OSX86 on Intel P45 chipset?

BiTRiP

818 posts in this topic

I just re-flashed my bios on my Asus P5Q-SE board and it said it was successful. Once the BIOS is flashed shouldn't I be able to just put in one of my Kalaway or iAtkos distros and cruise right along because I am still have trouble just getting the disk to boot. Does anyone have a detailed method AFTER the bios has been flashed? Thanks fellas.

-Spence

I have a P5Q-Pro with 1306 BIOS (not the modded one around here), and just for the sake of doing something interesting, decided to install Kalyway 10.5.1 DVD - and it successfully installed. Here are my BIOS settings:

CPU Configuration:

- CPU Ratio = Auto

-Everything else such as C1, Speedstep, Disabled Execution etc DISABLED

Set SATA Controller to AHCI

Power:

- S3

- ACPI 2.0 = DISABLED

Boot with the Kalyway DVD - you don't need "cpus=1" or any such commands. The boot and setup initiation process takes a while, be patient.

Once you get to the "Customise" install screen, tick ONLY "MBR" and "SSE2", leave everything else such as vanilla kernel, nvinject etc UNTICKED. Continue with install, this should take another 10 - 15mis or so.

The install will Restart your machine. If you've done the above correctly, you should now be able to boot into OS X without the DVD, or any special commands such as "-v..." and so on.

Let it boot straight into OS X without the DVD or any other commads. Then it's just a matter of updating your graphics driver and everything else that can be updated (if available). My PCI Wifi card works instantly upon the first boot. AHCI controller is listed as Unknown, but all HDDs are working. I don't have any HDD connected to the Marvell controller.

What I do know about the P5Q-Pro's sound is, it uses a custom-made-for Asus Realtek Audio chip. You will not find the drivers for it on the Realtek website (even if you use Windows). Therefore, finding a fully working OS X driver is probably not possible - unless a talented person volunteers.

Hi!

I have news:

the CPU works (all 4 cores are perfectly working).

And the ethernet (only the first port. The second doesn't seem to work).

Now I'm writing from the 10.5.4 and I'm updating to the 10.5.5.

Audio is a far thing, right now.

I've installed AppleAzaliaAudio (from p45audio.zip), skge.kext. ALCinject.kext and AppleHDA.kext.

From all that kext (I saw many guides, yesterday), only LAN started to work after setup.

Suggestions?

Only Audio and the Radeon are the thing that give me problems.

I've read that there aren't drivers for the Radeon 4850. How can I force to set a 1280x1024 resolution?

Hello,

I have already read much of the thread here and this is what I have experienced. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I own an Asus P5Q Deluxe (flashed with P5Q_Deluxe_1201_Modded_by_BiTRiP.ROM), C2D E8400 3.0 ghz, ATI Radeon 3870, 4 GB 800Mhz DDR2 RAM, 500 Gb HD and an IDE DVD-writer connected to a IDE/USB 2.0 cable. I am using Kalyway's 10.5.2

I've adjusted the BIOS setting as according to DocShadow's, palmtree953's and MiahX (of course in different occasions) but none of these setup work.

So I try to experiment and observed that when I disable the ACPI APIC support, I get the infinite apple gray screen.

If I enable ACPI APIC support, I get the "You must restart your computer" error.

So basically, I never get pass these problems. I tried booting with -v or -x, the computer would automatically restart.

It is possible that even though I have successfully installed the Leopard via DVD, it is still the culprit? I noted that I could not perform the verification of the disk since at 20 something percent, the window would disappear and the verification process would hang but if I skip it, it would install without any errors and ultimately show the "Restarting computer" window.

Again, thank you for the help.

@ BiTRiP

Are you getting slow hard drive recognition speeds? Especially for installations? Everytime i go to install something it takes like a minute or two, rather than a few seconds, to find the hard drive to install it on. What's more, sometimes it doesn't find it at all and i have to close the installer and open it again. Same goes for my SATA part on About this Mac, and for Disk utility

It's just strange, maybe it's because i'm running on a generic AHCI kext?

jofman101190, I'm running on a P5Q-E (ICH10R) and also notice long waits, disk utility is the most annoying since it hangs for a while every time I launch it and I've been doing a lot of work formatting recently.

