What about the new ATI HD4850 ?

Soner

911 posts in this topic

.. and when restard the comp and i try to boot it shows a second of the os loading but then it doesn't detect my display anymore, so can't get into os. HOW CAN I FIX IT...?

- on startup, choose option -x (safe boot) which should allow you to start into the GUI

Then remove the installed kexts:

- run the installer again and choose "options" to show you the extensions that have been installed

- go to /System/Library/Extensions/ and remove the extensions listed above

- restart, you are back in VESA mode

Krude, but it did the job for me.

If you have a 48xx card, check netka's blog, you may need a dvi-vga adapter.

2 ChimSane: Is your card´s device ID listed there?

At last my HD 4850 is working fine. No artifacts here. Using DVI2VGA adapter (my display is VGA only).

Thank you Apple, ATI and Netkas!

Where do you expect me to look up the device ID?

- if I install the driver, I only have garbage on my screen, so I cannot verify anything

- earlier in this thread, my card is listed for the ATIRadeonX2000.kext: 0x954F1002 RV710 - ATI RADEON HD 4350

My monitor is connected through VGA, not DVI.

After re-digesting the thread I believe, the driver has to be edited, unfortunately, my level of experience with OS X means I have no idea how to do this or what has to be edited.

Yea these work but it is sort of annoying the screen bounces. I can imagine the eyes getting really tired of this quick. May have to go back to the 950 until this is fixed. This is fantastic though. Was beginning to think I made a huge mistake getting this card. Thanks all who worked on getting this far.

- on startup, choose option -x (safe boot) which should allow you to start into the GUI

Then remove the installed kexts:

- run the installer again and choose "options" to show you the extensions that have been installed

- go to /System/Library/Extensions/ and remove the extensions listed above

- restart, you are back in VESA mode

Krude, but it did the job for me.

If you have a 48xx card, check netka's blog, you may need a dvi-vga adapter.

thanks for a quick reply, much appreciated.

but i gave '-x' a try, it loaded the apple loading screen then when it was on its way to the desktop, it lost signal to my screen.

im using a dvi-vga adapter for my screen already btw..

i have recently installed the package 7_radeon_hd_48x0_drivers on a ideneb 1.4 (10.5.6) fresh install.

reboot the pc

after loading osx , the screen goes black ( using dvi over 2nd connector of the vga )

with the pc on, i plug the dvi2vga adaptor to the first dvi connector of the vga, and voila!, osx @ 1920x1200 QE/CI enabled on dvi @ 2nd connector

so.. i think that from now, it only works with a dvi monitor on 2nd connector, with the dvi2vga on the first one.

but finally i have osx @ 4850!

pd: i have screen flickering too.... it keeps bouncing every 5 seconds

pd2: sry my english :S

The driver sees all 1024MB of my 4850, plus QE/CI enabled. When I use DVI, screen output pauses every 3 seconds, so it's unusable... These problems aren't present when using VGA, but the screen doesn't auto-focus, and therefore the image is pushed outside the display panel and slightly stretched. But at least we're getting somewhere. :rolleyes:

FYI, I boot up with DVI closest to the mobo hooked up to my monitor, with the VGA converter plugged into the other port.

re you using an LCD? If so most LCDs I've had have an "Auto Adjust" to center the screen. If not it's really out of sync which would be wierd it would display at all on an LCD....Stranger things have happened.

The driver sees all 1024MB of my 4850, plus QE/CI enabled. When I use DVI, screen output pauses every 3 seconds, so it's unusable... These problems aren't present when using VGA, but the screen doesn't auto-focus, and therefore the image is pushed outside the display panel and slightly stretched. But at least we're getting somewhere. :wacko:

FYI, I boot up with DVI closest to the mobo hooked up to my monitor, with the VGA converter plugged into the other port.

Works here on Sapphire Radeon 4870/512 (9440 1002) in 1680x1050, DVI on first port and no need to plug anything on the second one. No screen flickering or stuttering whatsoever. QE and CI are active and working.

Changing resolutions leads to a black screen and frozen OS but i can live with it.

Kudos to Netkas, CycloneFR, LastExile and all the IRC mates; You really made my day, guys.

