OSX86 on Intel P45 chipset?

BiTRiP

818 posts in this topic

I'm all about helping someone, but you didn't even try. Look around the thread, THEN ask some Q's.

There's a modified BIOS 1004 for P5Q Pro that I am using with 10.5.4 that works great with iDeneb 10.5.4.

Also tried the mod BIOS with JaS 10.5.4, which also works.

Works for both the 9.4.0 and 9.2.0 kernels.

FYI, the built in Atheros LAN will not work.

I ended up installing a Realtek 8139 chipset card, which works great.

You can get the sound to work by using a different kext.

Attached is the mod BIOS and the sound kext files.

There's a modified BIOS 1004 for P5Q Pro that I am using with 10.5.4 that works great with iDeneb 10.5.4.

P5Q_PRO_1004_Modded_by_BiTRiP.zip

AppleAzaliaAudio.kext.zip

Anyone have any luck getting ethernet to work on the P5Q-Pro?? I tried the method here but it didn't work. My mobo only has 1 ethernet port. Alot of the talk here seems to be concerning the P5Q models with 2 ports. Any help would be great, everything's working except for that.

@Xaero

For sound I found a file on this forum (This topic) called P45audio.zip - that did the trick for me.

Thx delo will try that now :blink: I got a feeling i will end up buying a FW soundcard since im intersted into running Logic :thumbsup_anim:

It would be nice tho to get the default hardware to work 100% (if this is possible)

Anyone have any luck getting ethernet to work on the P5Q-Pro?? I tried the method here but it didn't work. My mobo only has 1 ethernet port. Alot of the talk here seems to be concerning the P5Q models with 2 ports. Any help would be great, everything's working except for that.

I gave upicon8.gif, spent $20.00 and got a NetGear GA311......icon4.gif

Kenny

Ok so i read like 15 of the 20 pages. and i am trying to figure out whats the case.

I have a P5Q Pro motherboard. I want to run osx86.

there is a modified bios for the mobo? will the modified bios mess up my vista installation.

what wont work in osx for the mobo?

can someone give me a link to the modified bios i will want to use. cuz i saw numerous posts about modified bios'

Ok so i read like 15 of the 20 pages. and i am trying to figure out whats the case.

I have a P5Q Pro motherboard. I want to run osx86.

there is a modified bios for the mobo? will the modified bios mess up my vista installation.

what wont work in osx for the mobo?

can someone give me a link to the modified bios i will want to use. cuz i saw numerous posts about modified bios'

The link to the modified BIOS is just a few messages up on this same page.

Regardless, here's the BIOS for the P5Q Pro that works with IDeneb or JaS 10.5.4.

P5Q_PRO_1004_Modded_by_BiTRiP.zip

A new bios is upcoming by Asus for the P5Q3.

Not available on their site yet but already modded by me! :rolleyes:

Enjoy this modded BIOS 1303.

BiTRiP.

Hi BiTRiP! Thanks for all your work (and of course Kabyl too!).

I notice Asus doesn't have 1303 posted, but they did post a 1306 on '2008/08/25'.

Did you or anyone create a modded version of the latest 1306 bios?

(PS. The newest modded one on osrom.net/biosmod is 1201, not your 1303 mod).

Thanks again!

(Been reading forums for some time, but just now purchased my P5Q3... ready to try some of this stuff out:)...

What do you guys recommend me to do? i want a new MB with more SATA ports :angel:

Can you recommend the Asus p5q deluxe? and will i be able to use all 8 sata ports?

or maybe the p5q3 deluxe?

and another thing, what is the drwback of the modded bios? is there any? since im going to run vista 64bit alongside

Dennis

What do you guys recommend me to do? i want a new MB with more SATA ports :D

Can you recommend the Asus p5q deluxe? and will i be able to use all 8 sata ports?

At least 6 :):D

As for the 2 others there are some drivers around. I haven't tried it yet.

Well, I am running the Asus P5Q Pro though. It also has 8 SATA ports.

So it's pretty much like the Deluxe Version?! *crossing fingers* :dev:

have you gotten ICH10/raid working? and multi cores?

ICH10

Well, so far so good. I don't know exactly what you mean.

As for me it was more important to get a fully working Quartz Extreme and Core Image Graphics Card, like the Radeon 3870.

Raid

I haven't tried yet, cause I don't have two harddisks.

As for multi cores.

Yep, yep, yep, yep! :D

I am using this Quad-core machine for 3D modeling and rendering. The Mac Pro was double the price, so it was a good deal after all. Although the construction of a totally new PC was cumbersome for me. :wacko:

Keep in mind that built in Ethernet and Audio still doesn't work as expected. I wonder if it ever will. :rolleyes:

I have P5Q Pro motherboard with C2D E6300, 4GB of DDR2 800Mhz Ram and GeForce 9800GT 512MB.

I have serious issues while trying run os x.

I have used the modded bios from this forum. Having done that I have managed to install iAtkos v1.0i 10.5.1 (none other distro either Kalyway or Leo4All did not work with the installation throwing kernel panics at various stages)

iAtkos was installed with vanilla kernel and Efi. Had to disable nvinject and e2fs and ntfs3g install options as they have been causing kernel panics. Apart from that system run fine, no gfx, sound or net yet but that can be fixed later.

Having installed that i have tried Kalyway 10.5.3 combo updated and installed the vanilla kernel 9.3 along with it as well.

Now after reboot it does have problems finding the root drive.

The Error is:

Failed to load extension com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIPort

This is quite strange as it was working ok with the 10.5.1 iatkos.

Please see the attached screenshot.

Any ideas on how I can resolve this issue ?

grab.jpg

I have P5Q Pro motherboard with C2D E6300, 4GB of DDR2 800Mhz Ram and GeForce 9800GT 512MB.

I have serious issues while trying run os x.

I have used the modded bios from this forum. Having done that I have managed to install iAtkos v1.0i 10.5.1 (none other distro either Kalyway or Leo4All did not work with the installation throwing kernel panics at various stages)

iAtkos was installed with vanilla kernel and Efi. Had to disable nvinject and e2fs and ntfs3g install options as they have been causing kernel panics. Apart from that system run fine, no gfx, sound or net yet but that can be fixed later.

Having installed that i have tried Kalyway 10.5.3 combo updated and installed the vanilla kernel 9.3 along with it as well.

Now after reboot it does have problems finding the root drive.

The Error is:

Failed to load extension com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIPort

This is quite strange as it was working ok with the 10.5.1 iatkos.

Please see the attached screenshot.

Any ideas on how I can resolve this issue ?

grab.jpg

I'm no MAC guru but I got everything (except LAN) working and running vanilla kernal with my P5Q-Pro (after a week of battle) so I might be able to help. In the end, it was all relatively simple after I had determined what was causing the problems. Need some more info on you system setup first. Your specs sound relatively close to mine. My original setup was:

P5Q-Pro

e8500 (3.16 Dual Core)

4GB DDR2 800 Corsair XMS

9600GT (which I have since RMA'd for an 8800GT after I found out there were no drivers for the 9600GT)

640GB SATA II Drive

Sata DVD Drive (original was trying IDE drive but the install will not work with an IDE as I eventually found out)

Questions are these:

Exactly which modded bios did you use?

Are you using a SATA DVD Drive?

Do you have AHCI enabled in the bios?

For the most part I have had no kernal panics (one in the very beginning), but that's because I tried something stupid. My nvinject, NTFS-3G, etc. are all working fine. FYI, I have no experience with it personally, but I've heard quite frequently that iAtkos is unstable. I don't know how valid that statement is but it's what I hear. I used Kalaway 10.5.2 so I know for certain it will install without issues, you're probably just missing something somewhere. Let me know the answers to those questions and we'll continue from there. Message me if you'd like.

I'm no MAC guru but I got everything (except LAN) working and running vanilla kernal with my P5Q-Pro (after a week of battle) so I might be able to help. In the end, it was all relatively simple after I had determined what was causing the problems. Need some more info on you system setup first. Your specs sound relatively close to mine. My original setup was:

P5Q-Pro

e8500 (3.16 Dual Core)

4GB DDR2 800 Corsair XMS

9600GT (which I have since RMA'd for an 8800GT after I found out there were no drivers for the 9600GT)

640GB SATA II Drive

Sata DVD Drive (original was trying IDE drive but the install will not work with an IDE as I eventually found out)

Questions are these:

Exactly which modded bios did you use?

Are you using a SATA DVD Drive?

Do you have AHCI enabled in the bios?

For the most part I have had no kernal panics (one in the very beginning), but that's because I tried something stupid. My nvinject, NTFS-3G, etc. are all working fine. FYI, I have no experience with it personally, but I've heard quite frequently that iAtkos is unstable. I don't know how valid that statement is but it's what I hear. I used Kalaway 10.5.2 so I know for certain it will install without issues, you're probably just missing something somewhere. Let me know the answers to those questions and we'll continue from there. Message me if you'd like.

Ok I have managed to get it running. It turned out that I had to set Plug & Play OS in Bios to Yes for it to work. iatkos 10.5.4 installed out of the box, nvinstaller0.52 got my graphic card working and for the net I am using the old pci realtek card which I had from my very old box. Now all I need to get running is the sound. Which drived did you use ? HDAudio, Azalia, HDAEnabler ? Thanks in advance.

Hey guys and gals,

I installed Kalyway 10.5.1 and it worked fine. I used the 10.5.3 combo updater, and now when booting I'm stuck at a forever looping loading screen. When I go into verbose mode, it seems to get stuck at loading from the HDD. I'm using a USB HDD if that makes any difference? No other errors, I've tried idlehalt=0 which usually has gotten me out of tight spots to no avail. 

Would a kext that has been installed from the 10.5.3 update be screwing with how the USB HDD operates? 

Hey guys and gals,

I installed Kalyway 10.5.1 and it worked fine. I used the 10.5.3 combo updater, and now when booting I'm stuck at a forever looping loading screen. When I go into verbose mode, it seems to get stuck at loading from the HDD. I'm using a USB HDD if that makes any difference? No other errors, I've tried idlehalt=0 which usually has gotten me out of tight spots to no avail.

Would a kext that has been installed from the 10.5.3 update be screwing with how the USB HDD operates?

unplug all usb storage media before installation. I've run into very same problem and it took me a while to realise what went wrong. also in my case switiching to plug and play os = yes in bios solved most of the issues.

Question to all P45 people:

My parts arrive tomorrow, and I hope to run 64-bit XP and OSx86 (Kalyway_10.5.2_DVD_Intel_Amd)

Mobo:Asus P5Q-E

Q6600 OC'd @ 3.0 (hopefully)

XFX GeForce 8800 GT 512MB

8 GB DDR2 800 MHz

4 x SATA HD

IDE DVD

1. Does it matter which OS I install first?
  2. Should I have both NTFS drives and HFS+ drives, and install Mediafour's MacDrive? (I will have files larger than 4 GB, so FAT32 isn't appealing.)
  3. Will flashing a modified BIOS potentially have adverse effects on my 64-bit XP OS?
  4. Can I setup a RAID 1 (or RAID 5) in XP (and have it maintained in OSx86)? Do I need separate drives for each OS because of the different file systems?
  5. Can I even do the OSx86 install without a SATA optical drive?
  6. Will all updated BIOSes for my mobo require modding in order for me to use them?

Any suggestions now might save me a few days of tinkering and troubleshooting. Thanks to everyone for their keen and adept problem solving. This thread was a pleasure to read.