What about the new ATI HD4850 ?

Soner

911 posts in this topic

Reading Nvidia's latest announcements and statements about Apple, I think we can forget ATI-equipped new models. They say OpenCL borrows a lot from Nvidia's CUDA and will require new drivers for Snow Leopard (which is being pushed for rapid release while MS still works on Seven). They also boast about how closely and for how long they worked with Apple on the MacBook.

When was the last new product Apple released with an ATI GPU? Probably the iMac, when the aluminum casing was introduced. Since then, they have upgraded it with a 8800 GS. There was the 3870 that became available for the Mac Pro (wait, only the 2600 is offered on the official website!), but the bulk of the options are still Nvidia. Most of Apple's line, excluding the Pro, is already taken care of with the 9400M (with another Nvidia chip attached to it if more performance is needed) that fits so well in all MacBooks and would be the easiest solution for updated iMacs or even the Mini (RIP?).

I know there are some lines of code mentioning ATI's 4000 series out there, but I believe we will be lucky if we get what we're waiting for anytime soon.

they still HAVE to support products like imacs/macpro (with 2600 cards) durring its support period

and it's amd who writing graphics drivers for osx (for radeons)

so, i'm sure we will see opencl working fine on top of ati cards.

and, btw, in terms of computing power, rv770 is more powerfull than gt200

Hello I'm french, i have install MACOS'S Kalyway 10.5.2 on Asus Maximus Extrem,on the suprem FxII the audio is ok but i have a HD4850 Crossfire does Ati make drivers for this ?

And just one Graphic card is already run on 1024x768 please help me to install something for a 1680x1050 screen resolution

Thank you

Sorry for my bad english

Let me answer in french :)

ErOtiiK, y'a pas encore de pilotes. Il semblerait qu'Ati soit en train d'en développer, mais il faut attendre pr le moment. Pour ta résolution, le 16/10e n'est pas natif, donc tu ne pourras avoir qu'une résolution 4/3 pour le moment tant qu'il n'y a pas de pilotes. Je te conseille de rester sur ton ancienne CG si tu fais que du leo.

I have hd 4850 and try to install Mac OS 10.5.5 leopard already 3 weeks. I tried other drivers, changed DivID in kext but unfortunately all my attempts have ended in failure :dev:

Maximal resolution on my 22 desktop is 1400x1050x32 ...

Please, tell me if you know how to fix it...

Thx dude. And, is there any way how to have OSx with 4870? I downloaded iDeneb 10.5.5 but it isnt problem take anotherone version.

NO - no actual and near future( next 3 montths) OS X Version will support 4XXX ATI.

Only way, for faster support would be if ATI itself sell Mac ATI 4XXX cards and give drivers for OS X.

i dunno if this means anything but http://forum.efi-x.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1394

in his signature it says:

Firmware: EFi-X Beta

Monitors: 6 x LG (24"), EIZO 30", Apple Cinema 30"

Case: Cooler Master - Cosmos 1000

Motherboard: GA-EX58-EXTREME

Processor: Intel Core i7 965 LGA 1366

RAM: 4GB DDR3 EFiX-Mem

Video Cards: ATI Radeon HD 4870x2, 2GB, DDR5

Hard Drives: 1 TB Western Digital

maybe this means he is running vista or something but maybe he is running 4870 with a beta version of the efi x firmware. I dunno but can keep your hopes up :gathering:

Well alot of 4xxx cards are supported in Snow Leo but there are indication of framebuffers that hasnt been included as far as Leopard thats to be seen in a week @ mac world if they kill of Radeon HD in imac

Here 4850 owner :wacko: Great card. So bad that is not supported by Mac OS X.

Is there any way to change resolution? Anything more than 1024*768? I have iDeneb installed with ATI HD Base. So funy to have this resolution on 22...

beh was looking at grabbing a 2400xt that were on sale at netlink for 15 bucks after rebate, but plunked a 3850 i managed to get ahold of for a few months instead into pci x#2 slot. saved 1 bios setup for mac with pci x #2 enabled, and another for the 4870 in pci x#1. works great, just hope driver support comes in a few months before i have to give up the xtra 3850 and waste some money on an obsolete yet supported card.

beh was looking at grabbing a 2400xt that were on sale at netlink for 15 bucks after rebate, but plunked a 3850 i managed to get ahold of for a few months instead into pci x#2 slot. saved 1 bios setup for mac with pci x #2 enabled, and another for the 4870 in pci x#1. works great, just hope driver support comes in a few months before i have to give up the xtra 3850 and waste some money on an obsolete yet supported card.

I also did it, i got a 6800 gt and saved 2 bios setup, hoping to sell it soon and use my 4850...

I own an ATI HD 4850 (Windows) and HD 2600XT (OS X). Currently I am trying to finish my G5 mod and to install Water Cooling system to cool CPU, VGA and chipset. I don't want to buy a waterblock for 2600xt as I hope support for 4850 is coming soon. Instead I am thinking of buying a passive HD2400Pro/HD2400XT/8400GS. Which one should I choose for OS X? I like ATI, but not sure whether 2400 is completely supported (I still use VGA and not DVI). Buying a passive cooling system for 2600xt is not an option, as I do not have enough space. Anybody wants to make a change?

ATI, please, release HD48xx series for MAC. Thanks.