That's expected since Motmot comes from 10.5.7_Beta (9j22). Still, it's a huge progress from only yesterday with no drivers at all to usable, albeit a bit buggy, support for ATI HD4XXX. Hopefully official release of 10.5.7 will have polished frame buffer.

Netkas once more thank you for your hard work.

Hello everyone.

First, a BIG BIG THX to Netkas and everyone who helped to make this possible.

Before trying (i use actually a 8400GS on 2nd PCIE port) i want to ask a little question :

Is the DVI2VGA Adaptor the little adaptor (same from the picture) sold with your graphic card or the big black one from Startech.com ?

TIA.

PS : I'm talking about this :

1298409952_7b0d11ae97.jpg

Hello everyone.

First, a BIG BIG THX to Netkas and everyone who helped to make this possible.

Before trying (i use actually a 8400GS on 2nd PCIE port) i want to ask a little question :

Is the DVI2VGA Adaptor the little adaptor (same from the picture) sold with your graphic card or the big black one from Startech.com ?

TIA.

PS : I'm talking about this :

1298409952_7b0d11ae97.jpg

Yes, that's good adapter

Installed the drivers for the HD4870 and rebooted, had to use the -x option after 1st reboot. All i got was a blue screen. After the 2nd boot I got the desktop runnning in 1680x1050 =D.

But i don't have QE/CI for some reason? anyone knows what I can do to fix that?

I have an MSI HD4870 with 512MB of RAM (witch also shows in hardware profiler)

The monitor is hooked up on the port closest to the mobo. card works with DVI connected and also when using a VGA Adapter.

edit: Problem solved, u need to use the OpenGL.Framework version 10.5.7 (for HD4870) otherwise it won't work with QE/CI.

-=[MrOiZo]=-

btw. this is awesome! thanks to all who figured this out!  :(

wow! didnt think this was going to happen!

so i got a couple of questions!

currently how stable is this? sabre mentioned that it was unusable for him? can i get rid of my 7300gt now or wait a bit till its 100% stable?

can i use my 4870x2 with this beauty?

thanks in advance!

4870x2 currently doesnt work with framebuffer

State of driver depends on apple/amd

can you see it becoming supported? even if its something like just enabling one core (i think you did this with the 3780x2)

i was commenting on the current state of the driver, not the future stability but it seems that it currently won't work for me anyway.

hope that this starts to give some 4780x2 love!!

in ur case it seems u need opengl.framework from 10.5.6 or 10.5.7

Netkas, i tested different OpenGL frameworks and i can confirm that, in my setup, OpenGL (and QE/CI) work only if i use 10.5.7 OpenGL.framework combined with 10.5.7 ATI kexts from IRC.

[Edit] I extracted the 10.5.6 OpenGL framework from 10.5.6 Combo Update but there's the chance it was not complete cause of some probably missing simlinks in the combo update package.

I can't get my hd4850 working ;/ When i plug-in DVI/VGA adapter to second DVI it's sometimes starting in 640x480 and when i change it to 1920x1200x76 (60hz don't exist) theres lots of bugs on screen and nothing happens. DVI/DVI don't work od any DVI connector, don't know why.

WOW.

Thats a big leap forward!

To cut it short:

I installed iPC 10.5.6 from scratch, installed the driver, rebooted with -f -v flags, aaaand....

t looks like it works perfectly! DVI (no replugs), correct resolution (1920x1200), no DVI2VGA adapter, everything supported, NO GLITCHES!

Well, at first.

For some reason (it doesn't even have to be the graphics drivers, to be honest), I get a kernel panic after a few minutes, telling me to report the issue to the Voodoo-Team. (AMD Phenom X4, so I use the 9.5.0 voodoo kernel)

My graphics card is a 4870 with 1024MB, by the way! :rolleyes:

Any ideas? :unsure:

Thank you so much!

I can confirm that QE/CI support on a HD4870 card (MSI HD4870 512MB in my case) requires the OpenGL.Framework v10.5.7 if u have 10.5.6 u won't get QE/CI support.

CycloneFr provided a link for the 10.5.7 Framework.

remove the old OpenGl.Framework copy this one in its place and repair the permissions. U can also do that using 'osx86 tools'. After a reboot u will have QE/CI support enabled.

misteroizo 

p.s. Yay!! QE/CI!!  :rolleyes: