adapter" "peg/pci".

If you change the last value you can alternate graphic card on boot.

PEG means pci-e graphics and on my sistem is the first slot, PCI the second one.

I have my 4850 on the first slot and the 6800gt on the second one.

I saved 2 bios setting and I use the first one to boot windows and the second one to boot osx.

Is boring to access bios to switch O.S., but this is, actually, the best solution.

bye, Ago.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I think i'm going to buy a 3650 with passive cooling. I'm going to use Leo for a home-studio application, so I think this card will be enough, even if appz like logic 8 have a interface which can be hard on the graphic card, sometimes..

i'm pretty sure we're stuck waiting for snow leopard, but considering there was no mention of SL at macworld or the new updated macs other than 17inch laptop, i have a feeling they're saving a few things up to be released at once, or waiting perhaps for the economy to stop hemorrhaging. who knows.

VESA supports the modes that the BIOS supports.

It varies with the board, some don't support 4:3, some do.

If you want to know the available video modes, type ?video at boot prompt.

So, what I'm getting from this is that I can run OSX at whatever resolution VESA supports even though the card is not supported. I just checked, and my bios does support 1680x1050x32.

What about dual screens?

-Gabe

I got rid of my 4850 and opted to get a GTX 260 instead. Figured that by the time the 4800 series works on OS X, so will the 200 series. It turned out better this way as this nvidia card is capable of doing 1680x1050 in VESA mode, while the ATI card could not. Since my board has 2 PCIE slots, I think I may as well just buy a cheap 7200GS card and use it while I wait. Now if I could only get my sound to work I would be set.

:(

That's what I did, I bough a 60$ Radeon 2400 pro and I only use my 4870 in Vista for gaming... The annoying thing is the 4870 fan, it runs at maximum speed all the time when I boot from the 2nd card.

Anyone have a suggestion to get rid of this fan issue?

That's what I did, I bough a 60$ Radeon 2400 pro and I only use my 4870 in Vista for gaming... The annoying thing is the 4870 fan, it runs at maximum speed all the time when I boot from the 2nd card.

Anyone have a suggestion to get rid of this fan issue?

Check http://www.techpowerup.com/ and mod your GPU BIOS. I did this with my EAH4850 and played a little with Voltage and underclocked it in idle mode. So it is more silent because fan does not run so high anymore because of low temp. There are many toutorials.

New info from Netkas site on SL:

Some facts about 10a222

January 20th 2009 Posted to ATI, Apple, Snow Leopard

Known facts is:

1) most userspace apps is 32/64-bits now, except safari and itunes

2) vanila kernel works on Core i7

3) there is a lot of 32/64-bit drivers now, like ati drivers, but still some 32-bit only drivers, like nvidia drivers and atheros.

4) there is completly new framebuffer system for ati cards, one unified framebuffer kexts with plugins for specific models(they called ATIXXXXController.kext, XXXX is a card family)

5) ati 2600 and 3800 cards doesnt work with hardware acceleration(qe/ci/gl) on hacks

6) nvidia drivers support (in theory) new geforce gtx260/280 cards

this list is not complete.

There is one way to extract the video driver & test if works fine with the new HD4800 family?

If the driver works with "Snow" is also compatible with Leopard (10.5.6) or own only with Snow Leopard?

Sigh...

they are stock from 10a222 adn they doesnt work on leo, i checked already

Argh, ok.. :) so for Leopard 10.5.6 there will never be a driver compatible with 4850?

Maybe. I am pretty new to Mac's (aside from my first gen Mini) but as far as I can tell, if they were to release 4850s for use on OS X, they would then have to make it backwards compatible for those who are not interested in buying Snow Leopard, but still own the hardware on older software. Anyone else care to chime in and verify that please?

:thumbsup_anim:

For the askers about Snow Leo Dev gpu drivers Versions:

Their gfx drivers implemented very different, need the snow leo kernel - will not/never work in an Leopard system.

May only be an information for lastexile or others to mod / extend leo drivers with needed stuff to dev leo drivers.

But thats much more than do little changes in .plists !!!

Check http://www.techpowerup.com/ and mod your GPU BIOS. I did this with my EAH4850 and played a little with Voltage and underclocked it in idle mode. So it is more silent because fan does not run so high anymore because of low temp. There are many toutorials.

Maybe i'm a little off topic.

Anyway, to silent out the card it is necessary to downclock the Boot (0) Powerplay state Clock information?

Please help me, i had enough of this whining!!! :)