I'm still looking for help in collecting just the necessary kexts for the p5q series, (focusing on my p5q-e first)

I plan to release a boot132 disk once I have something working.

I have a P5Q-E and I successfully installed Mac OSX.

BIOS settings:

AHCI (Windows doesn't work until I set "IDE" mode... but I know that if you install a specific driver, XP will start in AHCI mode).

I have 2 SATA HD and one SATA DVD (originally PATA, used an adaptor).

Started with Jas 10.5.4 and I had a lot of problems.

Today I tried iDeneb and all is working.

I selected "Marvell Drivers", "appleazaliaaudio", "Radeon HD generic" (or something similar) and kernel 9.4.0.

Ehternet drivers are installed and working. The HD 4850 is working, but the resolution is still 1024.768.

How can I force to 1280x1024?

Hi all,

new here, very much enjoyed reading the topics here.

I got a P5Q deluxe on 1306 bios here and tried Kalyway and Ibened, both installed fine but after rebooting they are stuck on "the grey apple screen".

Could someone please mod the 1306 bios by asus for the p5q deluxe? Would be very appreciated! Hopefully that will fix my problems (tried everything from different options with install, till all various bios settings etc)

http://dlsvr04.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket...DELUXE-1306.zip

I own an Asus P5Q Deluxe (flashed with P5Q_Deluxe_1201_Modded_by_BiTRiP.ROM), C2D E8400 3.0 ghz, ATI Radeon 3870, 4 GB 800Mhz DDR2 RAM, 500 Gb HD and an IDE DVD-writer connected to a IDE/USB 2.0 cable. I am using Kalyway's 10.5.2

I've adjusted the BIOS setting as according to DocShadow's, palmtree953's and MiahX (of course in different occasions) but none of these setup work.

That's very interesting. Although some have had no problems with the modded 1201, I could not get it to work. Try the BitTrip's modded 1306 ... it worked OK for me. He posted it earlier on in this thread.

Doc

Re: P5Q3 and DDR3-1333: Made some progress...

A Quad Core and 4 memory modules wich 2 GB each on 1333 MHz?

As you can read in most support forums, people have problems with ram and with Quad Cores on this board. They can run their quad core with ram set 1066 stable. 2 GB rams modules are more complicated and you have 4 of them on 1333.

Read many forums about it, specially at OCZ about settings in BIOS but all people have different results.

OCZ recommends to set the DRAM Voltage to something between 1.70 and 1.80.

I have mine on 1.72 now and its much better, but some have it more close to 1.80.

Try it, it probably will become more stable.

Thank you BiTRiP and boobminks for your suggestions and info! I see now -- yeah, quite a lot of posts of trouble with this board and 1333 RAM. I think BiTRiP's voltage suggestion was also right-on. Another week of reading and trying things out, but I think I may finally have a stable system... here's what I tried and observed:

(Re: previous post: I was first trying to get Vista64 stable, since it too was freezing up). I noticed that after having to push the reset button, sometimes it would just reset my BIOS settings and I would have to go back in and re-load them again. I'm guessing it would reset to some "fail-safe" settings thinking my settings were bad (even though they were practically all Defaults)... interesting when I looked at the DRAM timings: they were different in this "fail-safe" from when I normally went into the BIOS to see what the timings were. Normally (again, everything is default/auto) I would see:

1st: 8-8-8-24-4-60-10-5, 2nd: 9-5-8-4-9-7, 3rd: 21-7-1-9-9

But when it took me into this "fail safe" (as I decided to call it) I would see:

1st: 7-7-7-20-4-60-10-5, 2nd: 8-5-6-4-7-4-7, 3rd: 21-7-1-8-8

The second set of numbers seemed more 'correct' to me since my RAM is packaged as '7-7-7-20'. So I changed these settings: DRAM Freq: DDR3-1333MHz, 1st Timing: Manual: 7, 7, 7, 20 (everything else left as Auto). Now when I went in to BIOS, I would see the same timing numbers as "fail safe" (for all 3 sets as above). Vista64 passed Memory Diagnostics and IntelBurnTest, and also has not freezed up anymore since! Unfortunately, booting into Kalyway natively would still freeze up even with these changes (more changes later:).

Next I tried VMware with Kalyway using Vista as the host. Note you have to get v6.5 workstation beta (Kalyway doesn't work with 6.0). This worked reasonably well. I had to use the default sleep kernel; vanilla would crash the VM immediately, even though the vanilla one seemed to give me the best results when trying native boot. Also for the display, it seemed I had to enter "Graphics Mode"="1680x1050x32@60" at boot (or whatever) to get that display, as it wouldn't otherwise let me change it. Use FreeBSD 64 in the settings. I tried giving it physical access to my hard drive with OSX partitions, but it wouldn't work for some reason. However when I used a different hard drive and used Disk Utility to format it and install through the VM, it did work (and I could boot with it natively also, so I don't know what the difference is, but it seems to like 'creating' it in order for it to work).

These are the other 'issues' I found using OS X in VM under Vista:

- Fullscreen: the mouse would sometimes think it has hit the edge of the screen when it hasn't (ie: could be in the middle of the screen somewhere and you can't go left or up anymore). I found you then move the mouse to the opposite edge and then try again and it would usually fix it until it got stuck again next time.

- I have an actual Mac USB keyboard, but in the VM I have to use 'alt/option' key instead of the actual command key (ie: 'alt/option' + Q to quit, instead of cmd + Q). Windows treats the command key like the 'Windows' key, but I don't know how this can be re-mapped in the VM. On a similar note, when using the Mac keyboard for Windows I can't seem to access Print Screen (this suggestion didn't seem to work for me; could be because Vista wants something different: http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/20838 ).

- Mouse movement seemed very fast (had to slow it right down in the preferences; even then, didn't have the right 'feel' to me).

- After idle for a long time (many hours), I would come back to it and it would seem like it still works, but any opened app would then enter 'spinning wheel' state after I tried interacting with it (Finder included). [Might have to try again after further BIOS changes made; see below... My post is long again, sorry--hopefully useful for someone tho:) ]

To fix system from freezing with native Kalyway boot, I took BiTRiP's suggestion and increased the DRAM Voltage setting. The lowest setting that worked for me was 1.80V. I used Rember to verify that the system was 'stable' (In all other cases, if it even was stable enough to get to this point, it would freeze as soon as I started the test; even at 1.78V it froze, but 1.80V worked). http://www.kelleycomputing.net:16080/rember/ (Prior to this I did lower it to DDR3-1066 or DDR3-1111 (with everything else Auto) and this seemed to work as well). Under 1.8V setting, it tested 7308M and took 4359 seconds (yeah that's not ALL the memory, but some of it seems to always be in use).

Further, I tested VMware Fusion, and this worked too. I installed a copy of XP and it seems fine (didn't do much other than boot it, really). It also detected 3 "Boot Camp" partitions (no idea why '3'), and I 'guessed' the first one must be my Vista64 install, and yes, that booted up too (worked in Unity mode too, very nice:). I wasn't sure how to get the 2nd NTFS partition usable in the VM; I could 'share' it from the Mac side but then it's read-only. NOTE: It installed VM Tools on my system, and also all the Asus utilities failed with many error dialogs on boot up. After I natively booted back into my Vista64, the Asus SixEngine tray icon was no longer there (I can run it manually and change mode to get it back), and it does seem to me that Vista now takes a little longer to start up; no idea what else was done to it... (so you might not want to try this if you value your Windows install:). Some desktop shortcuts also lost their icon pictures for some reason (but work still). When I first clicked this "Boot Camp" partition in OSX it told me it was "preparing" it for use; not sure what it was doing though. Also note that the CPU is now reported as 2.83GHz after the POST (prior to the voltage change I recall it said 2.84). I'm using the vanilla kernel, and for some reason I also have to use maxmem=8192 (even though that _should_ be the maximum anyway) ; for some reason it would still freeze during RAM test if I didn't use maxmem - no idea why; I re-tried this test several times, and it seems consistent that it wants that line).

To recap, this is what I have right now for BIOS Settings (all defaults except these):

Legacy Diskette A: Disabled, Configure SATA as: AHCI

DRAM Freq: DDR3-1333MHz, DRAM Timing: Manual: (1st four entries after) 7, 7, 7, 20

DRAM Voltage: 1.80

PCIPnP, Plug and Play O/S: Yes, Power Suspend Mode: Auto

Hware Monitor, CPU & Chassis Q-Fan: Enabled, Silent, Boot Settings Config, Full Screen Logo: Disabled

Express Gate, Enter OS Timer: Prompt User

[Vista64, Kalyway 10.5.2]

ASUS P5Q3 Deluxe, BIOS Rev 1402(BiTRiP), Express Gate v1.3.3.1

Intel Core2Quad Q9550 2.83GHz Yorkfield 1333FSB

8.00 GB RAM (4 sticks; OCZ3P1333 DDR3-1333 CL 7-7-7-20 Dual Channel)

Zotac GeForce 8800 GT AMP! Edition 512MB PCI-Express x16

Attached are some quick snapshots (I should have google'd how to screen capture in OSX). Thanks again everyone! If you have any ideas on other things to try, or how to get around some of the issues I experienced, let me know. :blink:

Attachments:

2-OSX-VMhosting-Vista64-SixEngine-Fail

3-OSX-VMhosting-Vista64-IntelBurnTest

4-OSX-VMhosting-Vista64-Unity

5-Vista64-after-bootcamp-desktop-icons

1-Vista64-VMhosting-OSX-spinningwheel-after-idle

0-Vista64-VMhosting-OSX-existing-harddrive

post-276284-1223280410_thumb.jpg

post-276284-1223280418_thumb.jpg

post-276284-1223280431_thumb.jpg

post-276284-1223280443_thumb.jpg

post-276284-1223281785_thumb.jpg

post-276284-1223282241_thumb.jpg

This mobo is my worst buy this year. I have stability issues with this mobo too. No matter its windows or OSX, also with unmodded BIOS.

Problem is P45 chipset in combination with DDR3 memory, specially with this board.

I have 4GB OCZ 1333 memory (2x2GB) and got hangs several times.

Read many forums about it, specially at OCZ about settings in BIOS but all people have different results.

OCZ recommends to set the DRAM Voltage to something between 1.70 and 1.80.

I have mine on 1.72 now and its much better, but some have it more close to 1.80.

Try it, it probably will become more stable.

BiTRiP

I don't have any problems with the P5Q Deluxe and OCZ memory, but did have endless issues with the P5B.

In trying to resolve the issues with the P5B, OCZ recommend running my Reaper memory at 1.9V. I'm using this voltage on the P5Q and have had no memory related problems.

Doc

Hello all.

I have been trying to instal leopard from akalyway 10.5.2 disk from past few days with no luck.

My specs are P5Q deluxe mobo, intel quad core 9450 processor 3 gb ram (2+1) nvidia 7300 GS graphics card sata disks with ahci turnd on.

I have tried to install on both the 0803 unmodded and the modded versions with no luck.the instal stops at different places depending upon the chnages in the bios and this is how far i get. I have disabled max cpuid and the firewire. Iam attaching a screenshot in hope of finding an answer.

Would be grateful for any help.

dsc00400om0.th.jpg

Thanks

Theron

Hello all.

I have been trying to instal leopard from akalyway 10.5.2 disk from past few days with no luck.

My specs are P5Q deluxe mobo, intel quad core 9450 processor 3 gb ram (2+1) nvidia 7300 GS graphics card sata disks with ahci turnd on.

I have tried to install on both the 0803 unmodded and the modded versions with no luck.the instal stops at different places depending upon the chnages in the bios and this is how far i get. I have disabled max cpuid and the firewire. Iam attaching a screenshot in hope of finding an answer.

Would be grateful for any help.

Do you have SATA drives and HDD configured as AHCI in BIOS?

ciao a tutti avrei bisogno di un aiuto ho una motherboard maximus II FORMULA p45 mi vede solo un core

facendo una ricerca e leggendo su questo forum anche se d'inglese capisco ben poco çé bisogno di un bios modificato potreste aiutarmi? Maximus II Formula 1307 BIOS non riesco a mettereil link il sever asus è out grazie

translate:hello to everyone I need help I have a motherboard maximus formula II P45 I see only a core

doing research and reading on this forum although I understand English very little çê need a modified bios you could help me? Maximus II Formula 1307 BIOS can not sever the link mettereil asus is out thanks